test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry's Siren Call

lovepeaslovepeas Member Posts: 162 Arc User
Hi! It's super nice to meet you and/or get reacquainted with old foundry companions.

I have been away for a couple of years but really miss the opportunity to create stories so I'm thinking of returning. I was remembering fondly the 100s of hours spent creating Nightmare on Market Street and My Best Friend's Evil Wedding and wanted to pop back in.

Just curious what cool new tools the authors have now and if the Foundry is more stable than it was a back in 2013.

-Amy aka Lovepeas
The Delusions Quartet
Act 1: Nightmare on Market Street
Act 2: My Best Friend's Evil Wedding

Comments

• redfireeeredfireee Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Welcome back!

I can't remember exactly when you last played, but since launch we've gotten several new encounter sets, including the single unit friendly Advneturer Encounters. We've also gotten several new detail sets, a vastly improved 3d editor, and the "Room Builder" system, which makes creating custom indoor maps much easier.

As far as stability goes, it tends to go down for a bit after new modules, which it's always done until they republish everything. Aside from that though, I don't crash in it any more than I do in the live game, which is pretty rare.
  • essentiessenti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 303 Arc User
    Welcome back, and thank you for making The Delusion Quartet foundries, those were some of the first foundries I played so long ago.

There are quite a few things different with the foundry, depending on how long ago you left. We have the ability to add and manipulate objects in the 3D preview mode, as well as a free camera mode (basically flying around). Thus 3D creation of maps is quite a bit easier. We also have some completely empty rooms for custom interior building in addition to the Dungeon Builder tileable assets. There are several new base maps to work with, including an all water and all sky map.

Unfortunately, they have introduced several really irritating bugs with the last two modules (from which we saw virtual NO new content or positive changes in the foundry). Namely that using teleporters while in 3D Preview mode will bug the preview instance. And the latest bug is that trying to set a sound effect asset will crash the editor...

So many authors have left, it is good to see you have returned to check it out again. I fear that the trend of developer apathy toward the Foundry has not significantly improved in the time you have been away, most likely just the opposite.
    Campaign - Trail of the Imaskarcana (NWS-DMFG77QOF)
    • A Mere Expedition! (NW-DIAAPG3S4)
    • Work In Progress on Part 2
  • valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    lovepeas said:

Hi! It's super nice to meet you and/or get reacquainted with old foundry companions.

I have been away for a couple of years but really miss the opportunity to create stories so I'm thinking of returning. I was remembering fondly the 100s of hours spent creating Nightmare on Market Street and My Best Friend's Evil Wedding and wanted to pop back in.

Just curious what cool new tools the authors have now and if the Foundry is more stable than it was a back in 2013.

-Amy aka Lovepeas

WoW!! One of the best authors I've ever seen!! Welcome back!

I hope you do some new Foundry, but as Essenti said, there some irritating bugs...
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • lovepeaslovepeas Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Great info! Thanks :)

Is there still a foundry author chat channel in game? Also, (perhaps wishful thinking) is there a foundry author guild?

I can't wait to try out some of the new foundry titles that you all have been crafting. Any suggestions on what to try first?
    Post edited by lovepeas on
    The Delusions Quartet
  • essentiessenti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Zone chat in the Foundry is occupied solely by fellow Authors, though it is mostly quiet these days. I don't know of any custom chat channels that are very active, although NW_Foundry channel still has some folks listed as Online in there.

There are quite a few new quests that you should definitely try out. I recommend trying out quests by @Locksheon, @Torontodave, @grimah, @Kithlis, @GruffyDD, and @prettycelt 's "Turtle Soup". There are many others and I wish I had the search feature open right now to go through my subscriptions. There are a lot of great creations by new authors, but they remain buried beneath far too many "Quick Review" type quests.

I think you would enjoy running through my own quest: "A Mere Expedition!" (NW-DIAAPG3S4)
    Campaign - Trail of the Imaskarcana (NWS-DMFG77QOF)
    • A Mere Expedition! (NW-DIAAPG3S4)
    • Work In Progress on Part 2
    edited September 2015
    @Lovepeas you can join us on facebook if you want: Cryptic Foundry Authors.

Please try mine: NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal

And I think that one is pretty awesome: Drowned shore disembark #ds#

B)
    Post edited by valcontar73 on

Foundry Grand Master.
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Ha! 'Best Friends Evil Wedding' was the last foundry I played before deciding "Yep. I'm gonna try out this Foundry editor thingy"

If I recall, I was able to look into the mirror from the other room.. ;D I reported that bug in my review. =D

And yea, while we don't have a plethora of new tools to show off, I can at least say the Foundry is more stable than it was. It also auto-saves progress that can usually be recovered after a crash. =D

My quest "To Infinity, and BEYOND!" was featured, and while @strumslinger hasn't played it yet, he promised he would. Maybe TODAY'S THE DAY, ANDY? TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 22nd IS THE DAY? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

and once he realizes its superfun, he'll FEATURE THE SEQUEL, 'The Black Pearl' CAUSE ITS ALSO FUN. AND TUESDAYS ARE FOUNDRY UPDATE DAYS.

In fact, If R.A. Salvatore were to WATCH YOU PLAYING 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' It would give him all kinds of great ideas for the story cause he'll see some of the COOL parts of the engine? (pitfalls, sky changes, bat effects, active sounds tied to quest changes ;D)

@badbotlimit @panderus @dextructoid @goatshark @asterdahl @commanderander should also play it. It's really fun.
    "To Infinity, and BEYOND!" - Live 1.2 (My version. Has a teleporter to skip the jumping puzzle)
    (The 'Featured' version is 1.0 and is pre-mod6, so encounters are too hard for you devs *chuckle* ;D )

The links are in my signature (and work now)
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
    I got the chance to play through A Mere Expedition tonight and was so impressed. Amazing work!

I'm looking forward to trying the others tomorrow.

Last question... (for now :) ) Any chance there is a foundry author voice chat? I'd love to hook up with you creative types but don't seem to be hitting the right corners of the game just yet.
    The Delusions Quartet
    No foundry author voice chat, I guess we will need to use skype or raidcall or any other external voice chat.

Foundry Grand Master.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    lovepeas said:

I got the chance to play through A Mere Expedition tonight and was so impressed. Amazing work!

I was too! It's one of the top tier works to come out of foundry the past year. I'm surprised how successful it has been doing considering it has yet to be featured, and was created during the time foundry started to stagnate
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    Welcome back. currently the foundry is not really at its best time. several nasty bugs and we haven't got much in the last modules.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    Just finished The Lost Seneschal part 1. So fun... and I loved following the Eagle.
    The Delusions Quartet
  • waryurwaryur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    !!!Lovepeas!!!
    Welcome back! We've not met, but you were pretty much the biggest inspiration for me to become a foundry author. Some of the things you pulled off with only the 2D editor really got me excited about the capabilities in the foundry. I've always recommended your work to newer authors or players. And like them and many others, been waiting for the sequals to your quartet for two years too lol.
    As for Foundry Authors Guild, I can only think of Mythweavers but I'm sure there are others.
    Again, welcome back. Despite the many many bugs and obstacles and lack of new content, we still plug away.
    Looking forward to chatting with you!
    Hidden Valley Ranch - NW-DPNGENL6E D&D Adventures Part I
    House of 1000 Corpses - NW-DIEYVLCML D&D Adventures Part II
    Well of Dragons - NW-DTPJEKZCT Third Place Winner CotD Foundry Contest
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1 - NW-DM8GHAME2 Monty Python!
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 2 - NW-DFADOS4EX Monty Python!
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    Well, this is odd, because I'm sorta related to someone who was in the actual film. It's best to not discuss it here though, as I've never met them in person. I also don't want people to think I have access to that individual either. Certainly welcome back, it's nice to see a familiar name. We've been slowly dropping in population lately, and the foundry has suffered greatly from a lack of attention. If you'd like to try my quest you are most welcome. Also, like Valcontar said, look into our Facebook group. We are able to express some concerns more openly there, and it's moderation free.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
    <3 Thanks for the kind (re)welcome. I'll check out the Facebook group. We should totally set up a voice chat so we can keep each other company as we adjust y-values n stuff.
    The Delusions Quartet