test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Upgrading Enchantments

armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
I've not upgraded any enchantments yet, I've always bought from the AH as the 1% chance using a standard ward has always put me off.

Can someone please tell me what the best (i.e. cheapest) way to do it is and if it's using standard wards, what's the average number you get through for a success?

Cheers
Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
Xane De Armadeon: CW
Zen De Armadeon: OP
Zohar De Armadeon: TR
Chrion De Armadeon: SW
Gosti Big Belly: GWF
Barney McRustbucket: GF
Lt. Thackeray: HR
Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox

Comments

• nickinightnickinight Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    Coalescent wards give you a 100% chance. It's probably extremely rare that you'll get a success with the standard wards.

If you've opened any lockboxes, you could use your tradebars to buy coalescents, they cost 200 bars each.
    Lvl 70 HR Mistress Fleur | Lvl 70 TR Countess Myra
    1. "Cleric: Protect at all costs.
    2. Rest of Group: Expendable."
    GT= NikkiNight (Looking for new peeps to run ANY dungeons/skirmishes with. GS irrelevant)
  • blindmonkeyzblindmonkeyz Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    use Coalescent wards for armor and weapon enchantments, and use preservation wards for your regular enchants like radiant, dark, azure and such.
    XB One
    LGPG Alliance
    Reagents of Death - Leader
    CW - Phoenix lvl 70 4034 (Main)
    GF - Spectre lvl 70 4012 (Main)
    GWF - Ice lvl 70 4010 (Main)
    SW - Zor lvl 70 3230 (Main)
    OP - Box lvl 70 3002 (Retired)

PS4
    Look Good Play Good
    GWF - Ice lvl 70 3875 (Main)
    GF - Spectre lvl 70 2669 (Alt)

• randomdigits#2166 randomdigits Member Posts: 700 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

Can someone please tell me what the best (i.e. cheapest) way to do it is and if it's using standard wards, what's the average number you get through for a success?

As a geek and math major I can answer about the average number of attempts till success:
    The keyword to google here is "negative binomial distribution" with p=0.01.

The average number of attempts (assuming there is no special server logic to make it up for a person who ran long series of failing attempts, which I would personally recommend to all game developers) is equal to 100. The probability that you'll need 100 or less attempts is equal to ~63.4%.
    Ana Taletreader (CW) / Friend of Casual Gamers
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    lol ouch that's a lot :P I guess the reason for finding lesser armor & weapon enchantments on the AH for less than the cost of a coal ward is down to people that open lockboxes using up these 'free' wards?

That was always the thing I didn't get - if it costs 200k+ AD for a coal ward, why are some up there for 100k...

Cause no one buys the at 200K?
    E.g they bought them long time ago and now no longer need them.
  • thejawlivesthejawlives Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    Purchased with trade bars (200) from lock boxes...I do not believe they are bound, but could be wrong!
  • bratleyraybratleyray Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    Trade bar coals are bound on pick up

[The Legendary Outlaws] (Guildhall 20)

I stand corrected.
  • bagoatbagoat Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    It would only make sense that any item that can be bought from an NPC vendor would go for less in the AH, regardless of wether the seller needs them or got them "free" from a box. If the seller posts for the the same as or more than the NPC, the buyer will simply buy from NPC for convenience sake.
    It would make sense yes.
    Yet for some of the cheapest items I've noticed many times in Mod 5 that people just so much used to buying everything from AH (or they just don't know of Wondrous Bazaar) that they would pay 20-50% over.
    Like for Id scrolls and Lesser Marks.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User

use Coalescent wards for armor and weapon enchantments, and use preservation wards for your regular enchants like radiant, dark, azure and such.

Actually, before using the preservation wards check the price of the ward vs the refining stone being consumed for things like the azures. i've found that in many instances the wards are more expensive then the stone you're trying to preserve.

cool I've decided I'm going to get vip so at least I get the trade bars from lockboxes ;)

edited September 2015
    Do trade bars come from VIP lockboxes? I don't recall seeing them. I imagine they nerf the "free" key...makes sense as I never get anything of substance

More like my RNG perhaps
  • stercesderisedstercesderised Member Posts: 334 Arc User

Do trade bars come from VIP lockboxes? I don't recall seeing them. I imagine they nerf the "free" key...makes sense as I never get anything of substance

More like my RNG perhaps

yeah, they come from lockboxes and are gauranteed every opening. However, it seems like they dropped the tradebar amount you get from the boxes from 7-10 to 4-8ish after VIP launched. (someone plz throw a shocked face up). I'm sure it's just me though...
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    It depends on the lockbox and what the other reward is
    Hmm yeah maybe the new lockboxes drop fewer of them - I've a ton of the older ones though..

I stand corrected again....

I thought the VIP keys were nerfed, but this weekend I got Brilliant Diamond! I never got one in the hundreds of boxes opened over the past year!!

Thank you VIP

I now return you to your regularly discussed post!
  • cycloptomesecycloptomese Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Since the game came out on Xbox, I've received four coalescent wards from Vault of Piety coffers.
  • stercesderisedstercesderised Member Posts: 334 Arc User

It depends on the lockbox and what the other reward is

Thx for clarification....didn't even think about it being dependent on specific lockboxes. I have stacks of older ones too

• I just opened 11 Unearthed boxes last night with my saved up VIP keys and didn't get anything worthwhile, but on several boxes I did get 10 trade bars, so it does not appear they lowered the standard amount you can receive.