test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

WOD Boons--500K+ AD

santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
With the changes to AD something has to be done with the AD sinks in the boons. Someone posted that Sharandar's are about 75K to acquire. WOD, on the other hand, have AD sinks within AD sinks. Most of the boons avg about 50K AD and require books that run 50K as well. I added it up on the fly and came up with at least 500K to get WOD boons.

The last boon is 70K and also requires 150K in books to complete. (Not to mention an astronomical number of Linus.)

This is bad for new and old players. I just levelled up a new main, and am struggling to get his boons in place. A 24K daily cap is laughable with those kind of expenses. This is just for the boons, not the rest of the campaign = additional AD sinks.

Comments

• Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    The other two drop often enough that you can usually find them for cheap on the AH. Only Haarl's Treatsie will actually cost you 50k.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
    urabask said:

The other two drop often enough that you can usually find them for cheap on the AH. Only Haarl's Treatsie will actually cost you 50k.

Are you disagreeing with his entire post, or just correcting a clerical error?

• Options
    kurtb88 said:

urabask said:

That's not really a clerical error so much as ignorance. He just added 250k to the cost of boons in WoD because he didn't realize that you can usually get two of the books for 1-6k a piece.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    urabask said:

kurtb88 said:

urabask said:

That's not really a clerical error so much as ignorance. He just added 250k to the cost of boons in WoD because he didn't realize that you can usually get two of the books for 1-6k a piece.
    Actually, Haarl's cost 150K on the AH. I'd have to check on the other two. The 50K I came up with was buying through the vendor (which requires a spaghetti of currencies.) I don't tend to run dungeons myself, so I couldn't say if they drop often.

My numbers are rounded, but I stand by them.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

urabask said:

kurtb88 said:

urabask said:

Actually, Haarl's cost 150K on the AH. I'd have to check on the other two. The 50K I came up with was buying through the vendor (which requires a spaghetti of currencies.) I don't tend to run dungeons myself, so I couldn't say if they drop often.

My numbers are rounded, but I stand by them.
    Haarl's costs 50k because you need to grind the campaign currencies to get boons.

Your numbers are waaaay off because you can buy all the incantations of the dragon queen+breyer's draconic investigations that you need for like 8k in total.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Looked them up on AH. I was wrong about Haarl's with price fluctuations. It's 90K. Dragon Queen is 40K. Breyers is a bargain at 400. So shall we call the boons 400K, if we go by AH pricing?
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    No matter on the pricing of the books - I agree it's still too much. So can we all agree on that or not? I will try to make sure to bring this up with @strumslinger on Monday, so he can bring it up with the devs.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    urabask said:

Haarl's costs 50k because you need to grind the campaign currencies to get boons.

Your numbers are waaaay off because you can buy all the incantations of the dragon queen+breyer's draconic investigations that you need for like 8k in total.

I don't know which vendor your using, but the vendor I seem to have to go through charges 50K for each book, in addition to the other currencies you grind. And you have to buy all three books a SECOND time for the final boon.
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    I just never bothered to get the last boon on any of my characters, including those who were well-geared in Mod 5 when Tiamat was easy with a decent group.

50 Linu's Favors plus all three books was just too grindy, so I'm fine with not having that last 1.5% crit severity, or whatever.
  • Options
    kreatyve said:

No matter on the pricing of the books - I agree it's still too much. So can we all agree on that or not? I will try to make sure to bring this up with @strumslinger on Monday, so he can bring it up with the devs.

Thank you!
  • Options

I just never bothered to get the last boon on any of my characters, including those who were well-geared in Mod 5 when Tiamat was easy with a decent group.

50 Linu's Favors plus all three books was just too grindy, so I'm fine with not having that last 1.5% crit severity, or whatever.

I skipped it for a long time on my old main, but got it finally about 10 mos. after I started playing him. I just like to complete stuff, but I agree it is not a character-breaker to skip it.
  • Options
    theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    I may actually have the books in question, it's the Linu's favors that I didn't want to spend months grinding away for.
  • Options
    In deference to Urabask, I found that if you grind Haarl's twice and buy the other 4 books off the auction house, you can get the boons as cheap as 341,000. If you do it "legit" and grind all the books it totals 460,000. This is with exact boon pricing, not the rounding from before.
  • Options
    lupisulupisu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 86 Arc User
    Quite irregardless of the boons being priced too high, which I happen to agree with. How is buying the books from other players any less "legit" as buying them from a vendor? As a mater of fact since you brought up grinding, by that reasoning since as all books drop in content none of them cost any AD since you can grind them.
  • Options
    deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I'll pay the 200k even with the new system.
    My gripe is beating Tiamat 50 times post mod 6 without being in the zerg channel.

• Options
    lupisu said:

Quite irregardless of the boons being priced too high, which I happen to agree with. How is buying the books from other players any less "legit" as buying them from a vendor? As a mater of fact since you brought up grinding, by that reasoning since as all books drop in content none of them cost any AD since you can grind them.

I said "legit" -- in quotes. I buy off the AH. Based on Urabask's analysis I got shafted 40K doing so. I simply meant that the 50K per book was the cost as intended by the game. The books do have a monetary value--they have a vendor.

If you're lucky enought to get all the books for play, then you only have to spend 160,000 ad for the boons. Lucky you.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    I think the pricing is fine. The expensive part of the equation requires you to get the drops, but you're also looking at months worth of progress to get through the entire campaign regardless. That's plenty of time to run the dungeons and skirmishes to get your books. But if you want to "shortcut" doing the content, you can pay your way through the content, which is suppose to be expensive.

But otherwise, we're looking at what really was 2 modules worth of boons, not just one. And if you think of it that way, the boon costs and grinds are pretty much inline with the other campaigns.

And while I think it's awesome that the developers are looking at ways to reduce AD costs across the board, AD still needs to be relevant somewhere. You still have to sink AD out of the system at a reasonable pace.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options

But otherwise, we're looking at what really was 2 modules worth of boons, not just one. And if you think of it that way, the boon costs and grinds are pretty much inline with the other campaigns.

I think AD sinks on all the campaigns need looking at in the "new economy." Not enough to make it irrelevant, but on 24K/day, and BoP on just about everything, costs need to be realigned.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    The current AD cost on all seven ToD boons is 160k AD. If anything needs to be looked at, perhaps it's increasing the drop rate of the books...however, when ToD was THE campaign to do, the books were nearly worthless...however now that no one's Tiamat or Shores of Tuern, the value of them has increased substantially...

...so maybe that's an opportunity for people who are looking for something of value to sell.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    The WoD boons need a reworking (with regards to cost).

1. The books AD cost is now *massive*. It's a tough enough grind to get the 100+100 tokens, but the AD hit is just more salt on the wound.
    2. The huge number of Linu's Favors required for what is now outdated content needs to be rethought as well. I've got a few characters sitting at either 3 or 5 boons, as the 80 favors required (to say nothing of the associated AD cost) is just too much. So, either the number of favors needs to come down, or the ability to earn them needs to go up.
  • Options
    theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User

The current AD cost on all seven ToD boons is 160k AD. If anything needs to be looked at, perhaps it's increasing the drop rate of the books...however, when ToD was THE campaign to do, the books were nearly worthless...however now that no one's Tiamat or Shores of Tuern, the value of them has increased substantially...

...so maybe that's an opportunity for people who are looking for something of value to sell.

I'll probably never get the boons for the Linu's reason, but I'm still glad I bought the books to do so in case I need to.
  • Options

Looked them up on AH. I was wrong about Haarl's with price fluctuations. It's 90K. Dragon Queen is 40K. Breyers is a bargain at 400. So shall we call the boons 400K, if we go by AH pricing?

Dragon queen is just up a bit until more people try to sell them. Pretty much everything on the AH fluctuates in price now anyways. Those ones that are up for 40k were up for 50k yesterday. It's down to 10k now. It'll drop even further soon.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    ellodrithellodrith Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 97 Arc User
    The problem right now is that there are AD costs, both sinks and otherwise, everywhere in the game. At current earning potential, its 3 days to be able to buy a Fey Key, to buy the little boxes needed to change the artifact power on your artifact weapon its more than 1/2 a month.

And the scary part is that they have not had the "time" to fix any of the multitude of bugs that have been incorporated into the game with each patch/mod, so expecting them to track these down and fix AD costs because they borked the entire economy is not looking likely.

cheers
    Ello
  • Options
    myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User
    Honestly, the game has no more need of AD sinks now that AD are so hard to come by for the casual player. Retaining these creates the impression, whether wrong or right, that Cryptic is only interested in our money.
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User

worthless? During TOD i was selling books for 800k. As a matter of fact i sold the boons on my alts instead of buying the boons :-)

So far I would count it as a great investment since the game has only gotten less alt friendly since Mod 4
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,044 Arc User
    They should just add rAD to campaign quests, that shouldn't take to long to work through and then patch.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    ellodrith said:

The problem right now is that there are AD costs, both sinks and otherwise, everywhere in the game. At current earning potential, its 3 days to be able to buy a Fey Key, to buy the little boxes needed to change the artifact power on your artifact weapon its more than 1/2 a month.

And the scary part is that they have not had the "time" to fix any of the multitude of bugs that have been incorporated into the game with each patch/mod, so expecting them to track these down and fix AD costs because they borked the entire economy is not looking likely.

cheers
    Ello

Even if you just ran normal ToS twice a day it would only take eight days to get enough AD to buy cubes roll for an artifact power. It's more that your chance at getting a power that you actually need is so abysmal that makes the price so ridiculous.

Not sure why you would ever buy fey keys though.
    cdnbison said:

The WoD boons need a reworking (with regards to cost).

1. The books AD cost is now *massive*. It's a tough enough grind to get the 100+100 tokens, but the AD hit is just more salt on the wound.
    2. The huge number of Linu's Favors required for what is now outdated content needs to be rethought as well. I've got a few characters sitting at either 3 or 5 boons, as the 80 favors required (to say nothing of the associated AD cost) is just too much. So, either the number of favors needs to come down, or the ability to earn them needs to go up.

IMO the worst part about farming Linu's favor is that they have that task for making dragon treasures but it's locked behind a task that costs 1 Linu's Favor. Because of the timer on it you make back the Linu's favor your spent after something dumb like a six weeks. If they removed the 20 hour timer there would actually be a point in running dailies to run that task.

I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    mattsacremattsacre Member Posts: 330 Arc User
    Quite frankly there should never be any sinks, none of the boons should cost anything more than what you earn as you run the content. The books and materials should be the incidental materials you get as you go along the content, you spend back what you earned to get the "reward" of "investing" your time and effort helping the NPCs.

Having a AD sink included in all the boons is a tacit acknowledgement they "screwed-up". You got to add a sink it's something added later to "correct" something you did wrong. With them "correcting" AD generation they need to "correct" all the AD sinks as well.

Think of AD sinks as manufacturers coupons...hey actually think of them as the coupons that drop from boxes in fact! What is a "coupon"? It's a piece of paper (in the case of this game digital paper) with a artificial value set, that offers you back some of your currency to entice you to buy something that is over priced.

Why don't the coupon offerer just drop the price of something and forgo the coupon? They are trying to reinforce *in your mind*, the value of their product at a set level. They are using the coupon to get you to actually purchase it at a lower value while maintaining that "suggested manufacturers retail price" threshold.

Boon AD sinks are just the limo costs in a Yugo economy.
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    This is just one more area of the game that was not re-balanced after the panicky leadership change.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min