test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scammer stories

I recently received an epic Air Archon, epic Water Archon, and epic Bulette mount (thank you RNGesus!!) from Christmas day Black Earth lockboxes. I immediately placed them all in the AH. I get an Xbox message asking if I would be willing to trade my Water Archon (Air sold quickly) for a Greater Plaguefire. Intrigued, I pulled it from the AH and met him/her in PE. Invited to trade and seen it in the box but then started adding about a dozen or so shards, enchantments, etc. After he/she proposed...I scrolled to the top and noticed the Greater Plaguefire was pulled from the proposal.

Needless to say when asked about it...he/she scurried away and I reported it.

This could have went the other way fast...especially if I had not felt the need to check.

This was my introduction into attempted theft and am interested in other experiences so that we may be better prepared.
Tagged:

Comments

• patsfirepatsfire Member Posts: 833 Arc User
    Its truly a shame that there such lame people playing any game. But they will try to do whatever they can to get ahead.
  • mahburgmahburg Member Posts: 598 Arc User
    Moral of the story is don't trade with randoms buy and sell in the trade house.
  • aznly92aznly92 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    you should know its a scam once they start adding more items than what was proposed in the trade conversation.
    GWF 3.5k i.Lvl 18.3k power, 15.8k Crit strike, 6.1k ArPen, 2.1k Rec, 66.5% Crit chance, 117.1% Crit Severity, Unbuffed
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    I've never understood why people would go for the things for gold angle either. Gold is pretty much worthless imho. I saw one of the mods mention something about people hacking accounts after gold trades. not sure how that works but man.. yeah, auction house, friends or nuffin for me.
  • thejawlivesthejawlives Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    I have to say, I don't understand the gold angle either...some random wanted to give me 900 Gold for my epic mount. What the H am I supposed to do with Gold?
    Gold to buy pots/kits, or to remove enchants and stuff. But that is the only reason.
    Best reason to get VIP...no more Injuries. I need gold even less now!
  • xristopher1024xristopher1024 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited September 2015

Best reason to get VIP...no more Injuries. I need gold even less now!

Hear hear!
    gwf - 70 - Vod K'Ton'c
    lol, how many traps were you running in to?
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    aznly92 said:

you should know its a scam once they start adding more items than what was proposed in the trade conversation.

That's as true in RL as it is in-game. As soon as someone starts confusing a deal you should be on your guard for a scam.

Back away and refuse to trade.

Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
    Used to spend a gold or 2 with the tiamat raid every hour...not to bad now, but to simply wipe and immediately leave a campfire without using an injury kit, worth the VIP membership alone. Well...25% off bazaar also nice!
  • raymond00713raymond00713 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    Gold is a scam mostly. It's useless, they know that. They farm it, buy stuff with gold and either resell it at a higher gold price or auction it for what you really need, AD.

If you're in game enough you can see it. Guy one day buying marks for 6 gold, next day selling them for 8. Or they'll ask for like an epic mount for 450 gold, then post it for 500k on ah.
    I did sell an epic mount to a guy who was wanting one so bad he was literally begging me to pull it out of AH. Wasn't selling...probably because there were TONS of epic Bulette mounts. He equipped it immediately and was hopping all around PE screaming in joy. I too am buying Marks with gold and selling in AH now.

I was happy he was happy and I will not lose in the transaction. That made his Christmas!