test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is solo-ability returning?

linoge63linoge63 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 373 Arc User
edited September 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Greetings everyone

I have taken time off since level 61 went to 70ish and soloing small HE was no longer.

Has this changed yet..or is this still a game of group play only

I just read the news on AD changes...seems like a good idea but id like to earn ADs without having to do skirmishes ...
Why not drop a few ADs in the loot per kill??

Comments

• Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    I can solo all normal content up to and including campaign missions and a couple of HEs (that just may be my not being properly geared up). However, the solo-friendly aspect of the game took a header with the recent AD nerf since three of the four remaining sources of AD (Invocation, Dungeons*, Skirmishes* and PvP*) are *group activities. Personally I'd like to see some AD given out for nearly every mission in the game.
  • Options
    sasagerusasageru Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    I can solo all normal content barring medium+ heroics at IWD and WoD, and WoD mini-dungeons.

My lvl 70 tank who has around a 2.3k gear score can also solo every area though finds it harder with small HE's and mini dungeons.

So, it's definately closer than it was and I think its just about right considering that the new stronghold weapons and gear will increase our durability and overall DPS anyway, and with underdark, presuming they don't rework mobs again, will potentially have further gear of better quality which would make things even smoother.
    DPS Rogue | Heal/Buff Cleric

• Options
    theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    I haven't tried soloing any IWD encounters since the last x2 RP weekend (when I boosted my artifacts to be teal adjacent), but before then I was completely unable to handle them.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I spent the afternoon farming black ice with my 3k CW. Some encounters are still pretty tough, especially the trolls around the troll idols. When they get combat advantage on you, you can find yourself losing 90% of your HP very rapidly.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    soltaswordsoltasword Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    Yes, it is returning. There aren't that many people playing the game at the moment, so you basically have to solo.
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    hustin1 said:

I spent the afternoon farming black ice with my 2k CW. Some encounters are still pretty tough, especially the trolls around the troll idols. When they get combat advantage on you, you can find yourself losing 90% of your HP very rapidly.

Yeah these are a pain. Although I find it more annoying because sometimes the warlock trolls just spam attacks you can't dodge.

I'm at 2.7k (although 200 of that is DH enchants so whatever that means) and I can solo small HEs on IWD. Used to farm them to sell peridots but now that the price on RP has dropped so low it's pointless.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    ssinafeyssinafey Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    I think the problem here is that each and every class was given its real purpose when it comes to running group content, so skirmishes and dungeaons. Thats why non-dps classes took quite a hit when it comes to soloing pve content. Still the best idea is to ask guildies to help u out with daily activities, like doing campains or SH stuff.

Still it would be a good idea if PWE implemented something like 2nd setup for either pvp or solo pve/group pve contents. I mean, a quick gear and powers switching would work well enough, or maybe the ability to buy a slot for 2nd build which u would be able to change on a whim depending what u are about to do...

But like i said, if u play a non-dps class u can have quite a disadvantage when it comes to soloing daily stuff, but we cant avoid that is we want to keep current group content balanced as it is.
  • Options
    Honestly, this is why I run thaumaturge, even though conceptually I prefer oppressor, and indeed my equipment seems more geared towards oppressor. I just need to be able to kill things quickly, or else I'm spending twice as much time getting through the same amount of content.
  • Options
    strous1strous1 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Not that I can tell. My pre mod 6 tier 2 eq is still not enough for me to go back to Dread Ring or Sharander. I even traded out a purple for a green that was way better. Makes no sense to me. Not spending another dime for them to just change it all later an make it worthless all again. Not playing much either. Not fun anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PnP Red Box DM & Player (74 - ?). NWN + SoU + HotU (4-03),
    NWN Diamond Edition, Neverwinter Nights Complete (NWN + NWN2).
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited September 2015
    ssinafey said:

I think the problem here is that each and every class was given its real purpose when it comes to running group content, so skirmishes and dungeaons. Thats why non-dps classes took quite a hit when it comes to soloing pve content.

At least with the OP, they introduced Aura of Solitude that gives a fairly decent DPS boost when NOT near teammates. They should provide a similar ability to every non-DPS class, and make it more powerful.

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    Well, oppressor's ultimate feature gives them +damage against control immune targets at least, but the problem is that you're just that much weaker DPS wise the rest of the time.

But I do confess I miss Orb of Imposition being "Orb of Permanently stunned and/or frozen."
  • Options
    alpehansalpehans Member Posts: 33 Arc User

ssinafey said:

At least with the OP, they introduced Aura of Solitude that gives a fairly decent DPS boost when NOT near teammates. They should provide a similar ability to every non-DPS class, and make it more powerful.

And make it so companions don't count as allies for it, since atm you have to be completely solo or use an augment stone.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    My 3.8k, all-R12s-except-Soulforged, 20.3k-defense, 102k-HP, main archer HR still has enough problems surviving WoD that I'm extremely reluctant to take her there. In mod 5, she could go where angels feared to tread. When EVERYONE else wiped on the first two bosses in MC, she could stay alive long enough for them to regroup and rejoin the fight, Now, not so much.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    Yeah, WoD and IWD are still too rough for me to enjoy spending any amount of time there.
  • Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I can handle WoD and IWD pretty well with my 2.6K DC, just have to be careful to not agro too much. She is a righteous build, so made to do damage, not really DPS though. Sharandar and Dread Ring are no problem at all.
  • Options
    sasageru said:

I can solo all normal content barring medium+ heroics at IWD and WoD, and WoD mini-dungeons.

My lvl 70 tank who has around a 2.3k gear score can also solo every area though finds it harder with small HE's and mini dungeons.

So, it's definately closer than it was and I think its just about right considering that the new stronghold weapons and gear will increase our durability and overall DPS anyway, and with underdark, presuming they don't rework mobs again, will potentially have further gear of better quality which would make things even smoother.

ssinafey said:

I think the problem here is that each and every class was given its real purpose when it comes to running group content, so skirmishes and dungeaons. Thats why non-dps classes took quite a hit when it comes to soloing pve content. Still the best idea is to ask guildies to help u out with daily activities, like doing campains or SH stuff.

Still it would be a good idea if PWE implemented something like 2nd setup for either pvp or solo pve/group pve contents. I mean, a quick gear and powers switching would work well enough, or maybe the ability to buy a slot for 2nd build which u would be able to change on a whim depending what u are about to do...

But like i said, if u play a non-dps class u can have quite a disadvantage when it comes to soloing daily stuff, but we cant avoid that is we want to keep current group content balanced as it is.

Thats a great idea comrad...
  • Options
    Thanks for the insights, very helpful.
  • Options
    dufistodufisto Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    A good healer pet and soloing the he's in sh isnt difficult, dr/shar easy, iwd a little more difficult. with mostly purple and some blue gear and all rank7's. rank 7's are dirt cheap. can easily afford 1 per day if you do the dungeons and skirmishes.

or you could roll a pali and be nearly unkillable. with the dps of a wet puppy.

if your running around in a 115 set with rank 5's your going to have a hard time. if your running around with a 92 set from pre-6 its going to be near impossible.

and as for gear creep. its pretty much standard any time a lvl cap is raised that gear becomes completely obsolete. its happened in every online game i've played since 1996 ( everquest).

• Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    strous1 said:

Not that I can tell. My pre mod 6 tier 2 eq is still not enough for me to go back to Dread Ring or Sharander. I even traded out a purple for a green that was way better. Makes no sense to me. Not spending another dime for them to just change it all later an make it worthless all again. Not playing much either. Not fun anymore.

Why the heck are you still wearing Mod 5 gear?

There was a level cap raise and stat changes, deliberately to get people to upgrade from gear some had been wearing since beta.

It's a brave new world, try to move on.

• Options
    mattsacremattsacre Member Posts: 330 Arc User
    If you want or need AD, currently this game is actually solo "hostile". If you like pugs etc. then it's a solo "o.k." game. If you are a guild loving, dungeon loving, skirmish loving, pvp loving, all grouping activity loving player, then it's a slightly better than "o.k." game currently.

It all has a long way to go since they went for a "re-invent the circular wheel, for a new and improved square wheel, "BIG SOLUTION" for a minor problem fix".

Welcome back, but probably not for long Linoge63.
    Prediction: you, like me, will get fed up real fast and play the "other mmo" you play, checking back now and then to see what else they screw up. :)
  • Options
    kahfakahfa Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    mattsacre said:

If you want or need AD, currently this game is actually solo "hostile". If you like pugs etc. then it's a solo "o.k." game. If you are a guild loving, dungeon loving, skirmish loving, pvp loving, all grouping activity loving player, then it's a slightly better than "o.k." game currently.

It all has a long way to go since they went for a "re-invent the circular wheel, for a new and improved square wheel, "BIG SOLUTION" for a minor problem fix".

Prediction: you, like me, will get fed up real fast and play the "other mmo" you play, checking back now and then to see what else they screw up. :)

kek, knew someone would come here, try to bash devs and not give any advice.

@OP
    game is very easy to solo on some toons [CW, GWF, OP, HR(trapper)] not sure about DC, GF and TRs though, and horrible for SWs (according to most of the people i know).

Minor HE's in IWD/KR is soloable if you can disable/dodge/dps them constantly. not sure abot Medium HEs and Large HEs need large teams.

SH minor HEs are very easy for anyone at lvl 70, for mediums you need to be geared and for large HEs you need a group (or be a geared gwf).

WoD lair bosses still hurt a lot.

If you plan to roll a dc/sw its probably good to join a casual guild to help you through your dailies.
    Misfits
  • Options
    edited September 2015

strous1 said:

There was a level cap raise and stat changes, deliberately to get people to upgrade from gear some had been wearing since beta.

Still, I cannot play solo. No fun in that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    strous1 said:

strous1 said:

so you wont update to current gear levels and wonder why you cant kill anything?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    dufisto said:

strous1 said:

strous1 said:

so you wont update to current gear levels and wonder why you cant kill anything?
    You miss the hole point. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    edited September 2015
    strous1 said:

dufisto said:

strous1 said:

strous1 said:

You miss the hole point. lol
    the whole point being, every game has gear obsolescence when the level cap gets changed. quit whining about it and get new gear, or learn some different tactics. its entirely possible to solo with every class out there. even tr's and sw's.

or change to a gwf. my gwf was still wearing lvl 40 gear when i started EE and not really slowed down by it.
  • Options
    kahfa said:

mattsacre said:

@OP
    game is very easy to solo on some toons [CW, GWF, OP, HR(trapper)] not sure about DC, GF and TRs though, and horrible for SWs (according to most of the people i know).

Minor HE's in IWD/KR is soloable if you can disable/dodge/dps them constantly. not sure abot Medium HEs and Large HEs need large teams.

SH minor HEs are very easy for anyone at lvl 70, for mediums you need to be geared and for large HEs you need a group (or be a geared gwf).

If you plan to roll a dc/sw its probably good to join a casual guild to help you through your dailies.
    Oh, did you think I was bashing devs and not giving advice? Sorry you got that impression. I was giving advice and not bashing.

The OP asked was it a solo friendly game once again after returning from an extended absence. I answered in brief, NO. And, PERHAPS, if you stick to group only stuff ( i.e. NOT solo stuff :))

My advice was what "I" am doing: avoiding playing and checking in now and then to see if they have gotten it together yet. That's not bashing, that's just how I respond to an annoyance, AVOID what annoys me and wait them out. *shrug*

If you want to encourage more bad behaviour, reward it and it continues. So too, if you want them to continue implementing bad content changes, reward them, continue playing. However, if you, like I, wish them to stop making bad decisions, stop rewarding them. Stay away from their bad content, when they pull the numbers for review and see the player base refuses to play whats offered, at some point someone up top will finally reconsider bad decisions and try and stop doing it. It's plain and simple economics, if you don't provide what the customer wants to buy and your competitor does, and you don't adjust to reverse that, you soon don't have a competitor, you are out of business.

• Options
    kahfakahfa Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    mattsacre said:

kahfa said:

mattsacre said:

@OP

Oh, did you think I was bashing devs and not giving advice? Sorry you got that impression. I was giving advice and not bashing.

The OP asked was it a solo friendly game once again after returning from an extended absence. I answered in brief, NO. And, PERHAPS, if you stick to group only stuff ( i.e. NOT solo stuff :))

My advice was what "I" am doing: avoiding playing and checking in now and then to see if they have gotten it together yet. That's not bashing, that's just how I respond to an annoyance, AVOID what annoys me and wait them out. *shrug*

If you want to encourage more bad behaviour, reward it and it continues. So too, if you want them to continue implementing bad content changes, reward them, continue playing. However, if you, like I, wish them to stop making bad decisions, stop rewarding them. Stay away from their bad content, when they pull the numbers for review and see the player base refuses to play whats offered, at some point someone up top will finally reconsider bad decisions and try and stop doing it. It's plain and simple economics, if you don't provide what the customer wants to buy and your competitor does, and you don't adjust to reverse that, you soon don't have a competitor, you are out of business.

which bad content changes? one might be bad for you but great for other players, the hard dungeons was liked by some of the more hardcore players but was hated by those who wanted easier dungeons, the AD removal from leadership was hated by those who have alt farms but was accepted by those who don't (and those who think it breaks the game's economy) (also by the ones who think logging in, doing professions then logging out shouldn't be as rewarding as playing the game). It might cater to his likings but not to yours.

Although i agree that there are some bad changes in game, i believe it's much less than what you point it out to be.
    Misfits
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    O.K. I'll bite.
    What "I" find bad content changes and maybe *I'm presumptive here* other "might" find bad as well.
    I find ANYTHING content wise that is stated to be implemented one way, and specificly NOT that way as "bad" content, it's actually false advertising.

If you look up NW's OWN statements about the game it is advertised as a MMORG that is solo friendly PVE type game based on D&D.
    The changes they have made:
    1. Make it not solo friendly (nerfing AD generation, a currency needed for almost everything, like refining and boons and advancing gear etc.) and then not providing sufficient methods of SOLO generation of that AD.
    2. Concentrating on PVP content (notice that's not PVE, yes it's "optional" content for those that like another spice with their meal) but they have allowed PVP to be detrimental to PVE, and once again made it a source and steered player to it to get AD.
    3. Where is the D&D? The "D&D" stuff in this game is tenuous at best. And in direct conflict in several instances.

What other changes do "I" find bad, that judging by the forums, an overwhelming segment of player base does as well?
    Content missing, long ques, missing or unbalanced skills, nerfing , mind numbing grinding (now even more to try and get the AD bonuses promised for repeating dailies not just one time but twice) etc, etc. etc.

I got say I'm doubtful it's "great" for other players what's bad for me, judging by current sentiment it "might" be TOLERABLE for other players what's bad for me :)

I got to say your last sentence "Although i agree that there are some bad changes in game, i believe it's much less than what you point it out to be. "
    Has to go down as a head in the sand award of the yr. (well maybe honorable mention anyway), it's not "less" by anymeans or metric anyone wishes to use :) just read the forums and dev statements, it totally supports my assertions.