test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What If it's not what we think it is?

hypnoticbeasthypnoticbeast Member Posts: 108 Arc User
edited September 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Now I am not picking sides here but don't you all think it's a little strange that they announce "Underdark" with one of the fathers of Neverwinter writing quest lines for them. And then this BS with the AD changes. And with all the noise that every one is making has any one else notice how quiet it is on the "other side" of the fence? It does not make any kind of sense at all. Why drop a bomb like this? A bomb that will get everyone all upset and looking at one thing instead of another? Something BIG is up with Underdark so much that they are banking on it even at the cost of losing some customers. Is all I can think of. Any one care to comment?

Comments

• Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    I don't really care. It's questionable if I'll be here for Underdark.
  • Options
    snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    wishful thinking on your part my friend.

I'd bet all my remaining ADs that mod 8 will not be a savior for the game. If anything it will be pretty much like every other mod not counting mod 6, it be released with a bunch of bugs, some will be fixed, others will not, some players will quit, others will not.
  • Options
    dandare#8529 dandare Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 337 Arc User
    Maybe... they won't compensate for loss of players though I guess.

And I might be a bittr person here but: I dislike Drizzt as well. Love killing him in BG and BGII :D

Seeing how hells seem on move once more and how Demogorgon appears in new installment of DnD overall: I hoped that Jon Irenicus might return I loved him as a villain :D
    "You stand as inspiration. You are practically the Avatar of Buttkicking." -Quote towards Minsc
    "I choose You Jymaru!" ~for there are times when more than words need to do the talk
  • Options
    d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    they very likely are nowhere close to done with underdark and are way behind schedule. squeezing money for zen quickly out of the player base was their only option. VIP was supposed to be enough but not enough ppl took the bait. Something more drastic was needed. Im pretty sure that decision backfired big time as all I see now are "I quit" and "I'm not giving cryptic another dime". Mod 8 will likely end up being more recycled grindy trash as a result.
  • Options

they very likely are nowhere close to done with underdark and are way behind schedule. squeezing money for zen quickly out of the player base was their only option. VIP was supposed to be enough but not enough ppl took the bait. Something more drastic was needed. Im pretty sure that decision backfired big time as all I see now are "I quit" and "I'm not giving cryptic another dime". Mod 8 will likely end up being more recycled grindy trash as a result.

That... is a really grim premonition. Though it might get true T_T

Worst thing is that we see long time loyal players quit. Those who did play over a year and might had played way more. I would suggest it was the most valuable player base game had. Newbie players are bit more 'divided' but then again: they might quit soon, nothing is sure. Especially if Mod8 will be bad.
    "You stand as inspiration. You are practically the Avatar of Buttkicking." -Quote towards Minsc
    "I choose You Jymaru!" ~for there are times when more than words need to do the talk
  • Options
    eyceaethereyceaether Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    The only thing that'll make me feel better about this game is the removal of Astral Diamond paywalls for progression. I can't progress/tweak my character without buying GMOPs/Those blues boxes/Preservation Wards/Etc. If I could kit myself out and slowly grind my way up I'd be fine, but not being able to upgrade an artifact because of something I can't get from playing the game? Pssh...

What would be nice is a class rebalance, and a rebalance of stupid broken HAMSTER like PvP. Oh, and fixing my FPS issues...
  • Options
    d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    yea us old timers did what we could to help our guilds and the new players to the game. we got shafted too many times by a game we dedicated ourselves to. So yea we have left, at least for now. If Mr. Shicoff gets his much deserved firing and the devs are able to make the content they want to again without all the corporate suits getting in the way, some may return, but not all. many are gone for good.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    They squeeze the AD faucet as tight as they can. Everyone eventually runs out of AD. The release new "DrIzZZzt" Companion for 10 Million. The gullible much to buy Zen to ZAX for the AD to bid on him. Tah-da!
  • Options
    edited September 2015

They squeeze the AD faucet as tight as they can. Everyone eventually runs out of AD. The release new "DrIzZZzt" Companion for 10 Million. The gullible much to buy Zen to ZAX for the AD to bid on him. Tah-da!

And this.... is even worse and more possible future foretelling. I hope the game will still have enough player base to make spenders feel special enough and want to spend heavy cash on overly famous dark elf by that time though. Checking game ever since yesterday I seem to see less and less people in the zones (yep actually travelling zones to just check activity. Drop is worse than what I've imagined before patch T_T ). Even spenders won't pay if the audience is too small I guess... but it's only my guess at this point.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Like or hate Drizzt, R.A, Salvatore is a pretty good author. If they tank Neverwinter and Underdark flops, they'll deserve all their lumps they get from WotC for squandering Salvatore's efforts. I think the real question in all of this is how much of this is WotC following, because PWE will only step in if quarterly earnings fail (so, maybe later next month if the current trend continues - they don't have anything to do with day-to-day operations or game decisions at Cryptic), but if WotC feels Neverwinter isn't delivering the goods, or worse, is actually harming their D&D IP, there will be trouble...
  • Options
    Ok good points one and all. But some of you missed my point. Yep they have money to burn, but we don't. And they do know this as well. What If it was supposed to happen? I did nothing with Leadership at all. Had no idea what it was for. So I crunched numbers. 910,000 AD a day. 910,000 AD in 24hr. That's after there has been time to convert AD/ZEN to buy all the remaining player slots. 6,370,0000 every 7 days. Now if AD represents TIME spent "playing" the game IE quest, dungeons and such. That' roughly (depending how often you play) that 2-6 years. These numbers show that the gear and other things where men't to show off to other players as rewards for "Time" spent in game. Now the numbers above are way to unreasonable, 6 months to 2 years is more like it. Now take into the fact that the data showed that a lot of people where getting "Years" worth of rewards in DAYS. With that being said I can see why they did it. It should have been handled better.
  • Options
    eyceaethereyceaether Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    It went on for too long.
  • Options
    nimandiirnimandiir Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 90 Arc User
    Underdark: Level cap to 80 by doing 500 minutely quests per area... 50 areas per zone (but biggest maps EVER!), all new art equip that can only be used once a special stone is purchased for $40 dollars to guarante it unlocks properly... yup super excited
  • Options

It went on for too long.

Yes I can be a bit ling winded

• Options
    banaancbanaanc Member Posts: 472 Arc User

Ok good points one and all. But some of you missed my point. Yep they have money to burn, but we don't. And they do know this as well. What If it was supposed to happen? I did nothing with Leadership at all. Had no idea what it was for. So I crunched numbers. 910,000 AD a day. 910,000 AD in 24hr. That's after there has been time to convert AD/ZEN to buy all the remaining player slots. 6,370,0000 every 7 days. Now if AD represents TIME spent "playing" the game IE quest, dungeons and such. That' roughly (depending how often you play) that 2-6 years. These numbers show that the gear and other things where men't to show off to other players as rewards for "Time" spent in game. Now the numbers above are way to unreasonable, 6 months to 2 years is more like it. Now take into the fact that the data showed that a lot of people where getting "Years" worth of rewards in DAYS. With that being said I can see why they did it. It should have been handled better.

simple solution would be making profession slots acc wide and increasing the rewards for each task, smth like 5x(as if you are doing same task on 5 characters) would solve the problem of leadership farms, there would still be some problems with multi accounts but that could probably be solved by monitoring market, and you would still need to complete requirements to unlock enough profession slots.

Somebody should write a petition to PW/WotC on some neutral site to ask help in dealing with this incompetence :D

• Options
    kahfakahfa Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    you forget that you are in the forums, it's filled with negativity here, if you want optimistic (or non-biased) replies try chat channels or guild chats :P
    Misfits
  • Options
    balorinbalorin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 132 Arc User
    An author is just an author may be he will bring back a good storyline but that's all the rest is not is job to create challenge, maps, mobs, dungeons, in one word content.
    So you can have a good story line and a crappy mod 8.
    But if the mod 8 is a fail i think it will be the last, i don't think they can survive another PVE module without a true new challenging PVE content.
    For the moment i m not optimist too much recycling too much bugs, too much lag.
  • Options
    ellodrithellodrith Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 97 Arc User
    Another thing to keep in mind is that Sword Coast Legends beta starts this weekend.

I'll just quote from the about for the game.
    Set in the lush and vibrant world of the Forgotten Realms, Sword Coast Legends offers an all-new way to enjoy the time-tested magic of playing Dungeons & Dragons as a shared storytelling experience. With a deep narrative developed by a team of long-time industry veterans and a partnership with Wizards of the Coast, the single player campaign of Sword Coast Legends brings the world of Faerûn home like never before.

Sword Coast Legends also brings the roleplaying dynamic between players and Dungeon Masters to life with DM Mode, a first-of-its-kind real-time experience in which Dungeon Masters guide players through unique customizable adventures. In DM Mode, the Dungeon Master engages players and empowers them to have fun in a way that suits the party best while creating a tailored, non-adversarial 4 with 1 experience that any RPG or pen-and-paper fan will enjoy.

Game Features:

Single player campaign created by members of the leadership team that brought you Dragon Age™: Origins
    Choose from five playable races and six unique character classes to build your own stalwart adventurer
    A return to form, Sword Coast Legends is the compelling and complex RPG you've been waiting for and features pause time, party-based tactical combat and involving storylines
    Dungeon Master Mode: Create your own epic adventure to share with your friends, or enhance their experience in real time as they traverse your dungeon
    Set in the Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms universe based on the fifth edition ruleset and populated with Dungeons & Dragons lore and legend
    Wonder where Wizards of the Coast attention will be.

cheers
    Ello

• Options
    gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    Hopefully the removal of AD is something that was needed for next mod.. Maybe they finally adding new ways to farm AD... FOR REAL. Like the old CN with ancient weapons/necks/rings/belts!

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• Options
    arandompandaarandompanda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Checked out reviews of Cryptic at Glassdoor.com. Holy moly. Employee reviews of the company are in a death spiral. And they all started right about the time PWE was purchased by a private investor in China. Pre-China-Great-Depression things were ok. Not spectacular but nothing hideous. After that...ouch. 1 and 2 star reviews dominate now.
    Seems the changed executive management has had a negative impact on most PWE games - not just Cryptic ones.

I went to the forums of some other PWE games - namely some of the China-developed ones that I used to play. Players there have similar complaints as the ones found here.

Take a look at some of these threads

Battle of the Immortals - headline topic by a player: Dead Game http://forum.arcgames.com/battleoftheimmortals/discussion/113006/dead-game#latest

Did I not know better I would swear the complaints listed by the players were NWO players, not BotI (right down to complaints about zen, refusing to fix dupe bugs that were game-breaking to the economy, refusing to ban players or if they did it was only for 3 days, bugs, bugs, bugs that persist for years but never get address, etc. etc. All signs in my opinion that the company was from the very beginning run very lean money-wise that spent the least on salaries and infrastructure. Be sure to check out himatori's post.

Another thread:

Jade Dynasty

http://forum.arcgames.com/jadedynasty/discussion/1200790/important-where-is-our-compensation#latest

A thread directed at PWE about content and rewards that used to be in the game but were taken away. Sound familiar? Read the whole thread - lizzgirlwl gives a good accounting. And...this is a Chinese-dev'd game. Not a N.A. or European-dev'd one.

Another:
    http://forum.arcgames.com/pwi/discussion/1203074/pwi-just-your-star-chart-prices#latest
    PWI - the original flagship PWE game that started it all.
    A post dated Sept 16, 2015 on how many Euros it takes now to get a BiS PWI toon. I'm not sure what that would equate to in equivalent years for a free player but it probably won't look very good for anyone who does the math.

edit: found out 400,000 euros = 452,080 u.s. dollars (that's for one PWI item for a toon, not all the items to be upgraded on the toon).

Another:
    Royal Quest

http://forum.arcgames.com/arc/discussion/1202901/how-bad-refining-is-in-this-game#latest

I remember this because Ether Saga Odyssey had a similar system. If you think it's bad in NWO it's much worse in some PWE games. I remember in Ether Saga if you didn't have the equivalent of a Coalescent ward when you refined there was a very high chance your weapon would be destroyed. That's right...destroyed. you'd refine...the rng would do it's thing and the weapon you'd spent months on upgrading would just...disappear. Ditto for the equivalent of upgrading enchants, etc.

Royal Quest:
    http://forum.arcgames.com/arc/discussion/1202902/why-isnt-any-game-people-even-bothered-to-respond-to-any-real-issues#latest

I provided the above to show people that the problems NWO, STO and CO face are likely not with Cryptic specifically. These problems seem to be across the board - the games may be different and developed by different dev teams - including teams that likely speak only chinese and are based in China. Yet the problems are strikingly similar across all of them.

That tells me the problems players are complaining about likely can't be fixed solely by the Dev team. Things are the way they are because the guys at the very top have a monetization model that is failing across *all* of their games. Judging from the awful reviews current and ex Cryptic employees are giving the company it seems many share the anger of their players and are just as neutered in their ability to do something about it as players are.

I remember reading that had that private investor in China not bought PWE the company would have been liquidated. It was failing *that* badly. Of course I'm sure some of that had to do with the toxic misallocation of investment money due to Chinese economic policies but surely some of it has to do with the fact that PWE couldn't figure out how to deliver a value that paying customers perceived as worthy. All these game's experience were (and are) too high priced for too little in return led to sinking revenue to the point of near-liquidation.

I don't know whether to be grateful that that Chinese business man bought the company (since at least it means *some* kind of Cryptic-made games are still around) or to regret it - since it still doesn't seem that the new executive team has figured out how to hit the value-for-money trade right. The same problems of too high a price for too little value are still there. And seem to have gotten worse for all PWE games.

I suppose one good thing is that at least Cryptic's games haven't been put on maintenance-mode yet like some PWE games (Ether Saga Oddysey for example).

edits: typos

Post edited by arandompanda on
  • Options
    arandompandaarandompanda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited September 2015

Another:
    Royal Quest

http://forum.arcgames.com/arc/discussion/1202901/how-bad-refining-is-in-this-game#latest

I remember this because Ether Saga Odyssey had a similar system. If you think it's bad in NWO it's much worse in some PWE games. I remember in Ether Saga if you didn't have the equivalent of a Coalescent ward when you refined there was a very high chance your weapon would be destroyed. That's right...destroyed. you'd refine...the rng would do it's thing and the weapon you'd spent months on upgrading would just...disappear. Ditto for the equivalent of upgrading enchants, etc.

Wanted to explain this a little bit better. I had the most experience with this in Ether Saga Odyssey but also in PWI - because it was first introduced in PWI.

You could upgrade most of your toon's weapons, armor and enchants. You would go to a Forge and needed duplicate leveled items plus the equivalent of a preservation ward or coalescent ward. Having either would prevent whatever item you were upgrading from being destroyed. Yes...armor and weapons could be destroyed. Frequently. Now remember this is the scenario for the required dupe items too.

However...even use of the equivalent of Coalescent wards was no guarantee of upgrade like it is in NWO. In Ether Saga you could use it but the RNG would see it as a chance to *downgrade* your weapon, armor, enchant or whatever. If you didn't use one at all there was a strong possibility the weapon, armor or whatever would be destroyed completely. Now...it wasn't like this in the early days of the game. This was a later "update". To combat "bots". It would also "help the in-game economy."

Of course it also happened to help encourage the playerbase to keep purchasing ESO's version of Coalescent wards to "reverse" the downgrade. The equivalent of Preservation wards didn't cut it. A player would have to buy the equivalent of a Coal Ward. Heaven help you if you got on an unlucky streak and your attempts to upgrade kept resulting in a downgrade instead. But hey! At least you still HAD your weapon or armor instead of it being destroyed.

It was one of the things I found most frustrating about the game. I moved to PWI when I discovered they had a similar system. Not exactly the same but similar enough I knew to leave or my wallet was doomed.

And heaven help us all if the suits in China decide that all their games need to implement this system. Chinese people are much more tolerant of this business model - probably because they don't have a market saturated with alternatives that offer different monetization models like the West does.
    Post edited by arandompanda on
  • Options
    God I hope not.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    Let's use the forums to talk about the game, not personally bash the devs.

Flaming and/or Trolling
    You may not post content which contains insults to other users or Perfect World Entertainment Staff, are specifically made to create undue discontent on the forums, disturbances in forum threads, pick fights or otherwise promote unfriendly conversation.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
This discussion has been closed.