test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Mod 8] Master of Flame Thaumaturge-Oppressor PVP/PVE build (DPS + CC + debuff)

arcofortep12arcofortep12 Member Posts: 2,265 Arc User
edited January 2016 in The Library
The Master of Elements

Style of Play:
In PVP you are a wonderful striker and a 'solid debuffer' (thanks to Ray of Enfeeblement); you will deal Very High DPS (more than any other path, though Renegade can be a contender if provided with a Losmauth set) and will cast your encounters at a very high pace, so it's the ideal path for PVP. All it's tuned to achieve the best possible DPS.

In PVE you still deal Very High damage, more if you focus on just burst damage (through Arcane Presence+Chilling Presence) but that's not advisable since you aren't buffing your allies through any feats like a Renegade would do instead. With this build CC is of secondary importance but obviously you can still control mobs well, the same as a Renegade build, or just a bit better. By choosing a build focused on personal DPS you lose the CC special qualities of an Oppressor and the ability to buff allies proper to the Renegade tree but you will still retain a specific feat from the Oppressor tree that will let you bring some more CC to the table thanks to Twisting Immolation.
In a party session you will want to help more your party by debuffing mobs and the boss through the combination of Critical Conflagration+Swath of Destruction; that's not the case in PVP where you want to boost just your burst damage. If you don't want to renounce to the debuff aspects of a Master of Flame but still want to bring solid damage without the employement of the Lostmauth set this is the path you will want to follow.

DPS:
Very High on everything, less if you slot your debuffing abilities that can be generally reserved for Boss fights or tough runs.

Damage:
-5%~ of my Lostmauth Renegade build's damage, good for those who don't want, or can't invest on the OP Lostmauth set.

CC:
High in PVE (just a bit more than my Lostmauth's Renegade build thanks to the Feat Twisting Immolation; it will let you Daze briefly your foes after a cast of Furious Immolation), Medium in PVP.

PVP:
Very High performance.

Buffs:
None.

Heroic Feats:
Controlling Action (1), Weapon Mastery (3), Toughness (3), Fight On (5), Blightning Power (3), Learned Spellcaster (5), Focused Wizardry (3).

Thamaturge Feats:
Tempest Magic (5), Snap Freeze (5), Elemental Reinforcement (5), Spell Twisting (5), Frozen Power Transfer (5), Elemental Empowerment (5), Assailant Force (1).

Oppressor Feats:
Bitter Cold (5), Twisting Immolation (5).

Powers (PVE, both party and solo):
At-Will - Chilling Cloud (necessary to achieve best possible DPS) (rank 3)
Encounter (Tabbed) (1) - Conduit of Ice (very high AoE damage, it also adds Chill stacks and will slow down your foes) (rank 4)
Encounter (4) - Ray of Enfeeblement (debuff for big mobs and bosses) (rank 4)
Encounter (2) - Icy Terrain (waste of DPS but necessary to control the battlefield, it briefly immobilize and can freeze targets + adds Chill stacks) (rank 3)
Encounter (3) - Steal Time (CC plus good damage against multiple mobs) OR Chill Strike (modest CC + Chill stacks) OR Entangling Force (good CC against single targets) (3/4)
Class features (option 1) - Critical Conflagration+Swath of Destruction (less personal DPS but 19% more DPS for all other party members) (rank 4)
Class features (option 2, better for solo play) - Arcane Presence+Chilling Presence (more personal DPS but lacking party debuff, except for Ray of Enfeeblement) (rank 4)
Daily - Furious Immolation (solid damage + AoE CC in a large area with an added Daze effect as a bonus) (rank 3)
Daily - Ice Knife (high single target damage + Prone effect) (rank 3).

Powers (PVE, Boss fight/Demogorgon):
At-Will - Chilling Cloud OR Scorching Burst (the latter just for Demogorgon's 1st. phase) (rank 3)
Encounter (Tabbed, option 1) - Shield (rank 3/4)
Encounter (Tabbed, option 2) - Conduit of Ice (to use in Demogorgon, 1st. phase only) (rank 3/4)
Encounter (1) - Ray of Enfeeblement (debuff for big mobs and bosses) (rank 4)
Encounter (2) - Disintegrate (rank 4)
Encounter (3) - Chill Strike (rank 3/4)
Class Feature - Critical Conflagration (boost DPS and spread Smolder on Crits) (rank 4)
Class Feature - Swath of Destruction (19% debuff for entire party, a must in boss fights) (rank 4)
Daily - Arcane Singularity (spam AoE CC in a large area) OR Oppressive Force (spam AoE CC + an added Daze effect in a very tight area) (3)
Daily - Ice Knife (high single target damage) (rank 4).

Powers (PVP):
At-Will - Chilling Cloud (rank 3)
Encounter (Tabbed, option 1) - Ray of Enfeeblement (rank 4)
Encounter (Tabbed, option 2) - Shield (if geared and with all PVP boons) (rank 4)
Encounter (4) - Disintegrate (rank 4)
Encounter (1) - Entangling Force (rank 3/4)
Encounter (3) (option 1) - Chill Strike (more DPS, brief CC, add a stack of Chill) OR Repel (far more useful CC against weak targets) (rank 3/4)
Encounter (3) (option 2) - Ray of Enfeeblement (if geared with Shield on Tab) (rank 4)
Class Feature - Arcane Presence (rank 4)
Class Feature - Chilling Presence (rank 4)
Daily - Ice Storm (Knock + Prone multiple targets) (rank 3)
Daily - Ice Knife (rank 4).

Advice:
Boost INT (DPS bonus, Recharge Speed Increase) and CHA (Critical Chance and Combat Advantage Damage) the same, ditch everything else.
You want to focus on Power, Critical Strike, and Armor Penetration in that order, but if your Critical Chance is lower than 34% invert Power and Critical Strike priority, everything else is of secondary importance.

Equipment:
Lostmauth's whole set, Vorpal Enchantment, Dusk plus Drowcraft armor set (PVE) OR Grim/Burning armor set (PVP), Ring of Brutality, Drowcraft Assault Ring, Savage enchantments in Offense slots, Radiant OR Dark (if you can gather enough Life Steal to benefit from it) enchantments in Defense slots, Lesser Soulforged Enchantment (PVE)/Negation Enchantment (PVP), Lantern of Revelation (main), Sigil of the Controller OR Wheel of Elements (the latter can be chosen as main instead of the Lantern), Sigil of the Great Weapon Fighter.

Boons:
Sharandar - Elven Ferocity, Elvish Fury (PVE)/Elven Resolve (PVP)
Dread Ring - Shadowtouch, Rampaging Madness (PVE)/Endless Consumption (if you got enough Life Steal) OR Augmented Thayan Bastion (PVP)
Underdark - Drow Ambush Tactics, Dwarven Stamina
Tyranny of Dragons - Dragon's Thirst
Icewind Dale - Cool Resolve, Winter's Bounty.

Races:
Dragonborn (+4 to any Ability Score, +3% to Power and Critical Strike) and Tiefling (+5% DPS against targets with less than 50% HP, rare chance to gain a 5% damage debuff against an attacker when you get struck) are the best races, buff aren't big so pick the one you like in the game you will have to see its traits everytime.

Enjoy.
Sunrise_Knights.jpg

- All I say it's just my opinion. Peace. -
- Sunrise Knights are always recruiting active good-hearted players ;) 'Let the Sun shine!' -
Post edited by arcofortep12 on

Comments

• Options
    umscheumsche Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 461 Arc User

just a bit more than the mine Renegade build

This has been botthering me for some time now :
    Please use "my" instead of "the mine", "the mine" is not correct. :)
  • Options
    twitchdigit1twitchdigit1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 62 Arc User
    What would you recommend for encounters/at-wills for this build then?

I tried this build out with MM and CoF (did a lot more damage with CoF) and slotted Icy Terrain, Steal Time (newly 70, need the CC to survive in WoD and IWD for now lol) and Ray of Enfeeblement.

I did alright in HEs, but again, newly minted 70 and my ilvl is still pretty sad :smile: . Thank you for sharing!
  • Options
    firebreath86firebreath86 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    You kinda have removed the build you are suggesting. What powers do you suggest slotting? I only see feats
  • Options
    s1lv3rdrgnforums1lv3rdrgnforum Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 264 Arc User
    I'm gonna post this here.. only in hopes that someone with more savvy than me can test this for damage potential. This is what I have started running (I have followed Chem's guide for about a year and have played MoF since it came out)

FtF on tab, Icy Terrain, Disintegrate, Stealtime/Shard/CoI depending on needs. (Stealtime for CC if u have time to cast, Shard if u need the knockdown, and CoI if u need to build more chill)
    Class features: Chilling presence, Swath of Destruction (yeah, I'm trying to push rimefire smolder)

Why not CoI on tab? Well that's one of my big questions. Used to be that CoI on tab was the top dps. However in my ACT testing, while CoI remains high on the list for individual DPS; when I switch to FtF, rimefire smolder takes its place and my overall DPS goes up.

I posted this here, because like the build above, I am Thaum/Oppressor with Icy Veins and around 2300 ilvl. My power/crit is 14000/8000 and I feel like that is low to use Critical Conflagration. My Crit Sev is only 77%. I'm definitely open to suggestions - I dont feel like my build is overly weak but I am not confident that it is optimal either. (yes, I have lostmauth set and it accounts for the biggest slice of dmg).
    Bedlam: Creating chaos as a MI Exec TR
    Avariel Merilwen: Burn baby, MoF/Rene
    Aejun The Silver: Devoted to Healing, DevOP/Justice
    Mina Rosepetal: Super Natural, Pathfinder/Melee
    Frost: Benchwarmer, Soulbinder/Fury
  • Options
    gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    I lost interest when I read Chilling Cloud for PvP. :P

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• Options
    kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

Class features: Chilling presence, Swath of Destruction (yeah, I'm trying to push rimefire smolder)

Why not CoI on tab? Well that's one of my big questions. Used to be that CoI on tab was the top dps. However in my ACT testing, while CoI remains high on the list for individual DPS; when I switch to FtF, rimefire smolder takes its place and my overall DPS goes up.

On my CW I also have the MoF path, but aside from FtF i don't really use many of the MoF Powers - as you note I rely on Rimefire. I use a Flaming enchant, combined with Ray of Frost - it does crazy damage on bosses when you first hit them with CoI, and follow up with Ray of Frost. I am generating Rimefire even before they smolder. If you have both FtF and CoI loaded, plus Chill Strike - 3 fast encounters you can hit a single target with in succession followed by Ray of Frost - very good dmg.
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Please don't necro old threads. Thanks.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    Closing this topic due to the current state of opinion on this build.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

This discussion has been closed.