test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Changed computer and changed the game

noetic2noetic2 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
edited September 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
My desk top died on me and I replaced it with a laptop, and now it feels like a completely different game. Some of it good, and some of it bad. Wonder if there is anybody who can help me out.

1. The interface is tiny. Even after scaling it all the way up to the top, it is still difficult to make out everything. By interface I mean not only everything in HUD but also when logging in. Any solutions for that? Or am I the only one with this problem?

2. In PVP I am unable to get the markers which show the color of nodes. On approach to the node I cannot tell which team is in possession of it. Some of the the markers show up, but they are all over the screen. Have to go by the map in the corner, which because of my interface problem is so tiny, I can't make out anything.

3. Suddenly I do not get the number of total players on an instance. I just get the number of friends and guild members. Is that a recent development for everybody? Or am I the only one experiencing this?

4.The good thing? So far I am completely lag free. Even though my new computer probably is not much faster than my old one. Comes as a shock because I thought the lag was just part of the game. For heralds the lag on my old machine was near permanent from start to finished. Couldn't make out anything. My last run, there was not even a hint of lag. Compatibility issue with my old card? (New card is Nvidia GEFORCE GTX)

Would appreciate to hear your thoughts. And certainly solutions.
Post edited by noetic2 on

Comments

• bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    You can change the interface scale via the settings. Your desktop probably had a 1080p monitor, while unless it's a high-end laptop, it probably only has 1366x768. Most desktop monitors have a better viewing angle than laptop screens, so try tilting the screen a bit, to see if the color is less washed out that way. You can try changing the resolution the game is actually running at - in re-reading your post, you mentioned it looks smaller - so perhaps your laptop actually has a higher resolution than your desktop did.

Alternatively, try connecting your laptop to your old desktop monitor, and see if things look more like they used to.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • noetic2noetic2 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I much appreciate the response, but, as I said, I have the interface scale in settings at max already. Have changed the resolution, already. And it changes nothing. I don't get that washed out look you normally get with a laptop monitor. My new computer is about as high end as it gets. Have yet to get the cable to attach my laptop to my monitor. Might help. But it still does not explain why the interface is so tiny. I mean only usable by ant man tiny. Readable only through a magnifying glass tiny. Apparently I'm the only one with this problem, and I suppose it has something to do with my graphics card.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    Can you tell me what screen resolution your're using? Are you playing in windowed or full screen mode? Does the interface get even smaller, if you go to the other end of the window scale slider? Are you using the general graphics quality slider, or the customized option, (check things like bloom quality, lighting quality, and so forth, under the custom options). Also try loading into safe mode of the game, to see if it's any different.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • buzzardsbaitbuzzardsbait Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 49 Arc User
    does the laptop have a vga plug for an external monitor? use the pc monitor on it
    edited September 2015
    bioshrike said:

Can you tell me what screen resolution your're using? Are you playing in windowed or full screen mode? Does the interface get even smaller, if you go to the other end of the window scale slider? Are you using the general graphics quality slider, or the customized option, (check things like bloom quality, lighting quality, and so forth, under the custom options). Also try loading into safe mode of the game, to see if it's any different.

Now I am unable to set my screen resolution. When I try to switch to full screen, it crashes. I've deliberately kept things at their default settings until I have tested for lag, but I'll fool around with custom options and see it that does anything. Have my doubts, though.

This is no little thing. At default settings, the interface was microscopic. The interface even at max levels is extremely difficult to read. Messages would be too small to read for a lot of people. But luckily I have good eyes. I'd post this under bugs if I didn't have doubts to whether it qualified.

edited September 2015

does the laptop have a vga plug for an external monitor? use the pc monitor on it

When I ordered the machine, I specifically asked for one that I could hook up to a monitor. The VGA, that would be a large squarish port, wouldn't it? Unless, there is a different way to connect, I'm afraid not.

edited September 2015
    I'd like to thank both of you for the suggestions. Am afraid, though, that this is what it is, with no solution.
    edited September 2015
    Well, I finally got it fixed. Switched to Direct X 9 and was able to go full screen, but the resolution scale still wasn't working. (Nothing changed when I changed settings.) After a few more crashes, and restarts, the interface suddenly got HUGE. Got the scale bar back to default settings, and the game now has returned to the way it was on my old machine. Not at all sure what the problem was. But nothing like a quick kick to get a machine working properly. I fully expect that if I switch back to auto, or to Direct X 11, that it would work fine, now. But I'm afraid to mess with it. Thanks all, and I hope that I've given a heads up to anybody else who has experienced this problem.

Will try to describe it again. On downloading the game to a new machine. The interface was tiny. (HUB and control settings) Not only the in game interface, but everything, including the options window. On downloading, or course, I was at default settings in display. but changed that from auto to manual. Windowed maximized. Then I moved the interface settings to max, but it was STILL too small. The fix, as far as I can tell, was to switch to Direct X 9 from Direct X 11 in display. But that, I suspect, was just something that prompted the game to reset and put the interface at the size it belongs.
    edited September 2015
    One little postscript. I just finished PvP and am happy to say that the problem with the nodes has been resolved. Evidently those little oblong signs above a node that notify you which team is in possession of them are connected to the interface. Anyways, the game is all back to normal for me. Surely, I am not the only person who has experienced this problem, and somebody who has downloaded the game for the first time might not know that anything is wrong.
    edited September 2015
    A PPS. The problem with the number of players in an instance not showing also cleared up. Evidently, when the interface is too small, the final column gets cut off.

Now, that that has been cleared up, I am wrestling with another problem. Game pauses every few seconds. Get a message that says,"press alt to continue" or something like that. Very disruptive during combat. Until I get the game unpaused, I'm unable to get my encounters to work. Any suggestions on what might be causing this problem? Certainly would appreciate it.