test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New to Neverwinter; Want to RP

ayarkayark Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited December 2014 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
Hello, all! I briefly played Neverwinter a few months ago, but never really got into it. I left for DC Universe Online, and that clunked. Resoundingly. Decent game, but the community... Oy!

Anyways, I'm returning to this to give it another shot. My main thing in games is roleplay. I have been roleplaying for about seven years now. I've done both sci-fi and fantasy in MMO's, but this is the first game I've played where RP was the origin of the game. I'd like to get my rogue in on the action, but the fact of the matter is, I know absolutely NOTHING about D&D.

I hesitate to say I'm totally against D&D, but I was raised very conservative Christian, so it's definitely not my sort of thing. Ironic, yes, but that's part of the reason I'd be a rogue. I figure, if my character doesn't get into demonology or anything of that nature, there's no harm in it. Digress all you want about whether or not there is any harm in the game, but my decision remains. Therefore, I need an RP setting where magic is kept relatively tame. I do not mind magic at all, but when demons start rearing their ugly heads, I bow out.

If any of you know of a setting where this is OK (or even where my toon can be sort of plug her ears and pretend it doesn't exist; sort of like Han Solo: "Hokey religions and ancient weapons" and all that), and where I can learn the other intricacies of it all.

I am going to recreate my toon, so I'll post here when she's ready. Updating game now.

EDIT: Heck, if I can think of a good way to do it, I might even do a clockwork-sorcery inventor of sorts. Lemme ponder that...
Post edited by ayark on

Comments

• unsungchampionunsungchampion Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Check out my group. Links in the signature.
  • madamemoonlightmadamemoonlight Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Hello and welcome! Funnily enough I was having a conversation about some of the opinions certain individuals have upon the moral standings of D&D. It's nice to see you're willing to take a stab at it, and from what you've written I think it's safe to assume you are an educated individual capable of understanding what D&D is -really- about.

Firstly, I'll cover the matter of your lacking knowledge upon Dungeons & Dragons lore and such. You may not know it now, but it's relatively easy to learn. Ironically, creating a new character in a game you know little about can actually be relatively benefiting. Simply do the minimal research upon the race and class you wish to play as, and make them alien to the cultures around them. This doesn't mean they are stupid, they are simply new to the area; like a foreigner. This will result in much benefit, as your own beginning in the D&D universe will allow you to percieve the happenings of your character with incredible accuracy.

If you want to start RPing immediatly, or at the very least meet some like minded individuals I'd reccomend visiting the Moonstone Mask in game. Simply go to the back of the auction house in Protector's Enclave, and tucked away in the back is a portal beneath a stone arch. Entering this will take you to the floating tavern in the sky! Within of course is the largest population of RP'ers that I know of. Granted the quality of this RP differs greatly depending on who is there, it is an excellent place to initiate your RPing experience!

So now I'm going to explain why the usage of magic (in a demonic sense) isn't really something to be concerned about. I believe myself to be a fairly good person, who follows the law and treats everyone with kindness in real life. However, my main character is a Scourge Warlock named Chaos Witch Quelara. You'll be fascinated to know her alignment is Chaotic Good despite this. I won't get into it too much, but just know that while evil forces -do- exist in the D&D universe; nothing about it eludes to it being something that should be followed.

There are also very benevolant beings and organizations, which are followed and respected by almost all of the non-violent civilizations you come across in game. (Both Neverwinter and the original D&D) In fact, most campaigns and works of the official D&D books cater to (and presume) you to be good. The option to be otherwise is always there, but just be assured that Dungeons & Dragons has always been written in preference to being good. In no way does it influence or push it's players to pursue darker intentions, nor does it romanticize evil.

So have fun and just remember it's a neat-o game that lets you play it your way! Be safe, and if you ever have a question in game you can ask me @madamemoonlight!
    I've come to play and have fun! :]
    So I beseech thee. Drag me not into your pit of drama. :[
  • vangiggsyvangiggsy Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    Www.jaggeddaggers.com RP guild