test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestion - Spell Placement Profiles

bigredbrentbigredbrent Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 155 Arc User
edited July 2015 in Player Feedback (PC)
Would easily switchable spell placement profiles be useful to you?

Suggestion - Spell Placement Profiles 73 votes

Yes
78% 57 votes
No
6% 5 votes
Maybe
9% 7 votes
I just like to vote...
5% 4 votes
Post edited by bigredbrent on

Comments

• bigredbrentbigredbrent Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    This is evidently one of the most requested requests for this game, and is something that should have been implemented on day one.

There are many reasons why someone would need to switch out the spells often, and the only current way is to do it manually one by one, and is VERY cumbersome.

Please add easily switchable spell placement profiles. At least five or ten.

It could be as simple as adding up and down arrow buttons on top of each other with a number in the middle representing the currently picked spell placement profile. Perhaps even have it so that you can click on the number itself and a drop down menu would open up allowing you to directly select the desired profile from a list. Also add optional key bindings for these profiles. Maybe even add an option to attach a custom label to these profiles, to make selecting profiles easier with more descriptive names.

Spells that get replaced would go onto cooldown, just as they currently do when you manually swap them out.

Perhaps, place the default location for this interface directly to the left of the spell bar. There appears to be plenty of room for it in that location.

There are a lot of very simple ways that this could be implemented. But for the most part, this is a feature that should have been implemented yesterday.

I don't see a down side to this, and neither does pretty much every other MMO, because most of them already have this ability. I know from a coding point of view, this would be pretty simple to implement as well. There is really not much of an excuse why this would not be at the top of the list of things to implement in the very next patch...

This is one of those things that will need to be implemented until it finally is. Might as well implement it sooner rather than later.

To everyone reading this this. Please reply with a post explaining the different kinds of spell placement profiles you would love to use with this system. This kind of feedback may be useful to determine in what way this should be implemented.
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    no to ad sink, too annoying to remove them for alts you dont use and then set up again, but 2 free and then x zen for each one over that up to some 9 would be ok

and swap should be done whenever, but it should pop 2x cooldowns on every skill and cancel all effects (so smth like pala couldnt pop Enmity and then switch to dps rotation) but out of combat would be fine also
    Paladin Master Race
  • krailovkrailov Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    I did not know what I was missing until this thread! Love it, and it is definitely needed! Agree with burkaanc, I think 2 free on each toon, then AD or Zen to get more. I would be happy for totally out of combat only use, otherwise I think to many chances for programming errors... :)

Might is not always right - the powerful sometimes forget that.

The Small Band
  • arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    I really wanted to say yes, but seeing how poor(rushed?) recent code releases have been, I would expect a near total failure. This would likely then be subject to endless fixes coupled with the associated forum displeasure.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
    edited July 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    And 10 is way over the top.
    Don't unnecessarily nurf the idea. I see no reason why hundreds of possible profiles would be an issue, if they are added as needed and not all at once. From a programming point of view, a large number can be done in a way that is just as simple as a small number. There is no reason why the developers should limit this in any way, unless they want to charge ZEN for additional profile slots, just to milk more money.
    edited July 2015
    I heard that Star Trek Online already has this. I have not played that game, is this true?
  • helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    Just set up your ui thus

kuIVgFX.jpg

Chatbox cropped for amusing language and character picture cropped because I don't want some dummy annoying me in game

You just drag what you want to the bar

Some of the icons are for things not in the game we would supposedly have to datamine to know about. Maybe if the devs didn't have them in there already like the forward thinkers they are.
  • dulcemadulcema Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    As a wizard that constantly has to switch between aoe and single target spells (and sometimes repel) I would LOVE to see this implemented. Or just give us a second bar that can be loaded up and always available, even better.
    I suppose the way it is now creates the need to pay attention more to what's coming up, especially in dungeons. I'd probably get very lazy if I didn't have to do it the current way.
    35923643-f9fe-4545-86b5-64c8335094bb.jpg
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    Just set up your ui thus

kuIVgFX.jpg
    [...]
    You just drag what you want to the bar
    [...]

Though a togleabble second lineup would be even better, that is a most useful tip.

I didn't even know we can display your power roster in the UI, can't find a corresponding setting in my options :^/

How the heck does one that switch that on?
  • zeroxiczeroxic Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    probably will get me banned for being too nice and talking about hidden commands
    but since im getting annoyed with less and less rewarding gameplay - here goes:

do
    /bind F5 "GenAddWindow Hud_Traybox_Allpowers"
    press F5 (u can substitute any other free key for F5)

open gamemenu via esc and hit the rearrange button
    setup ur screen so u can see the whole bar

the bar contains everything that can be activated from inventory and then some more
    the encounters/dailies/atwills reorder themselves during a respec
    the left icons u cant rly do anything about orderwise - mount/praysymbol/etc

the right icons are all ur potions/altars/medkits - unslot em and put em in the bank then reslot if u want to reorder
    all ur encounters etc should be in the middle of ur screen below the hp-bar

when done open inventory or any other window or toggle mousemode
    u can now drag the powers to the bar with the "right mouse button"
    like the normal way: powers an cooldown cant be changed instantly
    and powers that have been changed go on cooldown
    still faster than usual cause u dont have to scroll around the powerswindow

the bar vanishes after client-reboot (hence the /bind F5 ...)
    or via
    /GenremoveWindow Hud_Traybox_Allpowers

when everything is done and looking great do
    /ui_save_file myui

switch to another char and do
    /ui_load_file myui

then again do
    and press F5

should now look/behave the same as ur first char

i hope this little infonugget eases the tension in-game a bit

enjoy
    zeroxic wrote: »
    probably will get me banned for being too nice and talking about hidden commands
    [...]

i hope this little infonugget eases the tension in-game a bit

enjoy

Super-massive-ultra thanks!

I sincerely do hope there won't be any untoward consequences. And yes, it really helps a lot - all that muddling from the Powers scree is unpleasantly error-prone...
    zeroxic wrote: »
    Yes, thank you. This is very useful. I hate opening up the powers window mid-combat.
  • jaydenomega812jaydenomega812 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    I never liked the idea of using keybinds. I would think that if it's something they wanted you to be able to use then it would be included in standard layouts of the HUD.

With that being said though my only concern for making a profile would be encounter powers could constantly be getting switched out making pvp a nightmare especially versus a Trickster rogue who could change there encounters quickly while in stealth further more....what would happen to cooldowns...eeekk....seems like something a lil much to invest in at this point when there are other things more pertinent to be fixed.
    edited July 2015
    [...]
    With that being said though my only concern for making a profile would be encounter powers could constantly be getting switched out making pvp a nightmare especially versus a Trickster rogue who could change there encounters quickly while in stealth further more....what would happen to cooldowns...eeekk....seems like something a lil much to invest in at this point when there are other things more pertinent to be fixed.

If you make that meaningfully, you'd put up a similar control mechanism like you see now: No switch during cooldown, and after switch the newly assigned skill has to undergo its cooldown before being useable. So with profile swapping that would/should mean ALL skills have to be on the ready, and all would start with a full CD. The swapper would lose more than a full rotation for swapping...

That'd somewhat prevent the constant swapping, while on the other hand the skill composition would immediately be preserved, while individually conservable. It'd give the option to e.g. compose a "Squishy/Crunchy" setup set, or a "AoE/Single Target", or "PvP/PvE", etc., etc.

As long as that's available to all players I can see no harm in that. It'd be more a matter of convenience than an imbalancing advantage to the people using it.
    edited July 2015
    As long as that's available to all players I can see no harm in that. It'd be more a matter of convenience than an imbalancing advantage to the people using it.
    Exactly.

And for those useing that spell bar and don't always want it up, you can use this command to make the F4 key close it:
    /bind f4 genremovewindow hud_traybox_allpowers

• zeroxiczeroxic Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    like i wrote back then: the encounters/dailies/atwills reorder themselves during a respec
    no other way afaik cause this wasnt made to be used in the released game i guess
    grabbing it with rightMB was unexpected yes - nearly dismissed the bar when i found the code for it 8p

copy a char to testserver and hit the free respec
    whenever u put a powerpoint into a skill it moves around the bar
    so i upgraded the singletarget spells first to 4pts and then the aoe ones after that - made them sort of grouped that way

like i said - not rly the QoL improvement ppl always wanted
    but if done that way it beats having to scroll around in P window
    maybe makes some ppls live easier nonetheless
    edited March 2016
    I have been asking for this since I started playing this game.

Looks like you have to install a bot program to be able to get this functionality now.

Seriously Cryptic, add this feature yourself so that people do not have to resort to using a hack!
  • malfoirmalfoir Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Meanwhile in Stronghold of Evil... group plans to do unthinkable evils... THEY are creating,

THIS >:)
    Post edited by malfoir on
  • wildfiredewildfirede Member Posts: 886 Arc User
    Would be nice to have a feature that was in RPG-s since Diablo 1 :)
    As a protection paladin switching all skills/pet between pve and grind i can only join the request.
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"
    zhentarim-warlock-companion

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
    plague-fire-weapon-enchant-r11-vs-r12
  • urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    I am a GF so I am clueless about the question