test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Control Bonus for Trappers?

soonergmsoonergm Member Posts: 503 Arc User
The more I think about the trapper build, the more I feel like it is a poor man's controller. That's not meant to be demeaning, because it's such a fun build to play. But there are many similarities with the mechanics.

So I'm wondering if it's worth it to look for ways to increase our control bonuses. For example the control bonus boon from ToD campaign.

Also how does it work? Does it increase controlling damage or duration? Does it increase the likelihood of rooting an enemy? Does it do all of these things?
My Toons

SoonerGM - HR Trapper
Haven - Righteous Cleric
Ethereal Justice - OP Paladin

Comments

• soonergmsoonergm Member Posts: 503 Arc User
    For anyone else that may be interested, I found this discussion. I know upcoming content will be easier for us than it was when introduced on PC but I think I'm going to go ahead and go for the boon. Enemies are still supposed to be more difficult.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Neverwinter/comments/36uuxd/your_hr_thoughts_on_control_bonus/
    My Toons

SoonerGM - HR Trapper
    Haven - Righteous Cleric
  • guarana76guarana76 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I got myself thinking about the same thing this weekend.

We have only to pay attention that ToD boon talks about increasing control bonus by certain %, so if you don´t have a significant number of control points it will be worthless.

As far as I know there are only a few equipments that provide control points.

"Dragon's Grip Grants 10/12.5/15% increased Control Strength"

Well if you have a decent Wisdom score you should have some good control % and the boon will just make it that much better.
    My Toons

SoonerGM - HR Trapper
    Haven - Righteous Cleric
  • armwaldarmwald Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    Also there are a couple of Artifacts ( Belial Portal Stone 450 @ legendary ) is one.

A companion Slyblade Kobold gives + 3% that goes to 5% if increased in rank cost 1200 Zen

Also do not forget you can get the Control Bonus from your Artifact Off Hand

I have the Artifact ( @ 430 ) and the Off Hand (@ 216 ) plus the first 2 Boons from ToD ( 12.5% )

Tests I did at the House of Blades Constricting Roots lasted 9-10+ seconds and ticked off 4-5 damage rounds

I would have improved my Artifact and Offhand to the max but will wait for EE to drop or DR
  • alliera7311alliera7311 Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    You guys are forgetting the Mage companion 15% control strength and 25% at epic worth getting.
    Guild: TLO GH 20
    Main: EMERALD LEGEND
    oh and lets not forget about the horn of lostmauth!
    oh and lets not forget about the horn of lostmauth!

I want that so bad lol
    My Toons

SoonerGM - HR Trapper
    Haven - Righteous Cleric
    Also note that in mod 6 your control bonus rises by deault from your stats. Your artifacts and companions get increase too. The class change to the hunter roots wont affect us in PvE but it most certainly will in PvP without companions.
  • wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    Someone just told me Control Bonus does not work for Trapper HR`s in a new thread I made, can anyone confirm this is true or not please?
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
    i have not heard that. where is the thread?

i do not see why that would be the case... we have rooting, and now even daze ability, which are both control powers.
    My Toons

SoonerGM - HR Trapper
    Haven - Righteous Cleric
    Here is the thread, I created it in the Bug section as I do not think Control Bonus works properly or at all.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1205119/control-bonus-not-working-thus-zen-bought-companion-etc-not-working

I basically feel like I have wasted so much time and resources on my control bonus increase items/companions and all for nothing :(
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
    On another note learning this information I have posted has increased my DPS :)

Switched out Cantankerous Mage (who did nothing for my actives) for an Air Archon, then switched out my Panther (found out prone is not as good as I 1st thought) for a Fire Archon.

I have not really seen any difference in the length of time of roots/dazes now I have taken off my Control Bonus % increase things.

If anyone else has a different experience of a Trapper and Control Bonus please post your findings.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    I have an air archon and will get a fire at some point as well. Also there is another companion that gives a bonus when enemy is rooted. I'll have to check the specifics and get back here with them.

Back on topic, I'm still curious as to why we don't receive bonuses for control. In dungeons and skirmishes it seems the adds don't stay rooted or dazed for long at all so it would be beneficial imo if we could get a little time extension on them.
    My Toons

SoonerGM - HR Trapper
    Haven - Righteous Cleric
  • davidagaldodavidagaldo Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    soonergm said:

Back on topic, I'm still curious as to why we don't receive bonuses for control. In dungeons and skirmishes it seems the adds don't stay rooted or dazed for long at all so it would be beneficial imo if we could get a little time extension on them.

I am not trying to spark excitement, but I don't feel this request would go over well with the community since we have Stun. Run two Rangers and its dun! Sorry, had to rhyme a bit.

In dungeons and skirms, if you need more, then the group you're running with is not jumping on the opportunity. If your rotation is set right and fast, you can benefit the group by holding the enemy stunned with some over lap or maybe small gaps. Just make sure to be the first in and group everyone. Adjust yourself so you bring the majority to your AoE - stun, step out and stun again, go back in... you get it.

Its OK to take some damage. If Oak Skin is not in your rotation, it should be for this to work, can't trust some Clerics. ;)

Guild: Spectrum
    .. Teucer (HR) / Maximus Decimus (DC) .. GT: ApexDemon
    I have seen no difference in the amount of damage ticks from roots etc with any control bonus increase items so I would not suggest getting the Cantakerous Mage etc, mine is sitting in my bag now. As someone pointed out to me when Master Trapper kicks in it over-writes any Control Bonus you have anyway and this activates every 10 seconds.

So I imagine it would still be useful to non-trapper HR's.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe