test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why no southpaw controls?

trawhorntrawhorn Member Posts: 8 Arc User
What do I have to do to have southpaw controls in neverwinter? Write an email? Post on here? I've posted on here before about it and it's like nobody even bothered with it. It's not easy to just switch to default settings after playing southpaw for 12 years

Comments

• Options
    stpensivestpensive Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    I am left handed as well so I feel your pain, or at least I used to.

Dragon Age: Inquisition, Arckham: Anything, Bioshock, Shadow of Mordor; just a short list of games I could not play because there was no way to swap the sticks. 'Just learn with your right' was the response from the obtuse. When I challenged them with swapping to southpaw for games that had it, so they could see that what they were stating was way more frustrating than they could imagine, all I heard were crickets.

That said, and with wanting to play every title mentioned above, I did indeed retrain my brain (slightly larger now). I will say it took weeks to feel comfortable with it. It is still hard to fathom how, in 2015, that game developers summarily dismiss 1 in 8 potential players by not having this option. At the very least, consider it a wise business decision as many will pass on your games (I did) when I knew it did not have southpaw support.
  • Options
    patsfirepatsfire Member Posts: 833 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    As a right-hander I would like to know why its hard for you to play the game? You use BOTH hands whether you are a lefty or a righty, so aren't we all a little ambidextrous when playing games?

Edit: This is not meant as an insult and negative comment in any way. I truly would like to know why it is hard for you.
  • Options
    trawhorntrawhorn Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Patsfire,
    I've been playing southpaw since I was 14. I'm 26 now, and it's just so engraved in my head that I can't switch. It's not that my right hand is useless either, I just use it for moving instead of looking around. I am decent with default but not close to where I'd be if I could play southpaw.

Everyone has their own preferences and neverwinter only has one control scheme. A lot of people will turn this game down because of that fact. I play because my friends play it, and it's getting to the point where I might stop playing it because trying to play default controls is just annoying to me. At this point I've invested so much time into the game, I have almost full profound and I'm working on my artifact weapons.

Also, just some information I will throw out there. Half of my friends play southpaw controls and they're right handed.
  • Options
    alchendaalchenda Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I agree with you dude they should add it
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I would love to see proper button mapping!

Not a problem on my DC but I'd love to move Spell Mastery on my CW to the B button...
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    elikenuielikenui Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    it would be nice to be able to map your own controls, but probably not high on the priority list because there's a lot of other stuff that needs to be fixed.
  • Options
    willwheatleywillwheatley Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    patsfire wrote: »
    As a right-hander I would like to know why its hard for you to play the game? You use BOTH hands whether you are a lefty or a righty, so aren't we all a little ambidextrous when playing games?

Edit: This is not meant as an insult and negative comment in any way. I truly would like to know why it is hard for you.
    For the exact same reason that most people can't shoot a golf ball or hockey puck equally both ways, despite using BOTH hands on the club/stick