test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why are the words "got" and "gotten" censored?

xenolith666xenolith666 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
I've noticed this awhile back.. but didn't think anything of it. But why are the words "got" and "gotten" censored? how are those dirty words? seems strange is all.

Comments

• bluedoodbluedood Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    Iirc they are slang in another language, but I am just going off what I was told in another game where got is a blocked word.
  • xenolith666xenolith666 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    huh.. apparently it's a dirty word in german.. go figure.. like fubar...
  • vagu2vagu2 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    nope, not german.
  • xxxsfalxxxxxxsfalxxx Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    In modern dictionary German, got means nothing. Gott translates out to God though, which in Old High German is indeed got. Which can be also goot which is just good. IDK. Although it's kind of weird, strange, qr and funny in a way because in English language slang 'got means something else and yet game chat doesn't censor the entire word it's short for (with no need to use \ or / or * ) but I bet it does on forum. So, they're not consistent.
  • nullvaluepointnullvaluepoint Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    Same with "it's not" apparently it thinks (s not) is a bad word.
  • cactusjacktercactusjackter Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    things like "it is" and "it in" are also censored. The latter is particularly hilarious as one of the emotes in the game actually uses that as part of its text. Censoring themselves all over the place...
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I believe someone said that "got" is a bad word in Korean? I'm not 100% sure on that. PC version also filters any form of 0k. So you can't say 40k or 80k without it being filtered, however on the PC version, we have the ability to turn off the profanity filter. Is this not possible with the Xbox version?
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    fubar is an acronym of "f*d up beyond all recognition"
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • danny3421danny3421 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    armadeonx wrote: »
    fubar is an acronym of "f*d up beyond all recognition"

I didn't really want to know that. But don't worry about it.
  • nem3slsnem3sls Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    kreatyve wrote: »
    on the PC version, we have the ability to turn off the profanity filter. Is this not possible with the Xbox version?

Not in the current state of the game, would be awesome to turn off though
    The Legendary Outlaws

maintaining HR, DC, GWF, TR, SW, CW, OP, 4 Kids and 1 wife :p Dungeon runs anyone?

Tweet me @ nem3sis_AUT
    Streaming NWXbox daily @ 7PM CEST My Twitch
    When is this for you? Worldtime Buddy

I miss you Boo :(
  • draven165draven165 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    Wow! I was always under the impression it was filtered due to the HBO Show Game of Thrones - To hear it is because of a slang word that 90% of the people playing would not have known yet players can create names with the F Bomb or even worse references is lost on me. That all seems completely backwards. But nothing new here.
  • xxxsfalxxxxxxsfalxxx Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    Everyone would probably be better served by not allowing anything in the form of nnn.nnn.nnn Especially in trade chat.