test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please implement captchas in gateway instead of removing leadership management

The way to combat gateway botting is implementing captchas, not removing a great customer service (do leadership tasks form anywhere at anytime).

Comments

• demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    crimpatul wrote: »

The way to combat gateway botting is implementing captchas, not removing a great customer service (do leadership tasks form anywhere at anytime).

+1 this would be better.

I am mad as hell and i'm not gonna take this anymore!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    Captcha would have been a great solution. At the very least worth doing before going nuclear.
  • cjh1983cjh1983 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 229 Arc User
    come on, you know captcha's can be defeated right?
  • crimpatulcrimpatul Member Posts: 197
    cjh1983 wrote: »

Ask google engineers why they use it.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User

And botters can still farm leadership from in-game, so this move hampers legitimate players more than it will bots, anyway...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User
    Yes, please use a captcha. Removing this from the gateway is punishing people that actually have jobs.
    Crafting in the gateways is the most entertaining thing in this game for me now.
  • crimpatulcrimpatul Member Posts: 197
    Its better to have leadership + captcha than nothing.
  • godofallodsgodofallods Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    TnoClZH.jpg

Here is an example
  • ldedric1ldedric1 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Disabling on gateway is a non solution, and here is why.

Botters who are using gateway will simply change formats and start using "IN-GAME" bots creating in-game lag, I foresee Protectors Enclave being lag swamped worse than Spinward rise was at the start of Mod 6.

This is not an effective temporary or permanent fix!
  • beck54beck54 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    Captcha is able to be worked around. For practically nothing. Captcha would just be more hassle for the rest of us.

This is a tough deal and it's gonna take the AD market a while to rebound.
  • luks707luks707 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    The focus has to be on banning anyone who does bot imho as with leadership (unlike spamming) you can't just make another account.
    I think a capcha system has problems. Do you require it whenever someone logs into leadership? Do you require it at log in (which if there's 50 characters on an account it makes very little difference even with a forced re-log).
    Crucially they need something in game as well as on gateway as botting is rife in game.
  • vlakatorvlakator Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    My personal opinion is the capcha system would have been a much better place to start than just doing away with the leadership profession every 20 min or so have a capcha popup and people have to prove they are there instead of some robot...

Hell having people enter their user name and password is such a great security system we have to do it every time we want to play, why not have an automatic log out after about an hour and make people have to sign back in?

Something... Anything except taking away the one equalizer people who don't have hours and hours to spend playing to make some astral diamonds that will at least give them a fighting chance with those enhanced OP opponents in so many places...

Then if there was still a problem, by all means go nuclear nuts on everyone, but at least try the least offensive path first...

Why do I feel inclined to plead "pleeeeese" here?
  • clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    Captcha is like all the copy protection software, it never stops the people they are trying to stop, it just causes extra hassles for people they are not trying to stop.
  • lordsmokeslordsmokes Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    bioshrike wrote: »

And botters can still farm leadership from in-game, so this move hampers legitimate players more than it will bots, anyway...
    The botters probably got together to make this happen. There AD sales must have gone down.
  • group5egroup5e Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    TnoClZH.jpg

Here is an example

Dude you posted this like 10 times now in other posts....we get it.
  • gphxgphxgphxgphx Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    It's possible to go to various websites and actually get paid for solving Captchas. This isn't supposed to be work, it's supposed to be fun.

Additionally I'm guessing you have sharp vision and hearing. Not everyone does. For some people like me Captchas can be a frustrating problem though admittedly some are far easier to use than others. The wrong type of Captcha renders a site basically unusable for some people.

Captchas are contrary to the current internet accessibility trend and some day soon sites might be sued for using them.

Other games seem to have managed to deal with botters on the server end instead of punishing players. Maybe the devs should hire some of the people who accomplished that. A legitimate problems for development companies is botters count as part of their player base. If they do something to remove them they have to report a big drop in player base on legally required financial documents. But in the long term it'd probably be better to bite that bullet than lose a ton of legitimate, zen shop patronizing players.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Yep. People have lives, have jobs, have kids, need to eat, need to sleep.

Bots don't even need to worry about breathing air. Do the DEVs or supporters think this will hinder them at all? They will adjust them to do leadership in-game and go on about their daily life while people stuck at work... or asleep are simply screwed.
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    Ill advised decisions are ill advised, but, I mean, I'm not really sure anyone at top level management cares.

If I were to throw out ideas of why they did this, I'd say there's probably someone in mid to top level management who's like "oh wow, these numbers are super embarrassing. Quick, do something so it looks like we're not just sitting on our thumbs" and then they decided "Well, if the problem is the Gateway and most games don't even have a gateway, let's just !@#$ with the gateway!"

And so they did.

Personally, I'm not convinced there's a financial incentive for top level management to actually invest the resources into the game necessary to make it fun and playable. At this rate, I can't help but think Neverwinter has just become another way for Wizards to advertise Dungeons and Dragons. But if that's true, then whatever licensing deal they've got going on is probably backfiring, because nothing has turned me off of figuring out the state of the Forgotten Realms in 5E more than seeing how inconsistently Neverwinter has applied.