test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Best Paladin Build?

wrathofcrotawrathofcrota Member Posts: 7 Arc User
Could you help me build a Paladin? Well, What would you say is the best, Defensive, or Healer. I'm not fussed on DPS but If i need it then I'll go down it. I'm new to NW PC so.. Yes, I'm a noob. I rolled my Paladin with 20 Con, 15 Wis, 13 Cha, 8 Str, 10 Dex, 10 Int

Is that good? I'm really torn Between Healing, or Defensive. My character name in the game is Madamé Pompadore amd I'm a Dwarf. (Good.. Or not?) I'm only Level 9 but I want to make sure I get it right. I've played on Xbox so I understand some terms.

Please Help a noob out.

Comments

• Options
    castethcasteth Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    all depends about what you will plan to do with him, pve? pvp?
    all depends about if you are going to spend some money on it
    all depends about if you want to be a tank or help your team with heal

Don't ask for the best, there is no bes build like devotion and protector are totally different, not worst or best, both can be usefull, both can be useless, it depends of many things.
  • Options
    wrathofcrotawrathofcrota Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Well, PvE, and I will probably end up spending money on her. What would you recommend from your PoV, from what you've experienced?
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    I have both: A Devotion (healer) Paladin and a Tank (Defense) Paladin. Personally I'm having more fun with the tank. There are a lot of decent build guides, here's one if you're thinking about tank: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1192466/silverspars-bulwark-protection-paladin-guide

NOTE: This is just a guide as to how one person did it. It does;t mean it's the right way, best way, or even recommended way. it's just one way to do things. But they explain why they are doing things this way, which may help give you some insight into things.
  • Options
    alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Really difficult to give suggestions if you are unsure of what paragon you want to play, as your starter rolls will revolve around that. However constitution/charisma are two of the stronger choices.

Charisma provides stamina regeneration (both useful for tank and healer), action point gain (also important for both paragons, meaning faster dailies), combat advantage damage and companion stat bonus.

I play a devotion OP and while wisdom is nice to have, giving critical chance and bonus to healing, the game right now doesn't require that much from a devotion OP if you use bond of virtue and vow of enmity. Meaning that there is a lot of trickle healing going on at all times (if you are alive ofc). Light spec healing is really strong as it is, so wisdom is still an overkill. Say an average DPS player has 88k hit points, why in the world do you need a million heal!?

(edit) Forgot to mention that wisdom also provides to control bonus and control resist. While we do have some "control" skills, we still aren't control wizards and it's not our specialty. I am strictly PvE player, so I can't comment how the control resistance affects PvP but in PvE, I don't think it's good enough unless you have additional bonuses. I have the slyph so I notice a better reduction on top of that vs another toon with just the slyph.

That saying, wisdom is not a bad stat at all but most OP's will probably get most out of charisma. Constitution is always a plus, since healers tend to pull lots of aggro and well, a tank needs the HP as it is. If you are unsure which path you want to play, you can do a rounder number with the cha/wis rolls and go with a high con. Keep that in mind if you want to be a BiS player in the end, it may hurt you. Though towards the extreme, you could always purchase a reroll token then.

I personally rolled con/wis but that was when OP's first came out and was going for a crit build. Knowing what I do now, I would probably have toned back on wisdom, by a little and went with more charisma instead. Either way, I'm pretty satisfied with my con/wis roll, as I still have a 20 charisma, 21 constitution, 25 wisdom (29 with greater belt of wisdom) with the campfire bonus. It's an all rounder and works for me. Plus who knows what the future brings.. maybe we will eventually need those big heals.

I find devotion justice to be a lot of fun. Tanking, IMO, tends to be more stressful for me (in all MMO's) vs playing a healer. That however, is still a personal choice.
    Post edited by alkemist80 on
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • Options
    jugger71jugger71 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 252 Arc User
    I roll with a Protector/Justice build. People say its broken, bugged, overpowered, whatever... Yada yada. I dont care, I like it and it fits my playstyle. I can tank, lead the charge and deal respectable damage.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    jugger71 wrote: »
    I roll with a Protector/Justice build. People say its broken, bugged, overpowered, whatever... Yada yada. I dont care, I like it and it fits my playstyle. I can tank, lead the charge and deal respectable damage.

I concur.

Yes it is broken, and therefor the wise are expecting a surprise nerf to it. But until then enjoy the hell out of it while you can (my 'you" is a general 'you' to mean everyone). Though I do recommend saving up, then converting some Astral Diamonds to buy a RETRAINING (Respec) token or two to sit in your bank for when that happens. If you expect the nerf to happen it's doesn't hurt so much when it happens and by having a respec-token ready to go there's no heartburn or butthurt in it.

My point being: We all know a nerf is coming, so what? For now play what you can while you can so long as it's a lot of fun.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    A nerf or "fix" makes no sense whatsoever. Pro/Justice is in a perfectly good spot right now. Nerf our damage, survivability and/or utility in any way and all that does is make us an undesirable party member. If they do nerf anything I should hope they buff it in some other place. Of course, that never happens. lol

And please point me or post the threads in which these bugs are reported. I know of no bug that makes Pro/Justice overpowered. Im not saying it isnt I just cant seem to find these bug reports. They certainly are not common knowledge or I would know about it.

If its prism/burning guidance, I use niether. Could be the encounter insta-cooldown is proccing a bit too often? I honestly dont know. Possibly the OP/GF or OP/HR interaction? Those should be fixed if deemed overpowered. I dont try to exploit those. Possibly why I dont know. I do know that HRs Im partied with love to try and kill me. Not sure what thats all about. I never investigated any further.

My point being, the way I play my Pro/Justice pally seems neither overpowered nor exploitative in any way. In fact, it feels like it is exactly where it should be.
    Post edited by jugger71 on
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    jugger71 HR with Slasher's Mark will proc Aura of Courage at you; swap Courage out and it stops (also reduces your lag).

wrathofcrota: You need to decide now if you plan to be Protection or Devotion. (Seriously.)

For Protection pile all stat pips into Con and Cha. For Devotion, pushing 1 or 2 into Wisdom wouldn't hurt, but otherwise its again Con and Charisma.

There are several Justice builds floating around the forums (at least one for each of Protection and Devotion) and 2 Protector Bulwark builds here as well. I do recommend chaosshewolf's guide over mine; the differences in our builds is marginal.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    A nerf or "fix" makes no sense whatsoever. Pro/Justice is in a perfectly good spot right now. Nerf our damage, survivability and/or utility in any way and all that does is make us an undesirable party member. If they do nerf anything I should hope they buff it in some other place. Of course, that never happens. lol

And please point me or post the threads in which these bugs are reported. I know of no bug that makes Pro/Justice overpowered. Im not saying it isnt I just cant seem to find these bug reports. They certainly are not common knowledge or I would know about it.

If its prism/burning guidance, I use niether. Could be the encounter insta-cooldown is proccing a bit too often? I honestly dont know. Possibly the OP/GF or OP/HR interaction? Those should be fixed if deemed overpowered. I dont try to exploit those. Possibly why I dont know. I do know that HRs Im partied with love to try and kill me. Not sure what thats all about. I never investigated any further.

My point being, the way I play my Pro/Justice pally seems neither overpowered nor exploitative in any way. In fact, it feels like it is exactly where it should be.

I have a devotion OP guide which identifies a lot of these bugs, also, I wrote a long article somewhere in the bug reports section. Either one will explain to you why the class will get rebalanced at some stage, so you should take a look at either if you want an explanation.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    -SNIP-

I have a devotion OP guide which identifies a lot of these bugs, also, I wrote a long article somewhere in the bug reports section. Either one will explain to you why the class will get rebalanced at some stage, so you should take a look at either if you want an explanation.

This.

It doesn't matter if you actively try to exploit a bug - many trigger the bug without knowledge it even exists, This is the 'problem' - every class ever released always goes through a balancing phase that often last a few months if not longer - hell it took a year before the DC was properly balanced and many would argue the GF is still in a terrible way and the SW feels nerfed into the ground (it's not, it's the massive buffing of mobs that make it feel this way).

The point being that as great as the Paladin feels right now it would behoove you to prepare yourself for changes, some of which will be uncomfortable.

Right now my supertank Protection/Bulwark Paladin feels "overpowered" in terms of tankiness; amazing survivability and ridiculous encounter cooldowns on top of that. But yet I fear there is a nerfhammer with my name on it. So I am preparing myself for that day.

And I genuinely suspect that whatever nerftarget is on the Protect/Bulwark Paladin's back, the //Justice Paladin's target is at least five times larger (based on what it feels like on my Devotion/Justice paladin).

As they always say: time will tell all eventually.

EDIT to fix autocorrupt spelling and whatnot (bad keyboard, bad, BAD!)
  • Options
    My OP is pro/justice. I cant comment on dev/justice. Pro/justice feels like its right where it should be to me. If anything I would really like a damage increase to my at-wills. But you're probably right, better to be safe than sorry I suppose.
  • Options
    xedo01xedo01 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    i am very new to the game. i am sorry for asking this , as i cannot post yet in my own post, is pro/justice a tanking build? is there a good write up i could read?
    being new i don't know how to build up my paladin i was thinking heals, but i may tank and heal on a cleric.

All links and advice appreciated
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    xedo01 wrote: »
    i am very new to the game. i am sorry for asking this , as i cannot post yet in my own post, is pro/justice a tanking build? is there a good write up i could read?
    being new i don't know how to build up my paladin i was thinking heals, but i may tank and heal on a cleric.

All links and advice appreciated

Protection in general is the tanking build for paladin, there are many protection guides on the forums, for both justice and bulwark. I recommend Predoborg's one. Devotion is the healer build, the only devotion build on the forums is mine http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1195336/by-the-light-sharpedges-devotion-op-pve-guide

A devotion OP is better then a cleric at filling the role of a healer and damage mitigater, but in a strong party, the healing and damage mitigation a paladin or a fleric is largely unnecessary. In a strong party, you will want a righteous dc for the damage buffs they provide. I recommend a light pally for healing for a weak group and a righteous dc for a strong group.