test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TR Question?

deganjideganji Member Posts: 22 Arc User
edited July 2015 in The Thieves' Den
Hey all. I haven't played in a long while and decided to come back. I've taken a couple classes to 60 before, GWF and CW, but never really "liked" them, if you get what I mean.

I decided to give trickster rogue another shot, never taken one past 10, and so far am in love with it. So fun to play. But then I got Duelist's Flurry. I've been trying to get used to it, since I've read it's pretty much the go to at will for TR, but I just hate it. It just feels out of place to me and I know I'll never like it.

If I was to use Sly Flourish, would I be completely gimped? Is Duelist's Flurry that much of a must have that I should just move on?

Comments

• drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    DF adds a Bleed over Time effect, that stacks pretty high for what it is. It is slow, but it is effective. I have had opponents run away from me, after I have dropped a few DF rotations into them, only to watch them die a few steps away.

It would also depend on your build. Some believe it is the only way to go in PvE, where SF does not do enough for the work.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    Yep. In PvE the bleed damage generates like 40% of your overall dps. So using sly will drop your DPS strong.
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • deganjideganji Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Ok, thanks all for the info.
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    karakla1 wrote: »
    Yep. In PvE the bleed damage generates like 40% of your overall dps. So using sly will drop your DPS strong.

If I may add a bit more info for the thread-opener to think about:

1. ...but then it will also boost everyone else's damage by 6%. So if the increase in 6% of the combined DPS output of your four allies in your party is greater than the loss of your own 40% of DPS, then it's not too bad. Of course, normally, in PuG environment, nobody trusts the other guys... so choices like these are more of options for organized parties where team-synergy-support roles are more likely to shine.
      2. In terms of your own personal DPS, it is a big drop in damage. Yes. But in lower levels of gameplay where the mobs are weak, often DF can be an "overkill." Meaning: when you are at lower levels, there aren't actually too many mobs that can require both of your 2 initial attacks and then take the 3rd flurry strikes+bleeds to take down.

If I may explain, imagine there's a certain mob. This mob can be killed with 3 swipes of Sly Flourish, but it doesn't die with just the 2 initial attacks of DF. So if you use DF to kill this mob, you need to go through DF1... DF2... and then DF3 flurries to kill it, which takes at least like 4~5 seconds. But with SF, you can kill this mob in less tham half the time. This is what I meant by "overkill", and in lower levels DF can actually make things slower for you. DF begins to shine when the mobs grow much more in HP

Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
    edited July 2015
    I tested now with Sly Flourish on a puppet and with Duelist flurry.
    With Duelist Flurry i generate 43K DPS and with Sly Flourish 40-42K DPS. The drop in damage seems smaller than expected.

Edit: I noticed that my artifact weapon has still the damage bonus for duelist flurry equipped. I will do more testing with ACT and run some dungeons with Sly Flourish instead of Duelist Flurry and post the results in thia thread.
    Post edited by karakla1 on
    plat.png
    That would be cool...
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    SYNERGY Alliance
    Okay, i tested today a bit and the difference seems only be if i solely use Sly Flourish or Duelist Flurry and doesn't use any other abilities (includes that i doesn't use stealth).
    Duelist Flurry: ~30,000
    Sly Floursih: ~23,500

The difference is ~21% more damage for Duelist Flurry. BUT if i use my build on it the damage is more like this on the training puppet.
    Duelist Flurry: ~40,000
    Sly Flourish: ~ 44,000

I use following build: MI-Saboteur
    I attack with Duelist Flurry or Sly Flurrish if stealthed and try to be as often in stealth as possible. This means the hits of Sly Flourish hits harder because of the critical hits as Duelist Flurry because the small attacks have less damage but Duelist Flurry has its bleeding but on a puppet can't compensate the damage that i deal with Sly Flourish.

On pracitcal use, like kweassa said, it is really good at dailies. Because you must not go in the Flurry and are faster done with the small monster groups.
    In Dungeons, hard to say. I did two eLOL runs today and with two different groups. The first one with Sly Flourish and dealt around 31 million damage with duelist flurry around 37 million damage. But it was two different groups, so it can be because of this.

How it works with different builds,... no clue. But i enjoyed fighting with Sly Flourish but it has it flaws while in the Flurry i am attached to a monster and can do full damage i must run to the monsters and have less time "on the monster" which could mean a loss in damage while Duelist Flurry has the flaw i can be dragged into AOE attacks from monster (happens quite a lot in the random eLOL test run that a team member dragged me into a lava pit of one of the scorpions).
    Duelist Flurry has the advantage if i must retreat from a bigger monster it deals still damage because of the bleeding while i can constantly debuff a monster with Sly Flurrish and the group deals up to 6% more damage.

In the current situation i would say both is viable and good to handle, in 95% of the runs i am number one in paingiver chart but i am well equipped with ~3.100 iLvl.
    plat.png
    edited July 2015
    Is it possible to slot both of these At Wills... I believe it is. Why do we always choose one Melee and one Ranged?

I may actually switch to add Sly Flourish to dungeon runs and remove DHS.

Well done and thank you.
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Gloaming and DF are my picks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
    Strangely Gloaming Cut doesn't do as much damage as Sly Flourish. With Gloaming Cut i deal with my build and rotation only 28-30K DPS.
    plat.png
  • quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    Try it like this, when your stealth bar is full or about to get full:

- do 2 attacks with DF and when thrid combo strike starts press your TAB (it wont interupt the attack)
    - (if you're running Sab) use WR from behind to restore the stealth and debuff the enemy even more.
    - else do 3 attacks with SF for the debuff.
    - your stealth should be up by now, you can repeat the rotation.

I guess I need to add the next Power Point to Sly.
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • lofter2lofter2 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Gloaming cut is something that really can't be compared to the others. It's more of a situational move rather than a go-to offense. I usually chip the enemy down with DF or SF and then start knocking big chunks off of the HP with gloaming as it gets stronger against damaged foes.
    karakla1 wrote: »
    Strangely Gloaming Cut doesn't do as much damage as Sly Flourish. With Gloaming Cut i deal with my build and rotation only 28-30K DPS.

• blag001blag001 Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    for me, DF is hard to use successfully against moving targets or targets that drops area damage.
    as said, for some low mobs DF is overkill 9000, but for later harder mobs you will need to face them for longer and DF "roots" you in spot untill the combo is over and it lets you to be attacked too.
    quspiv said that he uses that "stealth rotation", for me I got used to play more with the SF, trying to controll with stuns and dodging harder attacks. DF brings more damage, but I save it for controled targets or targets ignoring me because of higher threat person on the party.
    Actually... while I was using DF I have been dragged by my target all around the area. Yes, it has a limit but I am not always rooted.
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    drkbodhi wrote: »
    Actually... while I was using DF I have been dragged by my target all around the area. Yes, it has a limit but I am not always rooted.

A lot of "woops!" moments when you're doing PvE with a CW... and there's a cliff nearby.

You can guess why. :rolleyes:

Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
    edited July 2015
    kweassa wrote: »

A lot of "woops!" moments when you're doing PvE with a CW... and there's a cliff nearby.

LOL... been there done that.
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • rustlordrustlord Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    kweassa wrote: »

It's intentional. I call dibs on the conspiracy theory.