test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

An idea for more party flexibility.

freefrothfreefroth Member Posts: 36 Arc User
Was just thinking about an idea that could give people some flexibility in the role they play in a party over the course of a dungeon, and also increases the ability to try different tactics at challenging bosses. It could even be monetised.
What if there where an option to 'call a friend' from your account? Ie swap any of the toons in your account for the current toon in play. You could make it a micro transaction ability (a la scrolls of life) so it doesn't get abused. But if you're really stuck with your 3cw 2hr party at Syndreth someone can call in agf if they have invested in making a decent one. This would make the investment in leveling several toons greater than just getting a class artifact. Safeguards on appropriate ilvl would need to be made obviously. Just thought the game could use a bit more fun atm.

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    The ability to change out your current character for one of your others would be neat. I don't think you'd need to make it a Zen store item - a simple cooldown of 30 or 60 minutes should suffice, to avoid overuse.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    Yup cooldown would be good from our perspective... but we kinda have to make it worth while for the company, I'm thinking.
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    jimmyhar wrote: »
    People would find a way to abuse it, like everyone equipping a running/stealth/dodge toon to get to the boss quickly then switching to a DPS toon to win the loot.

People would abuse it because: people.

Another situation in which their lack of ability to use concepts from other games hurts them. There should be no way, in any official game, that you can skip content. This is what doors, artificial barriers, traps, Immune to stealth mobs are for.

But anyways, yes, people would abuse it. In this game, its apparently a huge fear that people will get to the end boss, kick their team out, and then bring in their friends. I can't say I have EVER had this happen in any other game, even a game in which this action is allowed (like WoW, unless they changed it recently)., but its like an end of the world scenario here. And here I thought grouping with friends was the point, but anyways.

And remember the PWE motto (Mods, you really can't say anything to this because they stated this in public): If we don't get money from it, there is no point building it.
  • Options
    sasagerusasageru Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    It's a really good idea in theory, but yeah, it would be abused. It would need to be limited to prevent over/mis use, perhaps as people say, with a cooldown - though I'd say several hours cooldown is probably better - make it a 'if the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> hits the fan' sort of decision that makes you pull it out rather than just 'ooh loot time' repeatedly.
    DPS Rogue | Heal/Buff Cleric

• Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    People would find a way to abuse it, like everyone equipping a running/stealth/dodge toon to get to the boss quickly then switching to a DPS toon to win the loot.

which loot? :|
  • Options
    rayrdan wrote: »

which loot? :|

The only scenario I could think of is this: You really want the gear on character A, but they are undergeared or difficult to play, so you fight all the way through on character B, then switch back to claim your rewards.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    The perils of editing on a mobile.
    Post edited by freefroth on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Lol. Sorry i must have been playing a different game where people were abusing every aspect of it any way. I don't think I will lose any sleep over a few people exploiting. I'm not a policeman, I'm here to play games. I'm less concerned with how fast other people gear up than i am about having fun on my own journey. Also, there's no loot that is worth more than, say a scroll of life, if they chose to monetise it that way. To be honest, i think the game needs a few fun ideas right now to get it out of the mire. Being paralysed by catastrophising about (lets be honest, inevitable) exploitation will get us nowhere but where we are right now). Just an opinion. ..
  • Options
    dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Then what happens to people play less wanted classes as a main.For example my guild can run dungeons without needing a DC. Hell we run eCC with a group made up by 2 HR 2CW a GF. They wont even need a GF if those CWs and HRs get better with their gears .Instead they could take a GWF so they can burst through them faster.

I cant even imagine random groups.
    - Hey DC do you have a CW for bugging last boss?
    - No
    - Then bye bye.

Dont say it wont happen because I saw people get in random groups and leave the minute they enter because not every people in the group is above 2.5k+(and this was t1)

Edit:Last minute thought there is so many things could go with this plan with Cryptic's shabby planning and programming.For example:Cryptic forgets to implement the code forbid "calling" level 70 toons to low level pvps.Lol to sudden pvp farm:)
    Post edited by dsn1118 on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Again, your post mostly describes unwanted behavior *that is already occurring right now*. We need ideas that allow more flexibility and options. Predicting doom over any type of innovation is, frankly, cliche and not constructive. What happens to people who main (your term) less wanted classes? Well they get the option of having a more desirable class in their stable they can use for key points in the DD. If it's too much trouble for you to level one... well don't use that option and make some friends in game to run with that will accept your fugly class warts and all :)
  • Options
    daniloslvdaniloslv Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    I don't know about switching characters inside a dungeon, but one thing I would love to see is the ability to use your alts as companions. Maybe they could have a huge nerf, like only 30% stats while in companion mode.
    Leliana - Healer DC
    Leliana C.W. - Opressor CW
    Lelian O.P. - Bulwark Paladin
  • Options
    daniloslv wrote: »
    I don't know about switching characters inside a dungeon, but one thing I would love to see is the ability to use your alts as companions. Maybe they could have a huge nerf, like only 30% stats while in companion mode.

That's a cool idea. Increases the customisation options for your companion. If he could earn a % of the xp it might make levelling your alt army a bit less painful
  • Options
    freefroth wrote: »
    Predicting doom over any type of innovation is, frankly, cliche and not constructive.

No, not a cliché, just people disagreeing with you. If you can't handle other opinions, don't post on a forum.
    You idea is like entering a triathlon competition and wanting to use a different athlete for each discipline.
    You might as well suggest that all skills, feats, boons, equipment and racial/class bonuses are available to every toon.
    Jimmy your analogy is like using an orange to explain self awareness to an apple ;) Life is a rich tapestry, a variety of opinions makes for an interesting picture. Problem is, champ, the band wagon du jour is negativity and predicting the end of all things. This makes for a very boring tapestry. If you had actually tried to process my messages, rather than sharpening the forum warrior knives, you might have deduced that Op was about how things could be a bit more fun. Triathlons are fun. I've run a few. I always wished someone would do the swim for me. Messy business that.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    With the transition to a lot of the rewards being account-wide anyway, I don't see too much of a problem with being able to switch characters mid-instance. A sensible cooldown would be part of this, of course. Do you think some sort of "similar-role restriction" would be called for, as well, (like DPS-for-DPS or Tank-for-Tank)?