test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Aura of Courage

mattv980mattv980 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited July 2015 in The Citadel
With the class feature 'Aura of Courage' the upgrade says +10% damage per rank increase.

So at rank 3 it's the 1% HP ability plus +20% damage, what confused me is that other sources all say much smaller numbers that actually add to the buff, total at rank 3 is would be 1.5% from one source for example.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but is the damage calculated as below or otherwise? (according to in-game powers)

EXAMPLE: I have 46,000 HP and level 60.

Ability: 46,000 x 0.01= 460 bonus damage.

At Rank 3: 460 (from above) x 1.2 (20% bonus)= 552 total bonus damage.

OR... (calculations from other sources with same HP from above)

Ability at rank 3: 46,000 x 0.015 (1.5% increase)= 690 total bonus damage.

Thanks.

<Edited: Removal of ALL CAPS. ~Zeb>
...but today is not that day!
Post edited by zebular on

Comments

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    It would be 1% of your max HP multiplied by 20% so your first estimation is correct, but it can be influenced by other affects, I do believe, such as certain damage buffs (like the Justice capstone effect) as well as enemy resistances.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    No idea how it calculates.

Alone in Trade of Blades it procs for about 2264, as long as I wait long enough between attacks for all buffs and debuffs to fade. Which is about 1.88% of my HP. I have Aura of Courage at rank 4.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    maybe some buffs affect it, like power and armor pen ?
    Paladin Master Race
    I think they do. Then again, so many bugs and balancing still needs to happen with the paladin. I am just waiting for the nerf hammer to fall as it inevitably will with Justice builds.
    Buffs definitely affect it, I've had it proc for 6700ish in ToS boss fights. It also definitely gets affected by my Terror enchant.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • mattv980mattv980 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I think they do. Then again, so many bugs and balancing still needs to happen with the paladin. I am just waiting for the nerf hammer to fall as it inevitably will with Justice builds.

Yes I agree and the nerf is probably on it's way imo.

Thanks for your input everyone, just wanted some clarification.
    ...but today is not that day!
  • ashnnwashnnw Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    So the fix to the issue is to nerf the lowest damage class in the came by taking its defense away, so it cannot deal any significant damage nor can it tank any NPC's/Player, lol it will never happen people without a full rework of the class, and the Devs are not going to rework the class anytime soon.

Besides anymore nerf's, and it would waste the time and effort the Devs put into the class as it would make the class unplayable in pvp, or pve which then translates into a loss of profit for the company, which I am pretty sure they are not going to have.
    edited July 2015
    ashnnw wrote: »
    So the fix to the issue is to nerf the lowest damage class in the came by taking its defense away, so it cannot deal any significant damage nor can it tank any NPC's/Player, lol it will never happen people without a full rework of the class, and the Devs are not going to rework the class anytime soon.

Besides anymore nerf's, and it would waste the time and effort the Devs put into the class as it would make the class unplayable in pvp, or pve which then translates into a loss of profit for the company, which I am pretty sure they are not going to have.

Actually, some people have proven that paladins can be high damage, but the fact that Justice is the catch all be all of powers, is the problem. Do try to actually read what is written, if you don't think Justice is OP, considering majority of paladins gravitate towards it, then you are seriously ignoring the problems.

When one role is the best option for both devotion and tanking specs, there is a problem.
    the problem is that justice is the only tree that does some damage, ofc ppl will chose it, especially with increased hp on mobs, who wants to spend 2 hours just to kill a single mob in solo content

its like asking to nerf destroyer because about every damn gwf is running it, or trapper, or renegade
    Paladin Master Race
    burkaanc wrote: »
    the problem is that justice is the only tree that does some damage, ofc ppl will chose it, especially with increased hp on mobs, who wants to spend 2 hours just to kill a single mob in solo content

its like asking to nerf destroyer because about every damn gwf is running it, or trapper, or renegade

No, the problem is that Justice has all the best utilities for every role. You're trying to compare apples to oranges, and not paying attention to the facts of the matter. Compared to the other two trees, nothing comes close to Justice utility. And any rate, if you playing a paladin for DPS, you picked the wrong class.
    i play to tank, but still i have to do solo content and it takes ages on other trees.

and problem with bulwark is that its overkill in PvP(though i would suggest the tree for low ilvl paladins over Justice) and it still doesnt allow facetanking in PvE, while doing hit and run tanking Justice is enough and provides more dps. if i was only doing t2 then i would still probably run bulwark, but for PvP and Solo content pnegation and my gear provides enough tankiness while increasing kill potential
    Paladin Master Race
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    i play to tank, but still i have to do solo content and it takes ages on other trees.
    True: verifiable fact.
    and problem with bulwark is that [...] it still doesnt allow facetanking in PvE

Untrue. I face-tank all the time in PvE. It takes a bit of tactics, situational awareness, and a lot of moving around (hence Movement stat is important here) - but as stated above: it does take forever and this is the one and only deficit of the Bulwark tree. It's about play style - or as the boneheaded greater-than-thou types like to proclaim "L2P" bs.

As for the Justice branch of the tree: I use it on my other Paladin - it is considerably (read: massively) squishier. And as others have said: Justice branch is heavily desired not only for it's DPS but for the incredibly impressive utility that is there. A lot of "under the hood" behind the scenes buffs and debuffs and heals in there. It's amazing so much is in there; about half the Justice feats should have been (or at least appear more appropriate in) the other branches.

(Edit to fix autocorrupt spelling)

Untrue. I face-tank all the time in PvE. It takes a bit of tactics, situational awareness, and a lot of moving around (hence Movement stat is important here) - but as stated above: it does take forever and this is the one and only deficit of the Bulwark tree. It's about play style - or as the boneheaded greater-than-thou types like to proclaim "L2P" bs.

As for the Justice branch of the tree: I use it on my other Paladin - it is considerably (read: massively) squishier. And as others have said: Justice branch is heavily desired not only for it's DPS but for the incredibly impressive utility that is there. A lot of "under the hood" behind the scenes buffs and debuffs and heals in there. It's amazing so much is in there; about half the Justice feats should have been (or at least appear more appropriate in) the other branches.

that is not facetanking, facetanking is just standing in place and mashing keyboard with your face
    Paladin Master Race
    edited July 2015

that is not facetanking, facetanking is just standing in place and mashing keyboard with your face

I facetank regularly, the only things I don't really stand still for are the scorpions fire patches since those hurt, Lostmauth's breath since being pushed into lava isn't my deal, and Valindra's AP draining attack since we can't block it for some reason. If you mean facetank without having to block, well, that's your mistake.

Also, it doesn't take ages to kill things as bulwark. Maybe instead of picking the attack powers (aka smite, and avenger's) as your goto attack powers, you might find there are other powers that are way more useful for your damage while soloing.
    edited July 2015

I facetank regularly, the only things I don't really stand still for are the scorpions fire patches since those hurt, Lostmauth's breath since being pushed into lava isn't my deal, and Valindra's AP draining attack since we can't block it for some reason. If you mean facetank without having to block, well, that's your mistake.

Also, it doesn't take ages to kill things as bulwark. Maybe instead of picking the attack powers (aka smite, and avenger's) as your goto attack powers, you might find there are other powers that are way more useful for your damage while soloing.

Yeah, typical response from burkaanc - whose definition of "face tanking" is a bit off (though the younger crowd have different definitions for things than older players I suppose). Someone made aYouTube video showing a Protection OP pulling every single mob all the way up to the boss room (not including boss room obviously) in the Spire solo instance in Dread Ring. Then once at the top of the tower with something like 50 minions, brutes, elites and even a Rhimefire golem and few of sorcerers started hacking and whacking away at everything until the room was cleared out. To me: that is "face tanking" - not some childish definition as described by our frictional friend.

So I decided to try that. Now I do that all the time. it's a lot of fun. Justice-based Protection OP doing that? Let us say I'm not so sure; video or it never happens and I'll conclude it to be a near impossibility.
  • markxxxmarkxxx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    currently , i found this AURA courage is bugged, instead buff you. it will KILL YOU, and somehow also buff CW or GWF to kill you very fast like instant kill. check the other forum about this . so many paladin have this issue with this aura
    It isn't bugged, it's damage is being reflected by powers that reflect damage. Aura of Courage works fine. It's a use at your own risk type power in certain situations, like if a warlock uses soul pact, the aura will do damage to them since they are hurting themselves.
    Or the damage being applied to you because many buffs are set up to apply as 0 damage attacks.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • haden42eehaden42ee Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Yeah, typical response from burkaanc - whose definition of "face tanking" is a bit off (though the younger crowd have different definitions for things than older players I suppose). Someone made aYouTube video showing a Protection OP pulling every single mob all the way up to the boss room (not including boss room obviously) in the Spire solo instance in Dread Ring. Then once at the top of the tower with something like 50 minions, brutes, elites and even a Rhimefire golem and few of sorcerers started hacking and whacking away at everything until the room was cleared out. To me: that is "face tanking" - not some childish definition as described by our frictional friend.

So I decided to try that. Now I do that all the time. it's a lot of fun. Justice-based Protection OP doing that? Let us say I'm not so sure; video or it never happens and I'll conclude it to be a near impossibility.
    Believe me, it's just as easy with Justice+Light spec protection: https://youtu.be/2OlgcXARhsA

(BTW, Negation is not needed for that, I was doing the same thing before making it.)
  • jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited July 2015

I decided to give it a go on my Oathbound Paladin, too. Oath of Devotion using Justice feats. No negation, but granted, better geared than most. This shouldn't be seen as a 'neener-neener' vid, but just wanted to show you that it's possible.

Sadly, the HP bar is kind of hard to see, but you can see the top stripe of it, and I never, ever get into trouble. Heroism is a Devotion Paladin's friend. So much Temp HP and DR + CC immunity <3.

Click here! <---- LINK.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
  • shillaenshillaen Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    jaegernl wrote: »

I decided to give it a go on my Oathbound Paladin, too. Oath of Devotion using Justice feats. No negation, but granted, better geared than most. This shouldn't be seen as a 'neener-neener' vid, but just wanted to show you that it's possible.

Sadly, the HP bar is kind of hard to see, but you can see the top stripe of it, and I never, ever get into trouble. Heroism is a Devotion Paladin's friend. So much Temp HP and DR + CC immunity <3.

Click here! <---- LINK.

LOL.....
    wkwkkw..nice man...love it
    you pvp too? using this setup?
    jaegernl wrote: »

Click here! <---- LINK.

I don't take it as a 'neener neener' event. Seriously: thank you for doing it. I was not trying to be sarcastic when I said I wasn't sure it could be done, so thank you for giving it a go and showing that it can be done.

Congratulations on that! :)
  • jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Reason why is probably the quick resets on Burning Light and Relentless Avenger. They give me a lot of breathing room and heals (Burning Light). You can see it give me about 2.4k HP per 0.5sec somewhere in the video. And every fully charged Burning Light is 4 seconds of mobs not hitting you. Only downside to that is they all hit you at the same time once the effect has worn off.

Also, concerning 'Burning Light': Aura of Courage + Burning Light is one hell of a DPS option. It really speeds up your daily grind.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
    Don't leave home without Burning Light + Aura of Courage :) (There are a few boss fights and specific fights where its not the best choice, but the typical trash mobs its amazing for dealing with.)
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock