test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cant read page's

jiubiizeekkjiubiizeekk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 144 Arc User
edited June 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
I cannot read anything as soon as i glance at my screen i get a instant headache. Its bad enough when i goto a fast food joint and have to ask for a paper/some other form of what can be ordered.
People with astigmatism (aproximately 50% of the population) find it harder to read white text on black than black text on white. Part of this has to do with light levels: with a bright display (white background) the iris closes a bit more, decreasing the effect of the “deformed” lens; with a dark display (black background) the iris opens to receive more light and the deformation of the lens creates a much fuzzier focus at the eye.

needs to be changed.

Comments

• yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    instead of changing this and burn my and many others who read forums in dark rooms it would be nice instead to have option to select colour styles for the forums.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Selecting color options would be nice but unlikely.

Just to show individuality though, I hate white webpages as much as you hate black/dark gray.
    For instance here is what youtube looks like to me:

YoutubeDark_zpst27pjhrn.png

However I do agree the lighter gray could be a bit lighter like it used to be. I'll see if I can poke them to edit that.
    Example:
    LighterGrayForums_zpspx9yrznu.png
  • jiubiizeekkjiubiizeekk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    My rooms always bright..
    &
    Yeah, i didn't mind the grey it was a bit lighter, infact any "Other" color would do. And no Using BB code to change the font is not what i want to do. seen as it only changes mine.

Edit: i find highlighting the whole page in that horrible blue fixes the page so i can read.
  • mrgiggles65mrgiggles65 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Selecting color options would be nice but unlikely.
    I guess they don't care about the people that have problems reading the forums then. Like the original poster said, it's terribad now. It will make people not want to read the forums, and that makes them less likely to play the game, and ultimately, give Cryptic $.

• mungsumungsu Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    See this thread - forum-readability-upgrade-style. The Stylish plugin made a world of difference in making the forums readable for me. I modified the style that j0shi created to do black text on a white background. However, that edit is on my work computer. I'll post my mods on Monday.

If you want to see how really bad the forum design is, click the Vanilla link at the bottom of the page and see what can be done with Vanilla.

Here's what a Vanilla forum page can look like - vanillaforums.org/discussion/30014/beware-the-4-spacening-this-week-25-may
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Once you've got Stylish installed, you can also take a look at this post:VanillaForums + Stylish = Readable

I was working on it and found someones from STO forums and merged my changes with many of theirs.
    I've got a nice mellow teal/blue theme going on now. Looks kind of like this:
    41d74efdd0e43ccb2098024bf32c3a7b.png

• mungsumungsu Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I just went ahead and redid my mods for j0shi's style. I added the following to do black text on white and also to hid the signatures since the large animated gifs people are adding are kind of annoying.

Just edit the style and add the following to the bottom. Not real pretty, but about as much work as I want to do right now :)
    *, .ItemDiscussion, .Comment, .Activities > .Activity, .MessageList > li, .Item-Search, #Head, .Box, .OptionsTitle::before {
     background: #ffffff;
     color: #000000;
    }

.UserSignature {
        visibility: hidden;
        height: 0;
    }

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    Black Text on a white background. My eyes are bleeding at the thought alone.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited June 2015
  • jiubiizeekkjiubiizeekk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 144 Arc User
    eldarth wrote: »
    Once you've got Stylish installed, you can also take a look at this post:VanillaForums + Stylish = Readable

I was working on it and found someones from STO forums and merged my changes with many of theirs.
    I've got a nice mellow teal/blue theme going on now. Looks kind of like this:
    41d74efdd0e43ccb2098024bf32c3a7b.png
    Much much better Thanks so much. :)
    I would like an official fix in the future though.
    edited June 2015
    Haha. Good movie.

I have transition lenses so I actually don't get to wear my sunglasses at night but I probably would if I could. I actually have what is diagnosed as "night blindness" but it really is that I see perfectly fine at night and the majority of people don't so they use brighter lights than my eyes can handle. Driving at night in the rain actually turns everything in my FOV bright white from all the reflections.

With only the light of the full moon I can see the world as if I am living in an I Love Lucy episode. Turn on a flashlight or spotlight and I see nothing.

So yes I actively avoid white websites. They actually hurt my eyes to the point of making them water. After several minutes I do get used to it depending on ambient light but it only takes a second of looking away to cause my eyes to adjust back to lower light and cause pain when I look back.

All in all we're all different. These colors are perfect for me as is as far as main color schemes. I don't see any problem with the font. Nothing. However if the forums were white and black then the forums would be flooded with spam threads and Andy would have PM's that if printed out would go from NY to China with vulgar language not able to be posted because I hate white websites that much.

Options would be nice but they have this whole Arc Gray and White theme they switched to a year ago so options to set the colors are unlikely on the verge of no way. I preferred the original Neverwinter Orange Black and Brown theme as it both did not bother my eyes and fit the D&D rustic theme a lot better personally...
  • adisonmakadisonmak Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    god... it's like bunch of lasers pointing and piercing my eyes...

Testing other text color for default theme...

DimGrayBold - The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
    DimGray - The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

GainsboroBold - The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
    Gainsboro - The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

SilverBold - The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
    Silver - The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.