test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Power Replacement Items - Are They Useful?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Items and Crafting
Well then, if you have played the game for even a little bit, you would have come across these little items that are classified as "Power Replacements". My question is this, what in the world do these things do in the game? It says that they add effects to powers, though is the effect worth it over a different item that would increase your stats? At higher levels, the stat increases are pretty darn huge, and it begs the question of whether or not the sacrifice in stats is worth upgrading one/two powers to having a special effect.

So, this little topic is for all of you to discuss what you have found in this regard. Feel free to post ideas, advice, and maybe even a do's & don'ts of the wonderful world of Power Replacement items!

If the responses are good enough, perhaps I will update this topic post and add in some of the best posts as quotes up here :) Let this be your hub for all things Power Replacement!
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2009
    The ones that add special status effects are better then the ones that add damage procs.

Ive got to say that the Munitions replacers are quite a bit more detailed then the otheres ive found, and its not alwats easy to identify them.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Mm. Well, pretty much all the power replacement drops involve either single or dual swords, with the rest focusing on Necromancy or Sorcery beam powers.

Not really much involving Ice, Electricity, Munitions, or Gadgeteering.

Many of which aren't even replacements, just items that fit into your enhancement slots and act as simple abilities. Also, some of them tend to stretch past the screen limits.

Thus my question from before, are they useful over a stat boost enhancement item? If so, perhaps list a few of the good ones.

So far, effects are better than procs. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Even if some of them were useful, I honestly can't see a lot of the RP'ers and concept true-ist using them. Or, at least not until Cryptic holds true to their word and gives us the option to hide them. I HATE the way that all the single blade enhancers that I have found thus far look, so I don't use them. Truth is, SB is so overwhelming under powered, the damage proc would be a greatly welcomed change...if the looks didn't ruin my costume.

So please Cryptic, stop renegging on your word (as you have on several other issues) and let us hide our power replacers!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    90% of the drops for replacers are either Dual Sword, Single Blade or Munitions.

If nothing else they provide cool effects that will stay even after you unequip them. Some have cool additional effects. But you really have to test them out.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well, a few power replacements add the option to add that specific weapon design to your costume build (I.E. the Ice Rifle looks pretty cool). I like that aspect, though I'm wondering if the added weapon effects are better than the stat boost enhancements as well.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Bump :)

Just wondering if anyone has found useful ones yet, and perhaps share their experiences with the Power Replacements.

So far they are really only useful to gain new costume pieces.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Jayce1986 wrote:
    Even if some of them were useful, I honestly can't see a lot of the RP'ers and concept true-ist using them. Or, at least not until Cryptic holds true to their word and gives us the option to hide them. I HATE the way that all the single blade enhancers that I have found thus far look, so I don't use them. Truth is, SB is so overwhelming under powered, the damage proc would be a greatly welcomed change...if the looks didn't ruin my costume.

So please Cryptic, stop renegging on your word (as you have on several other issues) and let us hide our power replacers!

We're not renegging on our word. The entire point of the power replaces is that they are items to use when you want to alter the look of your power.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yup, I use them strictly as a costume unlock. Certain ones unlock certian costume pieces which I may or may not use but atleast I have it.

One thing I would like to ask, is if you guys could implement it so our alts can use our unlocks from power replacers when designing our char. instead of having to re-equip them all char after char after char.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I use my crafted power replacers on my Claw character.

Ohm Knives has a proc that really kicks @ss when it hits, let alone when it hits and Crits since I am Dex/End, I love it.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I find the crafted power replacers to be more useful than the dropped ones. Most powers are at least minimally represented in the crafted areas somewhere.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ravare wrote:
    I use my crafted power replacers on my Claw character.

Ohm Knives has a proc that really kicks @ss when it hits, let alone when it hits and Crits since I am Dex/End, I love it.

Really? Which power does that replace, or alter? Does it affect all claw attacks? Or just specifics?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    K7Sniper wrote:
    Really? Which power does that replace, or alter? Does it affect all claw attacks? Or just specifics?

it effects all the claw attacks... that use claws. I personally only use them to unlock the costumes then toss them. IMO they are not strong enough to warrant full time usage. extra costumes are sweet, adding a minor tick of dmg isn't. On the other hand, if it is a mez proc, that would be useful.

(dang... i need an avatar if i am going to start posting)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I used the crafted sonic pistol replace for quite a while; partly because they looked cool, but they also had a 25% chance of stunning the target, which was pretty useful, though they did less overall damage than the regular pistols. I was about to use crafted alien blasters that do a whole lot more damage than regular pistols, but the servers went down and i'm stuck on patching
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    lawine wrote:
    I used the crafted sonic pistol replace for quite a while; partly because they looked cool, but they also had a 25% chance of stunning the target, which was pretty useful, though they did less overall damage than the regular pistols.

Would you happen to remember the name of the sonic pistol item?

I've gotten a lot of them for my characters but have found zero effects worth trading 10+ of a stat for a 6.5% chance at a proc (mainly because all of the usable ones I've found haven't had useful effects).

Also Antiproton, if you get a second, you might want to look at the various Bow power replacers. The bows actually clip horribly, at least on female characters (while holding the bow, the bowstring seems to cut right through the center of mass of the body). One that comes to mind is the bow with the Darkness effect, crafted by Science - Daikyu of the Darklands.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Remianen - Bug it ingame. That would probably be outside Antiprotons sphere of responsibility anyway.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So the power replacer adds a costume unlock, but do you have to keep the replacer in the slot to keep the costume part unlocked, or can you remove it / sell it / break it up for crafting and have the costume part remain unlocked?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Is the way it is supposed to work that once you get it in your inventory, you go to a tailor and it's there? i have one for my archer, and I can't see where to put it "on" my dude.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    aechy wrote:
    Is the way it is supposed to work that once you get it in your inventory, you go to a tailor and it's there? i have one for my archer, and I can't see where to put it "on" my dude.

There are two sections in the tailoring. There is one that looks like a chest or box, very right hand tab, and one two to the left that looks like a gun and knife. The chest lets you set the overall graffic look for your default weapon. The Knife and gun lets you change the per power look. Give it a try.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    SavageSage wrote:
    The chest lets you set the overall graffic look for your default weapon.
    The box/chest is where you find any costume option that has been unlocked.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    DeadlyShoe wrote:
    Remianen - Bug it ingame. That would probably be outside Antiprotons sphere of responsibility anyway.

Yup, the art team would need to look at the clipping issue, so definitely bug it. With the player control over the models I think clipping is something we just have to accept, but if they can tweak it to be better they'll add it into their giant list of things to do. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Although, I do like the Quillar Energy pistol my character Girl Next Door picked up in a random drop in the tutorial. Level 11 and still using it. Nice effects, enrages me (which fits the character perfect) and causes random effects on the target (and occasionally targets as it sometimes has a radius damage burst pop up too), does some massive damage on Two Gun Mojo, more than my base does.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    DeadlyShoe wrote:

Already did. Figured I'd cover the bases.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Heh indeed. So far, all power replaces I've "used" are just for costume unlocks.

Unfortunately, you can't see the design until you actually purchase the costume change with that active, rather than in the Tailor menu.

That might be a nice future addition; Power Replace Preview. Kinda like a changing room for powers. You can see what looks good before you have to pay for it.

Overall, te only useful Power Replace abilities are those that mez, knockback, or stun. Even then, it is limited because you sacrifice the potential stat gain of stat-only enhancements.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Anyone know if there are anything that adds to the Might set? I have seen some martial arts ones that add, say, the famous flaming foot kick, but nothing that helps pure might.

Not that I necessarily want a flaming fist when I punch someone, but I'm curious as to what's out there.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Xacius wrote:
    Yup, I use them strictly as a costume unlock. Certain ones unlock certian costume pieces which I may or may not use but atleast I have it.

One thing I would like to ask, is if you guys could implement it so our alts can use our unlocks from power replacers when designing our char. instead of having to re-equip them all char after char after char.

THIS please!

I understand you want a little bit of item grinding and economy, but I prefer the idea of costume unlocks applying to your account, not a single character. Part of the idea to me is unlocking new costume stuff to jar your imagination and make a cool new character.

That doesn't really work if for example I find this really cool steampunk rifle at level 22, and think cool, thats fits my old character concept from pen and paper days. I can't make that character, I have to make a generic character, and grind to level 22, then find that item, them finally make my concept work.

Hope that made sense, feel free to correct me if I am wrong on how it all works.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So I got Ohm Knives for claws, but I can't seem to trigger it on the Dummies in the powerhouse? its supposed to trigger 6.5% of the time.. it also says Currently Enhancing: Nothing when I hover over it? I'm using the claws energy builder and viper fang to test it, but still doesn't seem to trigger?

Do i need to actually change it in the tailor? The only option I saw was energy claws. Is that it?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    i haven't seen a single fire or ice power replace yet...which royally sucks. Also (with crafting at least) every single one of the crafting trees has about 50% munitions replace powers. Personally i would rather see an equal amount for everyone and (if possible) to stack with levels so you don't loose that cool looking blade because its damage boost was lower than the ugly looking one.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Does anyone know if the Dual Blade replacers unlock the sword costume piece for Single Blade users too?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ok so apparently the power replacer items only work for certain powers. So, anyone know which powers does Evocarti's Fire Blades (for dual blades) affect?

EDIT: These powers are affected: enhancing rain of steel, eye of the storm, sword cyclone and tempest. Its the green text where it says "Currently enhancing"
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Greyhawke wrote:
    So the power replacer adds a costume unlock, but do you have to keep the replacer in the slot to keep the costume part unlocked, or can you remove it / sell it / break it up for crafting and have the costume part remain unlocked?

I'm not sure if it's intended, but I kept the costume part... I sold my Flintlock Pistol replacer and the Flintlock pistols are still an option at the tailor.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Stuck wrote:
    I'm not sure if it's intended, but I kept the costume part... I sold my Flintlock Pistol replacer and the Flintlock pistols are still an option at the tailor.

No, it's intended. This way you can keep models that you like, but you aren't stuck with the stats!

I'm 24, and still using my Qularr pistols for one of my costumes.