test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scoundrel jacket...fixed?

2»

Comments

• xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    About half a head shorter... roughly 5-6 inches.
  • williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    About half a head shorter... roughly 5-6 inches.

The coat was down to the ankles in-game, not where the costume creator screenshot is showing it.
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It doesn't take some special degree of intelligence when testing fixes to realize "hey, this thing just got three feet shorter." That's not a case of miscommunication, it's a case of not taking pride in one's work. I can't see how someone could be tasked with eliminating the stretching bug and NOT get a look at the idle positions before and after the change. If some method were used that did indeed preclude seeing the coat before setting up a fix... I guess that gets the one who fixed it off the hook, but it opens a whole new can of worms as to how much they're trying to rush the process in general, which brings about shoddy and ineffective results.

Three feet shorter sounds like hyperbole, and makes the argument sound less credible. Again though, please remember I'm on the side of this thing not looking great so short, and I want it longer. That said, though, I'm just going by the previously-posted screenshots.

As far as saying it's not a case of miscommunication and just being not taking pride in ones work, these are assumptions. At the end of the day, it could be the publisher that said "Stop working on this stuff on Thursday and start working on the next thing." That happens. Deadlines. I personally have turned in less-than-amazing work because of deadlines before. I'm not saying that this is the case here, because I don't know the facts. But there are so many factors that can play into a situation like this, and just sitting back and blurting out accusations is clumsy and only serves to make this a volatile situation that some people (the developers) might not want to touch again. Again, this is just speculation on my side, but "Please make the coat longer!" reads a lot better than "You people are pulling a scam!" and will likely get you better results. I understand you're now unsatisfied with the product, as am I, even though I don't own it yet, but try to be realistic and understanding.
    And what did my post say? It said we're on our way to such a scam. Not that we're there. That "selling a coat that looks the same" thing is exactly what I'm warning against, I'm not saying that is absolutely what's happening.

Well, to be perfectly literal, you called it a ploy, and also suggested that it's "coming close to" being a deliberate scam.

You don't accidentally "bait and switch." If you did it accidentally, it wasn't a bait and switch scam. The situation would be that you genuinely ran out of a cheap product and could only offer a more expensive product as a result. None of that applies to this situation.

So you called it a ploy, which is a scheme to swindle something out of someone, and you suggested it was coming close to a scam that doesn't even halfway apply to this situation.
    Many people have already bought the coat. I'm not sure how many people have been waiting to. So at this stage, the change would be to appease those who have already spent their money. Player retention is prominent if it actually crosses their minds, but failing that, what incentive is there for them to elongate the coat again versus making a new one for the extra burst of revenue? That's why this has me worried.

Well, if you take me for example, I'm less likely to buy it now that it's so short. So put me in a vacuum, and your argument there is invalid. But, I don't know how many people are like me, how many are upset, and how many are okay with it, and how many are okay with it and still just as likely to buy it.

So, at least for me, personally, you surmised the situation incorrectly in the paragraph above.
    (Also. "(because perhaps, a slightly shorter coat wasn't a dealbreaker to them)" It's not slightly shorter. Don't downplay this. Unless you mean "slight" in relation to the UNTIL Headquarters. Whether you're in favor of a longer coat or not, statements like that make it sound like dissenters of the change are all taking a microscope to the thing.)

I'm looking at it, right now, on the dummy on live, and the coat cuts off at the bottom of the knee. Unless the coat was dragging on the floor before (as you said, it was three feet shorter), or you have three-foot-long shins (I'm 6'3" in real life, and measuring from the floor to the bottom of my knee, the length is 18 inches), then ask yourself if I'm downplaying this, or if your argument started off with hyperbole?
    biffsig.jpg
  • xparibaxxparibax Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    longcoat1smoky.jpg

It is a considerable length difference. Heres a pic of three of us at a recent costume contest. I loved that coat. That was the main reason I bought the set - though the boots and gloves and the shirt are also really useful- but now, i do not love that coat.
    Hope the pic helps. :)

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    xparibax wrote: »

It is a considerable length difference. Heres a pic of three of us at a recent costume contest. I loved that coat. That was the main reason I bought the set - though the boots and gloves and the shirt are also really useful- but now, i do not love that coat.
    Hope the pic helps. :)

I feel ya, I like it much, much better.
    biffsig.jpg
  • williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Numerous posts

...I've been acting like an *******, I realize.

To be fair, my faith is still shot and I don't see this issue getting fixed short of a new costume pack or something, but I didn't need to keep dragging it out.
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    "Bait and switch" also doesn't apply because, as I noted earlier, this coat - this entire costume set - was not sold to you. Had it been, your dissatisfaction could probably be settled with a partial refund of your Zen. ("Partial" because apparently this is the only part of the costume set that causes you any tsuris.)

However, this is a lockbox reward. (Parenthetically, I'll admit I've dropped some globals in the AH to buy keys, and while I've picked up some interesting and useful items (mostly the XP and crafting boosts), I haven't gotten the costume set.) (Nor the item I was really wanting, that new Star Fury- er, I mean Tigris Interceptor.) The coat might or might not have been misrepresented, but that's hardly the same as "bait and switch", and it's quite a lot less unethical.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I used the old coat, despite the stretchiness, which was annoying. I didn't use acrobatics, so it wasn't the worst.

Now, the coat simply doesn't look good to me at all. If the current coat appearance was in the original release, I would have sold the costume set in the AH.

More to the point, it still stretches anyway.

Considering the recent price increase, and the proclamations about quality/usefulness going along with it, mistakes like this look really bad.

Yes, I know it was a lockbox costume set. That isn't the problem for me.

This episode undermines my confidence in the costume development and marketing process overall.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    How this model differs from rest of the long coats? They don't stretch. It hangs like a cape?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • iflyte1iflyte1 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Regardless of any correct terminology to define this bad business practice it is still a bad business practice.

A product was advertized in a state that was known to be buggy only to the creators. Was then sold without any mention of the bug or how it would be fixed for three weeks. During those three weeks a group of players then started complaining about the tail of the coat stretching.

While I'll have to make an assumption here I'm going to guess those players just wanted the coat to be fixed but still keep the same look as advertized to them. There was still no mention of the known bug by the creators and how it connected to this stretching problem so the players had no reason to think otherwise.

Finally, the coat was fixed and left in a state that doesn't look as advertized. Surprisingly: The players that liked and more then likely bought an item that they presumed would look as advertized to them on an in game character model were mad.

Also, changing the length of a trench coat changes the look and perception of it all together. It would be akin to cutting the sleeves off a long sleeve shirt to just below the elbows. It completely changes how you perceive the shirt or whether or not you would personally wear it.

It also doesn't help that this came from a lockbox. Which have pretty much been the premier method of new content for awhile now. I would then expect items obtained through lockboxes to be of the highest of quality that Cryptic can produce. Flaws like this coat tail and the other jackets leather and metal textures leaves me scratching my head though.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ahhh pretend virtual coats. The worlds ultimate evil.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • iflyte1iflyte1 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    nepht wrote: »

Eh I don't know about that, but then again I don't superscribe to the notion that purchases of a completely virtual nature made with an individuals real world money are any less important then real world purchases. I suppose that all depends on your point of view and whether or not you consider there to be any difference between a real and virtual world. On the bases of an individuals time and money ofcourse.

What I'm trying to say is I don't think making one liner flamebait posts really helps the situation any.
    edited March 2015

Point taken, of course.

Still, if I spend a few bucks on coffee and a bagel, I expect a pretty good coffee and a bagel. If what I get isn't satisfying, or falsely advertised, I'm not going back to that coffee shop.

Likewise, it isn't a great tragedy if something I spent a few bucks on (cosmic keys) or even 10 bucks on (the new top-end costume) doesn't work that well. I might spend that much on seeing a movie I didn't much enjoy. But the experience is going to color my view of future work put out by CO, which means spending less money.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    iflyte1 wrote: »
    Eh I don't know about that, but then again I don't superscribe to the notion that purchases of a completely virtual nature made with an individuals real world money are any less important then real world purchases. I suppose that all depends on your point of view and whether or not you consider there to be any difference between a real and virtual world. On the bases of an individuals time and money ofcourse.

What I'm trying to say is I don't think making one liner flamebait posts really helps the situation any.

Sure. It's when there is "outrage" attached that it becomes ridiculous. It'd be like someone charging back into McDonalds with their #2 meal and screaming up the place because the cashier forgot to put in ketchup packets.

People have a right to be disappointed when something is below expected quality. They have a right to point it out. Once the name-calling and "outrage" starts though... first world problems... whiny entitled babies... etc.
  • solardynamosolardynamo Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    As long as the stretchy gets fixed (the worst part of the coat for me) the length is a pretty non-issue. I liked the long and I like the short.

It puts me on the fence.

There...that's my opinion and would be nice if others simply gave their opinion of what they would like and left the name-calling out.

What I find the worst in this entire exchange is that rather than realize things can happen in life and give some benefit of the doubt, people have called the Devs every sort of name from cheap, lazy cash grabbers to lying *******s and everything else under the sun.

That behavior I find worse then any supposed "crime" perpetrated on the player base.

For others like JonSills, Biff, or Spinnytop (and I'm sure some others I missed) thank you for your decorum. It is appreciated whether you know it or not.
    inS6EEjxY0bBVXuqyVWD1NidpgxpduJXW5_YMzhL0zc?size=1280x960&size_mode=2
  • bazodeebazodee Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hmm. I was waiting on the fix of the stretchy ends to go chasing my lockbox, I guess I'll have to let this one slide just like the scientist, unless I see it on AH for a low price (for the boots).

However, I'm also totally fine when someone else likes it, I'm not pointing fingers and accusing them of throwing money away at substandard stuff.

I can appreciate both sides of the argument, but what I find quite disappointing about this thread (and others like it) is the constant putdowns to those who criticize what they perceive to be questionable quality.

The fix was to address the stretch, yes? I can't remember reading a post stating that a fix to make it shorter was on the way.

Now that it "appears" to have been the fixed at the expense of its length, yep, folks are going to complain. You know, hu-mans. We do that. It wasn't what we expected so we speak up, some in a nice way, others not so much.

I wonder if we'll ever get a winner in this impasse? The people who feel they have a right to challenge low quality products or those who feel that unless the world is collapsing around us, we should just go with the flow.

*runs away now, trying not to pull hair out cause of the hu-mans* :eek:
    I don't like Sigs, but I'll leave this here anyway. At least I'm not to trying to hypnotise you with moving things!
    edited March 2015
    bazodee wrote: »

Now that it "appears" to have been the fixed at the expense of its length, yep, folks are going to complain. You know, hu-mans. We do that. It wasn't what we expected so we speak up, some in a nice way, others not so much.

The short jacket still stretches in that same way, just shorter.

• xparibaxxparibax Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    *Nonds* That seems to be why people are mad. They liked the long coat. It streched wierd. So the fix is to make the coat shorter [apperently] but... its still glitchy in the same strechy way.
    The conclusion is: it isn't fixed, it's just... shorter now.

So yes, it is understandable people are a bit cheesed. Is it the end of the world? No. But it's still anoying to the people that bought the coat because it was long, swooshy and awesome.

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yeah. After you say it enough times, even in the correct context, it sounds like it loses its meaning.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Though I understand the slight miffedness people are showing ( you pay for something it should be what you paid for ) the real way for all these issues to be fixed is for PW to try and cash in on the boosted interest superhero stuff has acquired due to the Batman and Ironman movies.

Most gamers dont even know CO is a thing. Now I hear ya say wtf has all this gob****e got to do with a busted coat. WELL HARKEN B*****S ! you might learn summing. If PW actually advertised this game in the right websites ( like comic vine for example ) then they might have more players and have more cash to hire more staff to fix all the bloody bugs in this game :/

The busted coat is just one of many symptoms of mismanagement of this game.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited March 2015
    Though I understand the slight miffedness people are showing ( you pay for something it should be what you paid for ) the real way for all these issues to be fixed is for PW to try and cash in on the boosted interest superhero stuff has acquired due to the Batman and Ironman movies.

Most gamers dont even know CO is a thing. Now I hear ya say wtf has all this gob****e got to do with a busted coat. WELL HARKEN B*****S ! you might learn summing. If PW actually advertised this game in the right websites ( like comic vine for example ) then they might have more players and have more cash to hire more staff to fix all the bloody bugs in this game :/

So you're saying that we should...?
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Edit all wiki's that mention superheroes and point them towards CO?
    edited March 2015

Ta-dah!

[10 character minimum]

edited March 2015
  • voyagersixvoyagersix Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This thread is serious business. I don't think anyone's actually said it, but what if the team isn't omniscient and they don't know how to code what you're all asking for?
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    voyagersix wrote: »
    This thread is serious business. I don't think anyone's actually said it, but what if the team isn't omniscient and they don't know how to code what you're all asking for?

In few words, correct.
    edited March 2015

Then we'll just call them greedy incompetent and hateful until our combined hate energy causes the knowledge and ability to magically conjure itself into their minds! \( o w o )/
  • voyagersixvoyagersix Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Then we'll just call them greedy incompetent and hateful until our combined hate energy causes the knowledge and ability to magically conjure itself into their minds! \( o w o )/

tuHSSKF.gif
    edited March 2015
    tuHSSKF.gif

We were promised a "rainbow attack" power...just now... in your post... so where is it? u3u
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    when you cross this:
    6jeteh.jpg

With this:
    2qd29oj.jpg

You end up with this...
    120pmqt.jpg
  • ectooneectoone Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    when you cross this:
    6jeteh.jpg

With this:
    2qd29oj.jpg

You end up with this...
    120pmqt.jpg

Why not just have both? Add a tab to choose either the long or short version of the coat?