test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Maintenance 2/19

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited February 2015 in Super News Network
Maintenance this week will be mostly just a restart -- this will be the end of the Flashback Event, but there won't be any content changes.

This will, however, be a little bigger of a maintenance than usual. We're going to be having an account server maintenance, which means we'll be starting earlier and possibly running late.

Start: 6am PST
Estimated duration: 2.5 - 3.5 hours
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This will, however, be a little bigger of a maintenance than usual. We're going to be having an account server maintenance, which means we'll be starting earlier and possibly running late.

Start: 6am PST
    Estimated duration: 2.5 - 3.5 hours

Hopefully this means the server will be less bipolar when it comes to keeping us connected. :biggrin:
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Had a speck on my lenses, and for a moment I could have sworn that said maintenance would run "2.5 - 35 hours..." :eek:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What's a day and a half, more or less. :tongue:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,116 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well I guess it has started

Yet no Purple Message ingame to say how many minutes were left
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    While the maintenance caught me a little off-guard as well, it's quite understandable.

It's starting earlier than usual, to take care of something important, so the normally scheduled countdown didn't apply. No biggie.

Mostly, I'm just glad the Server Not Responding issue is being addressed. Fingers crossed.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • lastmaxstandinglastmaxstanding Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    While the maintenance caught me a little off-guard as well, it's quite understandable.

It's starting earlier than usual, to take care of something important, so the normally scheduled countdown didn't apply. No biggie.

Mostly, I'm just glad the Server Not Responding issue is being addressed. Fingers crossed.

Understandable says you. Do you people expect me to actually pay attention to work during work hours? The horror, the horror. I need my fix.

/end obligatory complaint about downtime.
  • warrcuttwarrcutt Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ^^^^ Thats only funny because it's true.
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited February 2015
    Sorry about the lack of a countdown. My guess is that the change in procedure, with the account server maintenance, threw them off their game.

We hit some network issues in all this, and while they're pretty much resolved, we haven't stsrted the normal maintenance procedure yet - still waiting on the server to finish rebooting and the account server portion to end. Stay tuned, we'll be running a bit long.
    edited February 2015
    Looking like 11:30 overall; we usually finish earlier than STO, so maaaybe 10:45 - 11.
  • lastmaxstandinglastmaxstanding Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Darn you people who live in the future past. It's 11:44 for me already. Now whatever will I do for my lunch break? I suppose I could do the work I've been avoiding, but that seems like a terrible precedent to set.
  • andromeda9899andromeda9899 Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I encounter this problem when patching. It says : No shard is available to your account at this time. Is it because of maintenance?
  • kyrtmalthornkyrtmalthorn Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well if the physical server is shutdown for maintenance, we wouldn't be able to download a patch from it.
  • circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,955 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Delayed Maintenance is delayed
    Psi.
  • glortorglortor Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    cryneting wrote: »
    Delayed Maintenance is delayed

Delayedly so.
    edited February 2015
    glortor wrote: »
    Delayedly so.

Such Delay Much Unhappy
    Psi.
    edited February 2015
    For apparently just ending a loxbox drop event, they sure are taking half a day. With how long this takes, I wonder how long it would take them to make cutscenes skippable. Guessing around 3-4 weeks and then it would bug something else.
    edited February 2015
    For apparently just ending a loxbox drop event, they sure are taking half a day. With how long this takes, I wonder how long it would take them to make cutscenes skippable. Guessing around 3-4 weeks and then it would bug something else.

That lone, making the hideout rooms fianily made, they call this quality of the year updates?

Wheres the hideout rooms? huh
    Psi.
  • geistlingergeistlinger Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    At least some (if not all) cut-scenes are skippable. Just press the space bar. I know at the very least the Defender one after the tutorial, and the one where Griz is telling you about Multifaria are.
    edited February 2015

Think of it as downloading a Windows update taking forever because your connection is slow that day: There's not any more content, just logistical issues prolonging it.

No update yet. May go later than 10:45.
    edited February 2015
    Think of it as downloading a Windows update taking forever because your connection is slow that day: There's not any more content, just logistical issues prolonging it.

guess that makes sense, but all in all why is the hideout rooms, not even been done yet?, because I want to kown the truth behind it, you can make bug fixes, lockboxs and new costumes and such easily, but what about this?

The only reason why I ask this is due to "Year of Quality", this is getting such an issue that I'm slowly thinking on filing an complaint at PW. So please answer that, hell I whuold even sign up for a game tester just for you to start building them
    Psi.
  • soupcupchampionsoupcupchampion Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well if this stops the server from giving everyone the boot periodically I was guessing that this was gonna take 8 hours. It involves going over code and finding the instances each event occurred and seeing what they all had in common. then applying a fix running it seeing if it works, and in the long run may have to do it all over again. Not a programmer I just see it happening that way. I will be happy if its up at 12:46 my time. (CT) Otherwise just might go and log some time in some other games.
    edited February 2015
    To clarify: Today's issues and changes probably aren't related to any network connectivity that's been happening player-facing. Not sure, but I believe that's the case.

Netwotk issues resolved, regular maintenance stuff is b occurring
    edited February 2015

At least you're doing your job. Respect. I really wonder about your network admin over there. And the dev team. Don't answer, I'm not provoking just sour. Game could be twice popular with just a little dev effort instead of half-cheek scientist costumes.
  • solardynamosolardynamo Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'd have to say please don't change whatever recent fix went in.

For the last few months at the tailor or my shared hideout bank have been s-l-o-w with lag every time I use them and suddenly for this last week they have been completely fine.

I hope that stays fixed. :smile:
    inS6EEjxY0bBVXuqyVWD1NidpgxpduJXW5_YMzhL0zc?size=1280x960&size_mode=2
  • bellatorrexbellatorrex Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    cryneting wrote: »
    guess that makes sense, but all in all why is the hideout rooms, not even been done yet?, because I want to kown the truth behind it, you can make bug fixes, lockboxs and new costumes and such easily, but what about this?

The only reason why I ask this is due to "Year of Quality", this is getting such an issue that I'm slowly thinking on filing an complaint at PW. So please answer that, hell I whuold even sign up for a game tester just for you to start building them

Alright, getting tired of seeing about the hideout rooms. I believe it was explained in another post in a different topic in the past but from what I gather, after On Alert and how you can now just handle your powers and such on the fly, there was no need for those rooms. That plus God only knows how much bs they'd have to go through just to add some rooms to data that is buried under all of the past dev teams' messes and bugs. Not trying to be mean but, at this point of the game's life there is no need for the extra hideout rooms. Would they be nice to have? Yes, but are they really needed with how stuff is set-up now? Not really. Now a change for hideouts I really wouldn't mind seeing is if tailoring at the hideout when it came to editing outfits didn't cost money to do it... it's your hideout, you shouldn't be taxed to use it.

I do also believe people should be overall patient with the staff on this maintenance deal. I mean I think we all know by now how old, buggy, and fickle CO's overall system can be.
    I think we all know by now how old, buggy, and fickle CO's overall system can be.

I have never seen the code.
    edited February 2015
    It is known. It is known. :smile:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • bellatorrexbellatorrex Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    More of a figure of speech glortor. i mean I haven't been on all the years champs has been around, but I have been around since 2011/12 and I've seen enough to know how messed up the system can be especially since many bugs were left without being squashed and some were just band-aided to soon after just have the band-aid ripped right off easily. Part of this issue now for Cryptic North and any future dev team would be to have to dig through all the mess of the previous dev teams before CN that never got cleaned up. And to just give my own minor and pointless opinion about the two new costume sets coming out soon, I do feel a lot of the issue stems from having to have products out at a certain date regardless of how much the devs would like to fix them proper and then getting a new assignment to work on from their own bosses... i'm just guessing here.
    bugs were left without being squashed and some were just band-aided to soon after just have the band-aid ripped right off easily.
    If your band aid comes off, just nail it back on >.>
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If your band aid comes off, just nail it back on >.>

I sure hope you are a carpenter and not a doctor.
    edited February 2015
    Still going. We're having issues with global chat now, but that should be the only thing remaining.
    edited February 2015
    I have never seen the code.
    Glortor, a while back there was an issue with rubberbanding to truly ludicrous levels across the Desert - to the point that you could take off flying from Stronghold, be *thisclose* to landing at Greenskin, and suddenly find yourself standing outside the gates of Stronghold again. It was fixed, after a while; for some reason, it was fixed by removing the roving bands of coyotes that used to hang around Burning Sands. This was very strange, because we didn't even interact with them.

Then there was the introduction of vehicles, in the first Nighthawk event; for reasons that still aren't entirely clear, this caused the entire global chat server to crash, and to stay down for more than two weeks as the techs struggled frantically to repair it. People started using /killme and spelling messages out on the sidewalks with their bodies in order to communicate with one another.

You want to see how this code is organized? Open a can of Chef Boyardee spaghetti, and ignore the mini-meatballs.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• khorbahnkhorbahn Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Glortor, a while back there was an issue with rubberbanding to truly ludicrous levels across the Desert - to the point that you could take off flying from Stronghold, be *thisclose* to landing at Greenskin, and suddenly find yourself standing outside the gates of Stronghold again. It was fixed, after a while; for some reason, it was fixed by removing the roving bands of coyotes that used to hang around Burning Sands. This was very strange, because we didn't even interact with them.

Then there was the introduction of vehicles, in the first Nighthawk event; for reasons that still aren't entirely clear, this caused the entire global chat server to crash, and to stay down for more than two weeks as the techs struggled frantically to repair it. People started using /killme and spelling messages out on the sidewalks with their bodies in order to communicate with one another.

You want to see how this code is organized? Open a can of Chef Boyardee spaghetti, and ignore the mini-meatballs.

Agreed. I rubberbanded in the low level and scared myself LOL.

I have 2 Hornets - ima big Bumblebee wishing the Server would go green.
    edited February 2015
    Oh, my! A new Scientist costume set? I hadn't heard about that. Way to hit my "must have" button!
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Also, don't forget how dieing and then using a lot of emotes would crash the whole server disconnecting everyone in an instance.
    edited February 2015
    Also, don't forget how dieing and then using a lot of emotes would crash the whole server disconnecting everyone in an instance.
    Yeah, that was one weird exploit. And then the folks doing it on purpose got mad when they got temp-banned for it...

edited February 2015
    So, THAT'S what that was. The whole thing was kept so quiet and ambiguous on the boards, I always wondered exactly what they were doing.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited February 2015
    woooooooooooow....... now thats a crazy exploit
  • highrealityhighreality Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's back, everyone !

(°∇° ) #megalodon2015
    edited February 2015
    It's back, everyone !

YEAHMAN! play!!
  • highrealityhighreality Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Play, yeah, cause apparently we're not allowed to talk u-u

(°∇° ) #megalodon2015
    edited February 2015
    Maintenance is complete, but it's going to be a few hours before chat is back up. We decided that, in the absence of a clear ETA, it'd be better for everyone to have the servers open even without chat.

Forum thread: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=4640091
  • mysticman245mysticman245 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't know if this is part of the "maintenance" but my friends on my friends list aren't showing up:confused: . Why is this happening or is it part of the "maintenance?
  • razieldragon0razieldragon0 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Still going. We're having issues with global chat now, but that should be the only thing remaining.

If your having trouble with fixing something:

Having trouble with something? Check the support page, especially the FAQ for account linking. If you're still having trouble, I recommend sending a ticket in to Support.

Play Champions Online: Free for All, the free-to-play superhero MMORPG with total character customization! Download and register for free here.

lol : P
    edited February 2015
    That was cold. Funny, but cold. :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited February 2015
    I don't know if this is part of the "maintenance" but my friends on my friends list aren't showing up:confused: . Why is this happening or is it part of the "maintenance?

My /guess/ is that this is related to the chat server outage. Dunno for sure, though.
    edited February 2015
    So we can play, but Mill City won't be filled with racism, sexism, religious bigotry of all stripes, and Grond jokes.

So basically there's no downside here.

• animalgirl95animalgirl95 Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So we can play, but Mill City won't be filled with racism, sexism, religious bigotry of all stripes, and Grond jokes.

So basically there's no downside here.

Oh, but SG names can be changed as often as you like (It seems that way) so there's still plenty of space for personal expression :tongue:

(Still much better than not being able to play at all, I just wish Defender was affected by this bug too :( )
    edited February 2015
    Chat issues are pretty much resolved. For the moment, the blacklist isn't working, and the voice chat (Vivox) is still a work in progress; we'll let you know when those are fixed as well.
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    To clarify: Today's issues and changes probably aren't related to any network connectivity that's been happening player-facing. Not sure, but I believe that's the case.

Netwotk issues resolved, regular maintenance stuff is b occurring

Thanks for the clarification, I thought the account server issues might be related to network connectivity.

That said, I'm not sure if you're already aware, the player-facing connectivity issues have been a thing lately. Although it may not be caused by your end, it might be something you should look at just to be sure.

We've already got a nickname for it, "Server Burn", as it's so prevalent. It's very disruptive and while so far we've always been able to reconnect, many of us are curious what's up.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com