What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

You wanted content...

Comments

• Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Also just realized, UPDATE IS ON MY BIRHDAY!

Yay! I get a birthday present from Cryptic first time ever!

Usually cause my birthday is Labor Day >_>
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Only have one word to say:

FINALLY.
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think it's a good approach that we have to earn the new powers. Incentives to play the content are always good. Whether the AT will be successful or if they have to find a new approach will remain to be seen.

Not only that, you get to get more acquainted with the powers a little more than just slapping them onto a character and running with it.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    Botched that for you.

Thanks, Pally.
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's probably an experiment to test the waters for new levelling exploits. Make everyone level to 40 then make a function to check for XP earned per hour during the event or something.

Once the exploits have been ironed out and they've established how fast it takes to powerlevel to 40 on average, they can start pricing a pay-for-insta-40 service.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Either way its far superior when you can earn new stuff using a character you feel comfortable with rather than something forced on you if you want it.

I don't see it as forced so much as another mission. You want the goodies? You gotta earn it through hard work. Think of it as a glass of lemonaide after a hard day's work; The fact that you got through that slog makes it taste that much sweeter.
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So about the Epic AT:

If you have a level 40 you gain access to the Epic AT for free. You will need an open character slot to roll this character.

When that Epic AT gets to level 40, all the new powers on it get unlocked for all your freeforms.

Overall Downside:

Everyone will be playing the new Epic AT to get it to 40. No alternate Epic ATs for variation of what powers to unlock account wide first through leveling.
    ![/B]

Pretty much it sounds like they plan to "at least if it doesn't turn out as a failure" add a new epic AT in each time they add in new powers. However us FF's will most likely end up leveling up one of each to 40 anyway just to get the powers and try them out. I think it will help keep 6-39 stuff more active when people coming back over time end up wanting to try out the new powers or epic AT.

I don't mind the idea of it all, it basically just means that adding in new powers also means players will play t he game over a longer period instead of being bored of the new powers so fast.

To Gradii, the idea isn't to force people at all however it isn't supposed to be something you can skip through on a super powered toon. Everyone is on the same level leveling up this AT and you unlock the powers by playing it. It isn't truly like it's forced, you don't have to get the powers from the AT but if you do want the AT's powers you should probably care about what the AT actually is and that means playing it.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2014
    Just burn through leveling alerts and maybe a few quests and call it a day.
    I suppose this will be the main course for anyone with access to FF.

Though, it will be hilarious if it'll end with PUG teams composed entirely of said ATs. :biggrin:

And the idea to use ATs to introduce new powers has also one more merit - it both gives Golds new powers to play with, but also gives Silvers a new AT to play with.
    And it may drive sales for character slots.

Not to mention it gives a reason to actually play the game for longer than it takes to get to the Powerhouse and retcon.
  • Options
    gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    the only problem is it makes no sense to force people to level an AT in a game about FREEFORMS.

if you want the new goodies theres PLENTY of other options for working for it rather than this.

While I don't know the details, it is not unheard in other mmos. It would be nice that this requirement fits sort kind of story but I am not expecting it since there are more pressing things.

It is just a time sink, there probably are several ways to go around it.
  • Options
    coneuroniaconeuronia Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Pretty good news overall.

Epic AT is always fun; hopefully the Champions Devs learned from the CoH devs in this case in that their first epic AT was pretty bad and needed buffing and the second one (for villains) was really overpowered in teams with the stacked buffs. But I'm loving geting more powers to play with.

Fighting Mechanon? Love it! I only hope it won't turn into a Mega-Destroid thing where it's "Ho-hum, there's Mechanon!" and people just whiz by to UNTIL for their adventure packs. Speaking of which 4-5 hours of content sounds like an adventure pack in and of itself, which is a LOT better than just a new alert or Rampage.

Just a few weeks away...wooo!

Amelie Layclaire - Lightning and Wind (40)
    Solution Five - Gadgets and Subterfuge (40)
    Dodgeball Kara - Support and Ebon Ruin (40)
    Relentless Pursuit - Fire and Force (35)
    Rear Window - Homage - Icy Disposition (20)
    Teaming with @shottymario and hoping to meet you all ingame.
  • Options
    supersharkssupersharks Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I said if we got some content I would buy zen, so I have done!

I'll buy a lot more when this releases.

Gotta encourage this kind of thing.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    be the hero you friggin wanna be.
    God help you if you actually do want to be an AT. Poor Gradii's heart will be broken if you do.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Sorry no but people who keep using be the hero you wanna be line, just makes me roll my eyes a bit, because no where in that does it say you wouldn't have to work for it to unlock being that hero. I know we live in the age of everything has to be handed to us on a silver platter that is draped in a specially soaked silk cloth with a white gloved British snooty butler waiting for our approval and god forbid that the silk cloth is the wrong color, but seriously, using that tag line is getting silly. Oh no you have to spend a few days at most leveling an AT to unlock the powers then you can slap them on your freeform. I don't see how the line is false still if that is true.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    lol you just love to ignore everything I say and repeat your exact same argument.

Nowhere did I say you should automatically get those powers.

Everywhere did I say leveling an AT is a crappy method of earning it.

No I didn't ignore it, I just don't agree with you about the AT method being a crappy way to do it. Gives people time to work with and learn the powers now. And when people learn how they work and synergize with each other, not to mention creating more over all interest in the content at hand.

I am not an alter but I can still see the value in this, as another person puts it the content would only last as long as people can go to retcon in the powerhouse.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    New powers locked behind an AT ya gotta level to 40, even as gold/LTS?

Hm.. not sure how I feel about that atm. Seems weird, but to vet players that are likely still gold/LTS, its not like leveling a new toon is a big deal anymore. I guess that means everyone is gonna be playing a new AT for a while :x (also means the PA powerset is gonna look even more bloated, I take).

Good stuff overall, though. Nice to finally get to dealing w/ this Mechanon figure I've been hearing about from vets.

So, bravo, CN! Very cool news.

(and chimerafreak should be quite happy to hear of this)

I am likewise not at all excited about the prospect of having to level an AT toon to unlock a power set for my non AT toons... However, I am excited about all the rest of it.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    that does NOT justify this method of unlocking powers.

That's up for debate, to be honest. For me, personally? I think the idea is great. As soon as I heard about it, I started thinking of what kind of concept I can make for this character. I think it's fun!

But, this is all experimental, as they said. If it doesn't pan out and people just hate leveling another character, then you can probably rest assured that they won't do this again.

I haven't been this excited about a game update in quite a while.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sorry no but people who keep using be the hero you wanna be line, just makes me roll my eyes a bit, because no where in that does it say you wouldn't have to work for it to unlock being that hero. I know we live in the age of everything has to be handed to us on a silver platter that is draped in a specially soaked silk cloth with a white gloved British snooty butler waiting for our approval and god forbid that the silk cloth is the wrong color, but seriously, using that tag line is getting silly. Oh no you have to spend a few days at most leveling an AT to unlock the powers then you can slap them on your freeform. I don't see how the line is false still if that is true.

Not to mention there are already limits to the system (and have been from the beginning). You can't have 2 EBs, EUs, or Ultimate powers. There is a tier system. You can only have one Passive, one TP, and one Form at a time. You can only have two TPs total. You can only pick a certain number of powers.

So there are clearly reasonable limits to "be the hero you want to be". If I want to be a hero who flies, teleports, and can burrow underground, with 20 other superpowers, who gains energy from both fire and electricity, who has built both an implosion engine and a device that turns me into a transparent fire-breathing dragon... I can't do that.

I don't think "you can add these powers to your arsenal after about 8 hours of gameplay" is directly contradicting the game's mission statement.
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well well, i was wrong and am excessively happy to have been wrong. better news than i could have hoped for really. now i need to go see a kid with a blanket about a pumpkin. still not n actual zone, but forward story progression is really welcomed, and gives a sense of liveliness this game hasnt really had for years.

speaking of pumpkins, the automaton thing is nice, but now about plant power :P

One more thing to clarify since they say fighting mechanon will be an anniversary event..this is permanent content, not just another stupid event that they take down in a month, right?
  • Options
    p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So, based on the information in the news piece, it sounds like we're not quite getting an AP, but something a lot more similar to STO's Adventure Zones. This and the announcement of a level 40-only AT has me pretty excited; with the exception of the buggy mess that is Defera, STO's adventure zones are pretty fun. I'm glad we're seeing this kind of content here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    thats completely besides the point.

Forced hand holding to introduce to you the new powers.

Give us some special perks to work towards or something, each perk could unlock a different one of the powers. Make said perks something which requires real work to obtain, but still shows a sense of progression and done, you now have a far better method.

And no, this isn't forced hand holding. I'm sorry, hand holding is things like having little sparklies and a glowing object to show you where you need to go. A big, bright neon sign telling you exactly who the big bad villain is in a mystery. A button that auto completes a combo for you with only one push. All that is hand holding. Playing an AT is not hand holding. Far from it.

And as far as we know it is a perk when you get to level 40 on the archetype.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    wimpazoidwimpazoid Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is great news! I'm excited about the update!

I've not had reason to log into CO for 7 months, but I'm re-installing the game as of this post!

This game can't have enough robot powers!
  • Options
    xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As someone who likes CO lore, I am actually most happy about the prospect that if people like this content, maybe we'll get more "stories" in the future :)

Not everything in CO is an homage to other villians or heroes. There are some cool villians and concepts that if brought together in a more unified way would make CO a unique and cool universe to be a part of. :smile:
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Silverpsar Was Right!

Next time she says something try listening shes normaly right.
    rianfrost wrote: »
    Well well, i was wrong and am excessively happy to have been wrong. better news than i could have hoped for really. now i need to go see a kid with a blanket about a pumpkin. still not n actual zone, but forward story progression is really welcomed, and gives a sense of liveliness this game hasnt really had for years.

speaking of pumpkins, the automaton thing is nice, but now about plant power :P

One more thing to clarify since they say fighting mechanon will be an anniversary event..this is permanent content, not just another stupid event that they take down in a month, right?

Good sir I would like to subscribe to your news letter.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I'm really excited for the new content, however since I am not a.. Ahem fanboy/girl I'll mention if part of it still sucks.

if theres one thing thats certain, there cant be a new piece of content without a downside coming with it. sometimes that downside is corrected later on.

I hope this is the case here.

sheesh just because I mention where things arent 100% perfect people cry that I'm some sort of wierdo.

Not true. We think your a wierdo cause u hate pvp yet you always duel Caliga :P

Nothing wrong with you saying yeah thats good but DO BETTER. Thats why I said never change ^_^
    If everybody is always happeh nothing would ever get done, its ur duty to be the forums grumpy pants.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    thats right, hand holding is only hand holding when you say so. I've seen your responses to any kind of concerns or complaints and its ALWAYS dismissive.

all the more reason for me to pay zero attention to what you say.

Erm is that wise to think that way she has been like 100% right the last few months or so even when everybody was calling her insane.

We better start calling her...

Spar_piccy.jpg

I mean SHE EVEN PROVED I WAS WRONG ME NEPHT LIKE WRONG! and I'm never wrong U_U ....I thought it was going to be lockboxes O__o"

She was right we where all so freaking wrong.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    Erm is that wise to think that way she has been like 100% right the last few months or so even when everybody was calling her insane.

All they did was vaguely refer to content coming, like many others. More like Mystic Meg.

They could still be insane ;-)
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    All they did was vaguely refer to content coming, like many others. More like Mystic Meg.

Well all I did was state what was already stated before, and have faith instead of instantly labeling Cryptic as doing nothing, that there were obvious signs around such as the fact we got several decent updates at the beginning of the year, more costumes, free and paid for, and lockbox types to help pay for new content as well as a subscription sale. As simple as that.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I am just glad old Mechanon is getting some game time took em long enough.

also Spar was right :P
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    I am just glad old Mechanon is getting some game time took em long enough.

100% agreed.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods