test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Here's web in your eye! Webshooter powerset.

spiderguy33spiderguy33 Posts: 9 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Suggestions Box
If this ideas has been suggested before, please redirect me to the thread so I can post this in it. Before anyone says anything, saying that this won't work because it would give Spider-man clones something to work with, think about this. You already have powersets that give TONS of clones something to work with. Iron man, Deadpool. Superman, Batman clones all get what they want. Spider-man clones still exist even without the web shooters, so not putting them into the game won't change anything. With that said, onto the suggestion itself.

IMHO, a webshooter powerset would be a great utility powerset for the game. It would fit into the other gadget powersets for it's theme, but also because it wouldn't fit into energy projectiles.

As for the powers themselves, you could have a web yank/grab power that would work like Grapple gun pull, web a target and yank them towards you. A couple of webbed up powers that can entangle a target, so they could still move but can't attack, or one that immobilizes them but they can still attack, and it would cause a slow effect for a little bit after they escape. A power that completely holds a target in place, but it would be on a cool down, a short cooldown please don't go overboard with it.

A web ball and web blast attacks that does the standard ranged damage stuff, and even a knockback for bigger web ball attacks. An attack that blinds and stuns an opponent for a short time, or gives a debuff to their accuracy. I was going to suggest a web gag attack to prevent enemies from using their mouths, but I'm wondering how that would work.

Hell, you can even put in two new travel powers with the release of this powerset. A web line swinging type power set, and a webchute, or web glide powerset.

That's some of my suggestions for a webshooter powerset. I have a lot more to add, but this post is already quite long, and people hate long posts to begin with. So please, feel free to post your comments and criticisms to this idea and all that good stuff.

One more thing though. Cryptic, from all of our spider toons out there... PLEASE LET US HAVE OUR WEBS!
Post edited by spiderguy33 on

Comments

• meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited July 2014
    We totally need creamy white power coloring for this one.
  • notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well I don't think a webshooter anything in CO would happen outy of fear of marvel suing the pants off PWE/Cryptic, but with a few tweaks here and there they might, just MIGHT be able to step around the evil copyright of doom...but i doubt it'll happen.

nice idea though...if a little derp
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • spiderguy33spiderguy33 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    notyuu wrote: »
    Well I don't think a webshooter anything in CO would happen outy of fear of marvel suing the pants off PWE/Cryptic, but with a few tweaks here and there they might, just MIGHT be able to step around the evil copyright of doom...but i doubt it'll happen.

nice idea though...if a little derp

I would buy that... if Marvel sued the pants off of them for Teleportation, dual blades and pistols, power armor, guns, wolverine claws, and just about anything else that Marvel has used in the last 70 or so years in their comics.

Oh, lets not forget sueing them for mentioning Mutants, or giving UNTIL the Helicarrier, OH and for having a rich guy in power armor, or just about anything else that is just slightly similar to anything that Marvel has.

My point, is that Marvel isn't stupid enough to spend money on lawyers to sue Cryptic or PWE for putting in a web shooting powerset, or travel power.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No, they won't sue of teleportation, dual blades and pistols, power armor, guns.
    (We have Wolverine claws?)
    But you make a 'Web Shooting' power set...

I hope they wont sue CO of Web Grenade.

You just need to understand 'slightly similar'.
    My point, is that Marvel isn't stupid enough to spend money on lawyers to sue Cryptic or PWE for putting in a web shooting powerset, or travel power.

But Disney might be....
    Let's all go to this merry-go-around once more....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited July 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    No, they won't sue of teleportation, dual blades and pistols, power armor, guns.
    (We have Wolverine claws?)
    But you make a 'Web Shooting' power set...

I hope they wont sue CO of Web Grenade.

You just need to understand 'slightly similar'.

But Disney might be....
    Let's all go to this merry-go-around once more....

Okay, if you can answer this question with proof that it will happen, then I will ask the devs to lock, burn, and forget this thread and idea.

Will Marvel and Disney, lose money over this powerset being put into CO, or any other super hero game not under their name?
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As much proof as you have for 'not stupid enough'. That's why there is a word 'might' in there.
    I have no idea if they lose money, since i don't work for Disney or Marvel. You need to contact someone in their end, to maybe get an answer for that.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited July 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    As much proof as you have for 'not stupid enough'. That's why there is a word 'might' in there.
    I have no idea if they lose money, since i don't work for Disney or Marvel. You need to contact someone in their end, to maybe get an answer for that.

Then there is no reason to assume that they would sue to begin with. Unless you are using that as an excuse to say that you don't like the idea. You should just say that you don't like the idea then.
  • chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Before anyone says anything, saying that this won't work because it would give Spider-man clones something to work with, think about this. You already have powersets that give TONS of clones something to work with. Iron man, Deadpool. Superman, Batman clones all get what they want. Spider-man clones still exist even without the web shooters, so not putting them into the game won't change anything.

The reason the Iron Man, Deadpool, etc. clones can get away with it is because things like power armor, guns, swords, and super-strength are generic and widely-used things.

Webshooters... are for Spider-Man. And only Spider-Man.

Tell ya what. You think up a character utilizing the hypothetical powerset of yours, and do so without any way of mistaking them for Spidey, and maybe we'll consider it. Maybe. But probably not. Because it's a stupid idea.
    edited July 2014
    Devs, if you are reading this, please lock, burn, and destroy this thread immediately. for everyone else, please contact Marvel and have them sue Cryptic, PWE and Hero Games, for having the webshooters and the powers in the Pen and Paper books; Hero system 6th Equipment Guide, and Champions Villains Volume Three: Solo Villains.
    edited July 2014
    Call it tanglecoil whatever shooters.
    Don't made it looking obviously like ropes made of spider web.

Though if we're sticking to the comic books, Spidey's shooters are more transportation and crowd control. They do pitiful damage.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Call it tanglecoil whatever shooters.
    Don't made it looking obviously like ropes made of spider web.

Though if we're sticking to the comic books, Spidey's shooters are more transportation and crowd control. They do pitiful damage.

He's used his web shooter offensively. Grant it it's unlikely he will cause any major hurt on anyone but he's still used them offensively. That being said;
    Devs, if you are reading this, please lock, burn, and destroy this thread immediately. for everyone else, please contact Marvel and have them sue Cryptic, PWE and Hero Games, for having the webshooters and the powers in the Pen and Paper books; Hero system 6th Equipment Guide, and Champions Villains Volume Three: Solo Villains.

Seriously guy, stop being an over sensitive type. Cryptic has been in this situation before. City of Heroes, people were making clones of famous comic book characters, and Cryptic got sued. It was settled out of court when it was found several clones were at a marvel IP, but the result is Cryptic has to actively police for clones. And like it or not, the web shooters are fundamentally tied to one character, unlike power armor or super strength. Clones can get Cryptic into a lot of trouble and no matter how you paint it, web shooters are very specific.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014
    He's used his web shooter offensively. Grant it it's unlikely he will cause any major hurt on anyone but he's still used them offensively. That being said;
    Debuff is also an offensive use. You are firing it at target.
    I can't really see any justification for webshooters being raw dps oriented powers. As hold or paralysis attacks, or knockback/knockdown oriented - seems more like it.

The biggest thing Spiderman ever did with his webs fired at someone was to suffocate or glue visors in their helmets. Or to knock gun out of someone's hand.
  • yinjeighyinjeigh Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'd like to say, OP, I think this is a great idea. If Disney/Marvel were gonna pursue Cryptic/PWE on powersets, they woulda done it much sooner with the Stormbringer passive. That is pretty much Storm or Thor down to the letter. All the legal mumbo jumbo aside, the point of this post is to show interest in Webbing-type powers. I'm pretty sure our devs could find a way to make it so without pressing to closely to infringement.

Hell, call it bio-rope instead of webbing. Or maybe a mini-set in infernal or bestial supernatural that had some type of sticky secretions, similar to the web grenade we already have in tech pool.

/SIGNED out of pure interest in seeing how Cryptic would dodge the law bullet.
    @Jeighsun in-game. Feel free to add me!
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    edited July 2014
    Actually marvel can't sue over Thor, you can have a Thor character since marvel didn't make Thor.

BTW this is why we have vine swinging instead or web swinging. Spiderman is Marvel's flagship character, they would sue.
    Obviously the OP just wants to play Spiderman.
    PWE and Cryptic don't own the PnP only hero games does. All PWE and Cryptic own is the IP of the characters which they lease back to hero for $1 a year
    edited July 2014
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's a fun idea but..

unlike other powers web slinging and the term "web slinger' are very specific to Spiderman. Power Armor isn't specific to Iron Man - there are literally hundreds of Comic Book and Anime characters who fall in that category.

Just like there a ton of super-strong "Flying Brick" types. Or Psychic characters, Or Fire-starters.. etc.. etc..

But there is just one web-slinger!

I played City of Heroes when Cryptic got sued by Marvel. It was messy.. messy... messy. Cryptic can get away with Nighthawk - because the gadget using vigilante type is another commonly used trope.

But a wall crawling web slinger - I can't think of another one.

I also would't be surprised if the term web-slinging has probably been copyrighted by Marvel, just like "batarang" has been by DC.

That being said an "insect" power set of some sort could be fun. But it could never, ever be called web slinging. It would have to be called something else.

Here's an article to reference
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-11-11-marvel-sues-over-avatars_x.htm
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 932 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The chances of seeing Web-shooters in CO are nigh impossible for this reason alone:
    jasinblaze wrote: »
    oh and this

However, if they expanded chains to it's own powerset, add a tentacle powerset, or even a whip powerset, all with changeable skins and colors, you could possibly have a make-shift web power set.

I have a Spider-man inspired toon named "The Arachnid". Instead of webbing, I took various Mystic powers and combined them with Energy Swing to create "Cosmic Webbing" which works nicely with my concept that he got his powers from a cosmic deity.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I want a whip or a chain set so badly. Either of em could do what webbing can do.

However.

Chain swing, chain lash, the net gun, tanglecoil launcher. wind energy builder (it does kinda look like you're throwing webs at people) you could probably fudge a pretty effective web-ish character.

There was some pretty heavy rumbling there for a minute about a plant mini-set. It seriously looked like it might become a reality, and it's a shame it didn't. Vine powers would rock.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine