Halp! Rampages are becoming dead like as Hero Game PvP

Comments

• Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    On Alert, april 13th(friday) 2012.
    SS's changed and gear changed.
    also crafting changed.

I only had about 30 characters then and I redid all of them with no problems.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think the concept of playing 10-20 min instances like alerts or even rampages while convenient it kills the flow of the story if even there is an actual story. It is the same difference between watching an story arc episode and a filler episode in a tv series.

For instance, where is the introduction to villains like gravitar, fire & ice?

Cybermind 3 instances at least tell a story we can follow.

Rampages are about tokens for justice gear and for some Q farming like other alerts with the difference that players can fail in rampages. However, what is the justice gear for? if rampages themselves are in the top hardest content in this game, then what justice gear prepares me for, that I can't deal using heroic or mercenary gear?
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    gandales wrote: »
    Rampages are about tokens for justice gear and for some Q farming like other alerts with the difference that players can fail in rampages. However, what is the justice gear for? if rampages themselves are in the top hardest content in this game, then what justice gear prepares me for, that I can't deal using heroic or mercenary gear?

I agree with your sentiment. I have a stack of tokens and enough Drifter Salvage to purchase a set of Justice Gear. But I haven't yet. Some of it's alt-itis. And some of it is.. I just don't have any reason to buy the set. There's nothing in the game that really warrants it and I don't see it as that much of a necessity yet.

Perhaps some new content is on the way.. and if that's the case I'll just hold off until I find out. I would hate to purchase and slot that gear up only to find out I could've made a different choice.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Do rampages to get justice gear.

Use justice gear to pvp.

Seems legit to me. :D
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I already have 7 Gravitar tokens and none for others.
    So I have no reason to queue Gravitar.
    351049a0.jpg
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    monaahiru wrote: »
    I already have 7 Gravitar tokens and none for others.
    So I have no reason to queue Gravitar.
    351049a0.jpg

She's pretty fast Q up to the 600Q mark.
  • Options
    lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I was in it for her costume pieces, which I now have - all from the AH. Given how I find Grav not even slightly fun due to her cheap shots and lockout nonsense, I do not expect I'd ever join in for her again, because I'm not really a top gear-grind sort. Kudos to those who are, but.. not me.

Have you done Grav recently? I ask because you mention the lockout.

Maybe you played when the rampage was first introduced and had some bad luck with pugging. I say this because the players for the most part these days don't get locked out upon defeat. They call for a rez, and there is almost always a rezzer or someone with a become device with rez capability.

Also you don't *need "top gear". Hell you could get by on Merc gear. Lastly if it's an issue of pride and you don't like being deaderized and cascaded and bubbled and such, understand that there are healers and rezzers that enjoy when that happens because it gives them something to do. If you are doing your level best and throwing whatever you can downrange no one will think less of you if you do catch a shot to the chin.

tldr; give the rampage a second chance
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,434 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Get yourself a decent supply of servitur serums (see the silver champion recognition vendor, look at the bottom of consumables). They are only 3 recognition points and have 3 charges. They will revive you, but you need to have some powers or consumables to heal you up quick before you get hit again. You start back up with almost no HPs. Don't hit the Recover button, hit the SS in your device tray. Anyone who goes into Gravitar or F&I (or anything with a lockout) should have at least one of these. I'm always chagrined at the number of Lvl 40s in Gravitar who get taken down and moan when there's no rezzer in the group to help them. Folks need to be a little more proactive here. Run a few alerts like Hi-pan; 3 completions gets you enough for 2 SS's. Best investment one can make considering the minimal time involved, the usefulness and doesn't cost any real money.
    I was in it for her costume pieces, which I now have - all from the AH. Given how I find Grav not even slightly fun due to her cheap shots and lockout nonsense, I do not expect I'd ever join in for her again, because I'm not really a top gear-grind sort. Kudos to those who are, but.. not me.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,748 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've also encountered servitor serums in the VB quest Winters of Our Discontent (one of the long ones where ya eventually encounter another unnecessary pop culture ref made into an npc). The coffins ya can open in that sometimes have serum, and I think ya can keep resetting it as long as ya never fully complete the quest. They may be found in other places, but that was one I remembered when leveling early on (hope it still works like that now).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    oobtreeoobtree Posts: 1,068 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Very little can make Rampages appealing after how crappy of a grind it was to get a full set of justice gear. For real. But as a PvPer, I hate having to do any PvE.. was boring enough just to get level 40 4 times (alts.)

While CO encourages having multiple character slots, the grind required for top gear (not even including mods) per character requires WAY MORE time invested than I care to give.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Get yourself a decent supply of servitur serums (see the silver champion recognition vendor, look at the bottom of consumables).

Serums are just asking to eat a Gravitar anti-res-blast-o-doom.

It always comes down to if I can fire off an active defense or full heal before she puts me right back into the dirt within .5 sec of resurrecting.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Yep. Exactly what I said. Still, better to give that a try than lie there face in the pavement. One Gravitar run took 3 uses of SS to complete it, but I was still standing at the end. :smile:
    Serums are just asking to eat a Gravitar anti-res-blast-o-doom.

It always comes down to if I can fire off an active defense or full heal before she puts me right back into the dirt within .5 sec of resurrecting.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I just save all the triumphant recovery 4 packs I get while leveling alts in my hideout bank for later use in these situations.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    sounds like she hates one of your characters.
    My record still stands at 24 deaths in one Gravitar.(yes, i sat there counting, it wasn't funny at the time but sure was after) The healer just kept ressing me and she kept one shotting me, at least everyone else was safe.

up until I opened my mouth and said "don't go near me, she'll get you."
    yep, she got the healer next.

the rest of the team finished the alert easily

• Options
    edited June 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    sounds like she hates one of your characters.
    My record still stands at 24 deaths in one Gravitar.(yes, i sat there counting, it wasn't funny at the time but sure was after) The healer just kept ressing me and she kept one shotting me, at least everyone else was safe.

up until I opened my mouth and said "don't go near me, she'll get you."
    yep, she got the healer next.

the rest of the team finished the alert easily

Maybe the reason the healer rezzed you was so you could take another one for the team to draw fire away from the others :p
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    Maybe the reason the healer rezzed you was so you could take another one for the team to draw fire away from the others :p

As I've been replied when in your predicament, the Chosen one.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    edited June 2014

The wall of dead bards from Dorkness Rising would be an applicable scene for this.
  • Options
    jellycupsowbugjellycupsowbug Posts: 358 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'll rez anyone for this reason, if no other.

I think it's been a couple weeks since I've been on, though.
  • Options
    jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Have you done Grav recently? I ask because you mention the lockout.

Maybe you played when the rampage was first introduced and had some bad luck with pugging. I say this because the players for the most part these days don't get locked out upon defeat. They call for a rez, and there is almost always a rezzer or someone with a become device with rez capability.

Also you don't *need "top gear". Hell you could get by on Merc gear. Lastly if it's an issue of pride and you don't like being deaderized and cascaded and bubbled and such, understand that there are healers and rezzers that enjoy when that happens because it gives them something to do. If you are doing your level best and throwing whatever you can downrange no one will think less of you if you do catch a shot to the chin.

tldr; give the rampage a second chance

Empirical PUG success rates (~50 or so runs so far?):

Gravitar: 90% (time can vary)
    UNTIL Sky command: 95%
    Lemurian invasion: 100% (but it can't fail)
    Fire and Ice: Less than 20% (PQ is 100% so far, but there are wipes)

So no, I don't see the problem with gravitar.

PS The two builds I use are a grav-capable regen tank and AoRP healer/rez/self-rez, so the numbers may be inflated a bit on my part. As for Frosticus ... no I don't have anything for that right now unless I get a dedicated healer.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Not completely.

Private groups are still very active.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Not completely.

Private groups are still very active.

Yea I do see you around Brou. Getting back into this game after a 6 month hiatus.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'm always a bit surprised that people going into Grav or F&I don't bring along at least 1 Servitor Serum. Free self rez. Sure, you come back pretty weak and can die again from a random attack, but for 3 SCR it's better than just lying there or quitting if there's no rezzer in the group.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    It really doesn't help that as a healer you can only see half of your team on the sidebar. If we're gonna have a 10 man rampage, I *really* need all of the life bars to be able to heal effectively. Right now it's willy nilly camera panning and a bit of luck.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I guess all those people were right. Remember the people, when rampages first came out, said "Rampage tokens drop way too frequently, it won't be long before everyone has all the Rampage Gear they need and then the queues will fall into disuse. The drops need to have a lower drop chance."

Guess they showed us! D:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    or alternatively, the people who were spamming them for hours at a time(I think somebody said hey were doing them 9hrs a day for 3 weeks) , have got their gear and stopped.
    but 2 pts for a brilliant summation.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    I'm always a bit surprised that people going into Grav or F&I don't bring along at least 1 Servitor Serum. Free self rez. Sure, you come back pretty weak and can die again from a random attack, but for 3 SCR it's better than just lying there or quitting if there's no rezzer in the group.

Servitors pretty much guarantee an anti-rez blast as soon as you have 1 hp and still can't act.
  • Options
    morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Huh. One of my characters uses servitor serums, and I think I've gone through maybe 20 charges across well over 20 runs, and I can only remember getting "anti-rez blasted" once.

Probably helps that it's on a ranged character with no knock resist, though; I suspect most of the time I actually use a servitor serum, I'm out of range of (at least most) of Gravitar's attacks.
  • Options
    gingervitosgingervitos Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The only one that seems dead to me is that crappy Sky Command. I mean that rampage is worse than Rob Schneider.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'd agree, which is odd. It's definitely the easiest as long as you're not asleep.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'd agree, which is odd. It's definitely the easiest as long as you're not asleep.

It's because it's too long to do. I don't hate it, myself, but I heard a lot of people dn't enjoy being forced to take so long for the reward.
  • Options
    krazykarazankrazykarazan Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    iamrune wrote: »
    It's because it's too long to do. I don't hate it, myself, but I heard a lot of people dn't enjoy being forced to take so long for the reward.
    The only one that seems dead to me is that crappy Sky Command. I mean that rampage is worse than Rob Schneider.

Everytime I run Sky Command, it feels like this when the lovely lady announces there's a problem with the cooling system or engine ....

FQG0Mpe.png
    I am @krazykarazan ingame
  • Options
    edited July 2014

That's my issue too, which is really ironic, since I want rewards to be harder. Careful what you wish for, I guess.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The problem I have with Sky Command isn't that it's too long, it's that it gets tedious. A bit more variety in the waves of attackers would be good, and it should end after you kill the mega destroyer instead of subjecting you to interminable minutes of a lone black talon making repeated futile assaults.

Edit: Or, here's a better idea: the mega destroid respawns when killed, until the timer runs out, gives its full resource drop each time you manage to kill it, and gets a stacking buff each time for more health & damage output. Turn the timer into a source of challenge (how many megadestroids can you kill) instead of a source of boredom.

Here's an idea: what if it's actually Shadow Destroyer making the assault, and sometimes he teleports a bunch of karkadons onto the deck? Give you something different to fight than just more identical destroid robots...
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    morigosa wrote: »
    The problem I have with Sky Command isn't that it's too long, it's that it gets tedious. A bit more variety in the waves of attackers would be good, and it should end after you kill the mega destroyer instead of subjecting you to interminable minutes of a lone black talon making repeated futile assaults.

It does seem to be the most hated rampage. I think it needs to be tightened up a ittle to make it flow better.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Totally. And what's crazy is that it's not because it's hard. it's because "go look over here! wait, look over there! wait! look up on top of it! LOL JK THEY'RE BELOW YOU NOW"

It's not hard. It's just eef. Coulda planned that better. I'm not trying to play badminton here.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Totally. And what's crazy is that it's not because it's hard. it's because "go look over here! wait, look over there! wait! look up on top of it! LOL JK THEY'RE BELOW YOU NOW"

It's not hard. It's just eef. Coulda planned that better. I'm not trying to play badminton here.

Indeed the two'ing and fro'ing ( not sure of that spelling ) is just plain awful. The Mega D fight near the end is fun , but the wait after you have done everything is just plain stupid.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Needing to move around in three dimensions is personally my favorite part of that alert. Then again, sometimes I feel like I'm part of a very small minority of players that actually feel that having to move around during encounters is an appropriate game mechanic.:frown:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Needing to move around in three dimensions is personally my favorite part of that alert. Then again, sometimes I feel like I'm part of a very small minority of players that actually feel that having to move around during encounters is an appropriate game mechanic.:frown:

PWE plans on taking away all movement and have a [ Become someone that can walk ] device put in lock boxes.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,748 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Why does Sky Command have to be the Rampage w/ the far worst token drop rate for me? I have about half of them as I do other tokens, and I run the others (save Gravi) quite less.

I wouldn't mind it if, like LI, you could speed up the instance somehow, but nope. Really becomes tedious because of the fixed timer. I think I'd somewhat enjoy it if it weren't for that.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Wait, you mean you guys don't split into groups of 3-4 to cover each part?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Wait, you mean you guys don't split into groups of 3-4 to cover each part?

I'm only one person o3o
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'm only one person o3o

You don't use your Voltron separation mode?
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Now that I have a Justice Gear set, I haven't queued for a Rampage in a week.
    Just doesn't seem worthwhile now. Q isn't that big a deal since the exchange rate is 350 or 400 to 1 Z.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Now that I have a Justice Gear set, I haven't queued for a Rampage in a week.
    Just doesn't seem worthwhile now. Q isn't that big a deal since the exchange rate is 350 or 400 to 1 Z.

It's actually gone under 300 a couple times in the last week or two and would probably stay under it if someone wasn't trying to inflate the exchange rate but, that's a discussion for another thread.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I don't think there is a plot to increase the rate. It has more to do with the release of new lockboxes, I think.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I don't think there is a plot to increase the rate. It has more to do with the release of new lockboxes, I think.

Look at the Sell Zen tab instead of the Buy Zen tab so you can watch the top offers to buy zen and you'll see what I mean. It's something that's been repeated many times now and is impossible to deny once you recognize it.