Options

Juggling? Seriously?

13»

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    crosschan wrote: »

2. Bring back the demo/refer a friend program. Before the website transferred to ARC this page actually came back for a short bit and it was hinted that they wanted to go back to this practice and I, personally, say that's a GREAT idea. You want to sell Gold Subs, LTS, and FF Slots then you give people a chance to taste the FF. You show them what they're missing. You get the playerbase involved with the AF and Costume Slots for referrals so they go out and bring you the new players. Show the new players that CO can be played either as a froob with an AT or what is possible, in a limited dose, if they want to invest a little more cash.

I'm envisioning a system wherein a new player could access one FF slot, but its XP-capped at a somewhat low level (say, at 16 near-max XP, right before the lvl 17 power slot for FFs). When/if the player hits that point, the game pop-ups a big menu that basically says 'Look at all these powers you could unlock!" and then lists them according to ur previous powerset choices (like is done at the PH for FFs) captions 'Check our subscription options and be the full hero you want to be!' and then links to it in a big 'Subscirbe!' button. If they do subscribe right then and there, they log back on and see their toon ding that next level.
    (edit: end of lvl 13 could also work for this)

Something like that.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    NW Dev: Hey, let's do court jesters who can juggle for the anniversary.
    X-CO Dev: Hey, I've seen an emote we could use for that from my time on CO.
    NW Dev: Perfect, we can just expand that into being usable by the players and give it to them.
    CO Dev: Hey....if you're going to do that then could you please send me a copy of your work and I can put it in CO so those players can jump through a few hoops here and there and get their own.
    All Devs: Excellent, then we can give something to two games which came from CO and will make more people happy.

As much as everyone likes to believe, I don't think it's even remotely as simple as a copy and paste job. They are still uniquely different games with unique code bases, even on different engines still.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ^----Perhaps. I did admit I might have oversimplified it a touch...but still. There's been a guy doing that same sequence of movements and such in VB since 2010.
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ^----Perhaps. I did admit I might have oversimplified it a touch...but still. There's been a guy doing that same sequence of movements and such in VB since 2010.

There has been, yes, but I hardly think juggling is something to get your panties in a wad over. I am more interested in real content, something we haven't had in a while first. While new emotes would be nice, let's see what they are cooking first.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    You're kinda missing the entire scope and scale of the conversation on that point though(no offense). Sometimes there are smaller conversations about things which seem simpler. Actual perminant meat and potatoes CONTENT should always, IMO, be the top of the food chain. This particular thread is as simple as it sounds really. It's just about giving another game an emote from CO before the people who asked for it in CO got a chance to earn it.

I did mention Campaign/Rep Zones earlier. THAT is the what I believe to be the larger top priority CONTENT like what you're talking about. This is just, and it always has been, a Juggling Emote.
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    You're kinda missing the entire scope and scale of the conversation on that point though(no offense). Sometimes there are smaller conversations about things which seem simpler. Actual perminant meat and potatoes CONTENT should always, IMO, be the top of the food chain. This particular thread is as simple as it sounds really. It's just about giving another game an emote from CO before the people who asked for it in CO got a chance to earn it.

I did mention Campaign/Rep Zones earlier. THAT is the what I believe to be the larger top priority CONTENT like what you're talking about. This is just, and it always has been, a Juggling Emote.

Not really. This goes back to the big difference; player base. Guess who has more?
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    sanguinevipersanguineviper Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You mean this thing?

The thing we have in the game already that this guy has been doing since VB came out?

Snark never dies.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    You mean this thing?

The thing we have in the game already that this guy has been doing since VB came out?

Think the point being made went way over your head at this point.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Spar, how many more people do you think this game needs to grant this playerbase an emote that's been in our game since 2010 and the NW people have converted into an emote for it's players for part of their event? 5? 10? 100? :rolleyes:

Sang, precisely. That right there. :wink:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    sanguinevipersanguineviper Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Or maybe your head is just blocking out the sun at this point and no one can see anything, let alone the point anymore.

Snark never dies.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

No, the point/thread topic is under the point you're trying to make. You're comparing apples and orchards. Sometimes it really is about the little things.
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Spar, how many more people do you think this game needs to grant this playerbase an emote that's been in our game since 2010 and the NW people have converted into an emote for it's players for part of their event? 5? 10? 100? :rolleyes:

Sang, precisely. That right there. :wink:

Quite a bit actually. Go take a survey of Neverwinter's population then compare it to ours. And it was a limited event and can't even be gained anymore unless it moved into their store. Yea I want things but I know where the bulk of attention will go as long as this player base is barely scraping by in size. I doubt emotes are on top priority right now, because let's face it, adding an emote sure as hell isn't going to bring many people into this game, if any at all.
    Or maybe your head is just blocking out the sun at this point and no one can see anything, let alone the point anymore.

Really, is that the best you got, because this whole emote whine fest is striking very hard against ego's right now.
    No, the point/thread topic is under the point you're trying to make. You're comparing apples and orchards. Sometimes it really is about the little things.

I think we need more than little things right now since little things is what we have been getting. An emote is the furthest thing from my list, especially a novelty emote that might see a lot of use for the first two weeks then be completely forgotten after that except every once in a while, tops.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Ok, I get it. You don't think the emote thing is worth the discussion....and yet you're in the thread for the discussion about the emote making large posts about things which are of a much grander scale and retrudging up things like population comparisons and such when this is, in all likelyhood, one bored guy's side project for the day from happening I would guess.

It's not a "whine fest." It's not "striking against egos." It's a simple simple issue wherein it would have been nice and I do not find it unreasonable for us to get little things that have been requested for years before they've given to another game that didn't even know they existed to be able to ask for them.

If it doesn't "make your list" then that's all fine and dandy. That is your opinion. This thread is about that discussion however. It's not "Doing your part to bring butts to the seats in CO", "Why our neighbors have larger playerbases", or even "If you throw enough of your money at the game you want to get better it will get better because we've done that for years and look how awesomely well that worked out for us." No, it's about the juggling emote and your opinion on this has so been noted.
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Quite a bit actually. Go take a survey of Neverwinter's population then compare it to ours. And it was a limited event and can't even be gained anymore unless it moved into their store. Yea I want things but I know where the bulk of attention will go as long as this player base is barely scraping by in size. I doubt emotes are on top priority right now, because let's face it, adding an emote sure as hell isn't going to bring many people into this game, if any at all.

No, probably not, but it might bring in more revenue. I bought the last (and only--so far) emote pack, and I'd be happy to buy another. What about you?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    No, probably not, but it might bring in more revenue. I bought the last (and only--so far) emote pack, and I'd be happy to buy another. What about you?

if we're going to bring cash into the equation then sure....but I'm going to want ALL the standing emotes you can access from that bug where you use an interactive device and you can move to access the emotes so long as you don't close that window thrown in with them. I have no issue tossing money at this game if it's worth it to me. I'm just not in the business of buying "Credits Redeemable for Future Hope" anymore so much. :wink:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I bought it. I am sure I would buy others. I have no doubt about that, but for starters I can see why this game doesn't get half the stuff it pines for. For seconders, we have a brand new dev team who I think is focused on other things at the moment. And to make it fair, since fairness would become an issue since it was a limited event item (and yes, when we got emotes STO players paid for they screamed bloody murder so it would come up). So putting it in our store would have a few screaming and making it a permanent emote would have Neverwinter screaming. Who knows it might be some reward to get in the anniversary event, since this was Neverwinter's anniversary item they worked for.

I am just stating it bluntly, have patience.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Remember when the emotes that were waiting for props, like ;wrenchkneel and ;protest, were silently removed from the game?

After that happened, then seeing the impossible happen in another game(emote with props), it's hard to not feel slighted.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well to be blunt your point is overshadowed by two simple facts; player base size (both STO and Neverwinter have substantially more) and resources (again Neverwinter and STO have substantially more thanks to player base size). We can change that to by doing the same and getting Champions more players playing. And going by the backlash the last time they tried I doubt they are either going to give us free emotes the other two games have to work or pay for.

To be blunt, the argument of getting more players was done during ATARI times. New players, especially paying customers does not appear magically, especially when competition is getting stronger and not timid in looking for ways to get customers. I am worried if the master plan seems to be for us to kind of brainwash/deceive people into playing this game over others.

I am glad for once for the costume contest event on July 4th, since Cryptic at least is kind of supporting it with virtual prizes. However, they need to be more a way more aggressive in order to get noticed.

By the way, I hope they are planning a nice sale on the zstore for July 4th:smile:
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    I'm envisioning a system wherein a new player could access one FF slot, but its XP-capped at a somewhat low level (say, at 16 near-max XP, right before the lvl 17 power slot for FFs). When/if the player hits that point, the game pop-ups a big menu that basically says 'Look at all these powers you could unlock!" and then lists them according to ur previous powerset choices (like is done at the PH for FFs) captions 'Check our subscription options and be the full hero you want to be!' and then links to it in a big 'Subscirbe!' button. If they do subscribe right then and there, they log back on and see their toon ding that next level.
    (edit: end of lvl 13 could also work for this)

Something like that.

Hell and no.

You start a new toon and run through the tutorial that has no shortage of idiot boxes popping up all over the place. You leave the tutorial and you have, what is it now, three?, pop up boxes of crap to click through. Every day you log into the game, a pop up box of crap they want you to buy shows up. And now, we can have a pop up box telling you to buy more stuff?

If there's one thing people hate, it's pop up boxes. No one likes them on their web sites, no one likes them in their games.

As for the OP, +1 to stealing stuff back from the games that pilfer from CO. It is lame that a simple emote that came from CO is available in ANOTHER GAME before it comes here.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    Hell and no.

You start a new toon and run through the tutorial that has no shortage of idiot boxes popping up all over the place. You leave the tutorial and you have, what is it now, three?, pop up boxes of crap to click through. Every day you log into the game, a pop up box of crap they want you to buy shows up. And now, we can have a pop up box telling you to buy more stuff?

If there's one thing people hate, it's pop up boxes. No one likes them on their web sites, no one likes them in their games.

As for the OP, +1 to stealing stuff back from the games that pilfer from CO. It is lame that a simple emote that came from CO is available in ANOTHER GAME before it comes here.

Yeah, how dare they try to promote stuff for sale. I mean it's not like they're running a business or anything. Go away Cryptic. Shoo.

Good god the amount of pettiness shown and exaggeration about the popup windows. It's not like they pop up in the middle of combat or anything.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Because you can't see what's on sale in the launcher before you even get into the game.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Because you can't see what's on sale in the launcher before you even get into the game.

Because the idea of wanting to jump into the game first and then see what's on sale is something out of the ordinary.
  • Options
    enixonbbenixonbb Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I can't think of anything that's been imported over here from STO.

Lockboxes :biggrin:
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hell and no.

Keep in mind its for f2p players using this 'limited access' FF slot- people that are used to 'free' content should have accepted adds and pop-ups as a regular means to keep it afloat by now. If not, well welcome to the internet and online gaming :p
    They can always choose not to use that slot (and play the game as it is for silvers atm), or have a disable pop-up option. No one's forcing them to use new options- but it would be nice if CN expanded what they could monetize on.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    enixonbb wrote: »
    Lockboxes :biggrin:

And starships--I mean vehicles.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    And starships--I mean vehicles.

Starships hrmm... Where's my crew with 50 bajillion powers to use then?
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    When I first saw the thread title I thought they had somehow implemented fighting game style juggling mechanics.
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    When I first saw the thread title I thought they had somehow implemented fighting game style juggling mechanics.

They have. In a cruel joke, they've dubbed it "Knockback Resistance".
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends