test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Questionite Exchange needs balance!

jazitheweirdjazitheweird Posts: 1 Arc User
I'm about done with this whole Questionite Exchange supposed to be helpful to people that don't have money to buy Zen and whatnot but the rates just keep going up and there is completely no sign of it going down. At this point, everyone should just sell their Zen for 500 questionite each because that's what seems is going to happen anyway.

I was around when the system first came out, and I think it was a good idea. But now it's not even worth trying to save up the Questionite, thinking that you'll get a deal or tell yourself that it will go down. If anything, they should raise the cap of you refining Questionite Ore because not everyone has 4+ characters to be able to rotate with.

And yea, you really are getting 16k a day if you do the times right but that still isn't going to help once the prices max out.

Starting to think this was a bad idea now...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    heavynosferatuheavynosferatu Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As long as people are willing to pay the prices listed, it will continue to rise.

I agree it sucks, but unless they want to put a cap on it or limit it, this will continue.

Also, I don't see PW or the dev's putting a cap/limit on the exchange.
    Devil and the deep blue sea behind me
    Vanish in the air you'll never find me
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There is a limit. It caps out at 500:1. It also bottoms at 50:1. Other than that, it's a matter of how much Q you're willing to swap for Zen. Don't like the rate? Stop buying, and get your friends to join you. If enough people stop buying at the inflated rate, it goes down. If not, then the market does not feel the price is "inflated", obviously.

Welcome to the free market. Keep one hand on your wallet at all times.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If people don't want to pay the high prices, they should collectively try to hold out for lower prices. Just because you see the lowest offer is 250 Q per Zen (as an example, I'm not sure what the current price is), does not mean you HAVE to buy match. Place a lower offer.

I would also say that prices have inched upward lately because there isn't much new to spend your Q on. Just vehicles and vehicle weapons. What would really help is if we had something new and interesting in the Q-store. Or better yet, a sale. Q-store travel power sales usually do very well.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• Options
    morbious01morbious01 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    people buying and re-selling q aint helping and the two recent good lockboxs (with q crates included and 2 good looking ships) have driven the prices up people wanting the keys i presume
    but
    till the 5th aniversary thats it for events? so weve afew months for the price to drop before it goes insane again

theres 3 choices join in buying reselling q, hoard or just say to hell with it..its only 325q / 1 zen

however
    The storage cap of 5000 zen needs to be raised after 20k's worth they vanish off the lists view in the questite exchanges panal which scares the hell outta me which then means i need a mule to hold all the q

im silver i bought n sold then hoarded then said to hell with it
    it depends on you patience level
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    A new lockbox comes out every 2 months or so. Q prices go up because people want keys.

I suspect that Cryptic is trying to keep prices up to at least 300q per zen, so I'm not expecting prices to go back down again. If we see another lockbox event in may/june then expect q prices to never go back below that point.

If you want to, you can pre-set your q or zen to sell at whatever price you want and leave it there. Or set a few batches at different prices to see how things change. It automagically sells once the price point is reached.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    morbious01 wrote: »
    people buying and re-selling q aint helping and the two recent good lockboxs (with q crates included and 2 good looking ships) have driven the prices up people wanting the keys i presume
    but
    till the 5th aniversary thats it for events? so weve afew months for the price to drop before it goes insane again

theres 3 choices join in buying reselling q, hoard or just say to hell with it..its only 325q / 1 zen

however
    The storage cap of 5000 zen needs to be raised after 20k's worth they vanish off the lists view in the questite exchanges panal which scares the hell outta me which then means i need a mule to hold all the q

im silver i bought n sold then hoarded then said to hell with it
    it depends on you patience level

put it in your available balance area, the bit just under your offers, not the bit down the bottom. all your characters can access it there and you can stash a lot there.
    to the OP,

all Zen is provided by PLAYERS, NOT by PWE/Cryptic.

They get it by paying directly(purchases) or indirectly(subs).

Just as you are interested in paying as little for it as possible, they are interested in getting as much for their zen as possible. The company does not regulate, though it is in their benefit to have a higher exchange rate for zen, as it means more people are likely to buy zen.

also if there is nothing in the Q store that they want to buy, they are unlikely to be selling
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think we had this, or a similar discussion, about a month ago.

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=264901

Since around Christmas I had wondered if anyone was keeping track and using the info to know where Q had been, in relation to Zen, and where it was heading.

I honestly do not think a Q/Z exchange would ever need to be tracked by the hour, but a daily report of such numbers might be useful to track it's broadly moving ups and downs.

Now I have been keeping a pretty close eye on the trend for my own knowledge since - March 01, 2014 - and while I will not post every number here, I will report that the lowest exchange on - March 16th - was 285, and the highest rate of exchange listed, so far, on - March 27th - 349.

I cannot say if the 349 Q for 1 Z was actually exchanged since two days later, the Exchanged listed 320 and two days after that 307. After that it rose again, so some trading probably occurred.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Many factors has changed the exchange market:

1) Increased supply of Q through Rampage farming. Q inflation.

2) More additions that cost zen/drifter, and almost nothing that cost Q. Therefore, the relation zen demand/Q demand increases favoring Q selling and making Q/Zen rate hgher.
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Interestingly, Q converts relatively well to G - look up Mk2 weapon prices on the AH.

If Q isn't worth converting to Z on the exchange, might as well buy something from the Q store and sell it for G instead.
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Its well balanced for someone who paying real money. o3o
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    QQ, my free stuff costs too much time playing a video game.

You think the rate is too high? Get out your wallet.
  • Options
    embracemyswordembracemysword Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »

You know why CO is on the verge of death? It's people like yourself, driving away potential new gamers with their inappropriate behaviour. You should just cut it out once and for all, it does not make you anymore special than the other people, neither does it make you seem cool or intelligent. What you are achieveing is getting people to really dislike you/your attitude and opinions. It is the tone that makes the music after all. You think you know it all, where in reality you are nothing but a very delusional person living in their own "CO-world". Open your eyes, see the facts and stop acting as if you were something better than the rest of us.

Thank you very much..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited April 2014
    Well i would be okay with the exchange prices if the "refining" limited would fit... when the price was at 210 the refining limit was just fine but now its becoming a joke :(
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The questionite exchange was never intended to be a reliable alternative to paying actual money for ZEN. Anyone who thinks that it should be or that they're entitled the luxury of getting free ZEN without expecting any kind of setback needs a wake-up call. It should also be made obvious with the fact that there's a daily refinement cap for questionite.

It's a business that they're running, not a charity. If you don't want to go through lots of questionite farming over a prolonged period of time just to get enough ZEN to buy whatever it is you want from the Z-store, then pony up the cash.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    You know why CO is on the verge of death? It's people like yourself, driving away potential new gamers with their inappropriate behaviour. You should just cut it out once and for all, it does not make you anymore special than the other people, neither does it make you seem cool or intelligent. What you are achieveing is getting people to really dislike you/your attitude and opinions. It is the tone that makes the music after all. You think you know it all, where in reality you are nothing but a very delusional person living in their own "CO-world". Open your eyes, see the facts and stop acting as if you were something better than the rest of us.

Thank you very much..

tactless as she is, Spinny does have a point. You are getting the zen for FREE by playing the game.
    You are not having to pay any real money for it. The person who has the zen has already done that.

Why are people, complaining about other people who are paying for it, ALSO wanting to get the most for their half of the bargain .
    Are only the people buying zen of the exchange allowed to get a good deal?

You want the exchange rate to go down, tell Cryptic to stop making lockboxes, putting items/having sales in the zen store and drifter store. less reason to get zen.

tell people to stop farming - purple reign, subzero hero and all the rampages. Less Q to go on the market.
    After a few months it will go down.

The last time it got to 200 was I think just before christmas event, because we had a long break between lockboxes and events.
    exactly what facts are you referring to? since you didn't mention it.
    game dying- lets see- minimal updates,

oh yes and then we have;

people in zone going on for hours, literally;
    about how bad the game is
    how badly treated the players are,
    how Gold players are elitist jerks,
    how gimped the AT's are...
    (and you think this doesn't put people off)

Me, I just listen, put a point in occasionally and write down their @handles .

• Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I have to agree to this.

If anything, the higher the Q rate is for Zen the more people will be willing to spend money on the game. The better the game does.

If this attests to anything, there should be more high priced, non-vehicle items in the Q store for people to spend on. And those items need to be exceptional.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The problem with Q-store items is that there's no consumables.

To keep Q's value in check, there must be some kind of perpetual Q sink. Be it limited charge items, triumphant recoverys, maybe expensive becomes with limited uses. Otherwise everything in the Q store is buy once and last forever, there's no reason to spend Q after the initial hurdle.

The same could be said for G really. Millions of G being farmed since Vehicles 2.0 and no G sink, and look at key prices now.

In the long run, CO's economy is unsustainable. Z is going to keep rising in value because people are going to keep generating ingame currencies and there's nothing to take that out of the economy.

You actually do want ingame currencies to hold some value for a healthy game too. Remember that free players pay with time. If their time buys nothing of value, it hurts retention rate.
  • Options
    gemini2099gemini2099 Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    The problem with Q-store items is that there's no consumables.

To keep Q's value in check, there must be some kind of perpetual Q sink. Be it limited charge items, triumphant recoverys, maybe expensive becomes with limited uses. Otherwise everything in the Q store is buy once and last forever, there's no reason to spend Q after the initial hurdle.

The same could be said for G really. Millions of G being farmed since Vehicles 2.0 and no G sink, and look at key prices now.

In the long run, CO's economy is unsustainable. Z is going to keep rising in value because people are going to keep generating ingame currencies and there's nothing to take that out of the economy.

You actually do want ingame currencies to hold some value for a healthy game too. Remember that free players pay with time. If their time buys nothing of value, it hurts retention rate.

This is a good post.

Questionite in game has little value so people just dump it. People say the rule of thumb is 300 questionite or under per zen but I would argue 350 questonite or under per zen is a better guideline given the proliferation of lockboxes.

There also has to be something to spend G on as well as Unity and Until recognition.
    Gemini - Lvl 4x - Soldier
    Omicron - Lvl 4x - Mind
    Emerald Myst - Lvl 2x - Claws/Fighting Hybrid
    Epsilon - Lvl 2x - Blade
    Asterius - Lvl 1x - Electric/Void Hybrid

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Stop touching my 2 Million Questionites!
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Stop touching my 2 Million Questionites!

But you touching by yourself. o3o
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If you don't find Q worthwhile, then don't farm Q. Problem solved.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's all based on the Community and the people with a lot of Zen!

The Hearstring Lockbox, the Vehicle 2.0 Update and the Foxbat Lockbox didn't helped since it Inflated the prices without leaving it free space to get back!

Save your Questionite and don't buy Zen with it! the prices will eventually go back... except if we get ANOTHER lockbox which means ANOTHER inflation

I actually do! I found out my Country has PaySafe cards which Cryptic and PWE Support in Micropayment :D

Thank you very much..

Well the game needs money to live after all (money which goes to STO and NEW HOORAY)

I agree with the stereotype of "OH YOU DON'T PAY MONEY ON THIS GAME! YOU ARE LEECHER AGHASDBFHSDGFHB" or the "You are not Subscriber? You are useless to the game" some people and ****ed up Individuals have <_< (Believe me I have come across those Individuals, THOSE makes the game unfriendly)

Spinnytop just makes a point, he is NOT like that! :U
    If you don't find Q worthwhile, then don't farm Q. Problem solved.

You can always farm Q for other reasons :U (a few Costume pieces, Vigilante Gear, Pathetic Vehicle Mark weapons)
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well the game needs money to live after all (money which goes to STO and NEW HOORAY)
    Try again, maybe one day you will get it right.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    *poke poke* nope wasn't me.

Selphea,
    good point. Can you put that in the suggestions and the PTS areas.
    with the rampages, the Triumphant recovery packs should sell well from the q store as opposed to the overpriced ones from the zen store.

so;

triumphant recovery packs,
    energy recharge
    health packs

what else could we get in?

• Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Try again, maybe one day you will get it right.

I beg your Pardon?
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I personally think the Q exchange has went a bit crazy . I good I don't really want any the new stuff and have no need to grind for Q :P
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    embracemysword blithers:

You know why CO is on the verge of death? It's people like yourself, driving away potential new gamers with their inappropriate behaviour.

This is a myth based on zero factual information. It's really boring hearing this argument that's been pulled out of people's rumps all the time. It's HIGHLY unlikely that anyone's message board behavior here is having ANY affect on sales one way or another. What kind of a moron bases their gameplay on "there was some negative talk on their boards"? There's ALWAYS negative talk on message boards. It's what humans do best, complain.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is a myth based on zero factual information. It's really boring hearing this argument that's been pulled out of people's rumps all the time. It's HIGHLY unlikely that anyone's message board behavior here is having ANY affect on sales one way or another. What kind of a moron bases their gameplay on "there was some negative talk on their boards"? There's ALWAYS negative talk on message boards. It's what humans do best, complain.

The same morons who think an MMO can stay supported with no cash influx. The same morons who hear one bad review of a new MMO and then say it sucks. The same moron who bases how fun a game is/will be by who developed it.

I'd say it's that kind of moron who would follow what they hear on a message board.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    *poke poke* nope wasn't me.

Selphea,
    good point. Can you put that in the suggestions and the PTS areas.
    with the rampages, the Triumphant recovery packs should sell well from the q store as opposed to the overpriced ones from the zen store.

so;

triumphant recovery packs,
    energy recharge
    health packs

what else could we get in?

Done: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=4091531

Please support this if you feel strongly about it, and remember that this actually affects pricing in the Q-store too. In the beginning, 150k to 200k was considered an exorbitant price. Now, vehicle weapons are priced at 295k and R2 weapons were bumped in price. That's a sign of inflation.

I believe prices at the top end will always be pegged to Zen to make sure they don't get too cheap for us, so the main effect of Q inflation is that Q items will get harder to farm by ingame means.
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    joybuzzerx enumerates:

The same morons who think an MMO can stay supported with no cash influx. The same morons who hear one bad review of a new MMO and then say it sucks. The same moron who bases how fun a game is/will be by who developed it.

I'd say it's that kind of moron who would follow what they hear on a message board.

So, your basic, garden variety moron, then. Got it. :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    So, your basic, garden variety moron, then. Got it. :biggrin:

hmm, sounds like my younger brother except I know he's more interested in his race car, full size not scale model

• Options
    jamezilla1986jamezilla1986 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hey there, guys. Is it easy to earn decent amounts of Questionite? I want to exchange it for Zen, since I can't really afford to buy Zen. Is it relatively quick, or is it pretty slow?
  • Options
    arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hey there, guys. Is it easy to earn decent amounts of Questionite? I want to exchange it for Zen, since I can't really afford to buy Zen. Is it relatively quick, or is it pretty slow?

It gets easier once you've got a higher level toon but, you've still got the fact that you can only refine a max of 10k Q per day per toon limiting how much you can exchange at a time. I just looked at the current exchange rate which is between 300 and 400 questionite per zen which means that you'll be able to earn between 33 and 25 zen per day per toon so, someone that only has two character slots would be able to earn enough zen to get a costume set about once every other week if they max their Q every day.
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The refining rate is 8000 per day actually. Double if you are a lifetime sub or hit the 1000 day veteran perk. That rate is also per character, so if you have time to invest and multiple characters, you can make some decent amount of Q.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• Options
    sannia1sannia1 Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's the players. I play both this game and STO, which has an identical setup. However, their exchange is much more stable. By "stable" I mean that the Buy Price and the Sell Price are only 1 off from each other and might go up or down by at most 5 in a day. While they do have more sinks, and don't have an equivolent of a Q crate, my observation is that the CO population doesn't understand economics.

Speculation is fundimentally about price correction. Basically, there is a natural rate that prices naturally settle over time, and you make profit by pushing prices towards that natural rate. The problem in this game is that there are so many people with schemes trying to manipulate the whole market...they lose each time, but it usually takes a day for the market to recover.