test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

You have been banned

kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
So... Yeah. Apparently, I've been banned for foul language. Is there any way I can appeal the ban or is this completely permanent? Because I have sunk quite a bit of money into my account and I had a lifetime account.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ...What is this Club Penguin?

Erm, you might want to PM TT directly on this. <_< It sounds, really off. Like, can you not log on at all? Or is it just a chat ban style?
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    ...What is this Club Penguin?

Erm, you might want to PM TT directly on this. <_< It sounds, really off. Like, can you not log on at all? Or is it just a chat ban style?

I can't log in whatsoever. I've tried to log in and I've gotten a message saying that I've been banned.
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kemmicals wrote: »
    I can't log in whatsoever. I've tried to log in and I've gotten a message saying that I've been banned.

Damn, you musta fudged up bad. <_< Yeah, I'd PM TT on an inquiry to that. Not much help we can do here.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Craaap... I would really hate to lose my ability to play CO after I sunk in the money for a lifetime sub. :/
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Craaap... I would really hate to lose my ability to play CO after I sunk in the money for a lifetime sub. :/

It's likely that it's a temporary ban. Cryptic seems notorious for not telling you the length of your ban.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I would be surprised if you get a permanent ban for foul language. Unless it something really really over the top.
    Best bet to is contact CS for clarification.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Seriously whats the point of swear filter these days. Hey they should ban Gravitar she swears all the time.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Have you considered making a secondary silver account? You could make one and attemp to log in. If it still says you are banned, that might indicate an isp ban, and that could be trouble. If you can log in w/ it, then what Biff said. It's probably temporary.

Look at this way, if by some small % it is permanent, it's likely a misunderstanding and you know we'll make a fuss about it, so there's that.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I see GM Joffrey has struck again.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    Seriously whats the point of swear filter these days.

Agreed.

Isn't the whole point of a filter to allow those offended by, "foul," language to avoid it without impacting anyone else ?

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Fun fact: in game, 132 is censored.

I don't know why, it just is.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    viivsyn2viivsyn2 Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So... Yeah. Apparently, I've been banned for foul language. Is there any way I can appeal the ban or is this completely permanent? Because I have sunk quite a bit of money into my account and I had a lifetime account.

i'm pretty sure its only a temp ban.. after all look how many times luci has come back

also yeah i agree about if theres a chat filter we should be allowed to swear

and.. gravitar says the B word and lapis lazuli says you're P'ing her off.. so why can the NPCs get away with it and we cannot?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bluhman wrote: »

I'm gona guess its some kind of obscure internet thing like 1337 speak

132 would be Lez I would guess is Lez profanity? (honestly I have no idea what is and isn't these days)
  • Options
    drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    Seriously whats the point of swear filter these days.

At least it isn't as bad as PWI. Any word you say that has a swear word in it, it's filtered. Like grasshopper, because it has the "a-word" in it, it's a bad word apparently.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    drgmstr wrote: »
    At least it isn't as bad as PWI. Any word you say that has a swear word in it, it's filtered. Like grasshopper, because it has the "a-word" in it, it's a bad word apparently.
    They used to be that bad here. I couldn't make one character I wanted, an insane vampire named the Nightwatch (based on a Malkavian I made once in Vampire: the Masquerade - he was convinced he had been Embraced so he could be <strike pose> a superhero!!), because of course there's a naughty word hidden in the middle of that. I checked recently, and now it's okay.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bluhman wrote: »

According to UrbanDictionary.com:
    132 is short for "F*** you" derived from the way one can count in ten fingers in binary. If you assign your digits from your thumb to your pinky 1, 2, 4, 8 and 16 on one hand and then 32, 64, 128, 256 and 512 on the other hand then the number 132 would be displayed using both middle fingers exclusively.

"And then he picked up the last copy off the shelf so I gave him 132."
    Sounds pretty spurious to me, but there it is.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    They used to be that bad here. I couldn't make one character I wanted, an insane vampire named the Nightwatch (based on a Malkavian I made once in Vampire: the Masquerade - he was convinced he had been Embraced so he could be <strike pose> a superhero!!), because of course there's a naughty word hidden in the middle of that. I checked recently, and now it's okay.

<grin>

My PnP gaming group played some VtM for a while. Everyone else tried to outdo each other as to how much angst they could cram into their backstory/roleplay so I decided to make characters who considered their existence a gift. "You mean that I am going to stay young forever, totally be a chick magnet, have super powers, and so on....what are the rest of you whining about ?!?!"

• Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Agreed.

Isn't the whole point of a filter to allow those offended by, "foul," language to avoid it without impacting anyone else ?

No, the use of a profanity filter is not to the point to allow people to go off on adolescent tirades in some attempt to think it's smart, wit or anything of that nature, not to mention used to use slurs, racial comments or anything deemed offensive. A few swear words, fine, but if you can't go 2 words without an F bomb, then you need to seek counseling honestly.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    viivsyn2 wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure its only a temp ban.. after all look how many times luci has come back

also yeah i agree about if theres a chat filter we should be allowed to swear

and.. gravitar says the B word and lapis lazuli says you're P'ing her off.. so why can the NPCs get away with it and we cannot?

Not to sound like a shill or captain of the cryptic defense cheerleader squad(because I'm neither, the pay is crap), but it's because Cryptic has carte blanche on this sort of thing. If they feel one of their NPC's requires dialog that includes the use of some light swearing for narrative purposes then that NPC gets to have some spicy dialog. As long as it falls within what's allowed by the game's ESRB rating. Players don't get to enjoy the same freedom of vocabulary.

While we do have a mature language filter, it isn't a license to ensure we can swear however we'd like. Occasional swearing tends to fly under the radar because rarely does anyone complain about that sort of thing. Then again, it doesn't have to be a player reporting you that gets you hit with a ban. If one of our easily offended GMs happens to be around when a word they don't like is used, you're screwed.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited March 2014
    What if i say "giving away 132 lockboxes" ?
  • Options
    viivsyn2viivsyn2 Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    r9xchaos wrote: »
    What if i say "giving away 132 lockboxes" ?

is there something i'm missing? is 132 an offensive term? is it some sorta "position" like 69?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    viivsyn2 wrote: »
    is there something i'm missing? is 132 an offensive term? is it some sorta "position" like 69?

If you read what jonsills posted about the term it is the middle finger when counting in binary with your fingers.

AKA nerds.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    No, the use of a profanity filter is not to the point to allow people to go off on adolescent tirades in some attempt to think it's smart, wit or anything of that nature, not to mention used to use slurs, racial comments or anything deemed offensive.

That is not what I said.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    ashensnow wrote: »
    That is not what I said.

Generally what people mean, and usually all things considered, the only way to be banned for language is to either be using hostile personal attacks/threats or racial slurs and with regular frequency not a simple isolated incident of just using F bombs.

In short there is more going on that, as usual, are typically not said.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think better understanding of the situation is needed. In what way was foul language being used?

Obviously if it was intentionally used to rile people up or in an argument in zone chat then that would maximize your chances of getting a ban.

If it was just used casually or humorously without any intention to incite a negative response, then the GM needs to take it down a notch.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Generally what people mean, and usually all things considered, the only way to be banned for language is to either be using hostile personal attacks/threats or racial slurs and with regular frequency not a simple isolated incident of just using F bombs.

In short there is more going on that, as usual, are typically not said.

Even though it really was just me dropping an F-bomb and getting banned for it. No malice was intended in its use at all. On the bright side, it was only a temp ban and I am glad that the GM at the time was very quick about it.
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I sort of see it like, if you've got a profanity filter- then you won't see profanity.

At the same time, no one should be like- swearing enough for it to warrant reporting.

Also, if you're reporting someone for swearing- and you have your profanity filter off, I'm fairly convinced you're being malicious and childish.

You can also say it's 'for the children', but at the same time if your children are playing the game then turn the profanity filter on. And stop letting little kids play on the internet without supervision.
  • Options
    wimpazoidwimpazoid Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You should check your email for more information on the length of your ban.
    You may also contact support via email from your account's registered email address at customerservice@perfectworld.com

If you attempt to contact CS from any other address but your registered one for a ban inquiry, you will be directed to resubmit your request through your registered account.

This info is from NW's forums, since they are handing out bans at the moment.
  • Options
    crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    In my personal experiences(without specifics) you should expect the following.

1. There will be no email.
    2. There will be no notification beyond what you see attempting to log into the game.
    3. A Support ticket is cute but if it's a 24 hour suspension(learn terminology please CS) then you won't even hear a reply before it's over.
    4. The chat filter does not void the TOS or your liability there within.
    5. There will be no clarification on the issue if you request it.
    6. If it's a 24 hour suspension they will consider the issue "solved" by the time they reply to you because you can play again.
    7. It doesn't even matter if you actually did this or not.

I hope this helps...but I seriously doubt it will. The system(and CS as a whole) could stand an upgrade in their practices to the mid-90s. :wink:

P.S. It's Friday, you're not going to hear back from CS, if it happens to be a more serious situation, this weekend. Current reply speed appears to be 6 days...IF you are very lucky.

Disclaimer: All of this is from experience. It is possible your experience may vary and someone will chime in here about how they got amazing CS in 2 hours or something. I envy those people.
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Not to sound like a shill or captain of the cryptic defense cheerleader squad(because I'm neither, the pay is crap), but it's because Cryptic has carte blanche on this sort of thing.

I doubt that, honestly. I think it's more because the writers/designers aren't familiar with the filter. They type in the dialogue, and the NPCs even get censored. I know Gravitar does, and in one instance Defender says "damn" and it gets filtered.

I don't think they're trying to bend the rules at all.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    gingervitosgingervitos Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Captain Butthurt strikes again. For almost as long as I can remember Miss Behaving has had a randomly occurring potty mouth. Nothing major nothing offensive. I always have my profanity filter on so none of this really bothered me. Also if the littlest neko's tendency to swear didn't bother Pendragon or Stormshade why does it bother Navi so? I think Navi hates girls. He seems to banhammer them the most. I'm starting to think he is from Saudi Arabia.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    crosschan wrote: »
    Disclaimer: All of this is from experience. It is possible your experience may vary and someone will chime in here about how they got amazing CS in 2 hours or something. I envy those people.

Funnily enough, I did get a response pretty quickly. I was pretty impressed with all the CS horror stories in mind.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I doubt that, honestly. I think it's more because the writers/designers aren't familiar with the filter. They type in the dialogue, and the NPCs even get censored. I know Gravitar does, and in one instance Defender says "damn" and it gets filtered.

I don't think they're trying to bend the rules at all.

Thats the text only. You still hear them swear. There is at least half a dozen occasions I know of where NPC's have a potty mouth. Also this is a teen rated game swearing shouldn't be an issue.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Funnily enough, I did get a response pretty quickly. I was pretty impressed with all the CS horror stories in mind.

What was the deal with it? Someone being petty? They're supposed to show you what got you banned.
  • Options
    chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've only got one thing to say... Censorship is bad mmmkay
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    What was the deal with it? Someone being petty? They're supposed to show you what got you banned.

Hello

The account has been warned previously regarding such language.

The account is currently suspended for 24 hours.

You can log back into the account after a full 24 hour suspension has been served.

It was more of an automated response more than anything. But, they are right. I did receive a warning prior to this. I'm going to assume I was shooting my mouth off at the wrong time and got the hammer brought down on me.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Hello

You can log back into the account after a full 24 hour suspension has been served.

It was more of an automated response more than anything. But, they are right. I did receive a warning prior to this. I'm going to assume I was shooting my mouth off at the wrong time and got the hammer brought down on me.

Still it begs the question if they don't like swears in their TEEN RATED game why do you have the option to turn the profanity filter off? Why not keep the filter on with no options to turn it off. Then we could all drop F'bombs whenever and no one would care...but that sounds like a sensible idea and thats not Cryptics style.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm gona guess its some kind of obscure internet thing like 1337 speak

132 would be Lez I would guess is Lez profanity? (honestly I have no idea what is and isn't these days)

Yeah, I'm starting to lose track of what's profanity as well. It seems like someone's always offended by any old random word now. For example, "bossy" is the new poster boy word in the news recently.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Hello

Insanity.

I got a warning 2 years ago for profanity. After that, like almost a year and a half later? I got a THREE DAY BAN.

And it wasn't profanity, I referenced 'balls'.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Insanity.

I got a warning 2 years ago for profanity. After that, like almost a year and a half later? I got a THREE DAY BAN.

And it wasn't profanity, I referenced 'balls'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PbE3k9LG9A
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Words with vowels offend the crap out of me. I use them because it's only offensive if I observe other people using them.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    s****** gets censored in CO.even on the forums apparently ....snig ger(thats the word)
    **** does but I don't think arse does.

american spelling vs english spelling
    also donkey vs rear end (no that isn't a straight line for you to use)
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    drgmstr wrote: »

Now I'm curious...

Does it blank-out the whole word, as in, ***********, of does is just remove the swear parts, meaning - gr***hopper?
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    According to UrbanDictionary.com:

Sounds pretty spurious to me, but there it is.

It's a whole lot easier to just censor oneself.

Like the way Stephen Colbert does it.

Anyone else having a 4th grade flash back? :biggrin:

Edit - Is is just me or does this cartoon look like it should have been better censored.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    *cracks knuckles*

Are you still banned. Or does Caliga have to fly into STO and fight an entire fleet for you, to show them your frustration?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    xcaligax wrote: »
    *cracks Knuckles*

Are You Still Banned. Or Does Caliga Have To Fly Into Sto And Fight An Entire Fleet For You, To Show Them Your Frustration?

Red Alert!
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    go annoy Q, he hasn't been beaten so badly since Q-in Law(novel)
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This sort of ban should only be a 24 hour one unless you have been banned before. However saying that it is very rare for them to ban you right away without a warning for something like this. Unless you had a lot of reports come in and the swearing was being used to harass someone I suppose.

The thing is there is infact a filter for a reason unless you were getting around this. I could see a warning being viable but going right to a ban is a little harsh.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Getting Suspended for Swearing?

Gimmie a Break! What is this? Did Champions Online became Club Penguin out of the Sudden? :mad:

We have a Filter system for a reasons to protect the "innocent young" genaration of players (actually scrap that, the filter systerm is buggy as hell, it will Censor stuff that is not ever offensive and it keeps going On even if you set it Off)

I got myself warned from the current active In-Game GM, becauce I used the F-word in Zone chat once :confused: I mean... really? Putting pepper in mouth for swearing?

One of my Friend said that he got warned for Swearing... while he was chatting in a PRIVATE-CHATROOM, which makes me wonder how "Private stuff" are.
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Yea, sorry avianos, but your argument really doesn't hold up. Try swearing like that in any public place vocally you will probably be getting visited by the police and cited as disturbing the peace. Try to swear like that in a court of law and you could get cited for contempt and spend the night in jail.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
This discussion has been closed.