test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Looking for Mecha Build Suggestions

lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Power Discussion
Hello All,

I want to build a "Mecha" character (think Robotech and Voltron). I've got the appearance worked out (basically using a customized variant of the Sakura Mecha Armor). It isn't meant to specifically be a Robotech or Voltron, just inspired by...

It doesn't have to be a min/max build, I'm thinking theme is more important, but I would like it not to totally stink while I'm playing alerts and whatnot.

The build should include rifle powers (Particle Rifle, Pulse Beam Rifle) and some sort of sword. I've used the former in other builds, but not really familiar with swords. Do I go "bladed" or "laser sword" (I'm guessing the latter)?

Other powers to consider might be Gauntlet Chainsaw, Tractor Beam, Targeting Computer, etc. but I'm not sold on these. In general, open to suggestions, please.

Thanks in advance.
jIBJh7X.jpg
When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How do you feel about Heavy Weapons? While I don't have much experience with the mecha genre, I always picture the slower, more powerful animations of HW rather than Dual/Single Blades or Laser Sword when I think of one. Also, there are two easily obtained weapon skins for HW, one sword and one axe, that look pretty cool when colored appropriately and placed in the hands of a skilled pilot.

Also, what role do you like playing? 'None' is an acceptable answer, but I didn't know if you were looking for a specific task for this toon.

If you're open to the HW route, I made a quick & dirty run at a solo build, survivable but with damage capabilities:

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: Mechanized
    Level 6: Covert Ops Training
    Level 9: Coordinated
    Level 12: Healthy Mind
    Level 15: Impresario
    Level 18: Negotiator
    Level 21: Quick Recovery

Powers:
    Level 1: Particle Rifle
    Level 1: Pulse Beam Rifle (Rank 2, Finite Improbability Engine)
    Level 6: Cleave (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Guard
    Level 17: Form of the Tempest
    Level 20: Eruption (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Decimate
    Level 26: Lock N Load (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 35: Chest Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38:

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Rocket Jump (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Jet Pack (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Power Swell (2/2)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

Notes:

- Invulnerability because it's good, it solos easily, and what's more invulnerable than someone inside a giant robot? There's also no good way to mix the two attack types I picked with an offensive passive; you could go with Laser Sword powers and then use Electric Form, but I like the feel of HW better, as stated earlier.
    - PBR is your main single target killer, which you can start at range.
    - Cleave takes care of AoE; the main drawback is that you can't nuke trash mobs at range, but Cleave is great in close.
    - Chest Beam for theme and for the debuff.
    - Eruption has a nice short cool down and does pretty decent damage. If you mix it in with your lunge and Conviction, you should fuel MSA pretty steadily.
    - Since you're not only combining ranged and melee, but also Particle and Physical damage, I decided to go for crits as the main source of offensive improvement. So I picked SS DEX, which has a good tree and a good Form. You'll only get half the bonus on PBR, but it's still pretty good. Building FotT to 8 stacks is cake with a good maintain.
    - Maybe gear a smidge for EGO and STR if you wanted to, skewing towards whatever you ended up using more (PBR or your HW attacks).
    - As I said, I'm not very knowledgeable about the genre, so I don't know what Robotech is like (just looked at an image on google; pretty cool actually) and really only remember what Voltron looks like. So, I left the L38 power and 4 advantage points open for something thematic, depending on your Mecha. Possibilities:

* Another Active Offense/Defense, maybe
    * Gauntlet Chainsaw or Tractor Beam, as you suggested
    * Experimental Burst Ray is not a great endgame power, but it would serve useful in taking out trash mobs from distance while leveling, and uses the rifle skin
    * Energy Wave with Reverse Polarity advantage looks cool and would round up baddies for your Cleave; it's pretty Energy hungry, though
    * Another clickie with short cooldown to help MSA (Energy Wave fits that mold, or something else that would fit your theme)

Any of those could work. Main reason I didn't even try to put Gauntlet Chainsaw or Tractor Beam in is just a personal beef; you can't recolor them, so unless your mecha is grey & orange (GC) or yellow (TB), they won't look very good. I realize not everyone is as finicky as I am, though.

Didn't mean to novelize, but this one got me thinking. Could be fun to play!

EDIT: Forgot the specs the first time. I spec'd heavily for offense, and probably made it even more valuable to use PBR; two of the spec choices add stacking effects (Find the Mark, Expose Weakness), which really shine with maintains.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for posting the build Jonesing4! Surprisingly this last couple of days I had a lot of time to play my new mech character, Daimechto. I'm mostly following your build, I'm up to the high-teen levels now, and it's been a lot of fun. I've made a few changes/tweaks, but I don't happen to have my character sheet with me at the moment. I'll get that posted when I get a chance.

Thanks again!
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for posting the build Jonesing4! Surprisingly this last couple of days I had a lot of time to play my new mech character, Daimechto. I'm mostly following your build, I'm up to the high-teen levels now, and it's been a lot of fun. I've made a few changes/tweaks, but I don't happen to have my character sheet with me at the moment. I'll get that posted when I get a chance.

Thanks again!

Glad to hear it, hope it continues to be fun!