test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The CON stat: Why it's currently unbalanced and what to do about it.

gradiigradii Posts: 11,716 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Suggestions Box
Currently, CON is a little TOO valuable, due to how darn squishy you are without it. IMO CON should be something not so necessary for survival, even on an offensive or support passive.

Many builds simply have no room for a con stat, and we've seen how overblown the price for CON mods is on AH.

CON is simply TOO good now because of the HUGE difference it makes in survival when you have it.

I'm going to restate a suggestion made by Shadowzero666, because I think its a good one.

Nerf the amount of HP CON gives you per point down to around 10-12HP per point from 15, and raise the base HP by around 2k (I'd suggest 2.5k)

this makes CON still highly desirable for tanks, while making hybrid builds far easier to make viable due to less need to sacrifice a stat slot for CON.

with the base HP raised, people will be encouraged to try new combinations and diversify their builds away from the almighty CON stat.

The point of this thread is not to make CON less desirable OVERALL but rather to close the gap of survivability between CON and non CON builds. Nerfing juggernaut and Nimble mind is the NEAR OPPOSITE of the kind of thing I'd like to achieve with this actually.
Post edited by gradii on

Comments

• Options
    cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    Currently, CON is a little TOO valuable, due to how darn squishy you are without it. IMO CON should be something not so necessary for survival, even on an offensive or support passive.

Many builds simply have no room for a con stat, and we've seen how overblown the price for CON mods is on AH.

CON is simply TOO good now because of the HUGE difference it makes in survival when you have it.

I'm going to restate a suggestion made by Shadowzero666, because I think its a good one.

Nerf the amount of HP CON gives you per point down to around 10-12HP per point from 15, and raise the base HP by around 2k (I'd suggest 2.5k)

this makes CON still highly desirable for tanks, while making hybrid builds far easier to make viable due to less need to sacrifice a stat slot for CON.

with the base HP raised, people will be encouraged to try new combinations and diversify their builds away from the almighty CON stat.

CON? What's that? *checks his builds* Yup..only two characters out of three pages use CON. Pointless stat in my opinion. Let's get rid of it all together. :biggrin:
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Con has a huge appeal outside of more HP.

Nimble mind. Con basically lets you have high crit chance with no need to bother with dex.

Juggernaut. Con gives you not only HP, but tons of defense. Which gives you tons of offense because warden / guardian + vind.

I am skeptical that having Con give less HP will reduce the popularity of it.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't see any need to change CON. I have some toons that use it. I have some toons that don't. All fair well.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    you need to see the HUGE difference CON makes in survival.

the base HP is too low. and CON is therefore too desirable, people feel obligated to use it because lets face it, high CON toons live longer than low CON ones with similar builds.

buffing the base HP and nerfing CON's HP gain slightly solves this issue.

I don't see a HUGE difference in survival between characters with CON and characters without. Also. I'm going to request that this thread be moved to Suggestions Box.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    the point here isnt to reduce its popularity, but rather to increase the odds of survival without it, while bringing high CON builds more in line with low CON ones.

the suggestion is in 2 parts one should never be implemented without the other.

Nerf CON's HP and give the base HP a boost.

You said Con is too valuable. Con's value has far less to do with gobs of HP than the powers and specs that are enhanced by it. The AH prices reflect the value of Con due to things that have nothing to do with HP.

I seriously doubt this suggestion will encourage diversity in builds.

That doesn't mean I think this is a good or bad idea, it means that the goals and reason you give are questionable.
  • Options
    thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

How does decreasing the usefulness of Con as a stat make non Con builds more survivable? I mean you're not asking to nerf Con AND the mobs ingame, just Con so...everyone dies easier then?

Con is a particularly useful stat, but its not the be all and end all of statting.
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The main reasons why people take con is not the hp actually, you can survive just fine with low hp, you just got to pay attention to the fight you are in. Though I am in all favor of raising base hp up, but there is no need to nerf con the stat, but rather, nerf the things that feed off of con. You know, the things that use con like Nimble Mind and Juggernaut. By nerfing those, you'll find the results that you are looking for, but a nerf to con will not net you the results you are looking for.
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If you choose yourself to be squishy, nothing are wrong. :P

I wish END and REC fix more better rather then CON nerf.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    actually I wouldn't want those nerfed.

The point of this thread is not to make CON less desirable OVERALL but rather to close the gap of survivability between CON and non CON builds. Nerfing juggernaut and Nimble mind is the NEAR OPPOSITE of the kind of thing I'd like to achieve with this actually.

Still not seeing what you're going on about with survivability. I run a Lightning Reflexes character with base HP (4,955) and no BCR/RR in the mix and do surprisingly well. The character even uses Fluidity for the block replacer. So again. I don't know why you think Con is needed to survive.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I do not agree that Con is necessary for survival. Con is one type of defense that can be neglected in favor of other options.

I am unconvinced that a build with no Con is less survivable simply because it has no Con. Survival depends on how you create your build.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    Survival depends on how you create your build.

Survival also depends on your own player skill.
    Block, activating insta-defense power, movement, etc...
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It shouldn't give a flat amount as it increases, it NEEDS deminishing returns as every other stat other than recovery and endurance. Soft cap at 200 and hard cap at 300, surely.

The fact is you can hit more DPS having a lot of CON than you can without any CON at all just because of nimble mind / strength primary with guardian and warden.

All of those are some of the most broken things in CO currently.

By nerfing CON by adding deminishing returns onto it oddly enough you may make getting hp in other ways slightly more viable. For example pure strength and strength primary or getting health by endurance primary. :)

Also as jewel said, survival can by done by LOS as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    o0320024010537412190.gif

DO NOT TELL THE TRUTH BEFORE Rampage Revamp! COME ON LIVE OR IF WE GOT CON NERF FIRST WE ALL DOOOOO000000oooMED. o3o
  • Options
    quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm not sure that nerfing Con would go over very well at this point. It would be a big change that would negatively impact a lot of people. I think players get tired of retconing/regearing due to so many nerfs.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • Options
    notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The only real CON survival gap to speak of comes into play when you try to make a def tank, without CON it's dead meat, with CON it can take on the world (usually), other than that CON doesn't really do that much for survivability, after all, you can have all the HP in the world but it won't matter one bit if you lack actual defense or dodge/avoidance as attacks will just cut you in half.
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    try running that character with AoPM or WoTW

And why would they do that?
    After all, it's not what their build was made for, it was made to use LR so they use LR, if they were going to use WoTW or AoPM then they would have built for that instead of being built for LR.
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I do have characters with base hp with AoPM and WoTW, they do just fine in the survival
    department.

Especially the AoPM toon. The one with WoTW kills to quickly to be in much danger.
  • Options
    purin1purin1 Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    In my opinion, the problem is that CON is the best option to take for the second or third superstat most of the time. When making a build, both damage and energy management can be taken care of with one's primary superstat and power selection. This means he or she can ignore energy-related stats for the most part, critical-related stats, and melee/ranged damage-related stats. So the clear option here is to pick CON for extra survivability since your damage or energy are already in the point of DR's. There is just no real reason NOT to have CON in a build at this point since it is too easy to obtain damage and energy.

When we were only able to pick two superstats, we had to pick 2 out of 3 from damage, energy, and survivability (in loose terms, of course). There is much more wiggle room now.
    I strive to be the strongest swordsman alive.
  • Options
    bravehoptoadbravehoptoad Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    quasimojo1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that nerfing Con would go over very well at this point. It would be a big change that would negatively impact a lot of people. I think players get tired of retconing/regearing due to so many nerfs.

A lot of people aren't understanding what he's saying. If you nerf the HP bonus of CON, but raise the base HP, then it wouldn't negatively inpact anyone. Anyone at all. It would just give non-CON builds more relative HP.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I still agree with this idea. Close the HP gap a bit. Squishy toons do not do enough damage to justify how squishy they are in relation to tanks, considering the amount of damage that tanks can do. Shadowzero666 had a really good idea here.

Let's all keep in mind that this isn't actually a nerf suggestion. This is an adjustment suggestion. Tanks would still have as many HP as they do now more or less, only some of the more extreme examples might see lower numbers; squishy toons would just have a few more without having to stat Con.

This would help all those squishy no-Con Archetypes that people are always complaining about.

SIDENOTE: Hey Gradii, how's it feel to have people freaking out at you for suggesting a "nerf" that's not really a nerf? :P
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    As I stated before, I'm all for raising the base hp. But the nerf to con is not needed, at least, not the hp lowered part, I say let us have all the hp in the world. :P

PS: A nerf is when the numbers on something goes down. Since the suggestion is to lower the amount of hp gained per point of CON, its technically a nerf. :P
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I still don't see a need for it. My non-CON toons are plenty survivable.

Example? I have an unconventional DEX/Ego/Int Ego-Blader with Seraphim as her passive that I proved to be plenty survivable even after the Dodge nerf. I know she can at least go toe-to-toe with a Resistance Mega-D Overseer and it's summoned twin.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,594 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'd at least like to see the devs address CON after they finish addressing INT.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Naw, the devs need to focus on Rec and End.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

You, of all people, should know that I can pull off those passives with ease and have no Con at all.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Leave CON alone.

Plus many don't even need it. Move along.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    'They're nerfing everything in the game!'

'Nerf CON!'

[Takes a shot.]
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I agree with CON being the "king of all stats" and for >80% of people in this game it's their #1 choice in mods, but nerfing CON has bad idea written all over it.

Like often is the case, your inexperience is showing Gradii/DaZee, and you're making sweeping calls for widespread nerfs without considering the ramifications or alternative methods.

We don't need more nerfs to balance things. What we need is give more options that promote build diversity. There's plenty of stats, powers, advantages, and specializations that need to be buffed and it would not be gamebreaking to do so.

Here's how to lessen CON's impact relatively speaking without applying any nerfs at all:
    • Allow Nimble Mind to scale on INT or EGO instead of (or perhaps in addition to) CON. Not only does match the namesake better, it also makes more sense for the ranged builds that would actually benefit more from the temporary boost to the EGO stat it comes with. And by the way, it was Ego Surge was nerfed already from being linear scaling to diminishing returns scaling. What I'm proposing is simply giving it other options to scale. And finally I'll add that this specific idea has been proposed before and received widespread support as a good compromise. Cryptic ignored the discussion, released the Avalanche (and its Incendary Rounds Mark 2) tank a week later.

• Lock n' Load, Immolation, Ice Sheath, etc. just don't match up to what Ego Surge's Nimble Mind does for criticals. It's not a nerf that's needed, it's more options. Less suck and more quality from the other active offenses, bring them up to par.

• Increase the HP base bonus you get from being in Tank role to something significantly more than what it is currently.

• Why should Enrage be the only toggle form to have a stack duration that scales up with a stat (and that stat is CON). Give the other forms (Focus, Compassion, Concentration, Manipulator) the ability to scale with a stat that's not CON. This too will dramatically reduce CON's emphasis by giving it competiting stats.

• Increase how much Growth Amulets give for an HP bonus when put on primary defense gear. HP bonuses on gear should be improved as well. This allows you find other ways to get higher hitpoints that has NOTHING to do with CON. Get your HP up to the level that works for your build and you might find it's much better to get something else other than CON as a stat. I know for my ranged and melee DPS characters, if their HP wasn't so low, if I could upgrade it, then I wouldn't even be looking at CON as a secondary stat.

• Get rid of the END stat, and merge its properties with REC. There should be ONE energy stat. How does this apply to CON you ask? Streamlining. END (like CO's HP bonus) is linear scaling for the bonus to max energy. Making REC a more appealing stat makes some competition for it being a primary or secondary superstat. It also gives an opportunity to re-invent the specializations for the newly merged REC stat. My recommendation? It's name is recovery right? It's specializations should make you recover faster. Faster energy regeneration, some minor but noteworthy health regen in combat, and being about to recover from being knocked faster (which is currently a spec only available in the CON primary stat's spec tree)

In conclusion, I doubt this topic will change things. But if it is being considered, the solutions offered above do a lot more to help the game than just hitting another stupid nerf to anger the playerbase. It's like getting inflation reducing your paycheck, you worked hard to just have your earning count for less and less each year. Enough with calls for nerfs, buff up the weakest links instead.

INT is fine. its END and REC which need to be looked at.

Finally something we can agree on. More specifically it makes no sense to have one stat that is connected to HP and two stats connected to different aspects of Energy. We need just one energy stat. (note: INT isn't so much energy as cost & cooldown redux, which is not the same thing. And INT strongly tied with toggle forms like Concentration and energy unlocks like MSA, which is essential to making many builds work that otherwise wouldn't have synergies to work well). And while you're at it, fix Overdrive so it's an equal competitor to MSA, using REC. (and if REC and END were merged, that'd make Overdrive much more appealing).
  • Options
    bravehoptoadbravehoptoad Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    soulforger wrote: »
    As I stated before, I'm all for raising the base hp. But the nerf to con is not needed, at least, not the hp lowered part, I say let us have all the hp in the world. :P

PS: A nerf is when the numbers on something goes down. Since the suggestion is to lower the amount of hp gained per point of CON, its technically a nerf. :P

It's not a nerf if your HP doesn't take a hit.
    ...and you're making sweeping calls for widespread nerfs without considering the ramifications or alternative methods.

It's not a nerf. See above.

Plus, what you're proposing is way more sweeping than anything gradii is asking for.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    With the upcome of the Rampage Revamp and the future Cheap 1-shots from Rampage alerts do you Really want that?
    I'm against Nerfing CON (because that's TOTALLY NERF and NOT balance)

I will Confess, ALL my FF character use CON as Secondary, reasons: Survibility and because I HATE getting 1-shot from bosses like Gravitar. The majority of my characters' HP don't go over 8000 HP, and one 3 are using Ego Surge + Adv, and one is using Spirit Reverberation an Energy Unlock which SCALES with CON

Leave CON alone, you know what we should ask, to boost some of the STAT Like ENDURANCE which I avoid like the Plague, I have Characters who use INT or REC, but NONE use END :|

REC and INT are SUPPERIOR to END which does not have many flexible Energy Unlocks which take advantage of it and NEED REC and INT to works
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hold up.

Stop bashing END.

By itself (without specs) yes I do agree it is lack lustre. But the spec system does redeem it somewhat.

I have a couple of toons who run with END PSS and do perfectly fine. Even one who DPS's with END PSS (single statter).

As for REC, again without it's respective specs it's a little lack lustre. But with it's specs it can be a great Primary Super Stat.

When you look at the spec trees for both, they have pretty good choices to make the spec worth while, in a similar manner to other specs like PRE/DEX/EGO/INT etc.

If END/REC were to be looked at, what would people suggest be added to them/ what properties would they absorb (perhaps from other stats) that will not conflict or "over power" their specs?

I will say this:

A few of my builds have used CON just because I don't like squishy characters (generally) and I like the "safety net" that a little bit of CON grants (especially when paired with END PSS).

It's not necessary for survival however. I run a toon with 4,474 HP and have very little problem doing Gravitar and I even ran Fire and Ice without much issue, provided I am focused on what I am doing and don't put myself in danger.

It does depend how your character is built and skill level, not to mention the content you are running.

Here's a thought: What about looking at Defense as a mechanic? Making it worthwhile like what has been done with Offense (from additive to multiplicative) would be a step towards people perhaps relying on CON less IF Defense was actually worthwhile (more so than it currently is perhaps).

(I realise this may make STR/CON combos that much more potent with regards Juggernaut, but Defense is an avenue which could be looked into)
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    I agree with CON being the "king of all stats" and for >80% of people in this game it's their #1 choice in mods, but nerfing CON has bad idea written all over it.

Whilst it is useful, it's "necessity" is being blown out of proportion here by the OP, plenty of players don't use it on every single build.
    Like often is the case, your inexperience is showing Gradii/DaZee, and you're making sweeping calls for widespread nerfs without considering the ramifications or alternative methods.

We don't need more nerfs to balance things. What we need is give more options that promote build diversity. There's plenty of stats, powers, advantages, and specializations that need to be buffed and it would not be gamebreaking to do so.

Agreed.

Allow Nimble Mind to scale on INT or EGO instead of (or perhaps in addition to) CON. Not only does match the namesake better, it also makes more sense for the ranged builds that would actually benefit more from the temporary boost to the EGO stat it comes with. And by the way, it was Ego Surge was nerfed already from being linear scaling to diminishing returns scaling. What I'm proposing is simply giving it other options to scale. And finally I'll add that this specific idea has been proposed before and received widespread support as a good compromise. Cryptic ignored the discussion, released the Avalanche (and its Incendary Rounds Mark 2) tank a week later.

Would say just EGO, since...Ego Surge...

Increase the HP base bonus you get from being in Tank role to something significantly more than what it is currently.

In addition, remove the dumb energy penalty Tank Roles have. It makes no sense, tanks mostly have to DPS/do high damage and hold threat against DPSers's generated threat. Having a normal Energy pool would help this.
    Increase how much Growth Amulets give for an HP bonus when put on primary defense gear. HP bonuses on gear should be improved as well. This allows you find other ways to get higher hitpoints that has NOTHING to do with CON. Get your HP up to the level that works for your build and you might find it's much better to get something else other than CON as a stat. I know for my ranged and melee DPS characters, if their HP wasn't so low, if I could upgrade it, then I wouldn't even be looking at CON as a secondary stat.

Agreeing here with you as well. Personally I use CON for those situations where my Passive cannot provide any protection (like Physical dmg vs Fire Form), more like a safety net.

Get rid of the END stat, and merge its properties with REC. There should be ONE energy stat. How does this apply to CON you ask? Streamlining. END (like CO's HP bonus) is linear scaling for the bonus to max energy. Making REC a more appealing stat makes some competition for it being a primary or secondary superstat. It also gives an opportunity to re-invent the specializations for the newly merged REC stat. My recommendation? It's name is recovery right? It's specializations should make you recover faster. Faster energy regeneration, some minor but noteworthy health regen in combat, and being about to recover from being knocked faster (which is currently a spec only available in the CON primary stat's spec tree)

Nope. Leave END alone. I say this cause I've gotten some good mileage out of END PSS (single statting and otherwise, see my earlier post).

If this was done correctly then maybe, but then you have to consider AT's (I know hardly anyone considers them much anymore but in this instance of such a dramatic change, they need to be considered.) Some powers are tied directly to certain stats, mostly energy unlocks, so a lot of reworking would have to be done in order deal with such a change.

Enough with calls for nerfs, buff up the weakest links instead.

I do honestly think this would be a much better idea than throwing out reductions and attempting to balance things in a haphazard way which could cause over buffs or over reductions.

And while you're at it, fix Overdrive so it's an equal competitor to MSA, using REC. (and if REC and END were merged, that'd make Overdrive much more appealing).

I don't think Overdrive actually scales properly, I could be wrong but with over 330 END it's giving me 9 energy per tick or something ridiculous like that.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    avianos wrote: »
    With the upcome of the Rampage Revamp and the future Cheap 1-shots from Rampage alerts do you Really want that?
    I'm against Nerfing CON (because that's TOTALLY NERF and NOT balance)

I will Confess, ALL my FF character use CON as Secondary, reasons: Survibility and because I HATE getting 1-shot from bosses like Gravitar. The majority of my characters' HP don't go over 8000 HP, and one 3 are using Ego Surge + Adv, and one is using Spirit Reverberation an Energy Unlock which SCALES with CON

Leave CON alone, you know what we should ask, to boost some of the STAT Like ENDURANCE which I avoid like the Plague, I have Characters who use INT or REC, but NONE use END :|

REC and INT are SUPPERIOR to END which does not have many flexible Energy Unlocks which take advantage of it and NEED REC and INT to works

Without the plus 2.5k proposed increase to base hp, with the suggested change to CON, your hp would take a hit. In fact, if con stayed the way it is now and we got the hp buff as suggested, your hp would be higher than if the nerf to CON that is being asked for was implemented. In short, it would effect your hp. For in both cases, your hp is lower with the suggested change than if CON remained as it is now.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kallethen wrote: »
    I still don't see a need for it. My non-CON toons are plenty survivable.

Example? I have an unconventional DEX/Ego/Int Ego-Blader with Seraphim as her passive that I proved to be plenty survivable even after the Dodge nerf. I know she can at least go toe-to-toe with a Resistance Mega-D Overseer and it's summoned twin.

Yes, I also have toons that can survive easily without any CON. That doesn't change the fact that those toons, if we statted CON to them, would pretty much become unkillable gods, while sacrificing nothing in trade. Gradii isn't saying that toons need CON to survive. He is pointing out that CON is just a bit too good of a stat, because characters who stack tons of CON get a lot out of that investment while sacrificing very little, and characters who don't stat CON at all don't get very much in trade for all the survival ability that they've traded.

Yes, there are other things that also scale with CON that add to this problem; diminish the value of dumping everything into CON and you start to chip away at those other issues as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Also, about END, while it is lackluster compared to others, I find it really useful. Is INT a better stat? Sure, but I still use END as a secondary here and there. As for CON, only my tanks have it as a SS. I don't even have it as a secondary on a single toon. And I have only like 18 tanks out of 76+ toons. Or something like that, I have lost count. But tanks are not the majority of my toons. DPS toons are the majority. And not a single one of them has CON as a secondary or primary. Not even my telepathic DOT master (lots of little numbers! mwahahahahaha!) has CON as a secondary. Though my telepathic tank does have it as a primary, for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm kinda in the middle- while I agree in general w/ gradii and foxi about reigning in Con stacking, I do think some specific changes (ES's NM scaling off of Ego, buffing growth amulet HP, etc) are also worth pursuing.

Ofc, Rec/End is a tangent, but making them more appealing is an indirect way to address the problem, yea.
    If END/REC were to be looked at, what would people suggest be added to them/ what properties would they absorb (perhaps from other stats) that will not conflict or "over power" their specs?

Hm, random thoughts-

End: 'increases your damage by x% when above equilibrium' (issue though is spec trees that let End increase equilibrium being counter-productive, but those could always change).

Rec: either add a niche (like make it the stat that scales many pet attributes- ie. the old Int, I guess), or maybe allow it to have a mini-Supernatural Power effect- gaining you some small energy when you dip below a certain %max energy (so even if you cap out ur equilibrium its still useful to have more of).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thats part of the reason END primary is even ever worth taking. don't get rid of one of the best specs END tree has!

Er, you don't take End as PSS over other stats because of Readiness, you pick up Readiness to not need Rec as much if you do make that choice. And I never said what they could change it to; could be better or worse.

I was going to suggest the boost work below equilibrium, but to me it makes more sense thematically for Rec to have an extra effect when lower on reserves- not End. I only used equilibrium as an easy marker for the cutoff for my suggestion for End, but had to point out a side-effect to doing that.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hmm,

None of my characters have CON as either primary or secondary SS. All of my characters use offensive passives.

Not sure that I agree that CON is so necessary or OP.

In general I have found the extra health gained from CON to be somewhat wasteful. If you would have 5k health without CON SS and 8k with it, that extra health would only matter in situations where your enemies can deal more than 5k damage to you.

A good self heal, one power out of many, has more impact than CON primary SS (of which you get only one) when it comes to survivability.

Ultimately if my characters are not dying with 5k health, what good is an extra 3, 4, or 5k ?

* all of the above IMO of course.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If we're talking about CON as main SS, then no, I disagree that having it as a main SS is so valuable that I would feel compelled to take it regardless of build. My Defiance-based tank, while having an impressive 12k HP, suffered a lot in the DPS department and was only really good for maintaining aggro on her.

If you main SS CON, then you're bound to trade-off some form of effectiveness in an area that another stat provides. In fact, taking CON as main SS for certain builds would actually be impractical. As of now, the only two real practical reasons you would take CON as a main SS is 1) Defiance and 2) The STR tree spec that allows for CON to give defense.

If we're talking about CON as a secondary SS, then the same applies. If I wanted a slight boost in HP by choosing CON as a secondary SS, then I would be sacrificing a buff in DPS by not taking Ego (if I were ranged), PRE if I was healing (or if I wanted a bigger AoRP group buff) or INT if I was using Quarry, just to name a few examples.

The overall point is that CON isn't such an overpowered stat to take to start calling for nerfs. It's certainly not that crucial for survivability either since there are other forms of survivability. Having CON as a SS just makes it so that you can adjust your build accordingly without resorting to other means of survivability to make up for a lower overall HP, but at the same time trading off some area that your build can do better in.
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »
    As of now, the only two real practical reasons you would take CON as a main SS is 1) Defiance and 2) The STR tree spec that allows for CON to give defense.

Jeeenny, you're not making sense. (Or dollars either!)

Not disagreeing with you, it's just...You couldn't have the STR spec tree with CON main. It's impossibrou. D=
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Jeeenny, you're not making sense. (Or dollars either!)

Not disagreeing with you, it's just...You couldn't have the STR spec tree with CON main. It's impossibrou. D=

You're right, I didn't phrase that properly. I meant to say maximizing CON while having STR as main SS...

Derp. :tongue: