test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

DEVS/Cryptic/PW: What is your plan to lead CO to glory (and profits)?

2»

Comments

• Options
    skylygerskylyger Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I get that you and many others are still mad at Jack for various things, he's not my favorite guy either, but holding a grudge is unhealthy. It's also ridiculous to STILL be upset about what Jack and company did during their CoX days, especially when a good number of the things they did wrong were corrected by Paragon after Cryptic's exodus.

In summary: Get over it and put some serious thought into not playing any more Cryptic games if dislike the staff this much.

Your right Paragon Studios did pick up that ball that was dropped by far less competent people that even NC Suck had the good sense to see where a detriment rather then an asset to their company and said GTFO.

Cryptic ended up in the hands of a wolf in the guise of atari, eating up all that was remotely good and leaving nothing but stinking piles in their wake. The thing is that all the smoke screen of it being that umbrellas fault is long since faded away with how even with the coming of PWE no real money got sunk into this game.

Since its launch it took me on average no more then a month of a few hours a day of play to burn through the content and cap a character. That is such shallow content for an MMO its almost enough to make my logic circuit burn out trying to process it.

At least even the funcom fracktastic failure Age of Conan had one thing going for it, an exquisite starting area and lvl capped pvp zones on it so people good spend a fun couple months developing different characters and learning the ins and outs of pve, pvp, and world exploration in an enviroment so breathtaking it trick tons of reviewers into thinking the whole game would be that well polished at launch.

Granted even when a game is getting new content its rarely enough in and of itself anymore.

DDO for example due to such a tendency to constantly change the way various character abilities function there, and an incredibly inefficient way to respec a character, and the main end game actually constantly involving the destruction of a max lvl toon, it just feels like a giant waste of time to anyone who enjoys character building and altaholicking. It also is much like CO not nearly as well suited to nor enjoyable a team experience as CoX was on its worst days. And that had nothing to do with ATs and a holy trinity and everything to do with how the general vibe of the community was a happy one.

The fact is I dont hate jack or any member of the team cryptic that gave me CoX, I just am dissapointed in them, like any fan would be when they see something they once saw as an iconic standard fall to the gutter in a drunken stupor of self righteous self destruction.

If cryptic at this point just said, players of CO this game is what it is, and will never ever reach the potential many of you long time players once held for it. Then at least some might move on to other games, and others stop behaving with a mixture of cynicism and delusional hope so more could get along in game rather then endlessly debating if the game was ever going to become a healthy place again.
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    I think the "Spend money so they develop more!" thing is just silly.

Let's just stick with "Spend money on the stuff you want, let the accountants and executives worry about the stuff that is their jobs to worry about, and you just play the video game".

So long as they keep putting out stuff that people actually want to buy, like costume sets and auras and emote packs and vehicles (hey, someone keeps buying them), everything's fine.

Yep. We all just need to stop and smell the roses.

Unless you are allergic to roses. >.>
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    zahinder wrote: »
    As for F2P players running from paying for stuff... bollocks. ALL the successful F2P games have a variety of microtransactions for all sorts of stuff. Dungeons and Dragons Online, for example, has a huge number of modules (instances/dungeons/missions) that cost money.

Yes I played DDO. I did all the dungeon modules but never paid, because they actually allow you to grind out cash shop currency over there like we can here. One of the reasons I stopped playing was because I was constantly running into a "paid content wall" where my friends were going to go run something that I didn't have access to.

All those other F2P games having a variety of microtransactions is fine... because it's not runnable content; that's the thing you kind of glossed over there, that costumes and catalysts and even gear are not the same thing as runnable content. The point isn't that F2P players run from having to pay (or grind) for anything, it's that they run from having to pay for runnable content.

If you'll remember, they tried the whole "pay for content" thing here. Twice. They abandoned it wholesale. Twice.

Makes sense too. One of the big main draws of this game is that all the content is free... once you start telling people "Oh hey, your friends are gonna go do the cool new thing... you can join them after you pay or grind for a while", it severely diminishes that draw. Last thing they want to do right now is weaken the few things they have going for them.
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Content that you have to pay for would quickly lose them their Free2Play audience, since one of the major things this game has going for it is that you can do all the content for free. Once that F2P audience feels left behind, they leave, and then what happens to the game? I'll give you a hint: It involves that NextNameTaken guy posting a whole lot of screenshots.

Seems to work for DCUO.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    bwdares wrote: »
    Seems to work for DCUO.

Yes. And being Subcription based works for WoW, but we don't have the population for that either.
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I get that you and many others are still mad at Jack for various things, he's not my favorite guy either, but holding a grudge is unhealthy. It's also ridiculous to STILL be upset about what Jack and company did during their CoX days, especially when a good number of the things they did wrong were corrected by Paragon after Cryptic's exodus.

In summary: Get over it and put some serious thought into not playing any more Cryptic games if dislike the staff this much.

And this is where your wrong, Jack is in charge at Cryptic, he decides what gets done and where. While will admit there are more people angry at him for City of. there are those who have never played it and came here to play, are you saying they are angry at him for City of.? Im angry at him because he promised to come into this game time to time to see how we are doing, he has not been here since going to help Sto get ready for launch, the same can be said for Taco fangs he said he would be in game time to time, I have not seen either of them since they made their "promises".
    To me talk is cheap, they want money how about spend money to make money. Also to me it is Jack and the Crytpic officers that have shown how much they don't care of this game.
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    And this is where your wrong, Jack is in charge at Cryptic, he decides what gets done and where. While will admit there are more people angry at him for City of. there are those who have never played it and came here to play, are you saying they are angry at him for City of.? Im angry at him because he promised to come into this game time to time to see how we are doing, he has not been here since going to help Sto get ready for launch, the same can be said for Taco fangs he said he would be in game time to time, I have not seen either of them since they made their "promises".
    To me talk is cheap, they want money how about spend money to make money. Also to me it is Jack and the Crytpic officers that have shown how much they don't care of this game.

I can't see how I'm in the wrong here when you're the one talking about one thing and I'm talking about another. Sky made it pretty clear in the post I was responding to that he was still upset about the way CoX was handled while Jack was over there. That specifically was what I was addressing. Not his so-called promise to stop by CO-land from time to time or anything else he's said since leaving CoX.

This is what I meant when I said it's unhealthy to hold a grudge. You're so upset with Jack for REASONS that you lash out at anyone you think isn't as upset with him as you are. I already said he's not my favorite guy either, what more do you want?
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I can't see how I'm in the wrong here when you're the one talking about one thing and I'm talking about another. Sky made it pretty clear in the post I was responding to that he was still upset about the way CoX was handled while Jack was over there. That specifically was what I was addressing. Not his so-called promise to stop by CO-land from time to time or anything else he's said since leaving CoX.

This is what I meant when I said it's unhealthy to hold a grudge. You're so upset with Jack for REASONS that you lash out at anyone you think isn't as upset with him as you are. I already said he's not my favorite guy either, what more do you want?

Being angry with Jack over his mismanagement of City of Heroes is holding a grudge. It's been over six years since NCSoft [spits on ground] and Cryptic parted ways.

Being angry with Jack over his mismanagement of Champions is perfectly valid. This game is still live, still owned by Cryptic, and still his responsibility. If he thinks keeping CO's cash flow in stasis will keep it alive, he's horribly mistaken.

(Being angry with NCSoft over their mismanagement of City of Heroes, by the way, will be valid until the heat death of the universe, because "Bored now" is no justification to shut down and exile a player community. You don't do your own customers that dirty without burning every bridge in sight.)
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Being angry with Jack over his mismanagement of City of Heroes is holding a grudge. It's been over six years since NCSoft [spits on ground] and Cryptic parted ways.

Being angry with Jack over his mismanagement of Champions is perfectly valid. This game is still live, still owned by Cryptic, and still his responsibility. If he thinks keeping CO's cash flow in stasis will keep it alive, he's horribly mistaken.

(Being angry with NCSoft over their mismanagement of City of Heroes, by the way, will be valid until the heat death of the universe, because "Bored now" is no justification to shut down and exile a player community. You don't do your own customers that dirty without burning every bridge in sight.)

Precisely why I wasn't addressing the current goings-on. It's almost a given at this point that there is a mismanagement issue going on within Cryptic. Licensed games get launched, company-owned game falls further behind, shoved into a corner and a blanket of "not enough money" is thrown over it.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    r9xchaos wrote: »
    even if not a real foundry.. but an enhanced nemesis where we can fully create our nemsis ( with all powers and auras ) and of course to make their minions, and their powers aswell... AND make thise missions available to anyone , like they search for high threat and randomly find your nemesis to fight :D

would be cool
    Man i love your idea.

But that Avatar is a bit... creepy. Reminds me of some bad plastic surgery victim.

But, yeah. That idea of making missions available to everyone after tricking out your villain would be nice. A kind of "foundry" lite.
  • Options
    crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Wait, now you can saw whatever you like about Jack(like how he namedropped almost every MMO in existence in an interview and didn't even mention CO, for example) but not Tumer. Tumer has been back a few times here and there. I actually ran into him last week in CO and I know he shows up on ESD in STO from time to time from listening to it's players(since that's the game he works on now). I think the red bit speaks for itself here. :wink:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    crosschan wrote: »
    Wait, now you can saw whatever you like about Jack(like how he namedropped almost every MMO in existence in an interview and didn't even mention CO, for example) but not Tumer. Tumer has been back a few times here and there. I actually ran into him last week in CO and I know he shows up on ESD in STO from time to time from listening to it's players(since that's the game he works on now). I think the red bit speaks for itself here. :wink:

like I said I haven't seen nor my friends. So I have no reason to doubt you, so on that I stand corrected.
  • Options
    savagefistsavagefist Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kallethen wrote: »
    Also, in that post, he wrote that while CO isn't outselling STO, it is doing well financially and they are happy with it's performance. There's no plans to shut down CO.

I very much believe him? Why?

First, while we haven't had huge "expansion" updates in a while, we have been getting updates at least thanks to Cryptic North. Sure, I'd love to see a new Comic Series or such, but at least we did get new powers, new costumes, new missions, new alerts, new auras at last, etc. For the immediate future, we've got Rampages coming down the line (the new Fire & Ice, plus retooling Sky Command and Lemurian Invasion into rampage alerts, PLUS letting us create private queues for Rampages) and Justice Gear.

I also think it's rather telling that CO was included in the Arc promotion (while the newer PWE game Raiderz isn't...).

I think we all just need to chill and see what this year brings.

I'm sure CoH players thought the same thing. If you enjoyed using a donut pillow on your chairs you could post something similar or mention low population servers back then on their official forums, just a couple months before the shut down announcement. What it really comes down to is that no one has any clue except those in charge. If you are having fun now then just enjoy it. If not, you shouldn't be playing and hoping something down the line will change how you feel(excluding players that wish to give constructive criticism).
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
    GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+
    AMD FX-6300 6-Core Processor
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
    Intel 335 Series Jay Crest 240GB
    3 x TOSHIBA PH3300U-1I72 3TB
    XFX Core Edition FX-785A-CNL4 Radeon HD 7850 2GB