test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should we be worried?

sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
Tucked away in the announcement of Stephen D'Angelo as STO's new executive producer (emphasis mine):
Daniel [Stahl] has decided to step down from the captain?s chair to pursue an exciting new project at Cryptic Studios, and I hope you will join the whole Star Trek Online team in thanking him for his contributions to, love for, and dedication to Star Trek Online.

Is this going to involve Cryptic North in any way, or is this strictly the Los Gatos office?
Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I dunno. Let's post fifteen pages of speculation about it.
  • Options
    fr0gurtfr0gurt Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Champions Online 2?

Sparkling Vampire Black-Redders Online?

Call of Honor World Battlefield Online?
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If it turned out that they've been developing CO2 for the last two years and that's why things have been slow, and CO2 had even half of the things we've been requested, I'd take back all the bitter things I've said about them.

That said, my natural inclination is to expect to be horribly annoyed or disappointed by whatever it turns out to be.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Possibly, if they think adding a forth game is a good idea when the past has shown that their network can barely stand three.
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Stahl's probably been transitioned over to whatever Cryptic's as-yet unannounced MMO project is.
    Kinda mixed about this.
    One the one hand, Stahl is incredibly passionate about STO and loves the game and loves coming up with ideas for the game, even if a lot of them don't really pan out.
    On the other hand, D'Angelo got the game through its F2P phase and helped get it under control in the time that followed, so while he's quieter than Stahl, he tends to get what he says he's gonna do done.
  • Options
    embracemyswordembracemysword Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »

Huehueue? Let's post unnecessary fail scarcasm to make us feel important, instead.

Cut it out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Huehueue? Let's post unnecessary fail scarcasm to make us feel important, instead.

Cut it out.
    Why is unnecessary sarcasm less worthy than uninformed speculation?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think we should be, looks like champions will become neglected yet again. as seeing as champions devs have been known to move to other games and only a very few have returned.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I fail to pinpoint exactly what it is that we should be worried about.

That was STO's (now former) Executive Producer stepping down. Not CO's. When there's an announcement made about CO's Executive Producer (Rob Overmeyer) stepping down without a replacement, then that would justifiy having some worry. Cryptic's new unnamed project after NWO is already old news at this point in time.

Once again, what should we be worried about that isn't baseless speculation?
  • Options
    skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »

That was STO's (now former) Executive Producer stepping down. Not CO's. When there's an announcement made about CO's Executive Producer (Rob Overmeyer) stepping down without a replacement, then that would justifiy having some worry. Cryptic's new unnamed project after NWO is already old news at this point in time.

Because they took all of CO staff to work on STO/Neverwinter etc.. so when they need more staff for their new project, they take more CO staff again? Just my little bit of speculation..
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »

Cryptic has always had "another project", even when it's only an abstract set of ideas. Announcing that the new project has a high-profile executive in charge now says that those plans are becoming concrete, so it's going to start accumulating experienced developers from other projects. I just want to know if those developers are coming from Cryptic North or if they're post-crunch surplus from Neverwinter and Legacy of Romulus.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's too early to be worried. If we start seeing less development here compared to what we got last year then worrying might be in order.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    skcark wrote: »
    Because they took all of CO staff to work on STO/Neverwinter etc.. so when they need more staff for their new project, they take more CO staff again? Just my little bit of speculation..
    Cryptic has always had "another project", even when it's only an abstract set of ideas. Announcing that the new project has a high-profile executive in charge now says that those plans are becoming concrete, so it's going to start accumulating experienced developers from other projects. I just want to know if those developers are coming from Cryptic North or if they're post-crunch surplus from Neverwinter and Legacy of Romulus.

We only know for sure at this point that the project has a high-profile head executive who was in charge of Cryptic's more successful product. That's all we know right now. Like shieldtower has said, if we get a long dry spell this year similar to what we had before Cryptic North was put in place, then start genuinely worrying.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Cut it out.

Grow a sense of humor. I think Chia sells that now... your results may vary:
    Echo_ChiaPet__.jpg
    You might be a more pleasant person if you spent more time doing things for fun... like playing video games.
    jonsills wrote: »
    Why is unnecessary sarcasm less worthy than uninformed speculation?

Because embracemysword only values his own unnecessary sarcasm and uninformed speculation. I might end up putting this qoute of yours in my sig too... you're making some good ones lately!
    fr0gurt wrote: »
    Champions Online 2?

Sparkling Vampire Black-Redders Online?

Call of Honor World Battlefield Online?

Now here's a question. Cryptic has conquered space, they have conquered medieval times, and they have conquered the superverse. What's next? Sonic The Hedgehog Online? Fallout Online? Super Bass Pro Fishing Online? My Little Pony Online?

Please let it be My Little Pony Online owo
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    It's too early to be worried. If we start seeing less development here compared to what we got last year then worrying might be in order.
    The only way we could get less development than we saw last year would be if they actually took stuff away.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    edited January 2014
    The only way we could get less development than we saw last year would be if they actually took stuff away.

That's silly. We all know that they only take stuff away as part of the development process. Like when they developed the crafting system into what it is now... those costume parts had to go n_n

Also power replacers... developed out as part of on alert :3
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2014

We had stuff put in last year, we had rimefire / that force power / telepathy powers / laser sword powers. We had the dodge nerf, the fix of that spec glitch and throwing blades glitch. We had a nerf of a couple of powers. We had a few alerts and also that lemurian event early in the year, oh also the cybermind event thing too. We also had auras.

I don't know if that was everything or not, but yeah we didn't exactly get "nothing" last year it just all came rather slowly.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's about STO.
    Why worry.
    It's not like we lost ...Lead Guy.....him...who ever he is....

And that has happened before....So..
    PANIC!!!!!
    moustache.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Public Service Reminder:

It's 2014.

When you say "last year" you're talking about 2013... i.e., the year of the birth of Cryptic North. :)
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Little harder for this to happen now that the CO dev teams and the STO/NWO dev teams are not only in completely different buildings, but completely different cities.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

You're right. If we don't see a new type of lockbox in the next month, then we've lost the dedicated team of lockbox designers.
  • Options
    gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited January 2014

It is a matter of PWE policy, STO was not neglected due to NWO. The concept of Cryptic games competing for resources is imho a excuse for giving hope players in neglected games. I am, personally, still giving the benefit of the doubt to Cryptic North but still it is not a solid bet to CO future.
  • Options
    wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gandales wrote: »
    It is a matter of PWE policy, STO was not neglected due to NWO. The concept of Cryptic games competing for resources is imho a excuse for giving hope players in neglected games. I am, personally, still giving the benefit of the doubt to Cryptic North but still it is not a solid bet to CO future.

Hell, does CO even have a future?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    Little harder for this to happen now that the CO dev teams and the STO/NWO dev teams are not only in completely different buildings, but completely different cities.

That don't mean much these days. The first Bioshock was co-developed by studios in Boston and Canberra, Australia. If they can collaborate across the International Date Line, I think Cryptic's Los Gatos and Seattle offices can figure it out in the same time zone.

All of this has happened before...
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    when they need more staff for their new project, they take more CO staff again?

What staff?
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    What staff?

Yeah really. When you go to fill a swimming pool, you don't get your water from the bucket that only has a few drops in it.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah really. When you go to fill a swimming pool, you don't get your water from the bucket that only has a few drops in it.

Yeah but the full buckets belong to the mansion next door. They're too good for your kiddie pool. :P
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Yeah but the full buckets belong to the mansion next door. They're too good for your kiddie pool. :P

Yeah but we're not filling the pool for us... we're filling it for the people who own the mansion. So it's really up to them if they're okay with the cash flow that will result from a dry pool. (and of course we know that the landlord of the mansion is gonna take water from the people who live in the mansion too no matter what they wanna say about it)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    What staff?

The Wizard's Staff.

tumblr_lq62n7xXJk1qze4x2o1_400.gif
    The Wizard: Thou Shalt Noth Haveth My Staffth!!
    moustache.gif
  • Options
    darqauradarqaura Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sorceror01 wrote: »

Irrelevant in the age of the internet and being able to remote desktop from anywhere.

If there had never been a COH there would never have been a CO. :cool:
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Problem is, they keep STO staff with STO because they don't own the IP. So they can just let it go into the same sorry state that CO's fallen in. NWO is their newest game.. one so unique and clearly not been done before... in the genre of 'Yet-another-medieval-fantasy-game' so it always calls to taking away from CO for their new things each time =\
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Problem is, they keep STO staff with STO because they don't own the IP. So they can just let it go into the same sorry state that CO's fallen in. NWO is their newest game.. one so unique and clearly not been done before... in the genre of 'Yet-another-medieval-fantasy-game' so it always calls to taking away from CO for their new things each time =\

I sooooooo hope its not another medieval game, the mmo market is too saturated by them, I hope its in the sci realm or heroes realm.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Though I really doubt they're going to make another superhero game (Seriously, who thinks "Hey let's take our least-successful game and do it again!) I really wouldn't want them to, because it would likely be based on Neverwinter's no-subscription model. Who here wants to pay 30 bucks to get a Rank 3 travel power?
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Quick! While they're leaderless and in disarray..

GRAB TUMERBOY BACK!
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    enixonbbenixonbb Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think I remember some stuff from a couple years back about a "secret project" and some screens. The only screen shot I remember was of an Indiana Jones looking guy in a desert facing off against a animated T-Rex skeleton so if that was this it looks like it might be kinda like the Secret World but in a Pulp-Adventure Setting.
  • Options
    eastgatewidoweastgatewidow Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited January 2014

You mean like with the crafting system redux?.....

*cries in the corner rocking to and fro*

Dropping my knitting to buff you whilst hitting - Proudly protecting Millennium City's little ones since 2009.

@Mothers_Love
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    enixonbb wrote: »
    I think I remember some stuff from a couple years back about a "secret project" and some screens. The only screen shot I remember was of an Indiana Jones looking guy in a desert facing off against a animated T-Rex skeleton so if that was this it looks like it might be kinda like the Secret World but in a Pulp-Adventure Setting.

They had the Unnamed Project X cancelled 2008
    And Unnamed Project Y cancelled 2011 (Creatures Of Night).
    Lots of pictures/concept art in JAGs, Tumerboys, Brad Stokans sites/blogs.....
    moustache.gif
  • Options
    jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited January 2014

GRAB TUMERBOY BACK!

I agree!!

But on a side note I don't see much worse than what they have done to CO already (aside from shutting the servers down). It's a few steps above maintenance mode right now, since there have been fixes and minimal things implemented, but if what Tumerboy said in this post in regards to the game is the company's view, then I'm not holding out much hope for anything more than a status quo this year. That way anything else will be a pleasant surprise :P
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    enixonbbenixonbb Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited January 2014

GRAB TUMERBOY BACK!
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    They had the Unnamed Project X cancelled 2008
    And Unnamed Project Y cancelled 2011 (Creatures Of Night).
    Lots of pictures/concept art in JAGs, Tumerboys, Brad Stokans sites/blogs.....
    moustache.gif

Ah I think I remember the Indiana Jones vs Skeleton Dinosaur being labeled as Unnamed Project X, too bad that looked kinda neat.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I would also venture to guess that they don't want to piss Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast off by letting Neverwinter fall like CO.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Ofcourse. Since those companies probably throw money at them. On the otherhand the big company throwing money at CO is.....
    moustache.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    So what we learn from tumer is.. CO apparently isn't generating enough money to fund a development team upgrade.. but they gladly take the income generated by CO to fund NWO..
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    So what we learn from tumer is.. CO apparently isn't generating enough money to fund a development team upgrade.. but they gladly take the income generated by CO to fund NWO..

There's no way you can even know that.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There's no way you can even know that.

Apparently, the latest telepathy update says otherwise. =D
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Only ten more pages to go everypony! :D
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    If CO isn't generating the money to fund a development team, then how can there be any to be "siphoned off" to NW?

(Also, claims like this make me wonder - do you get upset when you go to the grocery store to purchase produce, and some of the profits are used to help pay for sanitation in the meat department as well?)

• Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    HOLY CRAP!

Now we won't be getting the steady flow of content, bug fixes, and updates.

So, for those of us in CO it'll be 'Just February', no new updates, just a restart.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    If CO isn't generating the money to fund a development team, then how can there be any to be "siphoned off" to NW?

(Also, claims like this make me wonder - do you get upset when you go to the grocery store to purchase produce, and some of the profits are used to help pay for sanitation in the meat department as well?)

Well if that's how you like to twist logic.. sure.. jokes on you. I don't do the shopping.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Heck it gets even worse than that, cause franchised businesses will often send money from one location to another :O Wait, you mean if I buy a burger here, my money might go to a fast food joint a few miles away and it won't stay here to improve future burgers I might buy? Well clearly that means burger production is going to stop at this fast food joint sometime in the near future, or at the very least burger quality will be reduced drastically! D:

Or maybe this fast food joint only needs so much money to continue on its planned rate of production and leaving the money here wouldn't actually increase burger production or quality at all... after all, you can't put money on a burger to make it taste better.

I don't get why people think a business is like a fire: The more fuel you dump into it, teh bigger and brighter and hotter it gets! Cause that's not how it works, especially not in the creative industry.