Looking to 2014

2»

Comments

• Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    I hope they can get the tech working for water

I think that the visible distortion effect around Sonic Arrow would work well for Water powers.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I never understood why they don't recycle content they have, I don't know when the last time I did some of the early dungeons and stuff or even any level 40 dungeon now. I've done it all in the past but there simply seems no point now. Why would I go into a level 20 lair as a level 40?

I think it would be good if they did the same as what NW did as in creating hardmode max level dungeons for all the dungeons in the game. I don't really see how this would be all that hard to do but it would help give content for when people get to max level, especially if they never actually did that content when leveling up.

I'm not saying that I don't want other powers / content as all of that is good. What we need is something that can feel like it lasts instead of a 10 minute alert that will get repetitive in about an hour.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm actually looking forward to 2014 due to the fact once my new year holiday is over I can get back to terrorisng Mill city :3
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    salamander007salamander007 Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    avianos wrote: »
    - Avian Warrior Pack
    - More PRE-ALERT forgoten Items and Weapon Skins BACK! (WHERE THE FUDGE IS THERAKIEL'S SWORD AND NEPHILIM WINGS?
    - More GREEN and BLUE
    - Me Becoming a Lifetimer... :/ and FINALLY GETTING MY PRECIOUS AVIAN WARRIOR PACK... (not anytime soon, see you all next year)

Untitled.png

[SIZE=+7]YES[/SIZE] + 1 from me

GOD MODE (and total immunity to all knocks and status ailments, untouchable) in an MMO without using any external software, this bug (which cryptic has refused to fix for YEARS) is repeatable IN-GAME solely because of the lack of bug fixing and listening of its community crying out for some serious bug fixes.

*This bug is still live, and has been for years. You wont find it.

I am NOT giving out the information on how to cause this bug, and nothing within this video shows or hints in any way how to cause it, so dont ask.

Cryptic refused to hire me (or any of the playerbases excellent min-maxers/test server goers) as a bug cruncher or balancer & since has actually banned me now TWICE for HELPING them find bugs & exploits which THEY WONT FIX FOR YEARS unless i post a dramatized video to force them to fix it. (i shouldnt have to go so far to help you, oh! and youre welcome!)

Cryptic, my message is to turn around & listen to your community and hire people within it like myself who know how to fix your game, the recent hiring of people from the same state in America WHO HAVE NEVER PLAYED CO is nothing but a waste of money & time, as it'll take them years to get a full understand everything in Champions, which some of us know so well we can make the changes ourselves. If you would but make the correct decision and stop being so "we know best" when you have already lost all credibility and respect of your players.

Champions at this rate...doesnt have 'years' left to live, if you keep it in the current state.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    I'm actually looking forward to 2014 due to the fact once my new year holiday is over I can get back to terrorisng Mill city :3

We need to hold another costume contest in BASH some time. ;D
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just being real- I'm not expecting much.

I can rattle off a list of things I want to see, but I can tell you right now up front- it's not probably not going to happen.

Most likely we'll see lockboxes and events that revolve around them. We might have a few little mini-arcs that you can plow through in 10 minutes like the Lemuria invasion and the Socrates thing. Those are all fine and good, but really- I go and do the mission, get whatever reward costume part there is, and call it a day. For the last 2 years, CO's really just been a place for me to Roleplay.

I expect to see a dent in the population once Wildstar, Elder Scrolls Online, and City of Titans go live (And to be fair, I don't have high hopes for City of Titans at this point, considering all I've seen is concept art, requests for cash donations, and a whiny fanbase demanding CoX be remade). Sorry, hate to be a doomsayer, but CO takes a hit every time something new comes out, even if the hit is temporary. Some people come back, some people stay gone. It happens to every MMORPG.

So far, some of the problems with the game that have been pointed out countless times have yet to be fixed, so I'm not even hoping they will get fixed in 2014.

On a positive note, I think we might see some new costume sets. Here's hoping they'll continue to be less restrictive with the costume parts so we can see more interesting combinations. I would like to think at this point, if clipping doesn't bother us, we won't use that combination- especially considering the 'valid' combinations that clip already. I'm also hoping they finally give us the Cyber Ninja sword, Viper laser rifle, and Viper Squad Leader/Tatrapper pistol along with several other 'inaccessible' parts.

We might see powers get expanded, and I'd love to see them add some more to Power Armor- to include making some less stupid options (namely the phallic blasters in the forearm). Amazingly enough, the Cyber Ninja and Anti-virus thing has some amazing powers that ought to find their way into the Power Armor set.

Vehicles have slowed down significantly since this time last year, so here's hoping they got the message- especially since we can't have ground vehicles, there's only so much 'hover-' and 'jet-' things you can market before people get sick of it. I blame Cryptic in part for the vehicles' failure, especially since they said 'limited customization' and that somehow translated to 'no customization at all'.

I don't see CO shutting down. I really don't. But that's just speculation on my part.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I expect to see a dent in the population once Wildstar, Elder Scrolls Online, and City of Titans go live

Okay well wildstar is LITERALLY just a WoW clone, looks typically free to play although clearly doesn't look as well polished as WoW.

Elder scrolls online will have a lot of people go try it out, it's style of gameplay may help keep people for a bit and will probably be the thing that makes the game however things like the PvP and graphics style will let it down and it fall to a lower population relatively fast.

Meh I haven't really bothered looking into CoT, I know for sure it would be out next year anyway. Also I don't have that high hopes about it anyway, aren't they making it on the unreal engine? I don't really see how it fits to CoX that well and that's only the first mistake they'll make on the project with what I believe many more to come.

Basically I don't see these games damaging CO nearly as much as GW2 did to a lot of games including CoH. I suppose GW2 and CoH is a lot like DCUO and SWG though.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Because fiddling with Lairs makes things go BOOM!
    Don't remember what the official answer was, but something like 'lairs are held together with string and bubblegum, touching them would be disasterous'.
    moustache.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Also I don't have that high hopes about [City of Titans] anyway, aren't they making it on the unreal engine? I don't really see how it fits to CoX that well...

CoT is hardly the first MMO on Unreal Engine. It's not even the first superhero MMO; DCUO is. Having played that game, I'd say engine choice is the least of DCUO's problems. *cough*CONSOLEPORT*cough*
    ...and that's only the first mistake they'll make on the project with what I believe many more to come.

I don't think that's a fair statement. What MMO hasn't made mistakes?
    Basically I don't see these games damaging CO nearly as much as GW2 did to a lot of games including CoH.

Of course, GW2 damaged CoH through back-channels, by draining NCSoft's coffers to the point that another game had to die the week after GW2 launched. But I'm not bitter.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    CoT is hardly the first MMO on Unreal Engine. It's not even the first superhero MMO; DCUO is. Having played that game, I'd say engine choice is the least of DCUO's problems. *cough*CONSOLEPORT*cough*

I didn't mean the engine as in for an MMO game I meant the engine as in for a game like what CoX was. I'd think the old players of CoX would like something as close to what CoX was like and having a feel of gameplay like CoX. The problem with using an engine like unreal is that the game will always be blatantly and unreal game, exactly the same with something like vindictus on the source engine. Despite the heavy coding to change it, it is still pretty blatantly the source engine. My point was that I don't think they'll capture the feel for CoX had, it'd just be like a random unreal game skinned to look like CoX.

That's just the way I see it anyway.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Okay well wildstar is LITERALLY just a WoW clone, looks typically free to play although clearly doesn't look as well polished as WoW.

Elder scrolls online will have a lot of people go try it out, it's style of gameplay may help keep people for a bit and will probably be the thing that makes the game however things like the PvP and graphics style will let it down and it fall to a lower population relatively fast.

Meh I haven't really bothered looking into CoT, I know for sure it would be out next year anyway. Also I don't have that high hopes about it anyway, aren't they making it on the unreal engine? I don't really see how it fits to CoX that well and that's only the first mistake they'll make on the project with what I believe many more to come.

Basically I don't see these games damaging CO nearly as much as GW2 did to a lot of games including CoH. I suppose GW2 and CoH is a lot like DCUO and SWG though.

Any new MMO has the potential to tear a gamer away from whatever they're playing. It's not something unique or special or anything that should be lauded. Will those games take people from Champions? Sure. Same way Champions took me away from WoW and CoH. Same way it does for lots of people.

Anyone who likes Champs for the freeform character building and amazing character creator and action gameplay might go out and try some other games, but none of them will offer what Champs has. And Champs doesn't have to "worry" about CoT for like three or four years, at least... If ever. That game is more of a pipe dream than anything else, in my opinion.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Any new MMO has the potential to tear a gamer away from whatever they're playing. It's not something unique or special or anything that should be lauded. Will those games take people from Champions? Sure. Same way Champions took me away from WoW and CoH. Same way it does for lots of people.

Anyone who likes Champs for the freeform character building and amazing character creator and action gameplay might go out and try some other games, but none of them will offer what Champs has. And Champs doesn't have to "worry" about CoT for like three or four years, at least... If ever. That game is more of a pipe dream than anything else, in my opinion.

I wish CoT was closer to becoming a reality. Not because I want to play it, in fact I know nect to nothing about it, but I think it may kick Cryptic into gear about going in and fixing CO. Like fixing the coding, and figuring out where it all went wrong, so that maybe they could improve the engine.

...yeah, that will never happen.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    avianos wrote: »
    - Avian Warrior Pack
    - More PRE-ALERT forgoten Items and Weapon Skins BACK! (WHERE THE FUDGE IS THERAKIEL'S SWORD AND NEPHILIM WINGS?
    - More GREEN and BLUE
    - Me Becoming a Lifetimer... :/ and FINALLY GETTING MY PRECIOUS AVIAN WARRIOR PACK... (not anytime soon, see you all next year)

Untitled.png

[SIZE=+7]YES[/SIZE] + 1 from me

Oh My Feathery God!
    This
    SO MUCH THIS!
    THIS IS GREAT!

I should be Burning with Envy and Green Jealously by this picture, but you Sir Made my day~! Thank you!

tumblr_mndh95bl7w1s46koto1_400.gif
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I hope for a Chain Attacks Pass and new costume pieces (Belly shirt! Baggy socks!) that happens all is good!
  • Options
    joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited December 2013

DCUO wasn't the first superhero MMO, CoH was.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    I wish CoT was closer to becoming a reality. Not because I want to play it, in fact I know nect to nothing about it, but I think it may kick Cryptic into gear about going in and fixing CO. Like fixing the coding, and figuring out where it all went wrong, so that maybe they could improve the engine.

...yeah, that will never happen.

I hope so, but with CoH shutting down last year, they weren't motivated into doing anything more than flipping a double xp weekend. That was during our "devless" phase though, so who knows.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    DCUO wasn't the first superhero MMO, CoH was.

I think she meant first superhero MMO on the Unreal engine.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What I would like to see:
    1.- Foundry.
    2.- New content that doesn't get remobed after a few weeks and also that last longer than 5-10 mins to do.
    3.-Some class balance, things have been ridiculous for way too long already.
    4.- Did I mention more content?
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The dev team taking ownership in the Champions IP instead of the delicate handling seen in the game.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    blademaster5121blademaster5121 Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think Champions is going to hit 88 miles per hour in 2014.

It will feel more like 88 miles per day, I. Assure you. ;)
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It will feel more like 88 miles per day, I. Assure you. ;)

That's still a good pace for someone who can't afford a car.
  • Options
    epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm looking forward to another 40 or two, more roleplay, and for CO's continued improvement!
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    I will be LTS this tuesday when my E-check purchase clears. now THAT's something I'm looking forward to! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

... dear god, why??
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    blademaster5121blademaster5121 Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    That's still a good pace for someone who can't afford a car.

Pfft, I could hobble faster.
  • Options
    carrutherscarruthers Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i think Co has a lot of life in it especially in the coming year(s) and also because mr. matt miller is back with cryptic. hopefully he'll get some time with Co because he and others was what kept Cox alive and well. only a couple more weeks and i'll be back in Co flying the skies and i can't wait. check out my thread (content+nemesis=expansion pack) see what you all think, hey this would be a great start for me in 2014.
  • Options
    dantheiceman1dantheiceman1 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    carruthers wrote: »
    i think Co has a lot of life in it especially in the coming year(s) and also because mr. matt miller is back with cryptic. hopefully he'll get some time with Co because he and others was what kept Cox alive and well. only a couple more weeks and i'll be back in Co flying the skies and i can't wait. check out my thread (content+nemesis=expansion pack) see what you all think, hey this would be a great start for me in 2014.

source? and just because hes "supposely" back at cryptic doesn't mean hes in champions they floated all the paragon folks to star trek and new world order

so i am not getting my hopes up if its true
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=124755
    The Nemesis system needs fixing and here's ideas:
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    I will be LTS this tuesday when my E-check purchase clears. now THAT's something I'm looking forward to! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Early congratz to you then. Glad you are enjoying the game enough to pay that much for anything here. I do not regret getting my LTS, I hope you don't end up regretting it.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    source?
    Is Matt Miller the one once known as Positron? Because I do know that the former CoX dev called Positron wrote the outstanding new Klingon tutorial in STO...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    gtw891gtw891 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I went LTS just before thanksgiving and haven't regretted it one bit. In fact I'm enjoying the game more because of it. :)
  • Options
    lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Is Matt Miller the one once known as Positron? Because I do know that the former CoX dev called Positron wrote the outstanding new Klingon tutorial in STO...

Unless my memory fails, yea that's the guy. And if you think there is drama here Sills....imagine a dev that took things way serious. I wish i could link his stuff, he was a character.

Tiny reference made to that in an ancient video mod...gonna go look.

edit-K it's an easter egg in the dialog that was obviously fan made, but it fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24yn0leXykI&feature=related
  • Options
    xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    One thing I want and think would help the game immensely is if the Difficulty setting meant something. If you could get a better drop rate, different drops, ANYTHING that made it wroth uping the difficulty on lairs, comics, or APs, I think it would give more people a reason to run through already existing content again.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We used to have this feature. Having elite difficulty would drop the same gear but have higher stats on it. The best secondaries for example were 36 but if you weren't on elite, the gear would be as low as 23.

They replaced this for stagnation. I don't think we're getting it back.
  • Options
    eastgatewidoweastgatewidow Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Unless my memory fails, yea that's the guy. And if you think there is drama here Sills....imagine a dev that took things way serious. I wish i could link his stuff, he was a character.

Tiny reference made to that in an ancient video mod...gonna go look.

edit-K it's an easter egg in the dialog that was obviously fan made, but it fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24yn0leXykI&feature=related

As far as I'm concerned, balance will be restored to The Force the day Positron is re-allocated to Champions-Online and (forced if necessary) to make good on his Champions-Online jibe of a Clown-Mastery powerset (that he and War-Witch made at the 'Going-Rogue'-reveal con: SDCC 2010) (3:18 on video linked).

Mmmm.... Karma. :rolleyes:

Dropping my knitting to buff you whilst hitting - Proudly protecting Millennium City's little ones since 2009.

@Mothers_Love
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    From what I understand from a friend on the STO dev team, the producer fights pretty hard to keep his team members from being sucked onto other projects. I wouldn't ever expect to see Matt on CO, especially given STO's current level of success.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    chances010chances010 Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    From what I understand from a friend on the STO dev team, the producer fights pretty hard to keep his team members from being sucked onto other projects. I wouldn't ever expect to see Matt on CO, especially given STO's current level of success.

So does that mean no one stepped up for CO?
    Or they were FORCED to moved to projects other than CO?

Inquiring minds must needs know....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

"Forums are amazing technology. They can take a seemingly normal and
    rational person and make them look like a troll. Short-sighted, misguided, creative effort deprived. Incredible." - Snarlygribbly
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Way better ability balance and more extensive group content are my 2 primary wishes for CO, everything else is a vast secondary concern for me atm (though still nice to have- more costumes and current costume options, bug fixes, better AH and targeting systems, etc). Not being too hopeful, but I'll remain casually optimistic for this next year.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    chances010 wrote: »

Last year, I asked a friend on one of the dev teams if they'd been lent over to NWO during the pre-beta crunch. That person answered that there was no way the producer would let his devs go. There was neither any mention nor intimation of anyone being forced to move across dev teams, nor any discussion of CO. just that STO tended to work hard to keep its teams together.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    chances010 wrote: »

To be blunt, CO didn't have any leadership for a good while there, only management. Probably the kind of Good Company Men who would make the necessary sacrifices to their team for the good of the whole.
    Last year, I asked a friend on one of the dev teams if they'd been lent over to NWO during the pre-beta crunch. That person answered that there was no way the producer would let his devs go. There was neither any mention nor intimation of anyone being forced to move across dev teams, nor any discussion of CO. just that STO tended to work hard to keep its teams together.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that STO's leadership wasn't willing to part with anybody. If you look at the timeline of the Legacy of Romulus launch, the Neverwinter launch, and CO, it makes sense. LoR and NW were crunching and CO was hitting rock bottom all at the same time. CO's veterans were on the other projects, and CNorth was barely getting their feet wet.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    To be blunt, CO didn't have any leadership for a good while there, only management. Probably the kind of Good Company Men who would make the necessary sacrifices to their team for the good of the whole.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that STO's leadership wasn't willing to part with anybody. If you look at the timeline of the Legacy of Romulus launch, the Neverwinter launch, and CO, it makes sense. LoR and NW were crunching and CO was hitting rock bottom all at the same time. CO's veterans were on the other projects, and CNorth was barely getting their feet wet.

Looking back at what CN has brought us when they were just getting used to the game...I can't wait to see what they bring us next.