test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Some thought adjustments that might this game more...colorful.

c0wb0y33c0wb0y33 Posts: 22 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
1). Make a "Pounce" attack for Fighting Claws, with the fighting claws attack animation.

2) Add "Eye" and "Weapons" to all energy attacks locations: That is to say, allow my Hammer to emitt Electrical or force attacks or my Sword to shoot flames, or my eyes to shoot Presser beam or Plasma instead of that weak eye beam power.

3). I'm probably the only one who makes up lame Nemesis: I'd like to chose a Villian from the game it's self to be my nemesis. We could call it "Hunted by" just like in the pen & paper version of this game. Also, not every villain is backed up by an organization or minions, it would be cool if that villain would hunt me "solo" once in a while, you know, fight me "mano e mano" get it?

Any thoughts and additional ideas would be welcomed...
Post edited by c0wb0y33 on

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    1. Yup
    2. Can't be done with current tech. It's a issue. We had Power Replacers. Electric Axes, Fire Swords, Laser Pistols. Not anymore.
    3. They can't update or bring anything new to Nemesis System. It's broken enough from the last "fix". And it's not like we're been asking stuff to the Nemesis System for past 4 years.
    moustache.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would seriously pay good money for the ability to fire force cascades outta my ****. I would go as far to say I'd pay $10 bucks for that :I
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    xmyuikixxmyuikix Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    I would seriously pay good money for the ability to fire force cascades outta my ****. I would go as far to say I'd pay $10 bucks for that :I

Gives enchilada night a whole new meaning. :biggrin:
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Look out! It's an outbreak of SCP-2001-J!

(Caution: Illustration may be unsuitable for some people. Name of disease may be unsuitable for people with an impaired sense of humor.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    3. They can't update or bring anything new to Nemesis System. It's broken enough from the last "fix". And it's not like we're been asking stuff to the Nemesis System for past 4 years.

If its so broken they ought to just rebuild it as its a key feature of the game in the first place.

They don't have the tech to transfer tech from other games? Make tech just for this game.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's so precious when players still have hope.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Look out! It's an outbreak of SCP-2001-J!

(Caution: Illustration may be unsuitable for some people. Name of disease may be unsuitable for people with an impaired sense of humor.)

NOw that is a person with a seriously warped sense of humour, love it.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    It's so precious when players still have hope.

It's so cute when people hang around acting all jaded and cynical and doomsaying so they can hide their hope while having an out if it is not met.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2013

You would pay ten dollar bucks for it? ...where do you find bucks that small?

It's so cute when people hang around acting all jaded and cynical and doomsaying so they can hide their hope while having an out if it is not met.

I'm not 100% sure... but I think you just implied that all those types of people are tsundere...
    n1p1.jpg
  • Options
    tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Spinny, that's a disturbingly accurate description of the forums. Also, hilarious. :biggrin:

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

• Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    c0wb0y33 wrote: »
    1). Make a "Pounce" attack for Fighting Claws, with the fighting claws attack animation.

2) Add "Eye" and "Weapons" to all energy attacks locations: That is to say, allow my Hammer to emitt Electrical or force attacks or my Sword to shoot flames, or my eyes to shoot Presser beam or Plasma instead of that weak eye beam power.

3). I'm probably the only one who makes up lame Nemesis: I'd like to chose a Villian from the game it's self to be my nemesis. We could call it "Hunted by" just like in the pen & paper version of this game. Also, not every villain is backed up by an organization or minions, it would be cool if that villain would hunt me "solo" once in a while, you know, fight me "mano e mano" get it?

1) No. Pounce is fine as it is and doesn't need to be changed.

2) Head slott can count as eyes for many powers. They have tried working on the weapons part, sadly it has been a no go, so far. Cryptic North has been able to do things that at one point we were told were impossible. So who knows, maybe some day they will get it to work.

3)No you are not. One of my Nems is Little Arson Annie, I made her to look like little orphan Annie from the old comic stripes. For the rest. I highly doubt that will ever happen. Time and time again we are told there is no intent to work on the nemesis system, which is why it is in the state it currently is in. It is a shame.

Sorry to bring less than positive news, but that is unfortunately that is the state for the topics you have brought up. Granted Pounce is purely my opinion.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    1) No. Pounce is fine as it is and doesn't need to be changed.

I think the suggestion was, making a new "Pounce" for FC. Not changing the old one.
    Blades could use one too.
    But i'm too busy tsundering for making suggestions like that.
    moustache.gif
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. We're always looking for suggestions -- most of these are beyond the scope of what's feasible, but knowing that there's a demand there is good information. Even if these specifically are beyond feasible, we can potentially find similar things to match that demand, like making more eye customization (even if it isn't tied to powers).
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    spinnytop wrote: »

n1p1.jpg

ACK your stealing Jewels thing :O

Shes gonna disco you for that ._o
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    what I would like is if all missions where setup like star trek online does it.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Like?
    You warp speed 9 to them with a spacecruiser?
    moustache.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    c0wb0y33 wrote: »
    1).

so
    Random nemesis, (press random button, fiddle with costume a bit and name)
    random alien nemesis.(same method)
    Non-existent nemesis,(character was from PnP and never had any enemies)
    Little Amy(literally a little kid after a puppy character),
    Half arsed nemesis(yes that got through the censors, english spelling)
    Common sense(captain chat bans nemesis),
    Leet gamer(for my no gear levelled character)
    Blade waster(a failed blade master),
    Djinn Rummy
    Flaming sea dog(dog with fins and fire powers)
    Sir Duddly done Wrong- and his 'reformed' vampire followers
    Richard Cranium - the names says it all

what was that about no one else creates lame nemesis?
    me and a friend compete to see who can create one that stops the person from moving into lemurian antquities becasue they are laughing too much

• Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Like?
    moustache.gif

I tried to post last night, it seems my post disappeared.

what I meant was how sto have their mission arcs layed out. i.e. the Klingon front and so forth and so forth.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Like?
    moustache.gif

That would be neat actually. We need a comic series in space.

Oh wait I meant...

A Comic Series IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE! :O
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Given power replacers and other things, I'm going to call bs on 'electrical or fire hammer isn't technically feasible.'

'Not technically feasible' isn't synonymous with 'it'll take more work than they want to spend.'

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Given power replacers and other things, I'm going to call bs on 'electrical or fire hammer isn't technically feasible.'

'Not technically feasible' isn't synonymous with 'it'll take more work than they want to spend.'

How about it'll take more man-hours than they have to spend on it?
  • Options
    aetam1aetam1 Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Like?
    moustache.gif

A little bit more info on STO:

The story is split into arcs. The missions inside an arc are more or less connected and usually handle the same foe. Each mission requires you to do the previous one (or skip the previous one). By skipping I mean click the "skip" button, otherwise you won't get the next one.
    You can do each mission as many times as you want, you can also do skipped missions at a later point. The reward of each mission scales to your current lvl. You will get an reward each time you do a mission although the first playthrough might have a different selection. Also each mission provides more xp the first time.

The whole thing looks like that.
    In the left you see the story arc tabs and in the center you see the missions.

I guess you could compare the arcs to the comic series. Although the STO arcs are longer and the missions are not always that closely related.

My stomach is clear and my mind is full of bacon!
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited December 2013
    Yeah. STO has really neat mission system.

Some stories are anything exceptional, but some are really good.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I hope if/when they do add new missions it is done in the STO style.

The fact that the SOCRATES lead up missions are repeatable gives me some hope. Not just for the minor Q but for having more replayable content.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    We already have mission arcs in that style, though. Everybody's down on Westside, for instance, but in concept it's not essentially different from the initial Federation arc of dealing with the KDF and their paranoia about Undine (justified, but still), or the Klingon arc where you start off chasing Drake and discover the treachery of the House of Torg (and implicate the House of J'mpok somewhat, but since J'mpok is the Chancellor, that's not going to stick...).

Then you go off to fight the Hunter-Patriots in Canada or the Irradiates and Major Gertz in the Desert, not terribly different in basic concept from the B'vat arc on the Fed side or the Fek'Ihri for the KDF.

Now, the flow between missions could be handled more smoothly, but the concept is already in place - it would just take a more sophisticated hand on the writing tiller.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    edited December 2013
    STO missions are much better refined. Even with different themes they have sense of continuity across all arcs. Their NPC have dialog options only for flavor.
    And they do have writing, instead of pop-culture references.

CO has... Nothing? :rolleyes:

But then, CO has this hideous blue background with Comic Sans front everywhere so it's even better we don't have pursue too much stories. Reading isn't exactly the most pleasant thing here.
  • Options
    aetam1aetam1 Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    We already have mission arcs in that style, though. Everybody's down on Westside, for instance, but in concept it's not essentially different from the initial Federation arc of dealing with the KDF and their paranoia about Undine (justified, but still), or the Klingon arc where you start off chasing Drake and discover the treachery of the House of Torg (and implicate the House of J'mpok somewhat, but since J'mpok is the Chancellor, that's not going to stick...).

Then you go off to fight the Hunter-Patriots in Canada or the Irradiates and Major Gertz in the Desert, not terribly different in basic concept from the B'vat arc on the Fed side or the Fek'Ihri for the KDF.

Now, the flow between missions could be handled more smoothly, but the concept is already in place - it would just take a more sophisticated hand on the writing tiller.

We have mission arcs in co, yes. But co also has the usual mmo style of quests. You have like 5 quests at the same time and 3 of them are go kill something and loot the bodies. You just get all available quests at the npcs, then go to the area were most of them are.
    In STO each quest is an instance. So in a way each quest is like the comic series in co. You do only one quest at a time. And each quest does have some sort of story. Yes STO has it's share of bland quests. And the lack of open world quests is not always that great (although they do have their first space adventure zone now).

My stomach is clear and my mind is full of bacon!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Let's not forget about one thing. All mission in STO are nicely packed in a clear, convenient, easy to navigate UI. That's a big difference. :biggrin:
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    How about it'll take more man-hours than they have to spend on it?

That's cool, but people need to SAY that rather than the wildly untrue 'technical issue!'

And, yeah, UI matters.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    That's cool, but people need to SAY that rather than the wildly untrue 'technical issue!'

And, yeah, UI matters.

If we could assume infinite energy FTL travel would be possible for something with mass.

Without infinite energy FTL isn't technically feasible.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Ahh the tech issue. Apparently they cant fix the targeting cause tech reason.
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If we could assume infinite energy FTL travel would be possible for something with mass.

If a feature would increase server load by a factor of 10 per instance without significant architectural changes, that would be "not technically feasible".

If that aura would look cool, but 100 toons using it in a zone would be a slideshow on anything less than dual GTX Titans in SLI, that would be "not technically feasible".

If some UI tweaks would take one developer off Neverwinter for 24 working hours to back-port the code from NW's version of Cryptic Engine, it's technically feasible. Cryptic just may not want it done, though.

Those are hypothetical, of course. My point is that we should be careful with our language here. What's a technical issue and what's a Cryptic/PWE management issue are two very different things.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Actually, infinite energy would only get you to the speed of light. You'd need transfinite energy to exceed that (and your mass would become transfinite as well, which could be interesting...).

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Actually, infinite energy would only get you to the speed of light. You'd need transfinite energy to exceed that (and your mass would become transfinite as well, which could be interesting...).

Pfft, it's just a theory. Infinite mass, ha, ramblings of a delusional mad man.
  • Options
    xmyuikixxmyuikix Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Pfft, it's just a theory. Infinite mass, ha, ramblings of a delusional mad man.

We're all mad. 95% of the world is in denial!
  • Options
    crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ok, let's not be completley rose colored glasses here about the differences between STO and CO.

-STO has the Episodes and reguardless of your opinion on the previous mission chains in CO this system would, IMO, be a better way to add additional content in the future starting...NOW.

-STO's tutorial/help systems(Disclaimer: I've played half of the brand new Fed and none of the brand new Klingon but I have played the new-ish Romulan one all the way through) are actually, IMO, one of the worst Tutorial/help systems I have ever encountered in a MMO.

-Not all of CO's story arcs are pop culture references and yucks. That is just an over generalization. It is true, however, that alot of the original CO missions do have pop culture references but even then not all of them are really that bad.

-STO's Season 8 begins with an absolutely great mission and then leads you....into.....grinding....zzzzzzzz. Sorry, the storyline itself just putters out. Previous Episodes are, on the other hand, more consistant so it's hit and miss.

-CO's UI is not without it's flaws but, then again, neither is STO's UI. They don't even have /who in STO and that's basic MMO 101 for UI commands. And NW's "Action" UI has tons of issues like, off the top of my head, you cannot use a vendor in the game and see any of your UI at all except the vendor transactions.

-What's wrong with blue? I can read the CO mission dialogue just fine. <shrugs>

-STO's Exchange is superior to CO's Auction House in just about every single concievable way. On the same token, the same could be said about comparing NW's AH to STO's Exchange(except for the whole running on Astral Diamonds thing which would not, imo, work in CO at all).

-STO's Tailor is absolutely dreadful. It has placement issues. There are unnecessary restrictions placed on factions(I can see the whole CBS uniform rules thing so I don't mean that since it's kind of out of their hands). And it's colors don't match each other so black =/= black =/= black(you can replace black with any color you like...assuming that color is even an option for the piece you're looking at. Overall, the restrictions themselves seem counterproductive to profit. I know the game seemingly tells me on a pretty regular basis, "Dirty Romulan, go buy your 2 or so costume sets for Romulans and go sit in the corner. You're not <faction you actually joined, either Fed of Klingon> enough for their stuff....despite joining them." Course, on the other hand, NW has almost no customization other than creation and even that is extremely limited....and their extremely limited graphics options STILL clip in alot of cases.

As for the budget/manpower thing. It might be an actual issue but Cryptic North has been pulling some pretty interesting rabbits out of the proverbial hat here recently so I say we give them a shot and don't just assume they can't do something until they point blank tell us they cannot do something. IMO, they have thus far earned at least that level of consideration. I did like Fatal Error aside from the abysmal drop rates and Cybermind having too many hp for proper fight flow IMO.

The oddity I see here is that NW has been borrowing HEAVILY from STO since it's creation. Somtimes this is good, sometimes this is bad. Our new Dev Team are all X-Pirates. I say it's time they went on a loot and pillage run of our neighbors. They do have some pretty stuff we could put to good use here. Arr! :cool:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    jedite2012jedite2012 Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Seems to me Cryptic doesn't have any love for their games they created

Made Cox then sold it
    Made CO then made STO which had more attention
    Left CO for dead to work on new mmo Neverwinter

Also gave publishing rights to perfect world which made it a money grubbing mmo. If you want awesome stuff in the game you have to now buy it..even worst you buy over expensive keys to open lock boxes which you get for FREE and which gives you such little chance to get the good stuff from it.

I am trying to stay faithful to this game but every new content they release is new lock boxes and costumes.

Vehicles is also a mistake, It doesn't even feel like a super hero game anymore
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    jedite2012 wrote: »
    Seems to me Cryptic doesn't have any love for their games they created

Made Cox then sold it

Also gave publishing rights to perfect world which made it a money grubbing mmo. If you want awesome stuff in the game you have to now buy it..even worst you buy over expensive keys to open lock boxes which you get for FREE and which gives you such little chance to get the good stuff from it.

I am trying to stay faithful to this game but every new content they release is new lock boxes and costumes.

Vehicles is also a mistake, It doesn't even feel like a super hero game anymore

I just need to point out 2 things:

1) You don't actually have to spend money to get any of those things.

2) CO has been getting consistent attention for quite a while now...at which point are you and all the other doom cultists going to take off the black hooded robes and notice? All your dark rituals don't seem to have gotten the attention of your dark god... what was its name again... Enn'See'Saft?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Point of order - your Rom character hasn't joined either Starfleet or the KDF. D'tan's allied the Republic with both groups, with the result that neither side can attack them without hitting their own people. Also, each side can be played against the other - as seen in the denouement of "Spheres of Influence", when Capt. Shon suggests that destroying the Iconian Gate in the Jouret system would be prudent; Subcommander A'dranna then threatens to have the Republic rethink their alliance with the Federation, and the Klingon (whose name I can never remember - captain of the Bortasq') says that they will back their allies all the way. Shon is forced to back down, or risk the Federation losing all influence in the entire sector block.

That's why you have free access to the Romulan ships every ten levels, but have to pay if you want to use the ships of your faction (well, except when you can get in on a giveaway - my Rom toons have access to the Rhode Island-class ships, and of course completing "Temporal Ambassador" still gives you one Starfleet-issue Ambassador-class support cruiser) - while your erstwhile allies can't have any Warbird, ever.

On the other hand, you do have access to a unique costume based on the side you chose to support. Pity it still uses the washed-out pastel palette selected for the Rihannsu...

(Yeah, the costume selector gets raves from all the critics, even the ones who don't like STO, but it's not a patch on ours!)

Incidentally, can we please call a moratorium on the use of "money-grubbing" in reference to Cryptic, or any other corporation, as if that were some sort of indictment? Last I checked, this was a for-profit company, not a charity...

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Made Cox then sold it

First there were complains that we have only lockboxes. And no new Z-Store costumes.

Now we are in the stage when bad things are lockboxes AND new Z-Store costumes? :biggrin:

Good, can't wait for complains about bugfixes.

Also, all Cryptic games are now published by PWE. Not just CO. Previously were by Atari. And their very first game was published by NCSoft. Cryptic are just a developer studio, not a publisher.

They're not the only studio in this industry rolling that way, you know?

Also, there is one thing quite puzzling for me. Every time when subscriber complains about keys/vehicles/costumes/whatever not being free for subscribers.

And stipend is exactly for what?

Hoarding it, so it looks cool under your character sheet?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    crosschan wrote: »
    Ok, let's not be completley rose colored glasses here about the differences between STO and CO.

*snip*

-STO's tutorial/help systems(Disclaimer: I've played half of the brand new Fed and none of the brand new Klingon but I have played the new-ish Romulan one all the way through) are actually, IMO, one of the worst Tutorial/help systems I have ever encountered in a MMO.

-*snip*Arr! :cool:

I played 10 minutes of the tutorial and then un installed the game.
    The oddity I see here is that NW has been borrowing HEAVILY from STO since it's creation. Somtimes this is good, sometimes this is bad. Our new Dev Team are all X-Pirates. I say it's time they went on a loot and pillage run of our neighbors. They do have some pretty stuff we could put to good use here. Arr

I couldn't stop thinking of the CO tutorial while playin g the NW one and comparing the Westside missions to the Blacklake district ones.

• Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited December 2013

For what it is worth Cryptic did not give publishing rights to PW. Cryptic was owned by Atari and sold to PW. Cryptic had no say in the matter.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    STO tutorial does exacty what tutorials have to do in telling you basics and UI.

The problem is, it starts with ground part of the game, and STO ground combat is absolutely the worst part of the game, enough to discourage people from playing. I cringe evry time when I have to play ground levels and it's only space part of the game keeping me in. It's the last part of STO to show first to new players. :biggrin:

Meanwhile, CO tutorial no longer tells about blocking. Not like it was really well explained in old tutorial - but it was there.
    -Not all of CO's story arcs are pop culture references and yucks. That is just an over generalization. It is true, however, that alot of the original CO missions do have pop culture references but even then not all of them are really that bad.
    There is no single well written mission in CO. Period. The best ones are passable, but that's all. All non adventure packs/comic series missions in CO are something you play for loot and XP skipping as much story as it is possible, because there is nothing to care about anyway.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Good, can't wait for complains about bugfixes.

Pfft, small potatoes. I can't wait until they actually do come out with a new zone and people complain that they didn't do it right... and then a week later when people get right back to complaining that there's nothing new since the new zone!
  • Options
    crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    STO tutorial does exacty what tutorials have to do in telling you basics and UI.

Guessing you're a STO player so this next part might not be possible for you to do(this is not an insult) but seeing as I played STO in the beta and then didn't play it until about a month ago I believe I have a better set of 'newb eyes" than most STO vets.

So split your mind in half. One half that knows how to play and the other that has no idea how this game even works. Now run the Romulan Tutorial. Count the amount of times the newb side of your brain struggles while the vet side of your mind says,"All you have to do it hit "X button" and it's so much easier" while the tutorial waits until you've slogged your way though this painful spot and sometimes(not always) has that momment,"Ok, that looks painful. If you'd hit the "X button" then this would be much easier for you."

I, personally, owe the majority of my playing abilities in STO to a combination of having been a CO Vet so I know some of the mechanics and friends like Vladcul, Bob, Kenpo, Meredy, Nepht, and others(sorry if I didn't name you) who gave me those valuable,"Newb, you're doing it wrong. Do this!" momments.

I stand by my previous statement that this is likely close to if not the single worst tutorial I have ever encountered in a MMO and I've been playing these things since the MUD/MUSH/UO/EQ days.
    The problem is, it starts with ground part of the game, and STO ground combat is absolutely the worst part of the game, enough to discourage people from playing. I cringe evry time when I have to play ground levels and it's only space part of the game keeping me in. It's the last part of STO to show first to new players. :biggrin:

While the ground portion of the game is not the best I do not hold your personal level of disdain for it to be honest. That is simply a differnce in opinion likely. Now I'm not saying it's perfect or that it couldn't use some dramatic improvement...just that I don't mind it so much.
    Meanwhile, CO tutorial no longer tells about blocking. Not like it was really well explained in old tutorial - but it was there.
    I agree that the removal of the Block Station from the Tutorial was a completely boneheaded move and should be returned ASAP. However, unless it's changed recently, there is still a poorly designed block lesson in the Black Talon fight.
    There is no single well written mission in CO. Period. The best ones are passable, but that's all. All non adventure packs/comic series missions in CO are something I play for loot and XP skipping as much story as it is possible, because there is nothing to care about anyway.

I fixed that lil part in red right there because, in all honesty, it's your opinion. I, personally, do not agree with it and that is my opinion. Neither is right or wrong. They're opinions. :wink:

Jon: I was aware of the storyline reasoning behind the whole Romulan thing but from a pure mechanics and design standpoint...yeah, it's still pretty weak and not allowing the psuedo-faction the ability to buy alot of the things in the Z-Store has to be doing amazing things for the profit lines if you think about it.

As for the ships, I believe there are less options available than you may be aware of in this aspect. I know a few weeks ago I picked up some super cheap ships on the Exchange(the Advanced Escort being one of them) and couldn't use any of them. There are also alot of the Fed ships in the ingame store which are not available to Romulans. Honestly I don't think it would be as bad if they would just put in the color schemes/themes and window dressing for me to be able to paint up something like a warbird to look like a Fed ship.

It is my opinion that the Romulan psuedo-side is lacking in several aspects which would encourage me to give Cryptic that money stuff they often times seem to be allergic to in favor of what I would consider less than ideal marketing models and such. On one hand I'm not buying costume sets because I can't but on the other hand there's rarely a night that goes by where I don't hear someone bragging that they spent 400 bucks(this is not an exaggeration) in the Z-store to basically buy the Z-Store ships, strip them of their unique parts, and build what they consider a "good ship." This appears, from my limited observations to not be that uncommon.

I, on the other hand, am currently testing(when I'm not in their mostly amazing winter event) what I call the "CO Theory" where I'm going with drops, mission rewards, and exchange items(keeping in mind the STO Froob Cap of 10m EC) just to see if all of this Z-Store P2Win nonsense is even necessary. So far I run a Ha'Apax and an Obelisk and I'm halfway through this process and having no real issues. The Obelisk can solo the borg encounter(don't consider how many times I died...only that it happened). So things like Z-Store, Lockbox, and Fleet ships may be cute but I'm wondering if they're even really necessary at all.

Ok, longwinded post is long. Until next time.
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Well, if ANY writing is writing, then CO indeed has storylines. Better than not having any, I guess.

As for STO tutorial. I barely remember old Fed one, but it wasn't giving me difficulties. Either because it's very similar to CO, or because of help pop-ups. I can't recall. My only Fed toon was made to unlock KDF and back then KDF had no tutorial.

I can't recall Romulan tutorial because I was blazing through it not even reading quests. But I can recall that new KDF one has popups at pretty much every action, along with voiceovers. Guiding new player through pretty much everything, even equipping weapons.
    I, on the other hand, am currently testing(when I'm not in their mostly amazing winter event) what I call the "CO Theory" where I'm going with drops, mission rewards, and exchange items(keeping in mind the STO Froob Cap of 10m EC) just to see if all of this Z-Store P2Win nonsense is even necessary. So far I run a Ha'Apax and an Obelisk and I'm halfway through this process and having no real issues. The Obelisk can solo the borg encounter(don't consider how many times I died...only that it happened). So things like Z-Store, Lockbox, and Fleet ships may be cute but I'm wondering if they're even really necessary at all.
    Outside of competitive PvP, it is not. STO is as difficult as is CO. Difference between having Z-Store ships and consoles and not having them is as important, as between having and not having Legion gear. It helps, but that's all.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Well, I can say that I've leveled toons to 50 in all three factions, and haven't dropped a penny of real-world money on STO. There's still a metric frakton of missions left to do, of course, even without considering all that "grinding reputation" nonsense...

• Options
    r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited December 2013
    2. Can't be done with current tech. It's a issue. We had Power Replacers. Electric Axes, Fire Swords, Laser Pistols. Not anymore.
    moustache.gif

Wow im myself a silver user with a freeform character but.. what youre saying must really HURT to lifetimers and Gold members...

Power replacers are indeed a KEY feature a a hero game that was meant to give the player the ability to make is own personal and custom character...i fell sorry for you guys oO

maybe Gold and Lifetimers should open a petition and ask teh devs of bringing back the essentials of this game before releasing more stuff we can buy for cash or by grind.. ?!

just sayin.. when i joined this game is was cool to see freeforms who had replaced powers...it made the game loook bigger/ more variety.

As ive been reading here i noticed the Dev team has changed? maybe we need to point those issues out to them so they can take a look at it?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Well, we have auras now.
    Hopefully power replacers can be also made as a purely cosmetic feature.
    Thus, monetized.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I agree that the removal of the Block Station from the Tutorial was a completely boneheaded move and should be returned ASAP. However, unless it's changed recently, there is still a poorly designed block lesson in the Black Talon fight.

I'd love it if they at least changed the "this is how you block, which you need to be doing right now, not actually reading this" dialog to something that didn't stop gamepads from being able to block until the OK is clicked on with the mouse.