test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unacceptible, Cryptic.

missmaeheymmissmaeheym Posts: 33 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
This wasn't balancing. This was a gutting.

Everything about my characters oriented around DPS from high offense. Not even necessarily crit. I could understand a bit of crit chance reduction. That was ok.

But to totally gut the impact of Offense the way you did went beyond the pale.

550 offense gives +17% dmg strength?? Down from +44%?? REALLY??

Are you going to recompense me for all the time/effort/resources spent equipping my characters around the Offense concept?

Retcon is all fine and dandy, but NOBODY equips characters with the idea that the people who make the game are going to come in behind them and completely invalidate the effectiveness of the very concepts on which your character is designed.

Clearly you had an idea, but it was not thought through all the way, nor tested as thoroughly as was needed. You need to revisit your changes, asap.

-- Miss Mayhem (aka Sanction aka Mynx aka WARHEAD)

1004 days subscribed----and perhaps not much longer.
Post edited by missmaeheym on

Comments

• Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Damage is calculated differently now. The percentage is applied to your damage total, not base damage.

The result is that offense has a bigger effect than before, and your actual damage is higher.

Long story short, the math changed.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Wish it were that simple, my dps has dropped significantly.
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It kinda is that simple. The damage from +Offense went up, not down because of the formula change. If your DPS dropped significantly it's because of something else in your build(s). Can you post specifics on the build, specs, total offense score, crit chance prior and post patch, etc.? Would help find what's actually happening.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    That's the song we're heard about 99th time so far.
    moustache.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yet they didn't BUFFED Defence... >:/
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I spent yesterday asking some friends how the changes affected them. Some were worried about the numbers and the math changes, but most didn't notice any particular hit to their survivability in actual play. Admittedly yesterday connectivity issues overwhelmed everything else, but the numbers are a balance tool, nothing more.

Where the hell is this spreadsheet obsession getting us except one toxic argument after the next? Unless you are a compulsive arguer who wallows in misery, how the hell is this fun? How is this the wonderful pastime, the welcome respite from a screwed up world and the dull routines and petty frustrations of everyday life, that gaming should bloody well be?

Fricking WoW and their **** meters and their gear scores and the other leet garbage that's come from raiding culture have ruined MMOs. It's time to take them back. It's time to stop obsessing over the damn numbers and start having fun again. The numbers are useful for playtest. The playtest is over. Let's play the actual game and then see if problems arise before getting upset over the numbers.

/end soapbox
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    bellatorrexbellatorrex Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So your DPS went down... Wha? Mine hasn't, mine has gotten even a little better to be honest. And, I know people who this dodge nerf hasn't done jack to... Well okay those two are Kenpo and Cyrone, but my point still stands. Anyway because of the title this is the only true acceptable answer to being afraid of flipping your paradigms alittle.

tumblr_inline_mlwak74mTN1qkn31q.gif

Edit: I habve fun Thunderax, though years of playing rpgs has convinced me other wise you don't fight the big boss with lv 15 gear when you are lv 30 XD.... but otherwise, yes, you all should have fun, consider the number secondary.
    edited November 2013
    So your DPS went down... Wha? Mine hasn't, mine has gotten even a little better to be honest. And, I know people who this dodge nerf hasn't done jack to... Well okay those two are Kenpo and Cyrone, but my point still stands. Anyway because of the title this is the only true acceptable answer to being afraid of flipping your paradigms

I don't think you should make it sound like you have to be an awesome character builder to not be affected by these changes. I'm fine with the changes and I'm no great character builder. I build only for concept and never joined the dodge/avoid bandwagon. I don't see what the big issue is. The game is still easy.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I spent yesterday asking some friends how the changes affected them. Some were worried about the numbers and the math changes, but most didn't notice any particular hit to their survivability in actual play. Admittedly yesterday connectivity issues overwhelmed everything else, but the numbers are a balance tool, nothing more.

Where the hell is this spreadsheet obsession getting us except one toxic argument after the next? Unless you are a compulsive arguer who wallows in misery, how the hell is this fun? How is this the wonderful pastime, the welcome respite from a screwed up world and the dull routines and petty frustrations of everyday life, that gaming should bloody well be?

Fricking WoW and their **** meters and their gear scores and the other leet garbage that's come from raiding culture have ruined MMOs. It's time to take them back. It's time to stop obsessing over the damn numbers and start having fun again. The numbers are useful for playtest. The playtest is over. Let's play the actual game and then see if problems arise before getting upset over the numbers.

/end soapbox
    I don't think you should make it sound like you have to be an awesome character builder to not be affected by these changes. I'm fine with the changes and I'm no great character builder. I build only for concept and never joined the dodge/avoid bandwagon. I don't see what the big issue is. The game is still easy.

Yes.
    moustache.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I know people who this dodge nerf hasn't done jack to... Well okay those two are Kenpo and Cyrone, but my point still stands.

Man, it must suck to be them.

I mean, to have their Dodge unchanged... Poor guys. Mine got buffed.
    edited November 2013

Some people fall into some invisible trap that their imaginary luck is so bad that they always fail at something even if the odds are 99%. In short they feel they need 100% to see any respectable change, and any proof you offer to the contrary is always wrong no matter what you say, proof you give and having them demonstrating for you with an actual tracker running.

This change has done nothing to me, other than increase my over all damage output, and yea I even had some invested dodge, I still tanked Gravitar like a pro post change, and the damage output against me didn't go up either.

It won't matter how much evidence you present in the end, these people have convinced themselves that they are some how an exception to the rule. And they refuse to accept the facts as they really are.
    Fricking WoW and their **** meters and their gear scores and the other leet garbage that's come from raiding culture have ruined MMOs.
    Sorry, but I will have to strongly disagree with this remark. WoW didn't create this ideal, nor did WoW start MMOs or any other myriad things that WoW is often given the credit for. Munchkinning is as old as gaming itself, and there are always going to be people that obsess over that 0.1% difference, no matter how beneficial it is. Even chess has its munchkins, the people who sit there and plan out their moves way in advance and consider every outcome. People just tend to call it being strategic more.

Hell, even the hero game mechanics are a munchkin paradise, along with many other game systems.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Oh believe me Biff, I'm not, it's just, from my perspective it seems like people just don't want to adapt and change, hell, evolve their builds to a new level sometimes because something that has been working got changed. Now, just to clarify, I have only ever been gold for one month ever out of my almost 3 years on Champs... and that was two years ago and I didn't even really bother with builds. That changes today though especially because these changes made me want to get gold.

Edit: What I meant was FBM, was that despite the nerf to dodge, it really didn't stop ether of those two from still making dodge viable from what they said in the S.E.C.R.E.T. Chat channel, and I was with Kenpo for some of his testing in the powerhouse last night. Now, when I get those sub cards today and get gold, I plan to make for one of many toons I plan to make will be a dodge passive toon, because I am not going to let a nerf ruin my ideas and concepts.
    edited November 2013
    Actually, I find (oddly enough) that things may have gotten slightly better with this change. Why?

I ran Gravitar with a 4.4k HP Crowd Controller and only almost died 3 times.

Gravitar on the other hand went down like a ton of bricks, it was like all the rage from the dodge change was shoved in her face.

I will admit though, I've had to change fighting tactics on some of my characters, simply because, dodge allowed me to use charge attacks more often, I can still use them but not as often so spamming or tapping actually increase my DPS.
  • Options
    pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ON CRIT CHANGES:

Why did they punish those who actually have DEX as A SUPERSTAT and gain their crits from it? It would have made better sense to nerf those who get their 40% crit chance from gear alone, I mean... yeah. With 430 DEx, I had less than 34% crit chance. I just dunno, damn.
    The gear is no effort whatsoever.

Maybe I should have that AOPM and CRIT GEAR, right. (I have the same crit chance on my grimoire, that's just sad)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
  • Options
    atompenguinatompenguin Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah. Some of my characters actually got stronger damagewise and defensewise there wasn't enough of a change to care. I tanked some alerts with my main quarry user and was never in any danger of dying even after the 'devastating' changes. Meh.

I'm probably going to be lazy and not even bother switching out crit and dodge gems.
    -Campaign: Spells and Coin
    --Part 1: Spells and Coin (NW-DHM3XQVQK)
    --Part 2: A Blind Eye (NW-DI3QTHZGJ)
    --Part 3: Dodo's Dinner (NW-DHPA8O253)

-One Shots
    --The Wizard of Eldeur (NW-DRKQNE4S7)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Edit: What I meant was FBM, was that despite the nerf to dodge, it really didn't stop ether of those two from still making dodge viable from what they said in the S.E.C.R.E.T. Chat channel, and I was with Kenpo for some of his testing in the powerhouse last night.

Yup. Dodge builds tested that I remember you were present for were Justice, Broken Arrow and Stalker. I don't think you were there for R.E.L.I.C., Blur or Stone.

But at any rate I chose those during the limited time I had last night because they represented a good assortment of the different ways I use dodge.

Dodge with a dodge passive (Quarry, Way of the Warrior and Night Warrior)
    Dodge without a dodge passive (Aura of Primal Majesty and Defiance)
    Dodge with ranged (Stalker, Justice, Broken Arrow)
    Dodge with melee (Justice, Stalker, R.E.L.I.C., Stone, Blur)
    Dodge layered on top of another defense for tanking/off-tanking (Stone)

I had no issues anywhere (as you bore witness to) and the only dodge related change I made last night was dropping Parry from Stone to give him Fluidity so he can maintain 70 dodge/70 avoidance on top of Defiance whenever I feel like adding another persistent layer of defense on top of everything else he has going on. I may do that for Crimson Komodo as well but she's a little different so her numbers won't be quite as high if I do.

And everyone hits harder and kills faster which is damage mitigation in and of itself since dead enemies aren't hurting anyone...usually...
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited November 2013

/end soapbox

The 800lb gorilla may not have started the culture but it sure did spread it and mutated it into an especially nasty form.

I pretty much lost all interest in the other supers game that's out right now once I heard about their endgame, gear score and all. SCR, 11k Q secondaries and R5 mods are enough for me.

For the "nerf", so far my AT characters that got their dodge from a SCR breastplate of agility and a gamblers were still sitting right around where they were before (usually just under 20ish from just over 20ish). Damage done hasn't noticeably changed either.

About the only one I expect to actually feel a difference on is my DP/Devices conversion with BCR/RR and Quarry. That one was pretty much the definition of tankmage. Nearly as survivable with Quarry in an offensive role as with a defensive passive in support or defensive roles and does a ton more damage to boot. Tankmaging is fun on occasions but it usually means you shouldn't get too attached to whatever is letting you do it.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Some people are too obsessed with the numbers on their character sheet and their often mistaken understanding of their overall impact. How about you give us some actual examples of how your gameplay has changed -- what do you feel you're unable to do now that you were able to do before?

Last night I ran through about 9 of my toons and tried Gravitar. There were no failures. I died a couple of times, but that's not really that unusual. The encounter felt maybe 5% harder, but that's just a gut feeling.

At any rate, I really think some people doth protest too much. Way, way, too much.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • Options
    gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    *wavewaves*

Hi. I'm the voice of sanity saying that my Behemoth of all toons got a damage BUFF last night. Now with Aggressor at R3, A Retaliation R2 block, and a fully charged Demolish with R2 and Adv ALL Applied.... my Roomsweeper, That's right MY ROOMSWEEPER of all things, does 10K crits and 6K regulars. Haymaker gets up to 12K with it all applied and 8K without it. And that's at R2 with Nullifying punch. (All of this was against the Progenitors at Andrithal. Couldn't find a Golem)

Now you might be saying "BUT GFN! You probably geared for crit sev!" Nope. I didn't. Sev is just 60%. Chance is 18.6%. "But your survivability is gonna drop!" Not really. I mean yes.. less chance means that the Crit=Heals spec isn't going to proc as much. But that only means I'll need to watch my health a bit more. Means I'll have to do Blocking. I say "woo!", since I already block A LOT to get that double damage going thanks to retaliation. So, ladies and gentlemen, I got a few words of wisdom.
    SUCK IT UP.
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Astonishing.... really.

No, I don't crunch numbers.
    No, I am not very good at builds. It took me forever to find something that worked well.
    So, YES, I have to go off what I am seeing on the character sheet and in the numbers I see when fighting.
    and yes, despite what you people claim SHOULD be reality, my dps did drop.

And yet, through all these through all these carefully crafted witticisms lambasting the validity of my original post, only one person actually tried to offer any sort of understanding, helpful response.

Thank you, Kempo. I appreciate your effort.

It is a glaring spotlight on the community that the first instinct is to blast the OP to deny their thoughts any weight or meaning.

Again...Astonishing.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Again...Astonishing.

Considering the flood of DOOM! posts this may be your first but the boards have seen more than their fair share of them.

Offense getting moved to a different layer means a smaller displayed number can have a bigger effect on your total damage than a larger number in the old layer.
  • Options
    quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Were you asking for help in the original post, or just complaining and threatening to quit because some numbers changed? Because those two things are different, and tend to result in different kinds of responses.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    quasimojo1 wrote: »
    Were you asking for help in the original post, or just complaining and threatening to quit because some numbers changed? Because those two things are different, and tend to result in different kinds of responses.

Isn't demanding recompense asking for help?
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    and yes, despite what you people claim SHOULD be reality, my dps did drop.

Ok, but it didn't for me or seemingly any the other people posting here...

so I'm kind of stumped.

Sorry!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Um... the damage of all my characters went up.

heck, I actually use dodge and avoid (still do btw, that heroic agility piece is still slotted on whatever characters had it before!) and the nerf barely affected me. My dps characters are still dpstanking alerts like wild fiends.

Who didn't get the memo? The apocalypse was cancelled, ninja kitty slew the evil horsemen.
  • Options
    blkjackwilliamsblkjackwilliams Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    Ok, but it didn't for me or seemingly any the other people posting here...

so I'm kind of stumped.

Sorry!

17% multiplicitive vs 44% additive. In order for the 17% to match what they had with 44% they'd need at least a 158.8% total working damage buff in order to match the 44%. Anything above that would be in the new offense's favor. Anything less and they'd be better with old offense.

Check (Initial 100% is base damage):

100% + 100% + 44% = 244% total

(100% + 100%) * 1.17 = 234%

100% + 150% + 44% = 294%

(100% + 150%) * 1.17 = 292%

100% + 158.8 + 44% = 302.8%

(100% + 158.8) * 1.17 = 302.8% <--- Break even point

100% + 200% + 44% = 344%

(100% + 200%) * 1.17 = 351% <--- Andvantage demonstrated

Some people will have more damage with the new offense, others won't. It's not a global buff, and I've seen as many people with lower damage as I have seen with more damage. Mostly this seems to be a buff to people who already had high levels of damage buffs, and people with lower and moderate ammounts of buff and damage boosts should see less damage.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Wish it were that simple, my dps has dropped significantly.

Ok stop right there. Cryptic has stopped using Cryptic maths and are using real maths now. You see the offense stats down on your info and you freak out. Your DPS hasnt gone down because offense has WENT UP its just how its shown on the stats page thats changed. Unless you come from Wonderland where up is down, then you have my sincere condolences .
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Typical Cryptic Message Board mentality:

"Listen, this patch hasn't affected me, therefore the ones that it has affected are being whiny. Stop throwing a tantrum, they are just 'numbers' and no one really cares about mini-maxing your numbers, or at least I don't care about your numbers. This nerf works to my advantage, so the best thing you can do is STFU."

Actually, from what I tested before the server went completely bonkers...

I still couldn't bring myself to care about the changes. It's not that they don't affect me (they do), but it's really hard to care about someone breaking your skateboard when you live on a dirt road.
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thank you very much, that cleared up a lot of my confusion.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Typical Cryptic Message Board mentality:

"Listen, this patch hasn't affected me, therefore the ones that it has affected are being whiny. Stop throwing a tantrum, they are just 'numbers' and no one really cares about mini-maxing your numbers, or at least I don't care about your numbers. This nerf works to my advantage, so the best thing you can do is STFU."

Cryptic, I almost want to apologize about the sorry state of your game being your fault. Almost. I blame you for being a douche-magnet.

You dont understand Cyber. The number on the offense stat screen has went down. BUT the damage it causes has went UP. Most of my toons are a bit borked now due to the nerf and I dont really like the nerf but I paid attention to what was coming, I understood it.

But the OP screaming my offense is down when across the board when its really up is an overreaction to what they have seen on the stats screen.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    You dont understand Cyber. The number on the offense stat screen has went down. BUT the damage it causes has went UP. Most of my toons are a bit borked now due to the nerf and I dont really like the nerf but I paid attention to what was coming, I understood it.

But the OP screaming my offense is down when across the board when its really up is an overreaction to what they have seen on the stats screen.

Not all damage went up. You have to have cerain combinations of new offense and remaining effective damage boosts to see a buff.

Some people have that, and some people don't.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Not all damage went up. You have to have cerain combinations of new offense and remaining effective damage boosts to see a buff.

Some people have that, and some people don't.

But thats due to changes in powers not offense, I smell some stealth nerfs on certain powers after having a look at some numbers and thats the unacceptable part, I detest stealth power nerfs.

Now if the OP gave us his/her power list we can test and see what powers have been nerfed behind our backs instead of going THE SKY IS FALLING \o\

Offense has gone up not down so its something else.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    It is confusing since to be completely frank, while my damage hasn't gone up too much right now (in a tank role and well my offense hasn't really changed much) but I do hit a little harder which is nice.
    edited November 2013
    it's really hard to care about someone breaking your skateboard when you live on a dirt road.

I hear ya, I'd be more worried about moving to a better road too.
    17% multiplicitive vs 44% additive. In order for the 17% to match what they had with 44% they'd need at least a 158.8% total working damage buff in order to match the 44%. Anything above that would be in the new offense's favor. Anything less and they'd be better with old offense.

Check (Initial 100% is base damage):

100% + 100% + 44% = 244% total

(100% + 100%) * 1.17 = 234%

100% + 150% + 44% = 294%

(100% + 150%) * 1.17 = 292%

100% + 158.8 + 44% = 302.8%

(100% + 158.8) * 1.17 = 302.8% <--- Break even point

100% + 200% + 44% = 344%

(100% + 200%) * 1.17 = 351% <--- Andvantage demonstrated

Some people will have more damage with the new offense, others won't. It's not a global buff, and I've seen as many people with lower damage as I have seen with more damage. Mostly this seems to be a buff to people who already had high levels of damage buffs, and people with lower and moderate ammounts of buff and damage boosts should see less damage.

Thank you for taking the time to post this (admittedly I wasn't). This is exactly what I was getting at in my first reply in this thread. I'm only left wondering who (besides some ATs) doesn't have fairly high levels of damage buffs as there is almost no reason not to in the game's current state.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've been busy, so I didn't get much chance to play since the changes went live, but last night I stole a few minutes from my sleep schedule and ran Hypernova (a Behemoth) through Gertz' Bolt-Hole.

And I ripped him a new bolt-hole. It wasn't even difficult. I did die a little later, fighting the Irradiates at the choke-point just south of the ghost town, but that was because I let myself get surrounded and all the particle effects slowed my screen just enough that I didn't hit my heal in time.

I'll play some of my other toons later, just to see what's what with them. It's worth noting, though, that I'm still Silver, so every last one of them is an AT.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Yay! You didn't have a concept for a character that was agile and dodgey! *claps for Biff*
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    But thats due to changes in powers not offense, I smell some stealth nerfs on certain powers after having a look at some numbers and thats the unacceptable part, I detest stealth power nerfs.

Now if the OP gave us his/her power list we can test and see what powers have been nerfed behind our backs instead of going THE SKY IS FALLING \o\

No, look at the numbers I posted previously. The way multiplicitive works means, if it's percentage is less than the additive alternative, than the base damage + damage bufs must reach a certain point to see benefit.

Honestly I doubt there were stealth power nerfs, but the thing that's driving me up the wall is the additive buff DR. I thought additive was simply additive, and the DR was just the standard Proportional benefit DR you see with additive buffs. Instead there is an actual DR curve that mean I have no way to see what my damage buffs actually are without taking some fairly extreme measures. That's why I said Effective damage buffs. Your total damage buffs added together may say 263%, but you may actually only be getting 223%. I guess that's something that doesn't effect ATs from the looking I've done these last few days.

It also makes it very difficult to know if you're in the buff range for new offense, which aggrivates even further.
    Thank you for taking the time to post this (admittedly I wasn't). This is exactly what I was getting at in my first reply in this thread. I'm only left wondering who (besides some ATs) doesn't have fairly high levels of damage buffs as there is almost no reason not to in the game's current state.

Take, for instance, 15% and 34%. That's an offense conversion that is possible. Old offense is 34% new is 15%, obviously.

34% / .15 = 226.6666(and so on) from there subtract 1 to account for base damage, and that means you much achive (lets just say) 127% to break even. If I'm in tank or support role, I don't get 100% from SSs, more to the sound of 45%, so that's 82% remaining to see buff. Assume they built for their damage stat (Str or Ego) and pull 30% for 52% remaining. A form should get you the rest of the way, that is unless you're using IDF, which wouldn't be beyond the pale for a tank or support.

This is also accounting buffs in their displayed state, and not what they would be after whatever voodoo makes them smaller in actual play.

All in all, I do see some potential with the offense change, it's just needs a tad bit more tweaking. I feel it was let into the wild a little too soon.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    Yay! You didn't have a concept for a character that was agile and dodgey! *claps for Biff*

No, I'm sure Biff has at some point had a character that used Acrobatics. Since Acrobatics is the only real way to express a character concept as agile and dodgey.... that means he has had such a character.
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think what really matters in all of this guys, is that I, Caliga am still fine and will continue too be able playing with all of you. Everyone celebrate how awesome I am, and that you are all thankful to be radiating in my glorious millennial flight.

Hail Caliga, for only he matters, in anything!

caligastamp.png
  • Options
    blademaster5121blademaster5121 Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited November 2013

There were no changes to powers that deal damage. What are you saying.

Going to echo jack there and say that the offense changes hurt some more than others because, 1) poor implementation 2) poor testing.

I am one of those builds that took a loss from these changes.

What these changes did to my numbers:

Loss of 10% (14% with EM) dodge chance.

Loss of 4.2% avoidance.

Loss of 8.8% crit chance.

Sword Cyclone reports a loss of 2 damage with 1 focus stack, compared to that of prepatch. This honestly did annoy me since I was promised by base damage would rise, and it didn't. Even funnier is that the loss seemed to increase as focus stacks were gained. Not what I expected.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    I think what really matters in all of this guys, is that I, Caliga am still fine and will continue too be able playing with all of you. Everyone celebrate how awesome I am, and that you are all thankful to be radiating in my glorious millennial flight.

caligastamp.png

Yeah! :D
    olbb.jpg
    ^ whatever that means ^_^
  • Options
    joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    spinnytop wrote: »
    No, I'm sure Biff has at some point had a character that used Acrobatics. Since Acrobatics is the only real way to express a character concept as agile and dodgey.... that means he has had such a character.

I don't know. I know animation wise, there really isn't any dodge animations, but getting hit constantly seems very, undodgey.

Though, why not put a cap on dodge, and allow people to build for avoidance so they can actually dodge and not "well, you don't dodge, you just make it so you get clipped by attacks"?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    There were no changes to powers that deal damage. What are you saying.

Going to echo jack there and say that the offense changes hurt some more than others because, 1) poor implementation 2) poor testing.

I am one of those builds that took a loss from these changes.

What these changes did to my numbers:

Loss of 10% (14% with EM) dodge chance.

Loss of 4.2% avoidance.

Loss of 8.8% crit chance.

Sword Cyclone reports a loss of 2 damage with 1 focus stack, compared to that of prepatch. This honestly did annoy me since I was promised by base damage would rise, and it didn't. Even funnier is that the loss seemed to increase as focus stacks were gained. Not what I expected.

If you are using an offensive passive, a damage toggle and +Offense on your gear (which you were if I remember right) you should be hitting harder as you should be well over the threshhold. Is that loss of two you're reporting the tooltip or from a parser?
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    joybuzzerx wrote: »

That's not at all what I said. When it became clear that dodge and avoidance were the go-to stats for surviving, I didn't automatically start stacking those stats on all my characters because it was the thing to do.

That doesn't at all mean that I don't have character concepts that use dodge.

Try not reading things I don't type into my posts. When you do that I'll allow you to give yourself a happy clap.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    sagewithbubblessagewithbubbles Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited November 2013

On your Blade, or on a Freeform?

(snipped the other stuff because we knew that was changing)

The user formerly known as Dr. Sage.
    xcaligax wrote: »

caligastamp.png

tumblr_mdr1w9pcCz1qifa2a.gif
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    all the particle effects slowed my screen just enough that I didn't hit my heal in time.

I die more from lag than anything else in the game and I run The Swordsman and The Flame now.
    edited November 2013
    From everything I've heard and seen, it seems the majority of the doomcriers are from the group that plays this game, and many others, with the goal being to "beat" the game. Mini-maxing, squeezing every last drop of efficiency out of existing systems to make their characters as powerful as the system allows so they can take on any and all content. For them, that is where their enjoyment comes from. Showing they are smarter, more crafty/clever than the game itself. So, when a change comes that upsets what is accepted as the most efficient path to the end, be it by a massive margin or by only a few percentage points, that steals from their enjoyment of the game. It isn't about the content, or costumes, or anything like that. They play for the math of the system. It's something akin to them seeing only the Matrix squiggles.

"My spreadsheet shows that, statistically, I should have a 98% chance of completing this encounter without incident, which is supposed to be a 5-man Lair. This shows I have defeated this encounter as it was designed by virtue of my intelligence and knowledge of the internal game mechanics."

Is this a bad thing? No, of course not. They are playing a game for enjoyment, and that is how they get said enjoyment.

Does it mean that that few percentage point change is The End of All That Is? No, of course not. The average gamer, regardless of system, isn't pushing to get every last drop of efficiency from a build, and is playing through the default content.

So to the doomcriers, this isn't doom. It means revising the spreadsheets, recalculating the math, and within a week, perhaps two, a new top-end mathematically-perfect build will replace the Dodge/Avoidance ones. I have seen it in many games before, and this one won't be any different.
  • Options
    gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    I die more from lag than anything else in the game and I run The Swordsman and The Flame now.

You mean the Inferno and.. god, still can't figure out what the "Swordsman" is.
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!