test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Energy Builders. Why do they even have ranks?

xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
Think about it. Ranking them practically does nothing but give more visual effects. If it were up to me, I would simply make Energy builders rank up to rank 2 at level 20, and rank 3 at level 40. Who actually ranks up these? It's practically the same as not using your points, or throwing them away. Thoughts?
Post edited by xcaligax on

Comments

• Options
    lucysneakymynxlucysneakymynx Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    OMG Stop saying things that make sense! STAHP!

*bans Caliga from chat for 53 hours*

^_~
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    Think about it. Ranking them practically does nothing but give more visual effects. If it were up to me, I would simply make Energy builders rank up to rank 2 at level 20, and rank 3 at level 40. Who actually ranks up these? It's practically the same as not using your points, or throwing them away. Thoughts?
    i like this idea actually, i was tempted to rank up my sorcery energy builder to get the cool glyphs, but that would wind up hurting more reliable utility powers.
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I ranked up my EB on my first character, when I was low level and the gap between it and my T0 wasn't as obvious. :tongue:

I could see ranking Wrist Bolter as worthwhile, IF you're using Automated Assault AND have the points to spare. Otherwise, I don't see a point unless you really suck at energy management, and need the tiny increase.
    edited July 2013
    I know that some people rank their EBs for the greater energy gain.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I could see ranking Wrist Bolter as worthwhile, IF you're using Automated Assault AND have the points to spare. Otherwise, I don't see a point unless you really suck at energy management, and need the tiny increase.

That right there...When I make a 3 toggle Power Armor character, that's the set up I use for Leveling.

Wrist Bolters, Mini-Gun, Micro-Munitions....with Endurance Primary for the Kickback spec, Recovery and Intelligence as Secondaries while Talent and Gearing for Dex and Ego. I rank the Bolters to 3 with the Automated Assault and Mini-Gun at R2 and the U234 advantage and Micro-Munitions taken to R3. Its a very easy and reliable Power Armor build to set up and to help familiarize yourself with the Toggle Mechanic behind Power Armor...

Later on I'll respec out of the Bolters when I've gotten better Energy Management gear and go with depending on if I'm going for a Ballistic Barrage style or a Classic build I'll either take Conc Beams or Tactical Missiles for my Hand Slot...
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If the energy boost between ranks really made a difference that would be the only reason to use them. I never knew about the visual difference between ranks until about 5 months ago. I still don't care enough to actually see them.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I ranked my Power Bolt up a level so that it wouldn't look so "puny".
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    I ranked my Power Bolt up a level so that it wouldn't look so "puny".

See, I knew you'd say something sensible. :P

Yeah, the ranks are great for concept characters.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If you have Endurance as a superstat, you can reliably use your EB as your "energy unlock". I have a toon with a max energy of nearly 600.

One shot of the EB gives 100 energy.

Still, I agree that the ranks don't do enough for most toons. I would fold the increased EB damage in with the various advantages the EBs have.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Simple - it's there so noobs can make a classic mistake.
    Or perhaps more plausibly EB's have some advantages which means you need the option to spend some points on em and therefore had to be treated as regular powers.
    Changing things now would I suspect be quite tricky on the coding front and would require dev hours that could be better spent elsewhere.
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ranking your EB is another path towards energy management when you don't want an unlock, REC stacking, or other secondary effect. It's an option for someone out there.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My EB is a sword, and I'm munitions.

So I can say in RP 'I have a sword'.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My EB is a sword, and I'm munitions.

So I can say in RP 'I have a sword'.

LOL.

Ive done the same. And the reverse.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    jaguar40jaguar40 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I rank them up usually when I have nothing to spend them on and probably would have thrown them away otherwise.

For the energy gain, well some of my toons dont crit often nor have ton of intelligence stat nor causes bleeds or dodge often. In those cases sometimes I do rank up the EB for more energy gained per hit, but even then that stems from just having extra points that I nothing better to do with.
  • Options
    rugrothrumborrugrothrumbor Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Rank 2 and rank 3 damage should be improved enough that it would be more noticable.

Maybe give them advantages that would help you keep toggle stacks up as well. Like Clobber's Onslaught.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I agree, energy builder ranks are having a serious negative effect on the game. Why practically everything I do is ruined on a daily basis because energy builders can be ranked up. Every time I fail an alert, I know it's because energy builders can be ranked up. Every costume part combination that I'm not allowed to make is unallowable due to the presence of energy builder ranks. They can't up the challenge level in the game because then everybody would be required to rank up their energy builders, which would ruin any chance at making a theme. Didn't get what I wanted out of a lockbox? EB ranks. Can't afford yet another full retcon? EB ranks. EB ranks? EB ranks.

ENERGY BUILDER RANKS! HOW DARE YOU CRYPWE! HOOOOW DAAAAARE YOOOOOOUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!

You realize they did this for the express purpose of ruining pvp, right?

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I facepalm on the new players who actually RANK to RANK 3 their Energy Builder!
    Two of my friends did that, they said that they did it to increase damage!
    I had to make them understand that their Energy Build exists ONLY to Generate Energy and possible with the Right
    Advantage do other stuff (based on the EB)! But it's not worth Ranking to 3 at all
    The REAL damage is dealt by the other Powers, especially on the Damage Spikes moves!

I have never ranked them up, they are waste of Points
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    avianos wrote: »
    I facepalm on the new players who actually RANK to RANK 3 their Energy Builder!
    Two of my friends did that, they said that they did it to increase damage!
    I had to make them understand that their Energy Build exists ONLY to Generate Energy and possible with the Right
    Advantage do other stuff (based on the EB)! But it's not worth Ranking to 3 at all
    The REAL damage is dealt by the other Powers, especially on the Damage Spikes moves!

I have never ranked them up, they are waste of Points

I'm honestly not sure how that happens. If we had advantage points when our only power was our energy builder, then I could understand... but by the point that we have advantage points, we allready have other powers. I guess I just don't get why someone would see this:

-Whimpy Shot: Builds energy and does 2 whole damage!
    -Murder Stab: Does 1000 damage.

And think "...yeah.... yeah that 2 damage one needs to be ranked up".

The ONLY thing I can imagine is that that early on some people are still very dependent on their energy builder for all of their energy management, and are unaware that immensely better options are right around the corner. I mean hey, if you were to take all the other ways to get energy out of the game, then ranking up your energy builder might actually be a good idea.

Personally I would love to see them buff the energy builder ranks, so that ranking them up would actually create a very noticeable increase in the amount of energy coming in, just to have yet another option for how to build our characters. Willing to deal with the restrictions of using your buffed up energy builder to generate your energy? Grats, you just opened up another power slot :D

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There was a time long ago when it didn't take 9 hours to level up to 40 with infinite energy.
    So you had to rely on your Eb.
    giggity

When i rank, i rank for the looks.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,067 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would like your proposal actually, regarding the auto ranking of energy builders.

The visual FX tend to go to waste on energy builders and some of them look very nice actually.

If we had energy builders rank up automatically without it impacting our 36 advantage points that would be a good idea, however...it may lockout Energy Builder advantages, such as

Force Bolts - Energy Refraction

Psi Lash - Psychic Reverberation

etc

So unless all EB advantages became 1 pointers it would be a bit bad. Unless Energy builders had X/6 instead of X/5, that way we could still purchase advantages if need be.

But as others have said, it can be used to increase energy gain, provide an alternate energy management path or simply be there for utility purposes (like RP or cosmetic FX).

Personally I have never ranked up an energy builder beyond rank 1, never really seen the need to..
  • Options
    chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Getting involved in a land war in Asia?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, after all, there has to be some excuse for the uberleet to sneer at the noobs...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    gamakytegamakyte Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I use em, its called fun!
    ...because giving players maxed out EB and removing the ranks makes too much sense. :punishes Caliga somehow: Smooches keeps PvE-ing in every hero gamer's Cheerios. Less cardboard taste. I tell mummy!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Well, after all, there has to be some excuse for the uberleet to sneer at the noobs...

This ^

How else am I supposed to feel superior to other people in this game? Leering and jeering at people for not knowing everything their first day playing the game is the only real opportunity to do that here.

Well, other than coming on the forums and claiming that something I did in game makes me some sort of predator-of-the-masses... but that's just silly.
    gamakyte wrote: »
    I use em, its called fun!

I can't have fun with a power unless it does a minimum of 4000 dps. If the numbers popping up above the thing I'm hitting aren't huge, how will I know I'm having fun? I have to write something on the spread sheet... can't very well write "Looks neat, made me giggle".

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Moar Cheerios. I giv yew munni ^_^
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have no problem with EB ranks being part of the advantage point budget, especially for toons that don't have END, REC, or INT superstats.

If you want to move adv points out of useless slots, let's talk Travel Powers. Instead of ranks, let the top speed of the primary TP scale on a curve by level, from R1 at level 6 to R3 at level 40. If the TP has effect changes at ranks 2 and 3, apply them at, say, levels 20 and 35. And to make up for legacy crafted travel power devices no longer providing 2 "bonus" adv points (since everybody gets them now), nudge up their top speed.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Heck, I think in general that rank-ups of low tier moves should be more effective (I.E. the damage gap between R3 Force Bolts, Force Blast, and Force Cascade becomes smaller than the damage gap between R1 Force Bolts, Force Blast, and Force Cascade). The upper-level powers would still end up more powerful, though that sort of does bring up the issue of, if that were the case, would low-level characters ever cross over to using the higher-tier skills if their lower tier ones already work well?

The whole power-armor synnergy with wrist bolters totally makes sense. But in general, EB ranks make a paradox: ranking them up causes them to generate more energy, and do more damage - yet, you'd only want them doing more damage if you had to rely on them for extended periods of time, and because you're ranking them up, you have to use them less, since they grant you more energy. Certainly doesn't help that most toggle forms and on-next-hit skills don't actively encourage the use of EB's. If there was like, some kind of form that could utilize it perhaps.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    edited July 2013
    bluhman wrote: »
    Certainly doesn't help that most toggle forms and on-next-hit skills don't actively encourage the use of EB's. If there was like, some kind of form that could utilize it perhaps.

Hehe,

[Form of The Energy Master] - You have utilized the ability to rank up your energy builder powers and as a result, whilst the form is active you can increase your max energy and energy equilibrium by XX%. You also can reduce the cost of your powers by XX%. In addition you no longer generate less energy using your energy builders if your attacks are dodged. Increases your damage by half of your max energy percentage.

This scales with your Energy Builder Rank.

:tongue::biggrin:
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I was thinking of something more to the effect of like:

Tension - Builds tension stacks over time, at a rate of 1 stack every 3 seconds.This greatly boosts all damage (~12% softcap). Whenever the user uses a non-energy-builder attack, all Tension stacks are used up to boost the damage. Scales off of whichever is higher of Intelligence or Endurance.
    Ranking this up will change the maximum number of stacks that Tension can build to. At rank 1, it can only go up to 6 stacks. At 2, this is upped to 7, and at 3, upped to 8.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ... My tk blade character can crit for 1500 with her energy builder. 1000 on your average player. Not all of em are useless.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    In a LOT of games out there what we would call an E.B. would be the Primary Attack for the Toon for the ENTIRE GAME. Think At Wills in N.W. You absolutely HAVE to rank these things up before everything else because they account for 90% of the attacks you make. It takes a while to really sink in that, in Champs, they really ARE just for building Energy.
    Also, as Finn mentioned, way, way back in the Dawn Of Time when Dinosaurs ruled the Earth you did need to use your Energy Builder a LOT more than you do now, making it practical to rank it up.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    pray tell HOW did you do that? my tk blade toon crits for 400-550 max with EB.

Legion gear, really stacked on crits and severity, r8 mods. To be fair, my concept for her was actually that I wanted her to hit so hard that even her energy builder came off as a legitimate attack.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    ... My tk blade character can crit for 1500 with her energy builder. 1000 on your average player. Not all of em are useless.

Yeah, true, some eb's I've used hit for that range as well, some of them are quite potent xD
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    IMO legion gear was a mistake. lockboxes in general, but making legion gear lockbox only was a massive step towards P2W. I dont care that you can buy it on AH, who has that kinda g? put it up for 80 or so SCR and then we're talking.

I disagree there. If they do that, then you might as well just get rid of heroic gear and have legion gear fully replace it. Anyway that's off topic. Ranking EBs is pointless, so much so that the actual ranks should just be replaced with advantages.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I disagree there. If they do that, then you might as well just get rid of heroic gear and have legion gear fully replace it.

Agreed, Legion Gear is attainable through farming for G or other means.
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I disagree there. If they do that, then you might as well just get rid of heroic gear and have legion gear fully replace it. Anyway that's off topic. Ranking EBs is pointless, so much so that the actual ranks should just be replaced with advantages.
    Agreed, Legion Gear is attainable through farming for G or other means.

Yup. Don't dream so much about Legion Gear, or you will make BIG MISTAKE.
    Spend G or Zen or time or what ever won't come back after 'Bound'. :3
  • Options
    isuobaeisuobae Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Incorrect.
    Ranking them tricks ******* like me that are new to the game into buying a retcon when they realize that they are useless when they hit 40:O
  • Options
    scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    isuobae wrote: »
    Incorrect.
    Ranking them tricks ******* like me that are new to the game into buying a retcon when they realize that they are useless when they hit 40:O

mlfw5485-Discord_just_as_planned.gif
  • Options
    tancrediivtancrediiv Posts: 639 Arc User
    edited July 2013

' been saying this for many years.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    IMO legion gear was a mistake. lockboxes in general, but making legion gear lockbox only was a massive step towards P2W. I dont care that you can buy it on AH, who has that kinda g? put it up for 80 or so SCR and then we're talking.

Okay... can you explain one thing to me?

Pay 2 win what? ....like... what are you paying to win at?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    smoochan wrote: »

Okay... can you explain one thing to me?

Pay 2 win what? ....like... what are you paying to win at?

:biggrin:

To win at l33t PvP? lmao. :biggrin:
  • Options
    drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    After reading this, my first impression was: "Oh geeze...if Cryptic reads this they may make E.B. something along the line of "you must have X rank on your E.B. to use Y attack"...*facepalms*

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    drgmstr wrote: »
    ...if Cryptic reads this...
    Let's be honest - there's not much danger of that. <sad smile>
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Let's be honest - there's not much danger of that. <sad smile>

Sad smile makes me sad :frown: But it's true. For everything. Ever. *goes into a corner and stares at the floor*

I remember that I actually used to rank my EB up... also both travel powers to rank 3. It was only between after I played an AT and looked at one of my toon's builds heavily after a retcon that something clicked and I was like, Dafuq was I doing this entire time. To answer your question, at that point I had 2-3 40s. :l

In short,

3pfono.jpg

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • Options
    allthebucketsallthebuckets Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    For the looks ... that's it.

If you could get the R2 or R3 looks for say, a 0-point advantage, that'd be great, otherwise the damage boost needs to be noticeable.

Being the vain person that I am, I demand that the ability i'm going to probably use the most (or see a lot of) look pleasing to my eye. As it stands, most R1 energy builders look pathetic. Case in point: Power Bolts. R1 power bolts is just shining a laser pointer at the enemies eyes, whereas higher ranks actually look like they might sting a bit.

But overall, yeah, we shouldn't be paying advantage points for a cosmetic upgrade. After all, Giant Growth is a free advantage and does nothing other than obscure everyone's view.