test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would you still buy life time sub?

jedite2012jedite2012 Posts: 334 Arc User
Just wondering, would you still buy the LTS, the way the game is now?

The players who already have it, do you regret buying it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by jedite2012 on

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hell no on both.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What 'Finn said.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You've got to be kidding.

I do not regret buying it at launch, but it would take a huge leap of faith to buy one now.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • Options
    prootwaddleprootwaddle Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jedite2012 wrote: »

The LTS is what stops me getting a subscription because it is better value.

A subscription is what prevents me from buying Zen because it is better value.

If I had the disposable cash to spend on an LTS, I'd buy one.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I was seriously thinking about buying a lifetime sub, even half a year after On Alert.

But now... no. I'll think about it again when this game stops being a buggy mess that only gets rushed updates and money sinks instead of content. In its current state, CO just isn't worth it. :frown:
  • Options
    cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm not a LTS but I have been a subscriber since launch.

If I had a windfall of extra cash, I would go ahead a buy an LTS.

But then again, I do have a martyr complex.

:biggrin:

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    A year ago I said that if this game ever got Foundry, I'd go LTS.

At this point I don't think I would, not unless the game got Foundry and a year of solid support. THEN maybe I'd trust Cryptic enough to go LTS.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    vikaernesvikaernes Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would not buy a lifetime sub to this game as it is, I would not pay a monthly sub to this game as it is, nor would I play for free.

However, I do not regret my lifetime sub. I purchased mine at the beginning of 2011, which was, by far the best year for Champions. I got more than my money's worth out of the LTS cost.
  • Options
    thearkadythearkady Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There was a period in early to mid 2010 when I would've gone LTS.

But they didn't actually start offering it again until late in 2010, by which time I had lost all faith in Atari, was unsure about Cryptic and F2P was looming on the horizon.

The F2P re-launch failed to convince me. On the contrary, it was too glaringly obvious that the free ATs were intentionally gimped (seriously, name one player who would've designed a single blade AT without BCR) in an attempt to sell subscriptions that I quit subscribing on principle.

I eventually came back, but didn't find the game convincing enough to ever want an LTS; rather, I found both On Alert basically rendering all time invested before useless and the Silver Freeform Slots That Can't Be Used On Existing Characters clear indications Cryptic can't be arsed to try and make returning interesting for former sucribers (which pretty much every other game that made the switch did).

By now? I have littly faith in the game even going another 2 years, so hell no to an LTS.

Which is a shame. For a while there, back in 2010, after Vibora Bay got introduced, it looked like CO really had potential.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Sadly, right now, no, I wouldn't buy one. If the future of this game is an "event" every few months where the first three steps to the event are completely insignificant (the first three steps of of Lemurian Invasion that took weeks each to release, gave us at best 15 minutes worth of content), and one big exciting climax, we're talking about a year with four exciting things to do, that we can do for a total of like 8 weeks. Yes, I am guessing the numbers here, but I think we were told in an official capacity that for the rest of the year, these "events" are what we're doing.

So aside of these 8 fun weeks out of 52, you're looking at the rest of the game now, how it is and how it's gonna be. We're not getting new power sets, no new costume sets, no new permanent adventures, the Nemesis system is done, complete, finished, and completely lacking. We probably won't get any new alerts that are not tied to temporary events. Probably not even any new archetypes. This is the game from now on. This, plus one lockbox per event to hide a few pieces of costumes and throw vehicles at us, to try to get us to spend 15 bucks gambling on the chance to get the costume set, instead of just selling it to us for five bucks.

Do I regret my lifetime subscription? No freakin' way. This is my favorite MMO and I will play it til they shut the lights, because it's fun as hell. But I wouldn't buy a lifetime subscription now, because the game is in a stasis. Nothing to look forward to except new ways to spend more money on less costume pieces.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    No regrets, have gotten more than my money's worth.

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

Had I three hundred bucks to spare, I'd jump on an LTS. Of course, my primary reason for that is because I'm a severe altaholic, and those sixteen base slots (plus all those I've already bought, plus one for each 40...) are calling my name.

If you aren't so afflicted, you may make other choices. I can't really say.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well... If anything, I can say I'm glad I got it when I did.
  • Options
    determinddetermind Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I can't say I regret buying it but I am not sure I would buy it now. I am not a big fan of the lockbox-centric direction the game has gone and I am not happy with frequency of new power and costume content.

On the other hand, I am not a big DCUO fan and that is the only other real superhero MMO available right now. I wish we were getting more dev-love (I also play STO and they get lots of dev-love) but I still like CO more than DCUO (which gets more dev-love than CO too).
    _

The Roster

Ebon, The Dragon, Impact, Tempest, American Eagles, Elemental, Turbine, Weapon Hawk & Mr. E

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alt-it is; it's a real disease!
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    1) No regrets. Got what I paid for.

2) No I wouldn't buy one now because of how much time I've already spent here. There's not enough "new" coming to justify that kind of expenditure now.

3) If I were new to the game I might buy one now. I still feel the same about the game itself as I did the day I bought the LTS. How I feel about it's continued development or lack thereof after I bought the LTS is another story.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    rahlarahla Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Not a chance. If CO had kept coming out with Vibora levels of content, or maybe even more frequent adventure packs, I would have been all over it.

Now? Never going to happen.
    To my fellow beta testers,

Complaints help no one, shooting down suggestions helps no one, fanboyism helps no one. Suggestions and constructive criticism are needed, or you're kind of useless as a tester. This isn't a demo, this is a beta. If you paid money to be a tester and regret it, you have no one to blame but yourself.

~<3
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Considering I have everything I want already, a LTS wouldn't actually get me anything other than recoloring my powers, and there's really no way that having different colors on part of my screen would make the game better for me ( I think the default colors for the powers are fine anyway ). Sure, I might never have 50 alts, but I would never have 100 alts with a subscription, so the whole "more slots" thing isn't value to me either( how do you play all of your 50 alts anyways? ).

So really, since I was able to acquire everything I wanted without a subscription, they would really have to inject some value into the subscription plan to justify the price tag, be it monthly or lump sum. I've never seen the value of a subscription, and over time they've devalued subscribing more and more, while keeping it the same price.

So no... they're giving me less and less reason to buy a LTS as time goes on, so it's unlikely I would ever buy one.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    imperviumimpervium Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I realize the following is an opinion which some will find off-putting, but I've never confused someone who purchases a LTS with someone who wants to support a game. If you buy a LTS because it's a great value for YOU, then that's great. FOR YOU. Publishers like to offer them because MMOs are as expensive as movies to make and as financially devastating when they bomb, and life-time subs help mitigate their risks. But I've never in my life spoken to a developer who thinks a LTS is just the greatest thing ever for game development studios.

The money for those life-time subs at launch was spent long ago, and quickly. A LTS doesn't go very far to pay salaries and other development costs like middle-ware, benefits and hosting, not to mention the huge chunk of it that gets funneled back to the publisher or to the studio's other games. A LTS is a quick infusion of cash that has absolutely NOTHING, ZILCH, NADA to do with long-term support and development of a game, and I would never buy one for a game I thought had potential.

I don't make a thread for every complaint that I have about the game, but as much as I like Champs, I do have complaints; recently, one of my brothers asked me why I played the game if I thought it had so many problems. I told him it was just like "voter's ******** rights". In my family, it doesn't matter so much who you vote for, but you get no sympathy for your complaints if you never vote. My monthly subscription fee makes me part of the solution for one of this game's biggest problems, and I have been paying it every month, along with $10 to $20 extra Zen points, ever since City of Heroes closed, even while I was taking breaks to check out other games. When I'm listening to someone who is fed up with the lack of development (especially compared to other Cryptic titles), one of the first things I try to find out is whether they support the game, and a LTS several years ago doesn't count. If they think the game has potential, but they're waiting for someone else (like me) to pay for all of it, they won't get my sympathy. They'll never know it, because that's just not my style; but if they're perceptive, they might find me suddenly more interested in my next mission than in the chat box.
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Hell no on both.

^^

Although I don't have one (and wish I did sometimes with how much I've spent on subscribing past 1100 days).
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • Options
    locsmith12locsmith12 Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I bought a LTS based on how incredible a job Cryptic had done on CoH. I was in the CoH beta and stayed until the end. So when I heard that Cryptic was building a new superhero MMO I leapt at the chance to have unlimited access (read: no monthly bills) to the game. I even promised my wife that would not pay for any other game for a full year until that initial investment had paid for itself. So in that respect I got exactly what I paid for and would probably do it again.

Unfortunately the game turned out to be a shadow of what I expected. Once I got my first character to level 40 and started my next I found a major lack of content. Every mission I had already ran before. I enjoyed the crafting since you really got to make stuff back then. But there just wasn?t anything new to do. Cut to today and while the comic series are fun and new, there are not a lot of them and I?ve done them all. The alerts are ok for quick distractions but I like to play more and no one seems to team outside of those.

Free to play brought on the final straws for me. The complete destruction of a fun and useful crafting system, getting hundreds of lock boxes that I toss out at the end of every game session and this weird focus on vehicles. I mean really, *VEHICLES*? I?m a super hero, I can fly, I can run at super speed, I can teleport, why do I need a jet bike? I use my stipend on new costume parts, travel powers and an occasional hideout. I have never and will never buy a lock box key or a vehicle. I?m trying to muddle through this activity they call crafting but it?s not fun anymore. So the answer to question two is no, I would not now buy a LTS to this game.
  • Options
    locsmith12locsmith12 Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    impervium wrote: »
    I realize the following is an opinion which some will find off-putting, but I've never confused someone who purchases a LTS with someone who wants to support a game. If you buy a LTS because it's a great value for YOU, then that's great. FOR YOU. Publishers like to offer them because MMOs are as expensive as movies to make and as financially devastating when they bomb, and life-time subs help mitigate their risks. But I've never in my life spoken to a developer who thinks a LTS is just the greatest thing ever for game development studios.

The money for those life-time subs at launch was spent long ago, and quickly. A LTS doesn't go very far to pay salaries and other development costs like middle-ware, benefits and hosting, not to mention the huge chunk of it that gets funneled back to the publisher or to the studio's other games. A LTS is a quick infusion of cash that has absolutely NOTHING, ZILCH, NADA to do with long-term support and development of a game, and I would never buy one for a game I thought had potential.

I don't make a thread for every complaint that I have about the game, but as much as I like Champs, I do have complaints; recently, one of my brothers asked me why I played the game if I thought it had so many problems. I told him it was just like "voter's ******** rights". In my family, it doesn't matter so much who you vote for, but you get no sympathy for your complaints if you never vote. My monthly subscription fee makes me part of the solution for one of this game's biggest problems, and I have been paying it every month, along with $10 to $20 extra Zen points, ever since City of Heroes closed, even while I was taking breaks to check out other games. When I'm listening to someone who is fed up with the lack of development (especially compared to other Cryptic titles), one of the first things I try to find out is whether they support the game, and a LTS several years ago doesn't count. If they think the game has potential, but they're waiting for someone else (like me) to pay for all of it, they won't get my sympathy. They'll never know it, because that's just not my style; but if they're perceptive, they might find me suddenly more interested in my next mission than in the chat box.

You make a lot of good points. I did look at the LTS as a good deal for me. I was a monthly subscriber to one game or another since the beginning of CoH. That?s $15 a month since April of 2004 (over $1600). So when I saw a chance to play a game with no monthly fee I jumped!

But keep in mind that the company offered it and most companies are not in the business of losing money. They knew the risk and they determined that the reward was worth it. And if they didn?t make money on it, they sure wouldn?t still be offering it in the store.
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would not buy a LTS to save my life. I'd get a freeform slot or two and be done with it. At this point Cryptic even trying to sell a LTS is a joke and a slap in the face.
  • Options
    imperviumimpervium Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    @locsmith, make no mistake, that's primarily because there's a hefty percentage of players in most MMOs that just keep the revolving door spinning, and this game is not one of the most notable exceptions (though I do believe this has the potential to change; more costumes, story arcs and UGC could create high retention for CO, which is one reason why I choose to support the game every month).

Publishers know this and they're completely within their right minds to cash in on any impulse buys before those players check in and check out. So your point is of course as clear and true as daylight (we're not really arguing with each other here); and it doesn't challenge my point, which is that a LTS has less to do with the development studio and long-term development and stability of a game, and more to do with risk mitigation and some guaranteed return on investment for publishers and of course a great deal for players.

My view strictly comes from the mindset of a player (hopefully a camp of players, if ya'll ever want anything to get better), who is willing to dig his heels in and help let the publisher know that SOME amount of retention among the player base is worth planning for and investing in. Because all you have otherwise are quarterly reports and easy cash-outs. PWE has proven time and again that they'll honor a game's "right to live" no matter what, but they've also proven an insistence on players investing in a game before they will (which is why STO represents such a high return on investment for them).

There needs to be more of us actually supporting CO (with more than pom-poms or snippy forum thread titles) if we want them to stop focusing primarily on easy quarterly cash-outs. If anyone here thinks I have that backwards or if this concept gives rise to a feeling of outrage, then clearly this is not directed toward you. Continue with thy indignity or shuffle on to all the other great super hero MMO offerings out there, I suppose. As for me, coming from my family like I described above, I think you can see why I have a "put up or shut up" attitude about these things. Not to mention, VERY few of these threads ever offer anything new or worthwhile when I click on them.
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Do I regret it ? Sometimes. Generally only in the sense that a FF slot would have given me what I get out of my LTS.

Then again I am not missing the $200 so, nah, no real regrets.

Would I buy one now ? Dear god no !

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    VERY few of these threads ever offer anything new or worthwhile when I click on them.

That may have something to do with that the game doesn't offer anything new or worthwhile.
    Maybe it does for someone whos been here for few months, but not for someones that been here since the Day 1.
  • Options
    kogilligankogilligan Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes

edited April 2013
    I'd absolutely buy one. Saving up for it, in fact. Because even in stasis, this game is still fun as hell. I already drop money every month on it anyway, might as well just get the sub bit taken care of so I can put that money into zen.

Plus, as has been stated, new content ain't gonna pay for itself. Too many of us say "I'm not putting in a penny until they do stuff that costs a nickel" and eventually the doors will close here.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,594 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I got it some time after Resistance came out with the promise that more stuff would be added. The comics came in the following year which helped encourage that the $300 was worth it.

The initial purchase was definitely worth it considering regular content was updated and what was available up to that point.

If I were to buy one the way the game is now...well I wouldn't have made it this far after On Alert because there would have been nothing to do with my ATs.
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited April 2013

if i knew how cryptic would treat the champions universe and its players i wouldnt have brought over my friends from city of. nor would i even got my lifetime membership.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd absolutely buy one. Saving up for it, in fact. Because even in stasis, this game is still fun as hell. I already drop money every month on it anyway, might as well just get the sub bit taken care of so I can put that money into zen.

Plus, as has been stated, new content ain't gonna pay for itself. Too many of us say "I'm not putting in a penny until they do stuff that costs a nickel" and eventually the doors will close here.

Cant argue with this logic.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    yogid0nnieyogid0nnie Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes, even in stasis, I still like this game over other MMOs. I don't play it as much as I once did, but I still enjoy it and would gladly drop more money on it today to keep it alive.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Maybe Cryptic/PW should add 'Content Meter' then. And actually make it happen.

This much:
    $XXXXX: You get more Alerts.
    $XXXXXX: You get more Costume Packs added.
    $XXXXXXX: You get more Missions added.
    $XXXXXXXX: You get more Power Sets added.
    $XXXXXXXXX: You get more Zones added.

They had a major cash flow cut concidering what the content flow is now compared to what it was.
    And people would like to know what the future holds for money spended.
    Something with 'We loved to do' doesn't get people to throw their money to them. It's stupid to expect that. I rather spend the money for something more usefull, like bluray packs of Really Old TVSeries than buy a Vehicle which have no real use in the game.
    And if someone says Vehicles are really usefull ingame deserves Gibbs Slapped. Thrice.
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Posts: 1,748 Arc User
    edited April 2013

This much:

They had a major cash flow cut concidering what the content flow is now compared to what it was.
    And people would like to know what the future holds for money spended.
    Something with 'We loved to do' doesn't get people to throw their money to them. It's stupid to expect that. I rather spend the money for something more usefull, like bluray packs of Really Old TVSeries than buy a Vehicle which have no real use in the game.
    And if someone says Vehicles are really usefull ingame deserves Gibbs Slapped. Thrice.

With that you might as well try to convince them to do an expansion funded via Kickstarter.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    With that you might as well try to convince them to do an expansion funded via Kickstarter.

A kickstarter idea was dangled in their faces before in a thread with more "yes please" posts than the Amusing Picture Thread has actual amusing picture posts. They didn't bite then with all that potential money looking them in the eye.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    corniviccornivic Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    No,
    would you still buy the LTS, the way the game is now?

Yes, because I like this game enough to do so.... Unless I was playing from launch already then maybe not since I would be bored of it.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,594 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Plus, as has been stated, new content ain't gonna pay for itself.

Especially when they spend CO made funds on STO and NWO.
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't reget getting the LTS, saddly my partner's mother got a sever health issue and we couldn't get one for himself :c

If you have the spare money, if a sub is not something you can do month-by-month, and if you feel the need of create sheeploads of alts, you might want to consider get one.

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    seratuhlseratuhl Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2013

As much as the community loves to whine about some of Cryptic's recent and somewhat controversial decisions, this person speaks the truth.

I love this game, even if its content updates are stagnating. I do not regret my LTS and I sure hope that Cryptic releases good content in the future.

Think of the vehicles as a "Kickstarter Bonus", you'll get something for paying Cryptic to add more content to the game... although costume sets are more likely to reel in the sales rather than vehicles.
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd say sub for a month, see how you like it then decide if you want to drop the $300.

Yes, it costs 5% more, but that 5% will help you make a more informed choice. Small price to pay in return for such a big decision.

On the other hand if you're asking whether that $300 will go into making new APs/CSes/Powersets/Content that we can actually have fun with for hours... I'd say wait and see. That hasn't happened yet this year and doesn't look like it's on the roadmap.

The last time substantial content was introduced was Whiteout in late 2011. It's April 2013 now and nothing big is on the horizon for the rest of 2013. It's safe to say what you see ingame right now is what you should expect to work with for the entirety of your LTS. Will you really need LTS to do everything you want in the game? Or maybe 1 year is enough, or 6 months... that's something you will need to think about.

I usually resub for new releases, when the game can hold my interest long enough to justify the subscription, e.g. Bleak Harbinger. So far, I have personally clocked 220 days of gold over 21 months (started playing in July 2011). That's an average of 1 gold month per 3 months. Total amount spent is 7 months x $14.99 = $104.93. At the rate I have been subscribing, the game will have to last another 3.25 years before LTS starts to come out ahead, and that's before accounting for inflation.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I paid a lot more than $14.99 in zen last month. I am disappointed in what I see.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    seratuhl wrote: »
    As much as the community loves to whine about some of Cryptic's recent and somewhat controversial decisions, this person speaks the truth.

I love this game, even if its content updates are stagnating. I do not regret my LTS and I sure hope that Cryptic releases good content in the future.

Think of the vehicles as a "Kickstarter Bonus", you'll get something for paying Cryptic to add more content to the game... although costume sets are more likely to reel in the sales rather than vehicles.

Kickstarter Bonus? You're likening the money we've already been giving Cryptic unto a series of kickstarter pledges and the crap they've been giving us lately are stretch goals?

If we collect:
    • $200,000 we'll throw in some temporary events that may or may not be added to an event rotation system.
    • $300,000 we'll add in an event rotation system
    • $400,000 we'll fix some bugs
    • $500,000 we'll remove the Nemesis system to make room for more temporary events.
    • 1,000,000 we'll add a basic Foundry system to CO.

I may or may not be blowing it out of proportion but the idea itself remains the same: stupid. Subscription fees and cash shop purchases are already supposed to fund projects in this manner in the first place. Instead we're seeing that all blown on an unpopular vehicle system and/or possibly being given to Cryptic's other games to help fund their development.
  • Options
    honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited April 2013

This much:

And add these:

$XXXXXXXXXX: Take it and put it into the next game.
    $XXXXXXXXXXX: Move Tumorboy even further away from CO.
    $XXXXXXXXXXXX: Grow 25 layers of Smug, and become too important to talk to playerbase scum ever again, and toss them vehicles and everything they say they DONT want for shyts n giggles, and ban those who know too much about how much mcdonalds litter has turned the office into a dump.

I think i just saw a rat run by...be right back :P- - - - -
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i suppose there are 2 answers to this question, one of which makes me sound drunk.

question one is would i buy a lt right now. and the answer is no. crptic/pwi simply are not showing it to be a priority and i'd look at the game, see its pluses, but note the lack of attention and figure it was not worth investing in.

question 2 is would i have bought a lifetime back when i bought one knowing what i do now. and that is yes. beyond really liking the retro future/art deco things I really cannot conceptualize playing this game as a not freeform I'm sure it i fine if that is your initial frame of reference, but, i couldn't do at's, the idea is just un-champions online to me, and staying gold would have added up to more than my initial 200 cost me. i consider the time i have been a lt and basically getting a compensated ride in response to my initial gamble to have been a good choice. nad really that is what a lt is, a gamble, you pay in up front that you expect the game to last long enough to be worth it. if the game goes on for years, you made a good call, and if its down in 6 months...you gambled.

standard caveats, i'd be a lot happier if Cryptic had put as much effort into this game as it deserves, and new powersets, costumes and areas were plentiful, this game could...SHOULD have been so much more, but looking at the gaming landscape, I aint getting this anywhere else. the second obsidian or bethesda decide to make what should have been the most obvious game ever and do a customizable superhero game right, then im gone.
  • Options
    rugrothrumborrugrothrumbor Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't regret it one bit. You don't find a game this good everyday.
  • Options
    gtw891gtw891 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Short answer Yes.

As a former long time CoX'er who's been playing CO ever since that game closed down I still think, despite it's problems (and there lots) is a great. One that I have no regrets as a Gold member and am leaning to strongly getting a LTS sometime this summer.
  • Options
    neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thearkady wrote: »
    There was a period in early to mid 2010 when I would've gone LTS.

Same. If they had offered it at launch rather than stop after beta, I'd gladly have bought one. But now? NOT A FREAKING CHANCE. :eek:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • Options
    pariahoyamapariahoyama Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Please forgive the double post...
    pariahoyamapariahoyama Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    impervium wrote: »

You know the problem with this "logic" is that you ASSUME that once the person buying the LTS to the game has invested their $200+ that magically they will NEVER SPEND A DIME ON IT AGAIN and ride off to their volcano lair to plot how to milk the poor community and devs out of content just for them. Most of the LTS people I know (myself, 2 brothers, 1 neice and 1 sister-in-law) didn't just buy the LTS and then sit back cackling. We have bought every costume set, power set and hideout. We have bought MANY MANY character slots, shared bank slots, costume slots and even stupid retrain tokens. We have bought figures, vehicles, becomes, enlarges, shrinks, XP boosts, keys and the ever popular awesome party bomb. We will continue to do so because we are invested, provided that stuff we actually want continues to be in the store and new stuff is coming. Even all this time later we are invested.

We buy into this game every chance we get. We buy C-Store (now zen) at least 3-4 times a year to the tune of $60-$150 each time.

We bought all this stuff because we feel invested in the game. The assumption that we bought our LTS and never spent another dime is absurd to me. Once you pay like that you usually want to enjoy the game. The best way to do that is to invest more into the game...not less. More time, more money and more concern.

Please consider that, devs and people like the person that posted this. LTS are invested and will spend. We've (at least the "we" I know) proved it once. We promise to invest time-and-again until the content dries up or the game takes a turn into "un-funland".
    cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't regret the LTS I have. One of the first LTS's from the beta in 2009. So, yeah, leap of faith.

Would I buy one now? Not with my money, not with your money, not with anybody's money.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,066 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cyrone wrote: »
    I don't regret the LTS I have. One of the first LTS's from the beta in 2009. So, yeah, leap of faith.

Would I buy one now? Not with my money, not with your money, not with anybody's money.

Well, the thing about LTS is...well..if I could see into the future way back last year when I bought LTS on the premise of Telepathy Additions (to show my support), I would have stayed Silver or at the very least gone temp gold.

If I knew going LTS was going to stop me from being able to play my main character the way I wanted to I dont think I would have done it at ALL.

Right now..it seems like CO = Vehicles and More Vehicles. Temporary Content. Frankly it doesnt feel right..or good.

So I wouldnt buy one right now, unless something seriously kick started CO and development took a massive jump and upped thier game.