Costume piece locked behind a vehicle?

scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
No, seriously. What the hell?
Post edited by scorpagor on

Comments

• baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm right with you on this...

This is really a backwards decision... buy a vehicle...get a costume??? WTH???

Let me buy the costume piece alone if needed, but stop pushing more and more vehicles down my throat... I DO NOT WANT MORE VEHICLES, and certainly NOT THE ONES AT THE Z STORE... i prefer to save up enough G and buy them from the AH. They are a cute novelty, and work as a nice 3rd travel power fro some characters... cool... but please do not gate the COSTUMES, the real strength of this game... the CUSTOMIZATION... behind the vehicles... that is just stupid
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhhmuPKe6w4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nz93Cmr3v8

etc. etc. etc.

They could at least show us what the helmet looks like. ._.

By the way, has anyone ever seen one of those snow-themed hover tanks flying around in-game? Because I sure haven't.

Oh, by the way? The only way I'd be willing to buy one of the god-awful vehicles from the Z-Store is if they came with a whole COSTUME SET. There's no other way. A stupid gladiator helmet (that's probably extremely bugged/broken/lacks material options) is not enough to get me to buy a gimped vehicle for my hard-earned Zen.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Unbelievable!!!! Cryptic just hit an all time low:mad: This p**ses me off to no end!
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I guess the vehicles aren't making money as much as they dreamed off. Go figure.
    And bugger off, Cryptic.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2013
    Do you people are really that surprised?

Because I'm not.
    I was waiting for move like this one.
    Cryptic needs to artificially boost worth of Z-Store vehicles, and certainly this is the quickest way.

No, really, there is nothing like "hitting new low" with Cryptic, they can always hit even lower.

This one is, actualy, quite amusing. :biggrin:

keikomyst wrote: »
    By the way, has anyone ever seen one of those snow-themed hover tanks flying around in-game? Because I sure haven't.

Nope.
    Never.
    Only Z-Store vehicles seen ingame by me were quad engine heavy tanks, bikes and stealth jets.
    Which is about right - heavy tank has very distinct look, bikes are bikes and stealth jets are nice looking and have this stealth device.

Well, I guess Cryptic simply can't sell those things, no matter how hard they are trying. :X

It's still amusing as hell.
    Because they could make vehicles colorable but instead tried quick and cheap way. And they failed again. :X
  • baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Because they could make vehicles colorable but instead tried quick and cheap way. And they failed again. :X

That would have been great... making a Garage option like the tailor, letting us MAKE our own vehicles and how they look... just buying the framework (Buy a tank, you can access the tank models, buy a bike, you can access the bike models, etc) able to combine pieces and color them as we please... THAT would have been epic... even for glorified travel powers
  • prootwaddleprootwaddle Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm right with you on this...

This is really a backwards decision... buy a vehicle...get a costume??? WTH???

It might the first sign that Cryptic is starting to realise that costumes are far more important to players than vehicles?

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Anyone care to lay odds on how long before a powerset or Archetype is bundled with a vehicle?
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • speekasspeekas Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    Anyone care to lay odds on how long before a powerset or Archetype is bundled with a vehicle?

Shhhh....don't give them ideas...
    I think they got their 'Braintrust of Silly Ideas' of them own for stuff like that allready.
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zahinder wrote: »

100 Zen it'll be a transformer AT...

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
    edited April 2013
    drgmstr wrote: »

Impossible for Cryptic level of expertise. It would need a customisable vehicle. :X

On the other hand... It seems they don't like anymore customisation in this game so why do not promote even more non-customisable toons?
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That would have been great... making a Garage option like the tailor, letting us MAKE our own vehicles and how they look... just buying the framework (Buy a tank, you can access the tank models, buy a bike, you can access the bike models, etc) able to combine pieces and color them as we please... THAT would have been epic... even for glorified travel powers

Taking a look into how costumes are stored, particularly bikes and chariots, I found out that these vehicles basically take the characters' current costume, and tacks an extra item onto them - the vehicle. If anything, it's encoded in a way that actually quite similar to weapon models.

That said, I believe it would be possible to make it so that an extra tab in the tailor would have an option for setting at least vehicle colors. There's other solutions one could take, like the garage, which, at worst, could do something like allow us to piece together cosmetic mods to get a vehicle with the appearance we want, and just work through a big line of like booleans or a hash table to generate vehicle models.

But instead we get this.

**** you cryptic, I'm out of here.

Need help with specializations?
    But only after I host my costume contest tonight.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

edited April 2013
    So.

Who wants to be the guinea pig? We all wanna see what the helmet looks like, I'm sure.

Who's got 920 Zen to blow?
    edited April 2013
    drgmstr wrote: »

Morphotechs, roll hence!

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I ponied up to see what this piece was. I didn't get the helmet.
  • datslendermandatslenderman Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I ponied up to see what this piece was. I didn't get the helmet.

False advertising at it's finest.
    edited April 2013
    You need to buy ALL the Vehicles to get the piece.
    :rolleyes:
    edited April 2013
    Five hundred Q says the sale just hasn't come up yet. Still, send in a ticket if you hadn't already. Hell, send in a ticket anyway to tell them how much their vehicles suck.
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    keikomyst wrote: »
    They could at least show us what the helmet looks like. ._.

They do. It looks like they were just delayed getting it activated. Within the last few minutes, the vehicles started showing their sale price, and this is now with the screenshots of each vehicle:

helmet.jpg
    Hey, remember when Forum Malvanum was supposed to get away from vehicles and back to characters?

So far, we've got a race that can only be won by vehicles and a costume piece that can only be bought with vehicles. And perfect timing on Cryptic's part to release this particular crap sandwich while TrailTurtle is vacationing on another continent. I'm sure it was merely a coincidence.

Between the systemic lack of communication, the deception with the press about CO in promotions for STO and NW, and now this, I feel like Cryptic has crossed the line into open contempt of veteran CO players.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They do. It looks like they were just delayed getting it activated. Within the last few minutes, the vehicles started showing their sale price, and this is now with the screenshots of each vehicle:

helmet.jpg

I feel sorry for anyone who bought the vehicles between the announcements and the actual discount applied.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hey, remember when Forum Malvanum was supposed to get away from vehicles and back to characters?

So far, we've got a race that can only be won by vehicles and a costume piece that can only be bought with vehicles. And perfect timing on Cryptic's part to release this particular crap sandwich while TrailTurtle is vacationing on another continent. I'm sure it was merely a coincidence.

Between the systemic lack of communication, the deception with the press about CO in promotions for STO and NW, and now this, I feel like Cryptic has crossed the line into open contempt of veteran CO players.

Yep. They'll happily let them keep paying more and more, while getting less and less for their money.

"Hey guys, we appreciate your continued monthly investment in the company.... would you like to spend some more money to actually get stuff now?"

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
    edited April 2013
    So, BoE or BoP piece?
  • yogid0nnieyogid0nnie Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why is everyone surprised by this? Cryptic had already done this once years ago, with the 2 weapon costume pieces bundled in with the Harajuku Twins Sidekick device.

Excuse me while I throw my wallet at the computer screen. My OCD demands I buy a stinking vehicle now.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    bluhman wrote: »
    Taking a look into how costumes are stored, particularly bikes and tanks, I found out that these vehicles basically take the characters' current costume, and tacks an extra item onto them - the vehicle. If anything, it's encoded in a way that actually quite similar to weapon models.

Hmm, that explains why my Tsunami is giant sized if I enter it while using a super magnifier, but I can't use the magnified again if I'm already inside and have turned it off or attacked someone.
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hey, Cryptic...

01-how-about-no-bear.jpg?w=800

I would gladly pay, even add zens to my account, for a new costume set. But paying to get a vehicle?

I'm still waiting for the removed content to be added to any of the stores. Or should I buy a lockbox from a vehicle to maybe get one of the pieces?

/grumpy cat out.

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yogid0nnie wrote: »
    Why is everyone surprised by this? Cryptic had already done this once years ago, with the 2 weapon costume pieces bundled in with the Harajuku Twins Sidekick device.

Excuse me while I throw my wallet at the computer screen. My OCD demands I buy a stinking vehicle now.

At least the Harajuku Twins was only $2 for two weapon skins, and not $10+ for a hat.
    At least the Harajuku Twins was only $2 for two weapon skins, and not $10+ for a hat.

Quoted for truth!!!
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I so often feel like I defend CO on these forums, but this is simply terrible.

One costume piece comes with a vehicle that people don't generally want.

*sigh*

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    edited April 2013
    That helmet looks like it could've been whipped up in, at most, an hour of casual work.

Not worth $9.20.
    edited April 2013
    It betrays a fundamental misunderstanding or disinterest in what draws most of us to the game.

People want to make interesting looking characters, among other things. Exclusive content that's either time-limited or bundled exclusively with stuff you may not want is irritating and diminishing to many of us.

The thing is, in other venues, it would make sense. 'Hey, this is something extra, a perk, that we whipped up to go with this item! Why be upset? It's not like it existed previously, and it's a PERK, not something we expect you to buy on its own! And it's exclusive so that it's actually a reward/perk.'

If we had loads of content all the time, if we didn't care that much about appearance, and so on? That would make sense. I mean, in Team Fortress 2, a funny hat is a perk. I'm not going to be bent out of shape that I didn't preorder Valve's Lemur Tower Defense to unlock the King Lemur fuzzy hat for my engineer.

But in THIS game, given THIS game's history?

Someone up the chain is an idiot.

edited April 2013
    Yep. Getting that helmet is not going to be the bonus that convinces people to spend Zen to buy a sub-par vehicle.

Most players DO NOT USE VEHICLES. And those that use vehicles prefer the better ones, not what is sold in the Z store.

More to the point, the vehicles that people like the most (bikes and the new chariot) are ones that let you see your character.

CO, moves like this chip away at both my enthusiasm and my optimism.

So wrongheaded . . .

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    edited April 2013
    Anybody who wanted to buy Z-Store ride did it long time ago. This not-so-great helmet and a discount may lure a few people who have spare stipend and nothing to buy, but it's hardly enticing for spending any real cash.

Ironically, if vehicles had any visual customisation they could be monetised by selling vehicle costumes, even a simple ones like new camo patterns. But Cryptic again knew better. :biggrin:
    edited April 2013
    So true, meedacthunist: if vehicles were even a little customizable, they would have sold like gangbusters.

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,619 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Harajuku Twins were at least useful to have. I wanted more costumes tied to little special purchases in the store like sidekicks. But not behind a device that I have already purchased. I feel sorry for anyone who purchased a zen store vehicle before this point.

Its at least obvious that they are tyring new ways to push vehicle sales. They'll try anything before admitting it fails and move on to the next thing.

What if costume pieces were behind hideout purchases? Would you purchase another to get them?

Even if Therakiel's Sword was put behind a vehicle, I would skip that opportunity without looking back.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Even worse - that's one ugly-**** helmet. You want me to spend real money on a ride, and as a bonus you're going to throw in that thing?

Looks more like you're throwing it in to "sweeten the pot" mostly because nobody would ever want it any other way...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!!!

You're telling me...

I have to spend...920 Zen...

For a helmet?

Nevermind the vehicle, this is basically spend 920 zen, for....A HELMET!

:confused:
    edited April 2013
    That helmet would just ruin your girlish complexion. Don't bother.
  • crosnightcrosnight Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i wanna know what happened to costume sets, you know the ORIGINAL way of getting us to spend money for costume parts.

we havent had a new costume set in months: heck theres enough gladiator costume parts given out as race rewards, lockbox chances, and the sale gift to make a set (even the old parts from nemcon i can be seen added to it).

just give us the complete costume set or it as mission rewards
  • malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think you went full poo-brain, Cryptic.
    edited April 2013
    malvou wrote: »
    I think you went full poo-brain, Cryptic.

f86.jpg

Oh, they just did it.

Cryptic, not Malvou.

Malvou is very cool. Very cool only!

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
    edited April 2013
    one_silly_wolf_again_by_woxys-d2xsd9i.jpg

I CAN COUNT TO POTATO!

• ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Those same helmets will be available during the finale mission for Malvan as a box reward for the repeatable quest?

I mean logically its pretty predictable at this point.
    edited April 2013
    Hmm, that explains why my Tsunami is giant sized if I enter it while using a super magnifier, but I can't use the magnified again if I'm already inside and have turned it off or attacked someone.

you can't activate other devices while you're already in a transformation mode like the becomes. But you can deactivate devices, and have auras etc on before you transform. black widow with dark aura looks pretty boss.
  • c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Small bonus for those considering buying a vehicle, somebody accidently or otherwise re-introduced the original Hawkwings into the Z store for the same price as the lamer Mk2s. However, the helmet is cloth only...again :mad:
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    bluhman wrote: »
    Taking a look into how costumes are stored, particularly bikes and chariots, I found out that these vehicles basically take the characters' current costume, and tacks an extra item onto them - the vehicle. If anything, it's encoded in a way that actually quite similar to weapon models.

That said, I believe it would be possible to make it so that an extra tab in the tailor would have an option for setting at least vehicle colors. There's other solutions one could take, like the garage, which, at worst, could do something like allow us to piece together cosmetic mods to get a vehicle with the appearance we want, and just work through a big line of like booleans or a hash table to generate vehicle models.

But instead we get this.

**** you cryptic, I'm out of here.

Need help with specializations?
    But only after I host my costume contest tonight.

Why don't you and brou send a technical letter to the developers via their personal contacts board on the main cryptic website. Wave any intellectual property rights so they can use the idea, and make a proposition as to how they can re-aquire the resources via the cash shop.

Ideas: 500zen coin that lets you send your vehicle to the body shop tab in the costume creator where you can alter the color etc. 2 ways of doing it to re-aquire the resources required to push the project...

A. You up the cost to 1000 zen and open the body shop permanently so you can alter the color as many times as you want.

B. You set up an entry ticket system for a lower price where players can alter the stuff once, and in order to re-alter it they have to purchase another ticket.

Either way though, last time the connection with the costume creator was brought up I don't think brou's origional post had a strong enough impression to reach the people that need to hear it the most.

All I gotta say to you guys is this, as a developer myself, having intelligent players within the community to propose an idea for a system in the game makes a much heavier impact when you bring across as many details as possible into ways to implement it and what you as a player would do with the new implementation.
    There's no telling what cryptics average workload looks like, or how many things they have panned out across their board room tables, but, its a good idea, and you guys should get together and re-itterate that point to whom it may concern.

I'm not aware of the technicalities of it or how brou originally found the debug commands required but, its a definite possibility if you guys can piece together as much as possible and send it through the right channels. Don't go through PWE, they're just publishers, send it to the factory if you know what I mean.

Also, you do realize we have signatures right?
  • arcolfarcolf Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, I thought I might contribute to this.

As of this moment, the Helmet is Cloth-only.
    No material options, same as the previous "Alien Gladiator Helmet 2 / No Mask".

Beyond the C-Store picture of the helmet -

Here are images of the Helmet from the Front, Left, and Rear with the default colors.

Front:
    XF69UZEs.jpg

Left:
    Z2lmcYis.jpg

Rear:
    8O8Glk7s.jpg
    edited April 2013
    arcolf wrote: »
    Well, I thought I might contribute to this.

As of this moment, the Helmet is Cloth-only.
    No material options, same as the previous "Alien Gladiator Helmet 2 / No Mask".

Beyond the C-Store picture of the helmet -

Here are images of the Helmet from the Front, Left, and Rear with the default colors.

Front:
    XF69UZEs.jpg

Left:
    Z2lmcYis.jpg

Rear:
    8O8Glk7s.jpg

I would hope that they would patch that at some point and add in the bump map and update the material editor for metal and leather on those two pieces. If not, your costume guy is slackin.
    edited April 2013
    Pffft, I could get this hat for that price tag in a warhat simulator...

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!