test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Massively: Second Wind look at Champions

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited April 2013 in Super News Network
Beau Hindman, Contributing Editor with Massively, spent some time with Champions as part of his Second Wind series. You can read his column at Massively; we're happy to report the reporter had a good time, especially after discovering Two-Gun Mojo.

Glad you're enjoying Champions, Beau! Go give his column a read, and watch the livestream of his experience as well.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This guy's doing it right. Glad he had fun, and it's always good to see someone avoiding the Alert grind rather than playing into it.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    RPG on crack lol

and the awkward moment when he tries to rank up rank 3 2GM :p

It was nice to see a nice review about CO ^_^
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As much as some (myself included) have been critical of CO and of Cryptic, it is good to remember those OMG moments when you got to create exactly the character you wanted, played through a combat at a frenetic bazillion miles a minute pace the first time, and the moment when you took down a whole swath of bad guys the first time...and realized that you were a superhero.

This article really helps.

Kudos to those who brought us this far. Now lets hope that we are still going somewhere.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    thearkadythearkady Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Seriously, he "didn't really notice the difference" between F2P and subscription, but praises the "ability to tweak the living heck out of your character" including the fact that "you can adjust each power"?

Doesn't sound like he was actually trying all that hard to notice the difference between F2P and subscription freeform. I'm not sure a review that makes a mistake like that is really going to bee a boon to the game; people might give it a shot with the wrong expectations :(
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Any "review" by a man who hasn't even reached level 40 is bound to miss quite a lot.

And the biggest downfall of champions online is not its present, its the past and future. If you're willing to suspend belief and accept the status quo of Champions Online. This is the article for you.

If you were expecting Cryptic Studios to provide an actual video game (you know.. without extreme bias and extreme prejudice). Then Champions Online IS NOT the game for you.

It was nice to see a nice review about CO ^_^

Yeah..? Well I don't like misinformation. So this article is nothing but conjecture of opinion.

Not that there was already a thread on the subject to merge or anything..
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    Yeah..? Well I don't like misinformation. So this article is nothing but conjecture of opinion.

True, I read the article and watched the video, and it did seem like he was a bit wishy washy, and I saw your comment too :biggrin:

I guess, it was just..refreshing perhaps to see some external praise for CO, even if it was an opinion based off customisation and 2GM :tongue:
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2013

What game review is not opinion ?

I am curious as to what misinformation you refer to. I may need to reread the article and remove my more positive response.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    gtw891gtw891 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Nice article. Plays just about the way I do now (only I use alerts as a 'bridge' when I need an extra boost to cover a lvl). Still stuff like this is what this game needs.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Might be one of the closest reviews I've ever seen to how I feel about the game, warts and all.

I feel like "I didn't see much difference between a sub and not" was probably because he subscribed pretty quickly after starting, and so didn't have time to fall into the AT trap. That said? This is the first straight-up, no conditions, unabashedly positive review I've seen of CO since... Well... Ever.

Cool, it almost makes up for "a mild mannered reporter" bashing on us left and right and telling everyone how badly we're suffering.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2013
    Glad he liked it, but this article is simply misinformed.
    The mild mannered reporter was spot on, because the journalist delayed writing it till he had more knowledge about the game.

This one is simply a very incomplete review.

Difference between this and the mild mannered reporter's shows only one thing - CO is a churn game, thin on content and fully appealing only to relatively new players but with really low potential for players retention.

It can fool more new people into the game, but they will not stay.

And nothing will change and Cryptic will stay to it's lockboxed temporary content.

It do reminds me my initial experience with CO. It ended after my first toon hit 40.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
  • Options
    graegoylegraegoyle Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is the first time I've ever looked at one of these review videos seriously but I don't see anything professional about it. If this is industry-standard, no wonder people have such a low opinion about games and game journalists.
  • Options
    purg777purg777 Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2013
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yes, Smackwell/TrailTurtle..

It would seem SOMEONE in this thread is trying to pick a fight. And is bringing up subjects that serve no purpose to the reason of the thread..

Here's a hint: it's not me.
    Report violations, do not quote them or reply to them. Responding to a violation in an inflammatory manner is a violation in itself and will result in appropriate action. It is also important to not abuse the Report Post function by excessively reporting posts, sending false alarms, or nonsensical messages. Abuse of the report post button can result in an infraction for spamming.

• Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited April 2013
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Now, now there are not trolls here but

Shills
    from other games and companies that are better not named here yes. Instead of heaping praises upon the product of their company (but i have seen them to do that too) they bad mouth CO every time that they can
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Any "review" by a man who hasn't even reached level 40 is bound to miss quite a lot.

And the biggest downfall of champions online is not its present, its the past and future. If you're willing to suspend belief and accept the status quo of Champions Online. This is the article for you.

If you were expecting Cryptic Studios to provide an actual video game (you know.. without extreme bias and extreme prejudice). Then Champions Online IS NOT the game for you.

And if you read the article responses I also said
    Customization, Community, and Lore are all pretty rich in Champions Online. But somehow they've forgotten that they were making a video game.. game mechanics are so broken it's laughable (i.e. treating ranged so much better than melee and flight so much better than ground.. and don't even get me started on stealth or crowd control). It's all gas and no breaks with plenty of options but absolutely no effective governance. While content for a brand new player is fresh and ample .. The only endgame to speak of is to rinse and repeat that process.

Champions Online Summary: Roleplayers rejoice, Game Players remorse

I have plenty of good things to say about the game. If you disagree with what I said. Good for you and feel free to post ALL about it. But to speak as if you know me when you clearly do not IS an attack and will be treated as such.

tumblr_mdg211Uxn71rqq36h.gif

• Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Animated images are not allowed.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Animated images are not allowed.

... in signatures.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2013

What's the misinformation? The review is of a new-player experience. He clearly states that. Obviously, as a new player, he's not going to know all the ins and outs of the game.

It would be misinformation if the review made no mention of his status as a player, and acted like this was every player's experience the entire time.

I think it's a good and honest review, but I'm interested in learning which parts you felt were dishonest.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    1) In the video he describes his dissatisfaction with this build until getting, the much talked about as new overpowered PotM, two-gun mojo. People who do not know the powers table will assume that most power-sets have a 2GMJ of their own. They do not.

2) After mowing down players with 2GMJ he expresses that he will continue to put points into the power (even though he's spent 4 adv points already in the power).

3) He is creating a character from his personal comic book writing experience and speaks to costumes that are not available to free players, but are purchasable.

4) His level is rather low, and his experience in the game is not from an internal comparative. One of the greatest frustrations of the game is not customization but rather about regulation. He has made one concept character and thus as I said, he is bound to miss ALOT in the game. Specifically how certain powers/builds compare to others.

5) He shows an Adventure Pack (which many players had to pay for at one time) as though it is regular game-mission content. Not as one of three mission chains available.

.. Those are what comes to the top of my head.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    1) In the video he describes his dissatisfaction with this build until getting, the much talked about as new overpowered PotM, two-gun mojo. People who do not know the powers table will assume that most power-sets have a 2GMJ of their own. They do not.

2) After mowing down players with 2GMJ he expresses that he will continue to put points into the power (even though he's spent 4 adv points already in the power).

3) He is creating a character from his personal comic book writing experience and speaks to costumes that are not available to free players, but are purchasable.

4) His level is rather low, and his experience in the game is not from an internal comparative. One of the greatest frustrations of the game is not customization but rather about regulation. He has made one concept character and thus as I said, he is bound to miss ALOT in the game. Specifically how certain powers/builds compare to others.

5) He shows an Adventure Pack (which many players had to pay for at one time) as though it is regular game-mission content. Not as one of three mission chains available.

1. You're reading too much into it. Your argument is an assumption, and he clearly states that this pertains to the "gun-slinging profession." Anyone taking away anything more from this than "the gun slinging profession is not great until you get Two Gun Mojo" has no one to blame but themselves.
    Article wrote:
    At first, I found the gun-slinging profession to be pretty bland. I was killed easily, and it took me forever to take down anything. Suddenly, though, I discovered how to use the "two-gun mojo" ability. I can choose a target, start firing by using my standard auto-attack, and quickly hold down the button to pull out two guns.

2. Was this part of the livestream? Because I didn't watch that. Did he ever come to the conclusion in the video that he couldn't put points into it?

3. Not sure I understand. In the second paragraph he states that he subscribed. Is this something in the video, as well?

4. The article is very clear about him being a new player. It never claimed to be about comparisons of powersets.

5. That players had to pay for the missions is irrelevant. Again, he's showing how a new player finds all this stuff. Yes, he mentions them as just other missions, but forget everything you know about the game already, and what do they become? Just missions. Level-scaling missions. Does it help a new player, at all, to know that some people paid for this content two years ago? Does it help new players to know that they're not part of a larger story? I don't think so. He says that the missions were one big story arc that took him several game sessions to complete. That, as far as anyone's concerned, is true.

It looks like what you're looking for is someone to make a big huge analysis of the game with bullet-points of all the game's problems, but this article isn't that. This article is about giving the game a second chance long after the last time he tried it. He reported on his experience. That's all.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013

and ?
    Have you read the comments on massively to other games DCUO in particular? How come I have never read any comment on those from such a great critic like yourself? :biggrin:
    Anyway your comments are not relevant to that article that i have found ( and I think that my opinion has at least the same value as yours ) it was well done and unbiased no matter what you can think
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    and ?
    Have you read the comments on massively to other games DCUO in particular? How come I have never read any comment on those from such a great critic like yourself? :biggrin:
    Anyway your comments are not relevant to that article that i have found ( and I think that my opinion has at least the same value as yours ) it was well done and unbiased no matter what you can think

Wrong lake. Put the bait back in the tackle box.
    1. You're reading too much into it. Your argument is an assumption, and he clearly states that this pertains to the "gun-slinging profession." Anyone taking away anything more from this than "the gun slinging profession is not great until you get Two Gun Mojo" has no one to blame but themselves.

I agree.. but when they come to the game and expect a set, lets say... Fire (or telepathy), has its OWN version of 2GMJ, they will be amongst the disgruntled (ex?)players.
    2. Was this part of the livestream? Because I didn't watch that. Did he ever come to the conclusion in the video that he couldn't put points into it?

Yes it was part of the live-stream, and to my memory he did not come to that conclusion.
    3. Not sure I understand. In the second paragraph he states that he subscribed. Is this something in the video, as well?

To rephrase my argument, he is under the impression that he can take his concept and make it come to life in Champions Online (visually) as a silver player. Though there are MANY costumes available to gold that are not available to silver players when he went to the costume creator (not to mention that he got the costumes he was looking for wrong).
    4. The article is very clear about him being a new player. It never claimed to be about comparisons of powersets.

And I state as a new player, champions online has a lot to offer. But it is not at all indicative of the Champions Online experience. Specifically since he is selling Champions Online as a game with high replay value (rolling alts) without having played other sets. This is misinformed as any reporter.
    5. That players had to pay for the missions is irrelevant. Again, he's showing how a new player finds all this stuff. Yes, he mentions them as just other missions, but forget everything you know about the game already, and what do they become? Just missions. Level-scaling missions. Does it help a new player, at all, to know that some people paid for this content two years ago? Does it help new players to know that they're not part of a larger story? I don't think so. He says that the missions were one big story arc that took him several game sessions to complete. That, as far as anyone's concerned, is true.

It looks like what you're looking for is someone to make a big huge analysis of the game with bullet-points of all the game's problems, but this article isn't that. This article is about giving the game a second chance long after the last time he tried it. He reported on his experience. That's all.

Part one, "That players had to pay for missions" is not irrelevant. But please note that I put it in parenthesis as not a major part of my argument.

The argument difference is that these "epic missions" he speaks of.. there are 3. The impression given to readers is that this is regular content after level 15. Misleading.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Wrong lake. Put the bait back in the tackle box.
    Wrong lake ? really? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I agree.. but when they come to the game and expect a set, lets say... Fire (or telepathy), has its OWN version of 2GMJ, they will be amongst the disgruntled (ex?)players.

I can tell you from my very own experience that this didn't turn me into an ex player. When I started playing the fire set, I asked "where is this set's Haymaker?" I don't like DoTs. I like things that go boom real freakin big. Same with the arcane set.

Those are sets I end up not playing. There are still many other sets I do like in the game. If I ended up not liking any of the sets, that's a different story altogether.
    Yes it was part of the live-stream, and to my memory he did not come to that conclusion.

Well, at least it was unintentional misinformation. Misinformation nonetheless.
    To rephrase my argument, he is under the impression that he can take his concept and make it come to life in Champions Online (visually) as a silver player. Though there are MANY costumes available to gold that are not available to silver players when he went to the costume creator (not to mention that he got the costumes he was looking for wrong).

I'll have to watch the video for this part then. If he says specifically that a silver player can use all the costume pieces he shows, then your point stands.
    And I state as a new player, champions online has a lot to offer. But it is not at all indicative of the Champions Online experience. Specifically since he is selling Champions Online as a game with high replay value (rolling alts) without having played other sets. This is misinformed as any reporter.

Technically he's not wrong, though. The game does have high replay value when it comes to alts. My seventy-something characters in my roster are a clear indicator of that. If he mentioned high replay value and alts in the same point, I personally can't say I disagree.
    The argument difference is that these "epic missions" he speaks of.. there are 3. The impression given to readers is that this is regular content after level 15. Misleading.

Again I think you're reading too much into it. When you bring "impressions" into it, you're bringing in your own interpretation of what was said. I didn't get that impression about it. But on both sides of this argument, it's not easy to be objective about this one. Some people might get that impression, some might not, some might not even care.

Beside the point - Aren't there more than three? Serpent Lantern, Demonflame, Resistance, Aftershock, Whiteout?
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Btw Smackwell, how come I cant view the Community Rules and Policies?

When I click the link I get this message:

theravenforce, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

As far as I am aware, my account hasnt been disabled. Could it be I have insufficient privileges?
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Well, at least it was unintentional misinformation. Misinformation nonetheless.

I cite his ignorance, not apathy, as a large reason I dislike the article. I do not feel in any way his ignorance is malicious. (though I do not have proof that massively was not compensated for this article by Cryptic or other involved companies.).
    Technically he's not wrong, though. The game does have high replay value when it comes to alts. My seventy-something characters in my roster are a clear indicator of that. If he mentioned high replay value and alts in the same point, I personally can't say I disagree.
    Not wrong and propagandized misinformation can co-exist. I in no way expect any less. I do know from the writer's Twitter account that they he infers that they DO accept money for "reviews" and other news press. But I will not make any accusation in this case until evidence is provided.
    Beside the point - Aren't there more than three? Serpent Lantern, Demonflame, Resistance, Aftershock, Whiteout?

The Content expansions have decreased in size. Of which there has been one "mini-expansion" in Vibora Bay; then, three notably smaller adventure packs of Serpent Lantern, Demonflame, then Resistance; then two notably even SMALLER comic series of Aftershock and Whiteout; then the current NOTABLY EVEN STILL SMALLER bevy of alerts specifically "specialized alerts" as in Harmon Industries, Hi-Pan, GRAB, Gravitar. Then specialized Queable (temporary?) mission queues in Until Carrier and Harbinger event.. then the Even Smaller and less developed "event" content.

The argument that there are more than 3 Adventure packs would be non-factual. But that is not to say there have not been releases. But when not seen in context of HOW and HOW MUCH these releases have come it does not paint the bleak picture that is the reality of the current state of Champions Online.

For that matter.. I don't even see where you can report posts anymore.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

I was just thinking that perhaps the policy is classed as a privilaged system perhaps? Maybe that's why I can't access it.

Not the first thing to go wrong today, I got chatbanned thanks to this person: Mentella@ravenforce

Apparently having created her was a crime and worthy of a chatban as soon as I logged on lol
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Heh uh... I can't even see it. Don't know when my link got busted but thanks for letting me know, I'll fix it. :P

For what it's worth, it should be on the Announcements section of every forum. Here's the link, anyway: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/announcement.php?f=90&a=81
    I cite his ignorance, not apathy, as a large reason I dislike the article. I do not feel in any way his ignorance is malicious. (though I do not have proof that massively was not compensated for this article by Cryptic or other involved companies.).

I think Cryptic would do better to spend money in advertizing instead of buying reviews, but who knows. While I doubt it's true, all we can do is guess.
    Not wrong and propagandized misinformation can co-exist. I in no way expect any less. I do know from the writer's Twitter account that they he infers that they DO accept money for "reviews" and other news press. But I will not make any accusation in this case until evidence is provided.

I dunno, since that line literally applies to me, it's completely valid.

Anyway, accepting money for an article is different than accepting money for a favorable article. One is "Hey, review our game" and the other is "Hey, lie to your audience."
    The Content expansions have decreased in size. Of which there has been one "mini-expansion" in Vibora Bay; then, three notably smaller adventure packs of Serpent Lantern, Demonflame, then Resistance; then two notably even SMALLER comic series of Aftershock and Whiteout; then the current NOTABLY EVEN STILL SMALLER bevy of alerts specifically "specialized alerts" as in Harmon Industries, Hi-Pan, GRAB, Gravitar. Then specialized Queable (temporary?) mission queues in Until Carrier and Harbinger event.. then the Even Smaller and less developed "event" content.

The argument that there are more than 3 Adventure packs would be non-factual. But that is not to say there have not been releases. But when not seen in context of HOW and HOW MUCH these releases have come it does not paint the bleak picture that is the reality of the current state of Champions Online.

For what it's worth, I don't see any difference between an Adventure Pack and a Comic Series aside form how they were presented to us years ago. They're basically the same thing.

The fact that our content has diminished in size is off the point. Your initial point was that he presented these missions as a different experience in the game when you get to level 15.

I won't argue the point you're making now; it's obvious less and less attention is being given to expanding Champs content-wise, but it's not relevant to the article or the point you made earlier.

You can't anymore. Best thing to do is send a private message to turtle or a moderator.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The fact that our content has diminished in size is off the point. Your initial point was that he presented these missions as a different experience in the game when you get to level 15.

I won't argue the point you're making now; it's obvious less and less attention is being given to expanding Champs content-wise, but it's not relevant to the article or the point you made earlier.

He is presenting one of the Adventure Packs (the second largest style expansion, of which there are only three) as though they are regular mission content.

If he had presented one issue of a comic series, or a series of alerts, or one of the queue-able instanced missions I would have less of an issue with it. (Also I dont know if this content was available for the "First Wind")

But it is not an adequate representation of game content to me, but rather a representation of broken promises. I do not expect a new player to know or care about this.. but it my biggest issue with champions online is not the "new player" experience. Cryptic Studios has brought in PLENTY of "new players". But very few stay.

And those who play with me know, I am a roleplayer of a singular toon. Kontrol has a specific story I want to be able to tell on a Superhero MMO. Those who play with me are also single toon players. My friends IRL who have joined Champions Online from the tabletop gaming community want this same experience. Champions Online offers so little to KEEP players. And any "Second View" of the game that doesn't address these things (aka the reason SO MANY PLAYERS have left Champions Online) to me is lacking.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What I find humorous is the fact that the very things that keep me playing CO, turn off some of my friends from playing it;

The whole concept of "alting" is almost alien to some people - they create their 1 or 2 big characters, and grind week after week in top-end raids/trials/dungeons.

The whole concept of being able to have your character look the way you want, (instead of how your gear allows you to look), is similarly unknown to them - they think you should only be able to display that L33T piece of armor or weapon if you "earned" it, (that is to say, grinded some particular lair enough times until the RNG gods smiled on you, and allowed said piece of equipment to drop).

They just can't wrap their head around concepts such as charging up a power or maintaining one - They're used to playing the "cooldown game" and simply pressing a key to trigger some power, with almost no variation in how said power is actually used, (there's just the initial key press and that's it).

TBH, I fault the tutorial for some of this confusion - they should have a mission that grants you some temporary devices, (a combo-click, a charge, a maintain, and a toggle), and teach you how to use them and how they differ. They should also bring back the block tutorial while they're at it.

I mean, heck, there isn't even anything that teaches you about the different material options for some costume pieces, much less how some can have glow added to them...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    He is presenting one of the Adventure Packs (the second largest style expansion, of which there are only three) as though they are regular mission content.

If he had presented one issue of a comic series, or a series of alerts, or one of the queue-able instanced missions I would have less of an issue with it. (Also I dont know if this content was available for the "First Wind")

But it is not an adequate representation of game content to me, but rather a representation of broken promises. I do not expect a new player to know or care about this.. but it my biggest issue with champions online is not the "new player" experience. Cryptic Studios has brought in PLENTY of "new players". But very few stay.

And those who play with me know, I am a roleplayer of a singular toon. Kontrol has a specific story I want to be able to tell on a Superhero MMO. Those who play with me are also single toon players. My friends IRL who have joined Champions Online from the tabletop gaming community want this same experience. Champions Online offers so little to KEEP players. And any "Second View" of the game that doesn't address these things (aka the reason SO MANY PLAYERS have left Champions Online) to me is lacking.

Your points are valid, and I share some of them, but it's a new-player article, and he represented the Adventure Packs exactly like a new player might stumble upon them and react to them.

He doesn't say they're regular mission content. He just says "Oh, hey, there's these, which are pretty cool." It's not misinformation.

It's not an adequate representation of the game's content. Couldn't agree more. But, a representation of the content wasn't the goal of the article.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I can tell you from my very own experience that this didn't turn me into an ex player. When I started playing the fire set, I asked "where is this set's Haymaker?" I don't like DoTs. I like things that go boom real freakin big. Same with the arcane set.

Hey Smack, with some set up I've managed to get Fireball to hit close to Haymaker...it takes a lot of set up but it can be done....ignoring the DoTs. 1. Fire Snake. 2. Heat Wave (with advantage). 3. Fire Strike (with Kindling advantage)x3 shots then charge Fireball I've hit (with non-optimized gear) crits of around 6k in the Tank Role.

And as far as the article is concerned. Hey the guy had fun while he was here. And his article while it didn't cover any of the negative feedback of the forum flies (he did reference this with a reference to Mild-Mannered's review.)
    So today, I want to tackle the game from a fresh, newbier perspective than the one taken in our weekly superhero column, A Mild-Mannered Reporter, where Eliot has been chronicling the playerbase's frustration with the game's content-update shortcomings.

So, he acknowledged that many a vet is dissatisfied with the current state of things, but forged ahead to give the review from the newcomer's perspective. And the one thing this game does relatively well is give a good first impression (at least if you've subscribed for a month.)
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited April 2013
    Reporting posts was a feature that didn't make the jump over when the forums shifted.

I've reposted the Community Rules and Guidelines post -- can you access it properly? Can you get to it if you're not logged in?
  • Options
    thearkadythearkady Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Rules and Guidelines page is loading fine. (And I think it makes more sense than the old one.)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Heh uh... I can't even see it. Don't know when my link got busted but thanks for letting me know, I'll fix it. :P

For what it's worth, it should be on the Announcements section of every forum. Here's the link, anyway: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/announcement.php?f=90&a=81
    Reporting posts was a feature that didn't make the jump over when the forums shifted.

I've reposted the Community Rules and Guidelines post -- can you access it properly? Can you get to it if you're not logged in?

Nope, the link doesnt like me poking my psychic powers around there either...I just get this message from Smackwell's updated and cited link:

Invalid Announcement specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

EDIT: I exited this forum and went to the announcement section and found it fine, it's just the link that doesnt like Telepaths >_>...the link is superhero-ist...>_> <_< <_> :P
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Nope, the link doesnt like me poking my psychic powers around there either...I just get this message from Smackwell's updated and cited link:

Invalid Announcement specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

EDIT: I exited this forum and went to the announcement section and found it fine, it's just the link that doesnt like Telepaths >_>...the link is superhero-ist...>_> <_< <_> :P

(In my best Magneto/Cyclops Voice): It's all apart of the conspiracy of silence. Champions Online hates telepaths and always will. And yet you, Mentella, for reasons I may never understand continue to fight for those who hate and fear you.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    (In my best Magneto/Cyclops Voice): It's all apart of the conspiracy of silence. Champions Online hates telepaths and always will. And yet you, Mentella, for reasons I may never understand continue to fight for those who hate and fear you.

QFT :frown: :biggrin: