test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Immortalize AngelOfCaine Cryptic!

iamroxstariamroxstar Posts: 16 Arc User
It only seems fitting that I start a campaign to get AngelOfCaine immortalized in CO in some way or another. Whether that be making a statue of his main or getting Crimson Bolt to be the face of an archetype. For those that don't know why this is fitting, Caine rallied to get Roxstar to be the face of the Earth set.

This is of course in response to this thread:

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3123331&postcount=120

What do you guys think? Which character should he be most remembered for? How should he be immortalized? Crytpic how long to make it happen?

Suggested Ideas:
- Crimson Bolt as the new Tempest AT
- Statue of Caine/Crimson Bolt (MC) (RenC) (VB - theme) (Powerhouse)
- Toymaster to give out Crimson Bolt action figure as a tutorial
- Easter Egg Plaque
- Memorial Gardens
- Replace Socrates with Crimson Bolt
- Memorial Bench w/ Plaque
- Add as one of the trainers in the Powerhouse
- Caine as an angel fighting alongside us in Bloodmoon

ShuckCreations.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by iamroxstar on

Comments

• Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm gonna echo my recommendation from the other thread and say that either Crimson Bolt becomes the new face of The Tempest or that said character gets a memorial statue somewhere in MC.

I don't care how long or how much either option would take, they'd be resources well spent imho.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    In addition to the two suggestions, maybe do have the Toymaster in Ren Cen hand out Action Figures of the Crimson bolt? Implement it as an "Action Figure tutorial" which any new player will do.
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Maybe make his character an NPC that shows up in UNITY missions, too?
    Or have him hanging around somewhere. Or maybe have him go on routine patrols in downtown Millenium City, knocking around any enemy NPC's he comes across?
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree whole heartedly. Replacing one of the Generic statues in Ren. Centre or the Memorial Park would be an excellent idea.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    grazerrgrazerr Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    in agreement.....signed
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I too back this notion, something indeed should be done to remember Angel.

I only knew him briefly, but in the time that I knew him he was a good friend, and I will miss him :frown:
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Complete agreement. We need some more characteristic statues to replace those same generic 'praying girl', 'akimbo man', and 'lightball fat guy' statues we see all across MC.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    bluhman wrote: »
    Complete agreement. We need some more characteristic statues to replace those same generic 'praying girl', 'akimbo man', and 'lightball fat guy' statues we see all across MC.

Actually, I think some of those statues are modeled after the heroes who died in the Destroyer attack on Detroit, lol.
  • Options
    heavynosferatuheavynosferatu Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Agreed and signed.
    Devil and the deep blue sea behind me
    Vanish in the air you'll never find me
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    How about a plaque, as sort of an Easter egg, like the memorial plaque on the bridge in the park?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just thinking about this last night before I went to bed.

Couldn't stop crying.

Very much signed.
  • Options
    coircoir Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    /sign

Been here for a long time and usually sit in the background but on this matter I need to post agreement.

There's lots of quiet places tucked away that could be turned into a small memorial garden.

There are players here that have invested a lot of time, energy and testing into turning this game and it's players into a tighter community and now the Devs have a chance to show appreciation for that dedication in a manner that will cost little but mean much to some in the community.

Condolences to friends and family. RIP AoC.

Kind Regards,

@Ad1.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think a statue in that park across from PSI, with a memorial plaque on it (and maybe a minor perk for reading it, like the perk you get for reading the plaque on the small business in Chinatown) would be appropriate.

Although I would also not be against using Crimson Bolt as the predesigned costume for the Tempest - the one you have now just isn't attractive.

Both together would be ideal.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    s3rjus3rju Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    agreed and signed as well.

My build directory (work in progress)
    Guide list
    Freeform Builds

In loving memory of AngelofCaine.
  • Options
    drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am sorry to hear about this great loss to the community and friends to many. A statue in memory would be a honorable thing to do.

I remember playing WoW from release date in 2004. In 2005 to have the 'In Loving Memory' monument added in Hillsbrad Foothills of a death to a close friend to Blizzard employees. Each year our guild would pay our respects to how a bond is strong among the community.

I would pay my respects every time I see a statue of Angel. I never really got to know him but I have seen what he has done for the community and he has my respect. I'll add 'In Loving Memory of AngelofCaine.' to my signature. The least I can do.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    /signed statue could be done with small effort from the devs
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    works for me, good idea. would be a great community outreach.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    He was big in the community, so I think it would be fitting to have his character where the community gathers the most - Renaissance Center.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    louisfrienddrn#8375 louisfrienddrn Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    /sign
    totally in agreement that this should be done.
    "I have never questioned the orders or the intelligence of any representative of the Federation. Until now." - James T. Kirk
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    -Deleted for double post- Darn internet....

"Embrace your dreams"

• Options
    edited April 2013
    He was big in the community, so I think it would be fitting to have his character where the community gathers the most - Renaissance Center.

Perhaps even have a statue of him be replaced one of the other statues in front of City Hall, or just have his added, and be added to the alerts, i.e. Recruitment Drive, Two Minute Drill, Fighting City Hall, Radiation Rumble, etc. So even when others might not travel around the city, they can at least view it in the alerts.

"Embrace your dreams"

• Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Agreed 10 char
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Agreed, let's see SOMETHING.
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited April 2013
    Did anyone reverse-engineer the costume? I'm going to do some digging to try to set something up.
  • Options
    sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Did anyone reverse-engineer the costume? I'm going to do some digging to try to set something up.

All I have are these screenshots: http://s279.photobucket.com/user/MDKII/slideshow/Crimson%20Bolt
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The costume requires the New Millennium Tights set to reproduce. Something I can't do at this point in time.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have a demo record we can use for extraction of costume if needed.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Agreed, and I particularly love the idea of the charater being used for a tutorial or social purpose like the action figure Sekimen mentioned, since Caine was always helping with guides/teaching or getting groups together.
  • Options
    soryu1983soryu1983 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm in agreement with Smackwell. Put a statue of him in the rencen, with a plaque or something on it. Also for making his costume the default look of the tempest. Anyway, signed.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Switch Socrates to Crimson Bolt. Our own Oracle (from DC) to keep tabs on us. :cool:

But yea, something should be done.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes, a hall, real personalities, must be done, updates be damned for that very moment.

• Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    pion01 wrote: »
    Agreed, and I particularly love the idea of the charater being used for a tutorial or social purpose like the action figure Sekimen mentioned, since Caine was always helping with guides/teaching or getting groups together.

Tutorial appearance?
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2013

..Agreed..

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We don't need to remove an existing statue, but a statue and a readable plaque in Ren Cen would be fitting.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Agreed and /signed
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    agreed and /signed
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    purg777purg777 Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    agreed and /signed
  • Options
    helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Clearly, many of you remember Angel differently than I did. Certainly, he was popular with many forumites, but how many players outside of the forums knew him?

I would suggest if you wish to honor him, restrict it to the community that knew him best. Have your in-game service. Place remembrances in your sigs. Rename his clique channel after him. Put his name on his noteworthy threads and guides I keep hearing about and sticky them.

This talk of statues, plaques, AF's, and NPC's is getting ridiculous. If the forumites and Cryptic want to establish an in-game tribute to someone(s) for the player population as a whole to appreciate, they should make one to any and all sevicemembers, firefighters, and law enforcement officers who have played this game and died in the line of duty. That would be tribute worthy.
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I can agree but what about the rest of us?

Are there not other people who also deserve to be immortalized?

Just considering the long-term implications of such an act...

helbjorn wrote: »
    Clearly, many of you remember Angel differently than I did. Certainly, he was popular with many forumites, but how many players outside of the forums knew him?

I would suggest if you wish to honor him, restrict it to the community that knew him best. Have your in-game service. Place remembrances in your sigs. Rename his clique channel after him. Put his name on his noteworthy threads and guides I keep hearing about and sticky them.

This talk of statues, plaques, AF's, and NPC's is getting ridiculous. If the forumites and Cryptic want to establish an in-game tribute to someone(s) for the player population as a whole to appreciate, they should make one to any and all sevicemembers, firefighters, and law enforcement officers who have played this game and died in the line of duty. That would be tribute worthy.

I'm inclined to agree. My special honor for him was to:
    A) keep the Altaholic thread going after he disappeared
    B) after I read what happened to him, I added a dedication in writing to that topic.

What I mean by long term implications is who'd be next?

Caliga? Shev? Nepht? FlyingFinn? Vizzone (Lee Tosi)? Cloudsatdawn? Bluhman? Monaahiru? Xeno? Etc, etc.

See what I mean? It opens a door to subjective issues... one that can cause all sorts of problems
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    EDIT: On second thought I'm gonna nip myself in the bud here.
  • Options
    prootwaddleprootwaddle Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    /signed

However if the devs feel that they should have something smaller, and simpler to construct, how about a memorial bench that you could click on to read the inscription or a clickable plaque by a tree?

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • Options
    iamroxstariamroxstar Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Actually, back when they put Roxstar ingame I talked with the devs and they acted like they wanted to put more more of us in the game...if nothing more than at least as Action Figures.

Caine has been here since the beginning and put a lot of effort and time into the game. Just because those who served and passed in our militaries and police forces, etc may have played doesn't mean they put forth the effort into the community that Caine did.

ShuckCreations.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    meredyredleafmeredyredleaf Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I don't know what way would be more fitting (NPC, simple costume swap on a character, statue, mini,...) But I feel something should be done, anything, to honor his memory.

He was one of the most patient posters here and he helped people as stubborn as me to shut up a little quietly and without fuss.

Please, Cryptic, show us that you (still?) care a little about the person behind the keyboard, and give the community a tangible way to remember that awesome player by.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    What I mean by long term implications is who'd be next?

Caliga? Shev? Nepht? FlyingFinn? Vizzone (Lee Tosi)? Cloudsatdawn? Bluhman? Monaahiru? Xeno? Etc, etc.

See what I mean? It opens a door to subjective issues... one that can cause all sorts of problems

I hope none of the mentioned names.
    It's not like Caine came and demanded something....

And it's up to Cryptic to do what they seem fitting. Were just throwing ideas.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Immortalize flyingfinn.
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    iamroxstar wrote: »
    Actually, back when they put Roxstar ingame I talked with the devs and they acted like they wanted to put more more of us in the game...if nothing more than at least as Action Figures.

Caine has been here since the beginning and put a lot of effort and time into the game. Just because those who served and passed in our militaries and police forces, etc may have played doesn't mean they put forth the effort into the community that Caine did.

Ok... So how do you quantify the quality of effort and positive impact needed to make the list?

Shouldn't that mean that Lohr should get immortalized too for the wiki project? Or how about Kyle Sherman (@Brizel ; better known as the creator of this often used web-based tool: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/ )? Or even Flare/FortuneFire for all the costume contests he's hosted?

Are they not worthy enough to have a statue of in the RenCen too for all the effort they've put in? Effort that has greatly helped so many in the community!

I'm not saying don't do this, if Cryptic wants to, they should and it's a good thing.

I'm saying y'all need to pause to consider what the long-term implications are, both positive and negative. If those implications are worth it, then go for it. There are many MANY players in this community who have contributed hugely in a positive way, even more than what 'Caine did.

Am I getting my point across? I'm just trying to caution a bit, overall I support this and I'd support a statue or whatever for Lohr and Kyle as well.
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Loren's friendship and commitment to this community is a quality
    you can not capture in a single virtual model or two dimensional pixel art.

The man was an altaholic, continue to carry his spirit.
    Try to be the Champion this community needs.
  • Options
    takodatentakodaten Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If anything, I vote one of his characters take over as one of the trainers in the Powerhouse. He helped a lot of people by explaining important game and power mechanics in ways anyone could understand. That sounds like a fitting trainer, to me.

So, I vote either replace the model/name of one of the Powerhouse trainers, or erect a statue in the center, or in one of the corners of the Powerhouse.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    eastgatewidoweastgatewidow Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I personally think 'Caine would appreciate Angel of Caine's statue being 'in-theme' and in Vibora Bay, perhaps in or near the Cemetary or Vampire Mansion and neighbourhood seeing as though;

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3123671&postcount=127
    (see bio part of post and his character's theme-tune).

Perhaps clicking on that plaque could bring up a mention of his bio if only a small part of it. Just a thought.

Dropping my knitting to buff you whilst hitting - Proudly protecting Millennium City's little ones since 2009.

@Mothers_Love
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    Shouldn't that mean that Lohr should get immortalized too for the wiki project? Or how about Kyle Sherman (@Brizel ; better known as the creator of this often used web-based tool: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/ )? Or even Flare/FortuneFire for all the costume contests he's hosted?
    It's my sincere hope none of them need to be immortalized any time soon. We want to honor Loren not just because he was such a big part of the game, but because he played this game with us until he was no longer able.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"