test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Secret Identities and Day Jobs

dataweaver42dataweaver42 Posts: 166 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Suggestions Box
Two issues that I'd like to see resolved, and a possible way to resolve both at once:

First, I want secret identities to play a bigger role in the game: an optional role (not everyone has a secret identity), but a role nonetheless. Specifically, I want them to have some sort of benefit that would entice non-RPers to bother with them.

Second, I want something like the old-style Research&Development Crafting system brought back.

Possible solution: introduce a "Day Job" system that is essentially a reimagined version of the old R&D system. The Skills involved would tend to be broadly defined and generally more mundane than their former counterparts (e.g., more along the lines of "Business", "Labor", "Analyst", "Entertainer", etc. as opposed to the former system of "Fighting Styles", "Alien Metabolism", "Ordnance", "Inventions", "Mutations", "Exposures", "Arcana", "Avatars", and "Enchanted Gear"), but would generally be used in a manner similar to old-style R&D: you would gather appropriate Components, bring them to your "place of business", and use them to create appropriate Upgrades, Mods, Devices, Mission-granting Items, etc. (i.e., pretty much anything that can end up in your Inventory) which you can then equip or sell as you see fit. (One possible use of this would be to craft Nemesis Clues for yourself, instead of having to wait six hours and then provoke the Minions into ambushing you.)

This would be used to complement the Mods and Fusion system, not to replace it: you'd still be slotting Mods into Upgrades or Devices and/or Fusing low-level Mods in order to produce higher-level Mods; in fact, Components would act a lot like Mods, with one-to-nine ranks and the ability to Fuse low-level Components in order to produce higher-level Components; it's just that instead of slotting them into an Upgrade or Device, you'd pull up a Blueprint that you'd use via the Mod tool to create an Item.

I'd tend to go with a relatively small list of Components, comparable in length to the list of available Mods and differing more often in terms of "required rank" (Developing purple items would generally require purple components) than in "type of component": the huge network of "trash components" that the old crafting system would be compressed to a (hopefully more managable) shorter list of components.

You would be able (but not required) to acquire a "Secret Identity Build" that works just like other builds (probably as early as level 6), with the following differences:
  1. While using this build, the Build's name is substituted for your name whenever the system displays who you are (the HUD, Chat, Supergroup Roster, Find a Player, etc.). That way, you can register as "Kent Clark" when in your Secret Identity and "Uberman" otherwise.
  2. Switching to this build is a bit like toggling on a Become Device: your power tray gets replaced by something more reminiscent of the "powers" you have in Resistance when you're disguised as a prisoner. It's possible that the substituted powers might vary depending on your choice of Day Job; but for the most part, these are powers that you only use when you have to (such as a mission requiring you to remain in your Secret Identity). This is not a build that you generally use when you're out in the dangerous parts of the world; not if you can avoid it.
  3. When using this build, your R&D gains a significant boost in effectiveness; and/or you gain the ability to conduct R&D wherever you are instead of having to go to a crafting site. Again though, be sure that you're in a reasonably safe location before switching into your Secret Identity.
  4. When using this build, NPCs tend to leave you alone: mobs generally don't attack, and friendly NPCs don't walk up and congradulate you for various Lore Perks you've completed. This isn't always true; but it's true enough that you can generally use your secret identity to resolve missions of a "use a disguise" nature.

Acquiring a Secret Identity would also unlock a set of "Secret Identity Missions" that would be resolved in a manner similar to Nemesis Missions, but which would feature your secret identity in some way. (I would tend to take a cue from STO's Diplomatic Missions when conceiving these, in that they should tend more toward puzzle-solving missions rather than fighting missions -- though there would be exceptions). If you also have the Nemesis System unlocked, you might occasionally acquire missions that are both Nemesis and Secret Identity Missions.
Post edited by dataweaver42 on

Comments

• Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It is beyond me why they threw away ALL of crafting from the game, but I'm sure they won't turn around and bring it back a year (or more likely two) later. :frown:
  • Options
    alodylisalodylis Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They removed the idea of secret identity along time ago it was a original concept. They can't make this game better because its foundation needs to be replaced. Just wait a year or two there will be a new hero game that. Becomes best mmo.
  • Options
    lunaw78lunaw78 Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    alodylis= nother hater! CO is the best hero MMO on the market and I doubt other hero MMOs will come and detronate it! If you don`t like it don`t play it! ok?
    dataweaver42 I like you`re ideea with the secret identity become and the old crafting system renewed but the ideea of crafting Nemesis clues??? wtf is that? then why u need nemesis minions? that is simply stupid and nonsense! ok let`s say u can "craft" an Nemesis clue but how you gonna know wich plans have you`re nemesis if you craft that mission item? By opening it? I don`t think so! the crafted items are devices/costumes not mission items! you can`t know what plans have your nemesis if u craft the nemesis clue! the only ones that know the plans of your nemesis are ONLY the minions of that nemesis NOT YOU!
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Something like this will take resources that would have to match the kind that was put into making the Nemesis system. We'd all rather see that effort into fixing the game's half finished content (everything) or the Foundry so we can use those ideas to emulate something like alternate identity content.
  • Options
    battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Fining the Nemesis system and putting in some kind of Secret Identity option would help the game feel more super-hero.
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • Options
    laylashadelaylashade Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Personally, I'd like to see R&D back. Sure, it wasn't good, but at least it was something. I haven't been back that long but I'm already tired of Fusion and Mods, which feels even more like a pointless grind thing than the old crafting (where some of the things we could work toward at least felt cool - not that I ever got to any of the L40 costume unlocks).
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just read the original post....brilliant! Well thought out and explained.
    A real superhero game should have a version of this.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lunaw78 wrote: »
    alodylis= nother hater! CO is the best hero MMO on the market and I doubt other hero MMOs will come and detronate it!

Saying CO is the best superhero MMO on the market is like saying that you're the smartest guy in your class of only two students, and the other guy communicates through fart noises and ear-wiggles.
  • Options
    ninten92ninten92 Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lunaw78 wrote: »
    alodylis= nother hater! CO is the best hero MMO on the market and I doubt other hero MMOs will come and detronate it! If you don`t like it don`t play it! ok?
    dataweaver42 I like you`re ideea with the secret identity become and the old crafting system renewed but the ideea of crafting Nemesis clues??? wtf is that? then why u need nemesis minions? that is simply stupid and nonsense! ok let`s say u can "craft" an Nemesis clue but how you gonna know wich plans have you`re nemesis if you craft that mission item? By opening it? I don`t think so! the crafted items are devices/costumes not mission items! you can`t know what plans have your nemesis if u craft the nemesis clue! the only ones that know the plans of your nemesis are ONLY the minions of that nemesis NOT YOU!

W-what...?

Anyways, I like this idea! Hopefully they implement it someday!
    Just another average RPer, costume part collector, and tabletop gamer.

Looking for a lore-based Superhero RPSG? Why not http://earth-guard.shivtr.com/
    ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]