test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Regarding AngelOfCaine's disappearance

Comments

• amontillado1amontillado1 Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Always very sad news. Condolences to friends and family and peace to Caine.
  • floydrosefloydrose Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This breaks my heart. I haven't been active for a couple years, but at the start he and i were in every conversation, sometimes as support, sometimes in contrast - but always as friends. He seemed so vibrant, this makes me so sad.

A. O. C., I'll see you on the other side someday, and think of you fondly til then.

-speedknob
    My eyes are small but they have seen the beauty of enormous things.
  • supercollider75supercollider75 Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've been scouring threads and such for pics of his main and I've not found any particularly good ones for getting an art commission so far but I think it's important to share what I have found.

2nd Anniversary Pictures: http://champions-online.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=1412&page=1#15907
    He's got two replies with picture links in that thread, his photobucket account is marked private so we can't go digging around there.

And this from the Penthouse Hideout picture competition when he won the title "mile high club"
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/ANIMATED/Misc/COPenthousePartyShot-Thread-Contest1-3.gif
    thank you for posting this ken, and i hope he makes it.

My build directory (work in progress)
    Guide list
    Freeform Builds

In loving memory of AngelofCaine.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Reality be damned. I hope I'm not alone in wishing for a heroic comeback.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • heavynosferatuheavynosferatu Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Reality be damned. I hope I'm not alone in wishing for a heroic comeback.

Amen! My thoughts and prayers to Caine and Family.
    Devil and the deep blue sea behind me
    Vanish in the air you'll never find me
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Would those of you who are doing so please stop talking about the man in the past tense. He's not dead, and if he ever becomes well enough to peruse the forums, that's the last thing he'll want to see.

Having said that, it would seem the "tribute" talk is bit premature. None of us knows the future, though some of us may know the odds.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I didn't know him in RL, only from the forums, but AngelOfCaine was always helpful and willing to lend his knowledge. I got to play with him one night, in-game during a contest last year leveling characters. It was fun.

God Bless you and your Family Caine. Whatever your journeys take you, in this world or the next, I hope the best for you.

And as always, vaya con nachoes.

:frown:
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've updated the OP with more information on Angel's status. I'll be alerting his wife to this thread if perhaps she wants to share some of our thoughts/prayers with him.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for updating us.

Here's hoping again he pulls through.
    biffsig.jpg
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    His main is a few pics into his public bucket.
  • louisfrienddrn#8375 louisfrienddrn Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Even though you're not logged in, it's like you're really here.
    We'll be here for your return, there is no need to fear.

Until that time just rest, and heal, but please come back real soon.
    We will all be waiting here morning, night, and noon.

Heroes never fail, champions do not fall.
    Even though you're absent, it's not like you're gone at all.

We all know you will be back, your condition it will pass.
    To fly your colors once again and kick some villain ****.

We will keep the city safe, from all unsavory deeds.
    Focus on your resting, and your healing needs.

Just like our setting sun as it's fleeing from the moon.
    You will rise tomorrow, from all your brothers, get well soon.
    "I have never questioned the orders or the intelligence of any representative of the Federation. Until now." - James T. Kirk
  • skyranger01skyranger01 Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Kenpo, thanks for bringing us the news, even though it's so hard to hear. My best wishes to Caine and his family, along with those of the Champions community as a whole.
  • angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi,

I'm not sure if I did this correctly because I havent used these forums before. Kenpo sent me this link and told me of your well wishing and requests.

For anyone who wants to keep updated my facebook name is Jennifer Trevers. Angel of Caine is Loren Trevers, but I don't check his facebook often so it is best to talk to me via my facebook.

Any emails or anything that can be sent via email (artwork etc) should be sent to my email saraturtle@hotmail.com.

For our address and phone number I am going to ask you to request that on facebook via PM and the reason for wanting it. You can't be too careful you know.

I will make sure he knows all of you are wishing him well. If he has a lucid moment Ill have him read some of the posts on this thread.

As for pictures of his characters I can log on to Champions at a request that is sent via facebook PM. I will ask for patience in using the program though.

Please be as considerate as Kenpo when sharing facebook info. If anyone needs any contact info other than Loren Trevers or Jennifer Trevers via facebook please have them PM me for it.

Thank you all.
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • sagewithbubblessagewithbubbles Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Angel of Caine's a great guy, and I'm saddened to hear this. I wish peace upon you and your family, Mrs. Caine.

If we're doing a community collection (for artwork commission or otherwise), I'll gladly chip in.

Caine recruited me into Forumites (which has become my main chat home when I'm on CO), and always seemed happy to see me when I logged on. He brightened my day many a time, so here's hoping our well wishes can do the same for him.

The user formerly known as Dr. Sage.

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
    edited April 2013
    I have logged onto champions and will be on champions for the next 20 mins. A friend request would probably be best as that way you can be sure to get any updates. However it is entirely up to you.
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i-has-a-sad.jpg

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    'Caine's good people.

Cancer sucks.

Not much else I can say, really. We're with you from a distance, Loren and Jennifer.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Did he play Crimson Bolt on CoH, as well, cuz that name sounds really familiar, but I know it's not from CO.

• reinweibritterreinweibritter Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    atring wrote: »
    Did he play Crimson Bolt on CoH, as well, cuz that name sounds really familiar, but I know it's not from CO.

It's the name of the main character in the movie Super, maybe that's where you heard it?
  • thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just had a thought. When the end comes and we've been informed, I'd like to get everybody to gather at the Champs HQ on 1 and we get seven people that have sniper rifles and we give AngelofCaine a 21 Gun Salute. If nothing else it'll be a players' memorial.
  • stmothstmoth Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    While it's a good thought, don't wanna make any plans like that yet. I'm hoping and praying he'll be okay, you never know.
  • atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's the name of the main character in the movie Super, maybe that's where you heard it?

I've not, but you're right. Thanks. :smile:

edited April 2013
    Some more pics from AngelofCaine's visit this afternoon. Here
  • typhonustyphonus Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've been seeing AngelOfCaine around the forums since beta time, and he's always been pretty level headed and reasonable.

I kinda thought he'd gone on to other games like some of the other older players, but never anything like this.

Godspeed Caine. You definitely made this a better place to be on the internet.

Here's hoping you'll be back.
    edited April 2013
    For anyone interested in knowing the significance of Loren's diagnosis, here is a trustworthy reference site:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000291.htm
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Praying for angel.
    edited April 2013
    Thought I'd check 1 last time today before heading to bed. AngelOfCaine was on COH but did change to CO when it came out.

He played Crimson Bolt on there too. Hope that answers that question.

I never played champions but I did play CoH as SupportGirl in case there are any CoH players out there. My main char was Jaella AKA "J"

AngelofCaine was AngelofCaine on CoH as well.

That link that is posted is good information for any who want to know. When he was diagnosed his liver and bile ducts were almost completely covered in tumors. The biggest one was 10 cm. Since then it has spread to his abdomen wall, lower spine, and right lung. It is inoperable because of its size and it has become immune to the chemotherapy he was on.

And as the website says, most of his pain is in the upper right abdomen and back. He does have yellowing of the skin and the whites of his eyes.
    Our biggest concern is his lack of appetite. Most days he doesnt eat anything and is losing weight rapidly. We can get him to drink a "Boost" occasionally but sometimes he refuses to do that.

He has cognitive issues as well, but we think that is because of the medication he is on.
    edited April 2013
    Has his oncologist considered Megace? It's an oral appetite stimulant often helpful in such cases. Otherwise there is unfortunately not much you can do about his intake other than a feeding tube, the use of which is controversial in hospice patients.
  • vikaernesvikaernes Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    A close knit gaming community is, no matter how dysfunctional at times, still a family of sorts. My heart goes out to Loren, and his family, and to all of you here.
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    vikaernes wrote: »
    A close knit gaming community is, no matter how dysfunctional at times, still a family of sorts. My heart goes out to Loren, and his family, and to all of you here.

True that.

Also, added a dedication at the top of the Altaholic list. Hopefully 'Cain gets to see it. :smile:

(see my signature for a direct link, as usual)
    edited April 2013
    Thanks again Jen. You're a real trooper.

SupportGirl, indeed.
    There is a City of Heroes chat channel. If you log in again you should find it
    in the list under that chat arrow as "CoX", maybe you'll find some old friends.

Keep shining.
  • skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wow... i only just saw this thread now, i remember seeing some of his posts, sad to hear this news, about anyone but he seemed like the kind of person you could get along with quite well which makes it sadder even more =\
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    skcark wrote: »
    Wow... i only just saw this thread now, i remember seeing some of his posts, sad to hear this news, about anyone but he seemed like the kind of person you could get along with quite well which makes it sadder even more =\

Indeed , in forum of "no yew" and "shut up cause your mom" Angel of Caine is one of the few voices of sensibility around here.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I may not really know the person in question very well, but I still feel very sorry for what had happened and you do have my condolences.
  • siralleynesiralleyne Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've generally lurked these forums from the get go, and I always liked his posts despite never getting the chance to meet him.

Condolences to his friends and family.
  • megaspaceplayerxmegaspaceplayerx Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm another one of those forum lurkers that doesn't usully say much, and I dont have much original to say here..but it probaly won't hurt if this is repeated a lot. Never really got a chance to him in person or in game even, but AngelOfCain is one of the few around here I respected and liked just from his posts here. He is missed.

Feeling that 'special kinda of suck' hearing whats happening.
    Expect te worst, hope for the best, and don't give up (its just not heroic).
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________
    @X-Hero Game Overed.
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Fought you for quite some time on the forums.

Go easy Brother.
  • malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's terrible news.

God speed.
  • cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So sorry to hear about this.
    Hope it's not to crass, but I thought I would do an homage character called 'The Poet' based on Caine's Avatar.

AoC1.png

With Aethyric Flight active.
    AoC2.png

Hopefully he'll challenge me in game for doing such a horrid job.

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
    edited April 2013
    Im sure the poet will be an awesome char. Loren is sleeping right now but if he gets up ill have him look
  • isometryisometry Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Caine and I first started talking on the forums, back near the launch of the game, and later we worked together on building crafted travel powers. He made a lot of great characters, with an attention to detail from their names, to costumes, to powers. I remember hanging out sometimes in the power house, and giving feedback while he tried all kinds of FX to get just the right look.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. He was a leader in our community, and always a kind and fun guy. I wish him as much comfort as possible.
  • floydrosefloydrose Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I got together with my band this morning, and we prayed for everyone involved.

Angel, you and your wife have a lot of people in your corner.

I re-read my previous post, and kicked myself for my short memory. I remember a time when my brother was very, very sick. He had a very rare infection in his lungs, that no one had survived. We had a chance to say our goodbyes before he went into a coma, and it was very difficult. We were told that the coma would last months and no one had ever come out of it. Less than a week later he woke up, making medical history. I pray that this is another time when a new mark is put in the books. Whatever the outcome, I pray for peace and understanding through a difficult time.

-speedknob
    My eyes are small but they have seen the beauty of enormous things.
  • kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Such heart breaking news.

My sincerest sympathies to Caine, and all his friends and family.

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

Everyone else I challenge to put your money where your fingers are, let's end this before more loved ones are lost.

http://www.cancer.org/

Do it now. :frown:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • voyagersixvoyagersix Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I never know how to react to this kind of news other than by saying things I'd have to ban myself for. My thoughts go out to Caine and his family. Never stop believing that things can get better.

Unfortunately, hospice care means there is no chance getting better. All that's left is making the patient comfortable until the end. My sympathy for him and my admiration for his wife's strength in their heartbreaking situation.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wings up, AngelOfCaine. Wings up!
    ZedBlock-200.jpg