test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Making of the Lemurian Invasion

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited March 2013 in Super News Network
An invasion force like the Lemurians doesn't come out of nowhere: Planning and building the story arc took the Champions team plenty of time and effort. Read this Making Of blog as Lord Gar takes you behind the scenes to look at development and tease what's coming soon!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    "Our next arc, which will involve gladiatorial combat, will focus on your character. (More news on that soon!)"

Well, looks like Mentella better start taking combat classes! Swing those Psychic Suppression Units in that bad guys face! Its a pity nothing was even hinted at even auras wise...

That leaves me thinking that perhaps Auras are planned for Summer time release at best with Telepathy straggling behind in Winter..when development will likely slow down again..and...:frown:

ON THE PLUS SIDE, nice to hear another arc is comming soon...I'm guessing by that gladiatorial combat notion, IronClad and his home planet may be involved to some extent in it.

I cannot wait to see his SURRENDERVILLAINSSURRENDERVILLAINSSURRENDERVILLAINS finishing attack :tongue:
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Nice to see this stuff!

*waves to lord gar*
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Intriguing note, in combination with the pic of the book that was open under the bacon jerky...

I tried to leave a note on the blog post, as it invited me to. Why are you invited to leave a comment on the blog, when comments are closed? Seems a tad misleading to me. In any case, please pass on to LordGar that all the detail work on the Harbinger, while appreciated, was lost on most of the audience, as the hit box was calculated from the center rather than the skin. Had to get right up against it even with my Hawkwing before I could hit!
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Does this involve the Forum Malvanum under the bag of bacon jerky?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    lordgarlordgar Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm guessing by that gladiatorial combat notion, IronClad and his home planet may be involved to some extent in it.

I can categorically say that the next arc has nothing to do with Dorvala, the home world of Ironclad.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Any plans to clean up the discomfort that comes from playing the vehicles in anything other than MMO controls mode?

If Vehicles are here to stay, making them less nauseating to fly for Action Control scheme users would be great.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hmm. My Malvan sense is tingling...
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    lordgar wrote: »
    I can categorically say that the next arc has nothing to do with Dorvala, the home world of Ironclad.
    What an - intriguingly specific denial. :wink:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hmm. My Malvan sense is tingling...

I was thinking the same thing - Ironclad is *from* Dorvala, but wasn't he given the metal skin and forced to compete in the games on Malva?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    duratokgorehowlduratokgorehowl Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Gladiatorial combat, you say?

duratok_arena_fight_by_taclobanon-d4sshsp.jpg
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ohhh, zBrush and 3DSMax. Interesting...

Are all models made in those two? Or do you use some other things like Maya too?

Is there any other programs you use? (Totally not a junior wonnabe modeller here.)

Also, cool screens and writing. Always like the walk through stuff.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    duratokgorehowlduratokgorehowl Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing - Ironclad is *from* Dorvala, but wasn't he given the metal skin and forced to compete in the games on Malva?

Neither actually. He was given his metal skin in a staged accident on his homeworld and fled to Malva. He needed money, and it was clear that he'd be perfect for the arenas, so he became a gladiator.
  • Options
    crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Does this mean that they'll be rehashing the unlocks removed from The Nemesis Confrontation as rewards for this event? I would, personally, hope they would just put those unlocks back into NC and make some new stuff for this event. Just wanted to try and nip that one in the bud as soon as possible. :cool:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    That final mission could be an alert, event, or a persistent mission instance.

To the Moon, Norton (Anti-virus). TO THE MOON!

:eek:

Nah.

:smile:
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well the future's the part that I found most intriguing.

Shame that all you telepathy users will be either relegated to the sidelines or using a myriad of useless powers during these events that encounter any supervillan.
  • Options
    polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    Shame that all you telepathy users will be either relegated to the sidelines or using a myriad of useless powers during these events that encounter any supervillan.

But on the bright side, my character is going to be super powerful and awesome.
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    But on the bright side, my character is going to be super powerful and awesome.

Literal lol.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You may have noticed that this was the second super-sized villain to be released in a short period of time; the Giant Mecha Toy Soldiers in the Winter Event were also pretty large (although nowhere near as big as the Bleak Harbinger.) This lead to some interesting gameplay issues during development. The sheer size of it meant that in an early test version the Kraken would go out of combat if you flew up to its head because you were 'out of range' of its origin point (at the feet) even though you were right next to it.

We?re going to go back to normal-sized villains for the next few updates!

Good, because powers like Conflag, Lightning Storm, and Avalanche REQUIRE you to be within 50ft of the mob's origin point (now I have a new term to use when I talk about this bug - yay!).

So this kinda, you know, NEEDS to be fixed before you bring out more giant mobs. I was very quickly annoyed (to put it nicely) that I couldn't use my most powerful attack (Conflag) just because of a bug. Yay for tossing Fireballs until I fell asleep.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • Options
    crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well the future's the part that I found most intriguing.

Shame that all my telepathy toon will be either relegated to the sidelines or using a myriad of useless powers during these events that encounter any supervillan.

There, Repairwork completed. :biggrin:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeay, that's more like it. Thanks for posting this. :3 It's good to hear what the gameplan is.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lordgar wrote: »

"But Ironclad has run up against them before...and can give us some useful intel" - Justiciar

*giggles*

These psychic supression units are powerful, but I'm certain if I focus hard enough I can read your minds!:biggrin:

It's clearly obvious it is Roin'esh who fake a distress signal and a group of heroes go up and get teleported to an alien arena...:biggrin:

I jest, but whatever it is you guys are doing...I am getting the feeling melee players are going to get some love for this new arc.

Mentella my Telepath is defo going to be signing up to the gym, pumping those muscles in her Psychic Supression Units, and before you know it she'll be as strong as The Hulk!!
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thank you.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    crosschan wrote: »
    There, Repairwork completed. :biggrin:

I dont have a toon so suck it.

Anything i suggest is not for my benefit. I quit the game
  • Options
    embracemyswordembracemysword Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Spartacus - bringer of rain, slayer of Theocoles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    We also heard some whispered rumors (translation: 16 page feedback thread) that sidekicking to 30 wasn?t a very satisfying experience.

BAHAHA Glad to see you're taking that with a sense of humor. I say because you guys are awesome and listened to our feedback.

This was cool, you should do more of em. I worked with 3ds for a while, did models for the sims and such, and some mmo work. Neat to find out y'all use the same tools I did.

Thanks for this, the extra communication is very appreciated.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited March 2013

Then why are you still here, Jay?

After my divorce, I didn't keep calling my ex to see if she had gotten any better as a human being...

• Options
    edited March 2013
    I love champions.. and thusly hate champions online.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The key words here are "persistence mission instance".
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I love champions.. and thusly hate champions online.
    So, in effect, you are still calling your ex?

Move on, man. This dwelling on past relationships just isn't healthy.

• Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sounds like a blast. Focusing on the character?

I'll go on record saying that I don't mind vehicle content as long as they dedicate more to the character content.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    So, in effect, you are still calling your ex?

Move on, man. This dwelling on past relationships just isn't healthy.

Why don't you shut up telling people what they should do.
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I see you left out your #ironichashtag this time. Good call.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    captactionmk2captactionmk2 Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Then why are you still here, Jay?

After my divorce, I didn't keep calling my ex to see if she had gotten any better as a human being...

That's very zen philosophy. =) Cool.
  • Options
    captactionmk2captactionmk2 Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Pot. Kettle. Black. Irony.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Not instructing, just offering advice. I suppose you could keep hanging around here stirring up your own bile; I think you've made it plain already that you're the only person you are affecting with your posts. I just think you'd feel better if, having given up on the game, you'd just cut ties and move on with your life, instead of dwelling on what might have been. Living in the past only works if you're a historian.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Well thank you for your unsolicited internet wisdom *EYEROLL*

Waaaahhh!! I'm unpopular on an internet forum. I should totally stop having an opinion
  • Options
    vikaernesvikaernes Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I haven't had a lot of positive things to say in awhile. But bravo Lord Gar. More communication like this is going to go a long way towards getting people excited about this game again.
  • Options
    dynamechdynamech Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I'll go on record saying that I don't mind vehicle content as long as they dedicate more to the character content.

This sums up my feelings. It's nice to hear about content not being balanced toward vehicles, but rather toward characters. Please give us more character-focused additions, stories, and improvements.

Thank you for sharing this with us :smile:
  • Options
    blueionstormzblueionstormz Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    "The making of.." blog was a good read. Thanks for making this epic event. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Appreciate blogs like this. :smile:
    "Reason can get you to probability, but only commitment can get you to certainty." - Timothy Keller
    Archived CO Wiki site
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited March 2013

So true. Let us not forget that Batman is the hero and the Bat-wing is just a utility device.

A device does make one a hero: Character makes one a hero.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Wow, channeling that last guy are we?
    If you quit the game move on and leave the people who still, enjoy it alone.

Oh by the way Jon, only bad historians live in the past.
    Good ones take the lessons of the past and apply them to current events.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • Options
    lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Great read! Thank you for sharing, Tom.

This is the kind of interaction we (CO) need more of.

Thanks again :smile:
  • Options
    c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for listening. The final version of the event is excellent and whilst not perfect, I really enjoy it. Making the hit box of the Harbringer bigger would be an easy fix and whilst I have made other suggestions elsewhere, this would be a simple fix for when it rotates back.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    hocofaisan wrote: »
    Wow, channeling that last guy are we?
    If you quit the game move on and leave the people who still, enjoy it alone.
    ^ What that guy said
  • Options
    syphervsypherv Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is amazing news, even though it is slow progress, i am happy with the recent communication, i appreciate the work from the dev team :)

The internetz is one crazy place! tread carefully!
  • Options
    superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Cool stuff.

And it seems the additional info on future content is there to soothe the wounds left by the recent Ask Cryptic :D

Back on topic, this story arc was quite cool, but the first mission after Julie Morgan would have been better by adding an instanced area at the end... something like track one Lemurian courier to the hidded operation base. Like the missions from the Nighthawk event. Also a cutscene in the Unitl vault with one lemurian taking the idol away just before the player enters would have improved the flow of the events.

• Options
    tongi02tongi02 Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Cool stuff.

And it seems the additional info on future content is there to soothe the wounds left by the recent Ask Cryptic :D

Back on topic, this story arc was quite cool, but the first mission after Julie Morgan would have been better by adding an instanced area at the end... something like track one Lemurian courier to the hidded operation base. Like the missions from the Nighthawk event. Also a cutscene in the Unitl vault with one lemurian taking the idol away just before the player enters would have improved the flow of the events.

I would have to again on that point indeed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Always move forward, even if it's one step at a time..
  • Options
    cascadencecascadence Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hmmm.... seems they are going to continue the storyline of Whiteout.

I mean in my head it makes perfect sense... at the end of Whiteout, we are supposed to be prisoners to be delivered to "someone", though things didn't work as intended. So... I am guessing these clients were the Malvans... likely they made a deal of "superheroes for our entertainment in exchange for the Roin'esh freedoom" something like that. And by the looks of it... seems someone is successful into capturing/tricking us into getting to Malva.

Hey! it makes sense in my head =p. You cryptic teasers..... can't wait lol.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click up there if you want to find more about the costumes behind my heroines.
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Let me just say that...

I LOVE THIS!

Yes yes more blogging about the design process! Let the customers connect with what's going on!

The Lemurian invasion as a whole, I feel was as well designed as Blood Moon. And that's a good thing.

That said, it doesn't have that "spirit of adventure" you get with an open zone or story content like a Comic Series / Adventure Pack.