test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bleak Harbinger Mission Preview

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited February 2013 in Super News Network
Heroes, the Lemurian invasion mega-event is reaching its climax. On Thursday, we plan to release a new 10-man battle? with a chance at winning a Lemurian tank.

Read the blog post!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This looks interesting, and I'd be really anxious to see if we get to fight a giant monster in the city limits, (or perhaps just off-shore). I'm hoping that the vehicle isn't bind on pickup, and that there is at least a little diversity inasmuch as they drop in a few colors or such.

Anyway, new content is very welcome at this point!
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    duratokgorehowlduratokgorehowl Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't see anything about costume unlocks. Will we not be seeing those?
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So the Kraken is a rampage alert. Awwww I was hoping for something along the lines of Mega D :I
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I was worried the Harbinger was going to replace Gravitar. Good to see we can play both!
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Some questions regarding the linked notes:

The notes say that we will be able to use an UNTIL flying disk loaner. Will such be necessary for characters without an innate ability to fly ?

Is there any possibility of providing non vehicle related rewards for those without interest in vehicles ?

Will there be a variant of this content available for play at level 40 ?

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just tested it. I don't wanna spoil it too much, but I will say this.

I enjoyed it, and it was very fun. And I'm hoping they continue to release content like this.:biggrin:
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well, TT- this is good so far. I'm pleased with what I hear.

Now, I kindly would like to request a departure from vehicles and a move towards costumes, travel powers, and other powers as well as some bug fixes.
  • Options
    lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    whoa! Whoa! WHOA!

An ACTUAL DROP RATE LISTED! A high one at that! (oh PLEASE say these will not be bind on pick-up)

Keep that up guys. Yeah, I like that...
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,066 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm liking the Wasp from the C-Store..prompts me to work on my Wasp themed char xD.

Having played the instance, it has some really really good points and some things which need to be worked on but it is a well done, much better than Sky Command, in terms of ease of access for majority of mission.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Some questions regarding the linked notes:

The notes say that we will be able to use an UNTIL flying disk loaner. Will such be necessary for characters without an innate ability to fly ?

Is there any possibility of providing non vehicle related rewards for those without interest in vehicles ?

Will there be a variant of this content available for play at level 40 ?

Yes. The boss fight requires you to slaughter a bunch of EXTREMELY fast moving fliers (forget Flight - you need the super-loaner disk or a vehicle) before you can do damage to it.

Not likely.

And you do play at level 40. The preview is incorrect. I was level 40 during it and all mobs were skull level.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mog555mog555 Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The wild eagle is so beautiful............ (Or it's just me that I like White and Back with yellow and blue)

The Mega Event also look kinda fun, got to try it
  • Options
    gaelyn1gaelyn1 Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The Wild Eagle and the Wasp will be available directly in the C-Store.
    (3 or 5 slots vehicules i assume)
    The Diamondback and Talon will be added to the Drifter Salvage exchange.
    (8 slots vehicules i assume)
    I bet 10$ on this. :rolleyes:

But anyways, there is new content after so much months without nothing.
    This is just an alert, sigh, but it's better than nothing.
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Free?

Did you say...Free?

I'm going to need to get a group for this. :tongue:
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    A free Lemurian Tank?

If it's anything like the Lemurian Power Armor become... it'll be bad. :(

lol i'm so ungrateful
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Heroes, the Lemurian invasion mega-event is reaching its climax. On Thursday, we plan to release a new 10-man battle, with a chance at winning a Lemurian tank.

Yay new stuff! Keep up the good work!

Using the Blood Moon "deadly" level system for automatic scaling to your level is very smart! Keep with that!

:smile:

(Are bug fixes to be included? Pet AI is broken again for the 4th time now)
    lokikin wrote: »
    whoa! Whoa! WHOA!

An ACTUAL DROP RATE LISTED! A high one at that! (oh PLEASE say these will not be bind on pick-up)

Keep that up guys. Yeah, I like that...

Ikr?! Wonderful!!!

Glad somebody over there is listening to reason and communicating drop rate data officially, FINALLY!

Much appreciated, even though many players will be too naive to fully understand the significance.
    ashensnow wrote: »

You know what?

As long as what ever drops is BoE (bind on equip, able to be traded) it DOES NOT matter. This criticism of yours would be a moot point.

Why?

Because just like with the vehicle lockboxes, I'm not using them so I can sell them to somebody else who would appreciate them. Find it a nice home with somebody who'll love it. :smile:

If I get a rare Lemurian tank, I'd like to be able to sell or trade it to somebody else who'll give me or allow me to purchase things I would like to have. That's the beauty and elogant wisdom of a free market.

Heck I might even do a contest, like how today I gave away (for free!) an END R7 mod on trade chat, and a Duratok Gorehowl sidekick device on coRP chat.

But this only happens if Cryptic ensures the loot is tradeable!

*looks over at TrailTurtle to see if he's understanding the importance of this*

Nobody has any call to complain if they can buy/sell/trade for what they want.
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    keikomyst wrote: »
    A free Lemurian Tank?

If it's anything like the Lemurian Power Armor become... it'll be bad. :(

lol i'm so ungrateful

The Lemurian Power Armor is based on magic while the vehicles are pure SCIENCE!.

Therefore it won't suck in comparison.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    gingervitosgingervitos Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You guys are all dumb a Lemurian Tank isnt a vehicle its something you keep pet fish in.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • Options
    cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    somebob wrote: »
    Yes. The boss fight requires you to slaughter a bunch of EXTREMELY fast moving fliers (forget Flight - you need the super-loaner disk or a vehicle) before you can do damage to it.

And it's this right here that has me wanting to avoid it all together.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • Options
    serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The Wild Eagle and the Wasp will be available directly in the C-Store.
    (3 or 5 slots vehicules i assume)
    The Diamondback and Talon will be added to the Drifter Salvage exchange.
    (8 slots vehicules i assume)
    I bet 10$ on this.

we already have the 8 slot drifter bike, the new additions will all be 3-5 slot like the 2 lower tanks in drifter store and tanks in c store
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The flyers aren't all that bad. I was able to catch up to them using rank 3 jet boots. All you have to do is cut their path, they do seem to have a certain pattern of flight path.

However as I may suspect, many players will complain about it, so it would be smart of them to adjust the speed.
  • Options
    menotrpamenotrpa Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Grav Bikes in the Z-Store

FINALLY!

• Options
    baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The most important question...

I don't care if the rewards are changed a little afterwards... but... Will you leave this event content permanently in game???

It would be a big waste to simply let the missions fade forever after a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited February 2013
    I hardly see any incentive for playing this event more than once (only to experience new content).
    It will end probably as empty as carrier defence is now.

And bikes in Z-Store? The can't be colored anyway, so are hardly interesting for me.

Also, no more vehicle content, please. It already failed. Leave this corpse alone.
  • Options
    voyagersixvoyagersix Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Stats describing these vehicles would be nice to include in an article attempting to get us interested in acquiring them.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,594 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The mission will always be in the queue menu right next to Until Carrier Defense. It will be content that is always in the game. There is no time limit and its like a Rampage except that it has some presentation and it isn't just go fight the boss. You have to complete some tasks and some tougher enemies with a kind of mini boss along the way.

However, what this mission needs is non vehicle rewards too. If it gets both vehicle and non vehicle rewards, players will want to play it many many times even after they get their fill. Rewards no less than blue gear with three custom slots. Everything else is literally vendor trash.
  • Options
    drreverenddrreverend Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You guys are all dumb a Lemurian Tank isnt a vehicle its something you keep pet fish in.

In my head, the Lemurian Tank looks like a glass fishbowl with tank treads, side mounted cannons, and a very angry looking goldfish floating inside. Possibly the Derpy Goldfish from the Mom's Basement Hideout.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The most important question...

I don't care if the rewards are changed a little afterwards... but... Will you leave this event content permanently in game???

It would be a big waste to simply let the missions fade forever after a couple of weeks.

That's my thought as well. Combine the event missions into an arc, or something repeatable. If need be, rejig the rewards on the permanent version. Or heck, leave them in so people can have a chance at getting a vehicle in-game.

Just seems like a lot of work to just throw it all down the drain like a dead goldfish by mid-March.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,594 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    drreverend wrote: »
    That's my thought as well. Combine the event missions into an arc, or something repeatable. If need be, rejig the rewards on the permanent version. Or heck, leave them in so people can have a chance at getting a vehicle in-game.

Just seems like a lot of work to just throw it all down the drain like a dead goldfish by mid-March.

If you read all previous posts in the thread and the article itself on the website you would know this content will always be in the game. Permanent. Permanent. Permanent.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    somebob wrote: »

Not likely.

And you do play at level 40. The preview is incorrect. I was level 40 during it and all mobs were skull level.

Thank you sir. The level 40 aspect is awesome !

agentnx5 wrote: »

As long as what ever drops is BoE (bind on equip, able to be traded) it DOES NOT matter. This criticism of yours would be a moot point.

I asked a question. Technically I made a request. I am not making a criticism.

agentnx5 wrote: »
    Nobody has any call to complain if they can buy/sell/trade for what they want.

Untrue.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    If you read all previous posts in the thread and the article itself on the website you would know this content will always be in the game. Permanent. Permanent. Permanent.

Define permanent. Permanent as in the event switch will be flipped again at some point, like Blood Moon, or Permanent as in we can run this whenever we want in six months? I hate events. They punish people who aren't tricked and geared out with 40s, or are busy that week.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How does an event punish people who aren't tricked out?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    grapemoussegrapemousse Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Since the time of availability is limited, everyone will want whatever is in there and in most events you get better rewards the more damage you do.

LIFETIMER since 23/01/2012 || Join Date: Sep 2009

Can be reached in-game as @PoochieHellhound

Support me on YouTube!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Almost nothing works that way now. In fact, only the open-world missions do.

Everything else gives rewards at random, equal chances to all. Been that way for past 9 months or so.
    For example, Halloween and Holiday events awarded items at random, not based on damage/healing/score.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    As others have said, this is doomed to failiure just like the carrier defence.

1) no worthwhile rewards for most people, just vehicle stuff
    2) no level restriction on something that needs it, lvl 6s CANNOT contribute enough in fights like this, boosting a characters lvl is NO SUBSTITUTE for the extra powers that actual lvl gives!

These 10 man alert like missions need to give decent rewards and be rampage alerts the same as gravitar.

They are the reasons noone bothered with carrier defence after a few days, and the reasons the same thing will happen with this one, making this use of the precious little dev time we have practically pointless!
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Because they tend to get slaughtered by the waves of enemies and bosses that aimed at level 30s or 40s. I found this during the Megadestroid event and the Nighthawk event. Your level 15 or 20 is about as useful as, well, a lowbie on an alert. My experience with the Nighthawk event was being batted around or one-shotted by enemies, and doing pitiful damage, and mostly dying a whole lot. Won the fight once... because some 40s jumped out of their planes and just pounded on the boss.

This creates a cascade of discouragement among a lot of folks, especially slow levelers who don't speedgrind Smash Alerts and do not wish to do so. Basically it's saying that if you don't blaze past everything as fast as you can to 40, you don't get to do this cool thing, which'll vanish before you can get to 40 with your limited schedule.

It was the same way on the Holiday event. Two well put together 40s could duo the Factory. Five 18s, or worse, four 18s and one 35, would turn into a massacre.
  • Options
    hushiforumhushiforum Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am totally in love with the Bleak Ones design. It absolutely blew me away. I can't wait to try this battle, and I really am enjoying the Invasion plot. I hope that this is going to be a regular thing from Champions from here onward, because it has kept things so exciting!
  • Options
    hushiforumhushiforum Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It was the same way on the Holiday event. Two well put together 40s could duo the Factory. Five 18s, or worse, four 18s and one 35, would turn into a massacre.

I really really hope that this event isn't going to be like the holiday event. That was awful. I completely gave up on it after I couldn't even get through the factory...with two rather strong 40s. It was okay to a point, and then it was Cheap Town. So I hope this will be balanced far better than that disaster.

But I am optimistic and I do hope that it will be. I really have enjoyed the event so far.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In my head, the Lemurian Tank looks like a glass fishbowl with tank treads, side mounted cannons, and a very angry looking goldfish floating inside. Possibly the Derpy Goldfish from the Mom's Basement Hideout.
    Dammit, where's the "like" button?? :biggrin:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    If this is like the carrier assault, it's designed for vehicles.
    *sadface*

• Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,066 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    The flyers aren't all that bad. I was able to catch up to them using rank 3 jet boots. All you have to do is cut their path, they do seem to have a certain pattern of flight path.

However as I may suspect, many players will complain about it, so it would be smart of them to adjust the speed.

This mission was MADE for Plasma Beam and rank 3 Jet Boots :biggrin:
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    God forbid any one with bat flight or cape glide decide to skip using the rental.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    So the Kraken is a rampage alert. Awwww I was hoping for something along the lines of Mega D :I

That would have been SOOOOOOOO much better. - IMHO. :smile: I've always enjoyed a good OM with lots of heroes on the scene. The more heroes, the bigger the OM feels. :smile:

Sometimes I wish we had more of them. Or shorter clocks on some. Anything longer than 20 mins RT is a bit much, especially with so few instances now. Haven't found a 2nd instance of a non-Mil map, in a dogs age. They're all a one instance situation now. Even Canada.

Boy, my mind really meandered there, didn't it? { goes back to whittling on porch }
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ROTF

I'm so glad I gave up drinking beverage while I read this board. :biggrin:
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Boy, my mind really meandered there, didn't it? { goes back to whittling on porch }
    You should whittle on a stick instead. You're going to run out of porch pretty quickly, at this rate.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    You should whittle on a stick instead. You're going to run out of porch pretty quickly, at this rate.

Why I oughta... { promptly forgets what he oughta and resumes whittling }
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If this is like the carrier assault, it's designed for vehicles.
    *sadface*

I was a little sad by this seeing how i still have yet to play the Until carrier mission simply because no one ever queues for it when i'm on. It's kind of ridiculous to make it vehicle based when vehicles in general aren't that great.

I was hoping to wait for this to go live and not ruin the surprise, but sadly i think it might already be ruined.
  • Options
    sevenbitbrian7sevenbitbrian7 Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Awesome! I like this new content coming out, and at a much faster pace. Now the only thing we are missing is the Foundry and this game would be almost perfect on content(If you keep up close to this release rate).
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You aren't hiding your sarcasm very well.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    2 short instanced missions that take a few minutes to do, one of which is temporary in 3 months... Not that this is even REAL content (permenent story content) we havent had any of that since whiteout 15 MONTHS ago.

The only thing this pace of content release is faster than is a dead arthritic snail trying to climb mount everest...
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Okay I'm ready for both vehicle and normal toons.
    Just my wonder is what to do in this mission. :confused: