Options

Maintenance, January 24 [Complete]

2»

Comments

• Options
    pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    masqureman wrote: »
    Yup, I've been here a week and the amount of negativity I've witnessed here and in the game borders on inconceivable.

Se here's the thing - you've been here a week. Everything you've said? We've said it. We've done it. We've done the petitions, we've offered to donate money, we've offered free work, several community members have joined the Cryptic staff, we've laid out major lists of wants, needs and demands. We've got community members who have donated time and energy to real testing on the test server that goes ignored. Real time and energy compiling and maintaining an up to date list of bugs going back to beta that have yet to be acknowledged, much less addressed. Real time, energy and money maintaining the Wiki for this game even after Cryptic stopped providing files and information for the project to continue, but they still link to it on the main page. We've argued it back and forth endlessly since Vibora Bay was introduced.

Since then there has been almost no to very little real progression. We got Adventure Packs, which were great (eventually), but were too resource intensive. Have you played the Adventure packs? They're the equivalent of a Task Force or an extended raid. We got 3. Rather than pursue the technology and process that they'd spent the better part of a year getting down, they decided to switch gears to Comic Series - kinda like APs but doled out in smaller installments over time so they weren't used up as quickly. These proved too resource intensive as well. We got 2, then they decided instead of creating new content, they would redo old content - Westside went through 2 revamps. This was, IMO, for the better, but not really expanding the game.

At this point the game was not doing very well (we assume) so in order to switch gears, they went with a whole different model - F2P. The crafting, gear and power replacer systems were **** so instead of fixing what had the potential to really stand out and be absolutely exceptional, they removed it and gave us Spec trees and Mods which are, essentially, gap fillers that could have been used to enhance the old systems rather than replace them with something bland and less thematic. Regardless, more replacement - nothing new.

Then came Alerts. Two minutes of gameplay - repeatable endlessly letting you skip the entirety of the game without ever leaving Defender's side. And for the record, Alerts did not turn out at all how they were originally proposed, at least not given the understanding of several community members. We expected more stuff like the bank heists and open missions - things that made sense within the game world. Anyway, all that aside, it's two minutes of repeatable content using already existing models and environs.

It's been 3 years. Meanwhile Star Trek Online, using similar systems, has had content added. They've had a faction added. They've had worlds added. They've had storylines added pretty continuously since launch. Getting your first mission you can see the depths of design in STO put CO to shame. Just getting to level 10 you could see there was a whole lot more game to STO than it's 5 month older brother, CO.

The Nighthawk mission culminating in the jet plane fight was the first real new piece we've had since Red Winter, and the Comic Series' before that. In a year we got Nighthawk, Red Winter, Hi Pan, Gravitar and the Carrier mission. 5 Alerts in a year.

Meanwhile, we've lost players, we've lost community members, and we've lost content. Nighthawk - gone. Crises - gone. Costume creator for silvers - severly limited. Champedia - gone. Rate my Champ - gone. When was the last time anyone saw Rox (champion builder builder)? Lohr (Wiki mistress)? Kali (number cruncher)? Pulsewave (build guru)? Any number of other contributors to the framework of the CO community?

tl;dr - In my opinion, the fact that we're even still here shows much greater optimism than is likely deserved; stick around for a in a year.
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    You ever notice how Questionite starts with the letter Q?

DAMMIT Q! Dx

15840657.jpg

Wrong Trek.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    pion01 wrote: »

Se here's the thing - you've been here a week. Everything you've said? We've said it. We've done it. We've done the petitions, we've offered to donate money, we've offered free work, several community members have joined the Cryptic staff, we've laid out major lists of wants, needs and demands. We've got community members who have donated time and energy to real testing on the test server that goes ignored. Real time and energy compiling and maintaining an up to date list of bugs going back to beta that have yet to be acknowledged, much less addressed. Real time, energy and money maintaining the Wiki for this game even after Cryptic stopped providing files and information for the project to continue, but they still link to it on the main page. We've argued it back and forth endlessly since Vibora Bay was introduced.

Since then there has been almost no to very little real progression. We got Adventure Packs, which were great (eventually), but were too resource intensive. Have you played the Adventure packs? They're the equivalent of a Task Force or an extended raid. We got 3. Rather than pursue the technology and process that they'd spent the better part of a year getting down, they decided to switch gears to Comic Series - kinda like APs but doled out in smaller installments over time so they weren't used up as quickly. These proved too resource intensive as well. We got 2, then they decided instead of creating new content, they would redo old content - Westside went through 2 revamps. This was, IMO, for the better, but not really expanding the game.

At this point the game was not doing very well (we assume) so in order to switch gears, they went with a whole different model - F2P. The crafting, gear and power replacer systems were **** so instead of fixing what had the potential to really stand out and be absolutely exceptional, they removed it and gave us Spec trees and Mods which are, essentially, gap fillers that could have been used to enhance the old systems rather than replace them with something bland and less thematic. Regardless, more replacement - nothing new.

Then came Alerts. Two minutes of gameplay - repeatable endlessly letting you skip the entirety of the game without ever leaving Defender's side. And for the record, Alerts did not turn out at all how they were originally proposed, at least not given the understanding of several community members. We expected more stuff like the bank heists and open missions - things that made sense within the game world. Anyway, all that aside, it's two minutes of repeatable content using already existing models and environs.

It's been 3 years. Meanwhile Star Trek Online, using similar systems, has had content added. They've had a faction added. They've had worlds added. They've had storylines added pretty continuously since launch. Getting your first mission you can see the depths of design in STO put CO to shame. Just getting to level 10 you could see there was a whole lot more game to STO than it's 5 month older brother, CO.

The Nighthawk mission culminating in the jet plane fight was the first real new piece we've had since Red Winter, and the Comic Series' before that. In a year we got Nighthawk, Red Winter, Hi Pan, Gravitar and the Carrier mission. 5 Alerts in a year.

Meanwhile, we've lost players, we've lost community members, and we've lost content. Nighthawk - gone. Crises - gone. Costume creator for silvers - severly limited. Champedia - gone. Rate my Champ - gone. When was the last time anyone saw Rox (champion builder builder)? Lohr (Wiki mistress)? Kali (number cruncher)? Pulsewave (build guru)? Any number of other contributors to the framework of the CO community?

tl;dr - In my opinion, the fact that we're even still here shows much greater optimism than is likely deserved; stick around for a in a year.

Lohr has posted a couple of times recently.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    keaixiankeaixian Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Interesting. How much experience, exactly, do you have in programming using the Cryptic engine? I presume it's extensive enough for you to know how long it takes to insert assets into the game without breaking things that seem completely unconnected (like the Nighthawk patch, or the level 40 bug in the Destroid "event", or the coyotes near Greenskin, or...).

This does nothing but bring the skill and ability of their coders into question, as well as the quality of their tools and the general structure of the code. If there is a problem with some of these elements it is their own fault and no one else's.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Interesting. How much experience, exactly, do you have in programming using the Cryptic engine? I presume it's extensive enough for you to know how long it takes to insert assets into the game without breaking things that seem completely unconnected (like the Nighthawk patch, or the level 40 bug in the Destroid "event", or the coyotes near Greenskin, or...).

The funny thing is, using the foundry (which is the dumbed down version of some of the dev tools), the two new missions actually would be about 5 minutes of work. It's actually a really easy tool to use once you get the hang of it, so an actual Dev with out creating any new assets would be able to slap these together pretty quick.

As for me, i personally found them to be disappointing,i was hoping for the next costume unlock as well as an actual mission or two, not just "go kill a mob and bring me back an item", and you have to do it twice since it didn't let me take one mission until i did the other. the funny thing is i can't even be mad about it because they're so short. At least if i was able to get my hands on the next costume piece i'd be content with that.
  • Options
    matixzonmatixzon Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What this game really needs is new permanent content, it doesn't need to be flashy, have voice or cutscenes, they could just add it to the overworld like the old missions, instead they use the little recources they have in temporal content and "events" that disappear after a while, and the devs just can't seem to understand that the "event" content model doesn't work.
    @mawexzon

I like cats :cool:.

UGC Campaign: The Coldblooded Scrolls
  • Options
    masquremanmasqureman Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Well, I'll be here as active as I can be and even if I take a break I'll be watching. I just think there's always something that can happen and if the decision is to stop playing in protest, to take it over to the STO brothers and sisters, I think that should be the case.
  • Options
    jadetorajadetora Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Supporting and providing input produces just as much here on CO.

Oh yes, this helps. Whining and being defeatist about everything, because we know defeatists always win in the end, right?

Additionally support/providing input is one thing but we've neither seen support nor really constructive input much on the forums, quite to the contrary rather, a flooding of doom-sayers and whiners whose only goal seems to be to perpetually post the same "CRYPTIC NEVER DOES ANYTHING RIGHT" and "CRYPTIC DOESN'T WANT OUR MONEY" drivel.

Because that's so going to help.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    we've neither seen support nor really constructive input much on the forums

Who is the 'we' you talking about?
    Try checking your Postfilter, i think it's broken.

Or is this a case of 'You must be new to the game/forum' also.

The go-go dancers and the cheerleaders haven't helped much either.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    jadetora wrote: »
    Whining and being defeatist about everything, because we know defeatists always win in the end, right?

They do if they want to be defeated :biggrin:
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    9:39PM EST Thursday, Jan 24 and I can't log in. The Launcher cannot connect to the updater. Anyone else experiencing this?
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    9:39PM EST Thursday, Jan 24 and I can't log in. The Launcher cannot connect to the updater. Anyone else experiencing this?

Aye, I thought it was just my router, it's been acting up today.

Both the launcher as well as the client can't connect on my end. Tries to connect twice, then says 'The patchclient got a message while it was in a state with no response function.'.

Pidgin is working fine though. Hope it gets fixed, i don't want to miss xp weekend. :frown:
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited January 2013
    Looking into this...
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Aye, I thought it was just my router, it's been acting up today.

Both the launcher as well as the client can't connect on my end. Tries to connect twice, then says 'The patchclient got a message while it was in a state with no response function.'.

Pidgin is working fine though. Hope it gets fixed, i don't want to miss xp weekend. :frown:

I get the exact same error. Tried rebooting and the whole routine. Turned off my firewall and viruschecker, etc, etc.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Looking into this...

<3

/10lings
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    ruiijiruiiji Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    We're going to be having maintenance tomorrow (Thursday) for a number of elements. Most of them will be backend and shouldn't impact you, aside from the length of the maintenance.

*Start investigating the invasion with a one-time mission from Julie Morgan, in Renaissance Center.

Not to be picky, but when completing the new Julie Morgan mission, you don't "Accept Reward", according to CO you "Reward Accept". I mean, c'mon! Grammar much?
    edited January 2013
    I dunno what you did TT, but it's working now. Yay. :biggrin:
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ruiiji wrote: »
    Not to be picky, but when completing the new Julie Morgan mission, you don't "Accept Reward", according to CO you "Reward Accept". I mean, c'mon! Grammar much?

Yes, actually you did mean to be picky...

Being picky is the very heart of grammer comments...

And, yes I did misspell grammar just to bug you...

:tongue:
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jadetora wrote: »
    Additionally support/providing input is one thing but we've neither seen support nor really constructive input much on the forums...

You haven't?

Here's a link where you can find all that constructive input.
  • Options
    danteandersendanteandersen Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ruiiji wrote: »

It's perfect grammar for China. :wink:

- END OF LINE
  • Options
    jadetorajadetora Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited January 2013

They do if they want to be defeated :biggrin:

We uh! ..Uh..

..Dang.. Good point..
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    lokikin wrote: »
    Yes, actually you did mean to be picky...

Being picky is the very heart of grammer comments...

And, yes I did misspell grammar just to bug you...

:tongue:

Being picky is also at the heart of the fruit industry. And while there is no industry for noses, I hear that... { SPLAT }
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    lohr01lohr01 Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited January 2013

You rang?

/10char
    edited January 2013
    lohr01 wrote: »
    You rang?

/10char

::pounce!!::

NAO U CAN NEBA LEEVE!!!!
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    When was the last time anyone saw Rox (champion builder builder)? Lohr (Wiki mistress)? Kali (number cruncher)? Pulsewave (build guru)? Any number of other contributors to the framework of the CO community?

Kenpojujitsu shows up from time to time... To look around sadly and sigh. But he shows up.
    edited January 2013
    You left out Gamehobo getting banned, he was the major advocate for Telepathy reviews/fixes.

Similar with Roxstar, except they completely made a new frameset for Rox but refuse to do anything about an existing and neglected frameset.
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    GET THE CHAINS! LOCK HIM DOWN! :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,067 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    skcark wrote: »
    You left out Gamehobo getting banned, he was the major advocate for Telepathy reviews/fixes.

Similar with Roxstar, except they completely made a new frameset for Rox but refuse to do anything about an existing and neglected frameset.

Yeah, Its a shame Gamehobo is banned T_T.....

Oh well there goes my dream of playing a telepath...
  • Options
    edited February 2013

::pounce!!::

NAO U CAN NEBA LEEVE!!!!

I don't leave, I just have a tendancy to wander off, sort of aimlessly. Look TT gave me my title back and now I am a the!
    GET THE CHAINS! LOCK HIM DOWN! :biggrin:

Who?
    twg042370 wrote: »
    Kenpojujitsu shows up from time to time... To look around sadly and sigh. But he shows up.

I see Kenpo all the time. My tracking device works. He's always playing other games and he's busy practicing martial arts on his new wife. =D
    edited February 2013
    I see Kenpo all the time. My tracking device works. He's always playing other games and he's busy practicing martial arts on his new wife. =D
    I think you misspelled "marital" there... :wink:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Wait what?

http://raptr.com/kenpojujitsu3/wall

fs.png

_DSC5102-Version2.jpg

P.S. Lohr knows I'm a NINJA!! :wink:
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I think you misspelled "marital" there... :wink:

Okay,marital martial arts on his wife. :cool:
    edited February 2013
    _DSC5102-Version2.jpg

If there's a really respectful, non-creepy way of saying, "Wow, Kenpo, terrific job by you," then that's what I want to say.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I don't leave, I just have a tendancy to wander off, sort of aimlessly. Look TT gave me my title back and now I am a the!

You were always a The to me... :biggrin:
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    If there's a really respectful, non-creepy way of saying, "Wow, Kenpo, terrific job by you," then that's what I want to say.

^^what he (sorta) said^^