test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

General Consensus: What level is OK to do alerts?

2»

Comments

• Options
    gtw891gtw891 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I'll take that one step further - the game gives you a popup to teleport to Kodiak - why aren't people using it? It also involves less clicks than joining an alert, yet people seem to be glossing it over...

(raises hands) you got me. It's seems to be a great way of getting a lot of easy xp for starting out toons.
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I honestly have no problem with level 6's being there.

If we happen to fail...so what...it's only about 3 mins of gametime "wasted".

Two minutes and your stars.
    I should say lvl 15.
    Even for a form of respect to the others players If you are not able to perform in your role they get killed too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'd say 11 is a decent starting point. That's when ATs get their passive and start to see performance increases.

ATs get their passive at level eight. They do get another power by level eleven however. But from what I've heard, the general consensus is level fifteen.
    Because i wish i could queue for a freeform-only version of alerts or something.
    The people in alerts cause braincells to be lost. I wish they would help themselves instead of rely on someone else.

Makes me want to go in alone cos im tired of goimg into alerts where people are so bad...i mean SOOOOO bad they ask crap like 'how do i walk?'

I dont like leveling up other people who cant level themselves.

Ouch... Yeah those people should have at least done the tutorial. Maybe make it mandatory that you run the tutorial with your first toon on a new account? Just sayin...
    ^Kinda harsh actually...I enjoy helping people in Alerts with my level 40, DPS/Tanks/Support chars. If they can't be bothered to use anything but their EB, then so what? It's still damage, annoyingly small but 2GM maintains and Epidemic + well every other source of damage (yes even the small amount of telepathy we have) IS still damage, that wouldnt be there if they sat and leeched...

In most instances, where I am with level 6s, I use my teleiosaurus + tech pets build, they make up for any lack of DPS on the level 6's part and we dont fail.

As long as I am not busy, I'm free to help. But that's just theravenforce for ya :3

Regarding highlighted: So...we want more players and the best way to do this is...to limit how much their toons can do per day? I'd say that was borderline mad or super counterproductive. I understand the frustration, but limiting them is not the answer...the answer is to bring moar DPS on your part as well as their own, if it can't be done then...you've at best wasted 3 mins of in game time...that could have been spent..travelling to a mission, standing idly in Ren Cen...etc

As a fan of content I like being able to run missions along with Alerts as they suppliment the missions. Since I RP alot, I only do alerts when I am itching to break to level 40, or it fits what is going on, or I need to go kill some VIPER with my PFF toon >:)

^This. When did helping people in an MMO become so vilified?
    I should say lvl 15.
    Even for a form of respect to the others players If you are not able to perform in your role they get killed too.

Oh no! Not my stars! How will I ever live without them!? :P
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jzsquared wrote: »
    ATs get their passive at level eight. They do get another power by level eleven however. But from what I've heard, the general consensus is level fifteen.
    Fifteen is when you get your third superstat and generally have a basis powerset for a toon.

Ouch... Yeah those people should have at least done the tutorial. Maybe make it mandatory that you run the tutorial with your first toon on a new account? Just sayin...

It does. Which is the scary thing.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Oh no! Not my stars! How will I ever live without them!? :P

You can't. That is because you have to buy back them (with your G if you are high lvl since the cost scales with your lvl or by grinding a lot)
    I don't know about you but i don't spit on a +15% bonus on healing and damage :tongue:
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    You can't. That is because you have to buy back them (with your G if you are high lvl since the cost scales with your lvl or by grinding a lot)
    I don't know about you but i don't spit on a +15% bonus on healing and damage :tongue:

...Um, they come back after a short amount of time. They regenerate normally with...Experience I think it is? Even if you're 40.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ...Um, they come back after a short amount of time. They regenerate normally, of with...Experience I think it is? Even if you're 40.

They don't come back normally if you stay idle :
    http://championsonline.wikia.com/wiki/HERO_POINTS

"Hero Points (also known as Stars) affect your characters stats. A single star means that your hero is a sad panda. They won't fight as well, and it'll be hard to survive difficult engagements. Everything above two stars makes your character stronger than usual and allows you to survive especially difficult encounters!

A character gains Stars by completing missions and defeating villains. A character loses one star each time they are defeated."
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    They don't come back normally if you stay idle :
    http://championsonline.wikia.com/wiki/HERO_POINTS

"Hero Points (also known as Stars) affect your characters stats. A single star means that your hero is a sad panda. They won't fight as well, and it'll be hard to survive difficult engagements. Everything above two stars makes your character stronger than usual and allows you to survive especially difficult encounters!

A character gains Stars by completing missions and defeating villains. A character loses one star each time they are defeated."

So...Don't stand around? Stars really don't do much.

Especially in an alert situation where it's zerg rushing. :tongue:
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think a level 6 character twinked out with devices can hold their own in a Smash. Maybe even carry it. Something like Strafe/Quarry/2GM with primary Int, Ice Grenades, Necrullitic Elixir, a bunch of Until Recognition heals, a Backup device and an Eruption.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    So...Don't stand around? Stars really don't do much.

Especially in an alert situation where it's zerg rushing. :tongue:
    Sorry to break you the news but smash alerts don't give you any stars since xp and hero points (that is the name of the stars) are two different things and you can get one and not the other. So if you start the alerts at lvl 6 with 5 stars and you do nothing else but smash alerts until you reach lvl 40 you will come out with 0 stars.
    Of course since if you do so you will have also not really esperienced the game you are likely not to see the difference. However if you do some normal mish you will understand what difference there is bethween 0 and 5 stars .:tongue:
    And at Cryptic they know it too :biggrin:
    http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Star_Refills
  • Options
    thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I don't do alerts until after 11. That way you can actually contribute to the mission. Your mileage may vary though.

far more matches are lost to incompetence than lowbies.
  • Options
    pugdaddypugdaddy Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    At least have a Passive before doing Alerts, but even then stick to the easy ones like Soul Siphon, Radiation Rumble, or Dock Dustup.
    Please don't waste everyone's time by going into the harder Alerts like Recruiting Drive, Pyramid Power, the rotating ones like Red Winter, anything with the worm-guy Ao'qoth (or whatever) unless you're level 20 or higher.

The best way to tag-along on an Alert is see the Alert guy by Defender. Find out what he's paying Q for today and try doing those. Players with experience are more likely to be doing those to earn Q
  • Options
    pugdaddypugdaddy Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    As soon as you can get in.
    Devs don't care why should we.
    It's 2 minutes at most and you can tell early if it's gonna fudge up or not. If it's gonna fudge up, just use Teleport To Ren Center device and queue to another. That's what i do. Or somethimes in BadZergRuuush i just sit at the building roof and eat popcorn.

Finn, bailers should stick around to the end. seriously! I have been in Alerts where some people bail out in the first 30 seconds, only to lose the Alert by a very small amount. If the bailers had stayed, we would have won. I have to point out the giving up withhout trying is NOT heroic at all.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    [...]
    far more matches are lost to incompetence than lowbies.

Hello truth. I'll throw "leechers" in there... though that might just fall under incompetence too.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    tacofoodsololtacofoodsolol Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I do Alerts with my lvl40 waiting for more CONTENT.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    pugdaddy wrote: »
    Finn, bailers should stick around to the end. seriously! I have been in Alerts where some people bail out in the first 30 seconds, only to lose the Alert by a very small amount. If the bailers had stayed, we would have won. I have to point out the giving up withhout trying is NOT heroic at all.
    I've been saying this quite a bit. It is heroic to win in the final seconds. It can even be heroic to come this close to victory, especially if you go back and try again. Running away from the fight, however, no matter what reason you claim, no matter what gloss you apply, is not heroic.

And if you're worried about your stars - don't die. You don't lose stars for failing, you lose stars for being Defeated. (And if you have one of those devices that immediately restores you to fighting status, you keep your stars too.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I should say lvl 15.

Alerts I've been in don't fail due to party wipes, they fail because the timer ran out.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • Options
    rapierwhiprapierwhip Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have never bailed on a Smash and I never will. I've been the only person in a Smash above level twenty with the other four all being still in the single digits and won with 30 seconds left on the clock. I know for a fact that I'm not the best player in the game so it can't be just me. As long as everyone contributes as much as possible, it is very possible. Now I have been in some Smashes that failed, but typically it was because someone bailed (usually a high level toon that saw that there was one or more low level toons there).

The Forumite formerly known as Galeforce.

If you want my money, there is a fairly simple way to get it since I am fairly free with how I spend it. First, produce something I consider to be worth buying. Second, offer it up for sale. Don't lock it behind a gambling scam. If I want something, I am perfectly happy to pay for it. But I will not purchase a CHANCE to get it, When I pay money, I have a perfectly logical right to expect to get what I want.
  • Options
    serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have never bailed on a Smash and I never will. I've been the only person in a Smash above level twenty with the other four all being still in the single digits and won with 30 seconds left on the clock. I know for a fact that I'm not the best player in the game so it can't be just me. As long as everyone contributes as much as possible, it is very possible. Now I have been in some Smashes that failed, but typically it was because someone bailed (usually a high level toon that saw that there was one or more low level toons there).

Same, but thats the exception not the rule.

Most characters in single digits are incompetent/poorly geared (possibly through no fault but that again is the exception) or exploiting leachers. Which all increase the chance of failiure. Sure 1 maybe 2 can be compensated for but it places increasingly more of a burden on the rest that need to be that much better.

Anyone who is capable/not exploiting doesnt stay in single digits for more than 30 minutes.

Thats the REAL crunch of it there, if it were just new characters youd barely see anyone in single digits, the reason there are so many is they are mostly exploiting leachers who do the daily then delete and reroll.

Thats why they should make the alerts lvl 10 minimum - it would keep the exploiters out, while non exploiters can get to 10 almost as fast in westside as they can in alerts anyway.

OR make the daily mission lvl 10 (or even 15) minimum, again this would seriously reduce the sub lvl 10 exploting leachers if the time investment and effort to get the payoff was longer than the few minutes it is at the moment.

Thats why i only do soul siphon (which i can solo if need be so the leachers only slow me down slightly) or nemesis dockside (which bring out a far higher number of decent characters/players as they want to guruntee wins for the Q boxes - so the balance of leachers/non leachers is more than balanced out)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Fifteen is when you get your third superstat and generally have a basis powerset for a toon.

It does. Which is the scary thing.

I was actually correcting who I was quoting about the "passives are granted at level eleven" ordeal. If you read further, you would notice that I concur with the whole "level fifteen is a good place to start playing Alerts."

You could do that. Or you could do something as simple as beating some enemies and turning in some quests. I have lost stars, and not once have I wasted money on buying more of them (especially at level forty). Fifteen percent really isn't that much. Especially when you figure in the diminishing returns math that Cryptic uses.
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So, I read what everyone had to say and decided I'd be better served running alerts on somewhat higher toons if running PUGs and not being as strict on level when running with people I know and play with. So I spent most of this weekend playing with people on my SG channel like "Brad", Cyrone85, "Cooler", "heroic" and Man.of.Light along with Mac Daddy, Buxom and Snakewildlife. When I wasn't with them I was braving the PUG waters.

Took one toon from 24-40, another from 11-15 with friends before going from 15-40 with friends and PUGs and then took another toon from 17-33 with friends and PUGs.

All in all a good weekend with a few exceptions that I noticed when running PUGs or partial PUGs. Stuff that got to me. Warning: Rant and venting below, stop reading now if not interesting in reading me moan about players and bugs.

1) People complain for all the wrong reasons. We had a team of 3 friends and two randoms and one of us was melee. The melee was using knock UP to stack resistance...and the randoms were complaining about the knocks. Correction...the RANGED randoms were complaining about the knock UPs. Correction...the RANGED randoms were complaining about the knock UPs when we finished the alert in just under 50 seconds...

2) People don't know how or why people are doing certain things. I ran solo in a Nemesis alert PUG and I picked up the aggro unintentionally through DPS. So it's clear to me that I'm likely the one doing the most damage and I can see that the boss' life bar isn't moving as fast as I'm used to seeing so the others are bringing subpar DPS to the party. It's going to be close or a fail. I note that 3 of the other 4 players are ranged. So what do I do? I kite the boss slowly in a tight circle trying to stay near the one melee player so they can contribute as much as possible while also staying out of the range of devour essence so I won't get rooted and have to stop DPSing to hold my block while my breakers are on cooldown. After the alert two of the ranged randoms berate me for moving around too much because "you weren't taking enough damage to move around like that" "sit the **** still next time, god****". So after politely telling them to go service themselves I explained that I had to stay out of range of the root so I wouldn't have to hold block so I could carry their underperforming 30+ freeforms running in Avenger through the alert on a toon running in Guardian at the same level.

3) People still leech and then only jump in when it's getting close. I had to send a tell to quite a few people asking that they at least come and use their energy builder. All but one joined the fray. The one that didn't said we could handle it so I sent a team message to ask everyone else to get the boss to near death and then just stop and let the clock rundown. Yeah, we all wasted two minutes but predictably who was upset by it? Mr. Leech. Sorry bud, we used counter troll on you. It was super effective.

4) People don't pay attention. Man.of.Light. was in an alert on a support toon and was spamming energy to everyone so they wouldn't have to build their own. Guess who were still running their energy builders instead of their other attacks? Everyone not on our team. We actually failed one of the alerts likes this because the other 3 players were energy building with full energy bars. They were well passed level 6 so either they weren't paying attention or were like a few people I suspect who are leveling through alerts and never using the train option to add new powers until later (probably level cap).

5) People bail before the alert even starts. We had a handful of times where we had to 4 man something because someone saw a bunch of toons in the teens to low 20's and left the map before we started. The "lowbies" were people like Snake, ManOfLight, Cyrone85 and myself. Come on man, don't bail. We promise to carry you through the alert. Scouts honor.

6) New players don't know some of the mechanics of the game yet still talk down to people anyway. Had a player berate me for possible knocks...while I was tap spamming Force Cascade. So I told them that tapped FC won't knock which is why I'm using it and they said I must be new to the game. Yeah, that always goes over well with me (that's the easy tick Kenpo off button). I just asked when they started the game and they said about 6 months ago. Ummm, yeah, about that. *full charges Millennial Flight*

7) Ahhh Champions, still buggy. Missing Nemesis!!...ALERT!!! Dun dun duunnnnn!!! Had a few times where no Nemesis showed up. On ONE occasion the alert auto-completed in 3 seconds and gave us the XP drop. We didn't get around to figuring out what caused it to auto-complete so that we could re-create the bug.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My pet peeves with alerts --

1. Not reading/knowing the alert win conditions.
    So often, folks think every alert means killing every mob. While that is true in most alerts, it isn't always true, especially in Recruiting Drive.

2. Players who zerg-rush their way to win.
    If I am on a team where everyone has died 2 or 3 times in the first few minutes (particularly on a Grab), I'm out. I have no desire to be on an alert with a team whose strategy is the respawn button.

Low level toons can be fine in most alerts, though the timed ones against certain bosses make it hard for lowbies.

Still, level 11 for easier/untimed alerts and level 15 for harder/timed alerts are my own personal minimums.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I generally don't need to mess with Alerts until around 21 or so, where there's a gap in interesting missions. Unfortunately, builds that clean up in normal PvE are still painful in an Alert until around 25 (with my play or build style. Probably my CoX approach.).

Except my Wind and Force characters. No one wants them on a team until the 30s, when I have had a chance to grab some non-KB/Repel damage powers.
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • Options
    cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    On the topic at hand in regards to the original post:

If I could take Wrecker, my level *ONE* who is in MC Proper, into alerts....I would!
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    cyrone wrote: »
    On the topic at hand in regards to the original post:

If I could take Wrecker, my level *ONE* who is in MC Proper, into alerts....I would!

I'd pay to see that if it were possible just to see who comments after press O first and bails. :biggrin:
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So over the weekend, with two slots open I came up with two new concepts. The standard plan for both:

1.) Plow through Westside at 2XP until they hit 15. This usually took an hour and forty five minutes.

2.) Equip with Nemesis primary gear.

3.) Hit the Smash Alert PUG Lotto.

In the first case, I went in with a straight-up PA hybrid and plowed him through Mindslayer Recruiting Drives from 15 to 19. No fails, and he did fairly well for himself - even more so once I hit 17 and tacked on an Itano circus to his minigun.

In the second case, I dove straight into the deep end of Nemesis Dockside Dustups with a Primal Majesty support build. No failures from 15 to 17, though one came right down to the last second. I like to think that was because of my stat buffs and me being the only one who paid attention to clearing the trash mobs.

All the other alerts i ran were either with GLOBE or with some friends regrouping from CoX, almost all of which went smooth as silk. It helps a lot when you have good teammates on your side, but really that should go for pretty much all team content.
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    1) People complain for all the wrong reasons.

Yup. So many people are just used to hearing "knocks are bad" and just go along with it, not knowing which are band and why they're bad. I've given up on explaining anything to anyone. I just say "**** happens" and wait for them to politely move me closer to 24 hours of blissful silence.
    2) People don't know how or why people are doing certain things.

Though you did some mindful kiting, I normally just use the ultimate aggro wipe - floor hugs!
    3Sorry bud, we used counter troll on you. It was super effective.

That's classic.

One of my pet peeves is when people put more importance in posing for the camera at the end of the alert rather than finding out why the clock is still running.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    xienthxienth Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ... One of my pet peeves is when people put more importance in posing for the camera at the end of the alert rather than finding out why the clock is still running.

That has also been bugging me ever since dockside came out as an alert. Though I do find it amussing when there are two or more people that want to photo bomb the alert at the end and they end up fighting with each other over that 'speical' spot.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Stuff

Agree on a lot of things, but have to point something out here:
    5) People bail before the alert even starts. We had a handful of times where we had to 4 man something because someone saw a bunch of toons in the teens to low 20's and left the map before we started. The "lowbies" were people like Snake, ManOfLight, Cyrone85 and myself. Come on man, don't bail. We promise to carry you through the alert. Scouts honor.

Sometimes it's not that they bail, but the loading screen can be very unstable. I've had a few instances where I crashed there and then came back to an empty/failed alert.
  • Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited January 2013

One of my pet peeves is when people put more importance in posing for the camera at the end of the alert rather than finding out why the clock is still running.

Wait your saying the point of alerts is not to get front and centre?
  • Options
    cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    3) People still leech and then only jump in when it's getting close. I had to send a tell to quite a few people asking that they at least come and use their energy builder. All but one joined the fray. The one that didn't said we could handle it so I sent a team message to ask everyone else to get the boss to near death and then just stop and let the clock rundown. Yeah, we all wasted two minutes but predictably who was upset by it? Mr. Leech. Sorry bud, we used counter troll on you. It was super effective.

This is the only representation of an alert with a leech that I could find. Obviously, the Dinobots represent the players (as there's only 4 of them. I'm sure with a 5th, they could've taken down Devastator. >>>Dinobots vs Devastator<<<
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • Options
    rapierwhiprapierwhip Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    TRUTH.

Still trying to find that "Like" button, I know its here somewhere.

The Forumite formerly known as Galeforce.

If you want my money, there is a fairly simple way to get it since I am fairly free with how I spend it. First, produce something I consider to be worth buying. Second, offer it up for sale. Don't lock it behind a gambling scam. If I want something, I am perfectly happy to pay for it. But I will not purchase a CHANCE to get it, When I pay money, I have a perfectly logical right to expect to get what I want.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    cyrone wrote: »
    This is the only representation of an alert with a leech that I could find. Obviously, the Dinobots represent the players (as there's only 4 of them. I'm sure with a 5th, they could've taken down Devastator. >>>Dinobots vs Devastator<<<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEdZ-yjxHLI :biggrin: