test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Remove Freeform

bjoernrbjoernr Posts: 110 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
Just remove it seriously add focus on adding way more Archetypes into the game.
This should be the first step to a better balanced Champions Online 2.0

I really miss the teamplay and leveling from CoH. A good team help you level faster ... in CO you level faster on your own because most XP you get from finishing quests.

Thanks.
Post edited by bjoernr on

Comments

• selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    They can't possibly do that. The people who spent $50 (or more if they were unlucky with the grab bags) for FF slots would go up in arms. It might even attract a class action lawsuit because they'd lose what they paid for.
  • bjoernrbjoernr Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    selphea wrote: »
    They can't possibly do that. The people who spent $50 (or more if they were unlucky with the grab bags) for FF slots would go up in arms. It might even attract a class action lawsuit because they'd lose what they paid for.

So they get Archetypes in the same worth of 50$.
    Champions Online is broken. As an experienced Freeformer you can create Builds
    near at Godmode. Why should i join or play in a team if my Hero is a DD/Tank and Healer and im leveling alone much faster?

The whole gameplay is just a mess.
  • honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Iv invested over $400 into co.

This idea is rly....rly.....REAAAAAAALLY...bad.
    Im hoping its a sarcastic topic.
  • baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    No

Just no

Freeforms are what really make this game shine...

and no i'm not a power player, i have several gimped freeforms because I love to follow my own silly concepts that more often than not have zero synergy... but i have fun doing that... yeah some of my chars have trouble doing content on normal difficulty... figure that uh?
  • xaogarrentxaogarrent Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    bjoernr wrote: »
    Why should i join or play in a team if my Hero is a DD/Tank and Healer and im leveling alone much faster?

You could solo in City of Heroes and Villains from level 1 to 50 if you were so inclined. Some of the classes did it better than others, but Scrappers are the prime example of why getting people to team isn't dependent on forcing people to rely on each other. The saying "Four Scrappers on a team should be considered a war crime" only happened because Scrappers teamed up just for the heck of it, in fact due to their self sufficiency they were EASIER to find for teams, it was usually a good Tank or a Defender you had a hard time finding.

Fact is, and I've been beating this dead horse for what, three years now? The lack of teaming in Champions isn't due to people being self sufficient, it's due to a team system that is a complete hassle to work with and actively goes out of its way to hamper your ability to get full XP rewards for teaming. People do team, but it's generally at level cap or for Alerts, and until the aforementioned situation changes that is how it will stay.

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
  • bjoernrbjoernr Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Iv invested over $400 into co.

This idea is rly....rly.....REAAAAAAALLY...bad.
    Im hoping its a sarcastic topic.

Its not.
    I am totally serious.

I spend too much Money into the game (all costumes, all travelpowers, Vehicles and almost every Base) but freeform ist just hurting the game.

I got three friends to test CO they all played until the point they duelled with a freeformer.
    Every Time the same reaction "Whoa what was that" and after a long "CO is Pay2win" discussion they uninstalled the game.
  • darqauradarqaura Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Its not.
    I am totally serious.

I spend too much Money into the game (all costumes, all travelpowers, Vehicles and almost every Base) but freeform ist just hurting the game.

I got three friends to test CO they all played until the point they duelled with a freeformer.
    Every Time the same reaction "Whoa what was that" and after a long "CO is Pay2win" discussion they uninstalled the game.

The selling point of CO was Freeform. Take that away and a majority of players will go to the Secret World or other games.

Worst suggestion in the history of these forums.

If there had never been a COH there would never have been a CO. :cool:
  • baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Its not.
    I am totally serious.

Their lost...

Sure if they want to PvP it is pay to win... but the game is not a PvP fest... the main focus of the game is PvE... and ANYONE can waltz through content on normal, doe snot matter if it is an AT or a freeform.

You just want to cure a headache with a guillotine... sure, it will stop the headache but...

What they need to rebalance is the teaming system.

No more half xp for crossover missions.. in fact you should get XP and resources bonus for doing content while teaming... the larger the team the larger the bonus... You should also get rewards for doing other content as well.. for example doing the nemesis mission of someone else does not net you ANY nemesis token... change that... hell give nem tokens to everyone and even give a % increase if it is a full team...
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm certain they're not going to remove one of the major selling points of this game.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • thalast1thalast1 Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Screw the subscribers, IMO.

Just give free form to everyone for free.
  • arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Its not.
    I am totally serious.

Might wanna suggest to your friends that they subscribe then since you get freeform slots for free as a subscriber.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    No. Absolutely not.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    if this were to happen i would quit the game.
    freeform isn't pay2win since you can earn it in game anyway.
    i could go on but either you are a troll or not very bright to suggest this.
    im sorry you friends didnt feel like stars without learning anything about the game.
  • amarillonmcamarillonmc Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Instead of buffing Archetypes OP suggests cancel freeforms.
    In Chinese there is a saying that you cannot cut part of your foot just to fit in the shoes.

Yes, there is huge IMBA between Archetypes and Freeforms (even in PvE, try Aftershock with a Blade and you'll know what I mean), however it's because Archetypes lacks a buff, not Freeform themselves OP.

For your reference, in Beta (as far as I know, before F2P) there isn't archetype, everyone is freeform so yeah.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...the ultimate Contrast Moe (or not).
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Its not.
    I am totally serious.

fry_squint.jpg

In any case, Not. Going. To. Happen. If you don't like it, the door's over there.
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    LOL

No.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • lawblacklawblack Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Its not.

Maybe the reaction of your friends is the real problem. If they can't see beyond a duel against a freeform, and if the game is limited to that for them, they should have left sooner.

Did they play together and/or with you? Did they dueled each other? Or with you?

Is it necessary to remind that the game was only with freeforms before the free to play, before there is any archetype in game???
    I play with freeforms AND archetypes.
  • lawblacklawblack Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    (...), try Aftershock with a Blade and you'll know what I mean), however it's because Archetypes lacks a buff, not Freeform themselves OP.
    Archetypes don't lack buffes, AT players lack team play. Of course a Blade can't succeed alone (or it will be very hard), but it's not scheduled to be able. Even if some archetypes are self sufficient, they are made to work in a team with complementary members and roles.
    And yes, I play with some archetypes characters too.:rolleyes:
    I play with freeforms AND archetypes.
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hmmmm, I find this thread interesting, and here is my answer.

HowAboutNo.jpg

What's going to be your next suggestion? To drop the super hero theme and play "Common Office people online"??? Phffttt!!

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • titotito333999titotito333999 Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Free Form is awesome... No free form? I go back to Xbox. Champions Online Free Free Forms For All this Xmas, give all the gift of free form for a week hehe. After you try it you'll get hooked like the rest of us.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This was awesome while it lasted

<Adam Savage>"Well there's your problem."</Adam Savage>

You and your friends want to play a MOBA. That's fine. Marvel's working on one in China, maybe it'll come to the states in a few years. 'til then there's always LoL!
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • machinegunbluesmachinegunblues Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Ahahahahahahano.

Freeform is one of the things I love about Champions Online and at least in part what keeps me here making new characters (even if I have to level them through the same damn content). Without freeform I have very little reason to stick around and probably wouldn't.
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Remove Freeform because a couple of duelists cried out "Co is pay2win"? Not on your life.

I think the only people who "won" here are the rest of us for being rid of people like those duelists.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited December 2012
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This is the stupidest thing I've read on this site.

Archetypes worth $50? There aren't any. Sorry, IMO nearly all of the Archetypes are trash.

Sounds like the OP is just whining because he can't afford a FF slot or a sub. I don't want what I paid for to be taken away because some freeloader got beaten in a duel. Thank you and goodbye.

I advise joining your friends in uninstalling the game and spare us from this future nonsense.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,123 Arc User
    edited December 2012

I really miss the teamplay and leveling from CoH. A good team help you level faster ... in CO you level faster on your own because most XP you get from finishing quests.

Thanks.

You must be genuinely having a laugh, or just looking for a discussion. As a player who played AT's from since when CO went F2P and then suddenly I went LTS and as a Silver player I am pretty sure I spent over ?300 on stuff whilst I was silver I had all bar 3 of the AT's unlocked in addition to numerous hideouts.

Why the hell would people subscribe just have have the game's selling point removed?

You misunderstand the term Archetypes in CO when compared to CoH. From what I remember from my days in CoH, Archetypes were Powersets which were predetermined by role, Blaster, Scrapper, Defender etc.

Inferno AT is an example of what Archetype means in CO. If you are suggesting CO become CoH...no thanks. In some aspects such as expanse of powersets and foundry, yes please.

But seriously FF allows for concept builds to be made, free of choice. E.g. Fire wielding Archer with mastery over earth powers..
  • amarillonmcamarillonmc Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Sounds like the OP is just whining because he can't afford a FF slot or a sub.

In before the OP fights back I'll just point it out that it seems the OP is a Lifetime Member.

which make this thread...weirder.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...the ultimate Contrast Moe (or not).
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Thanks.

Umm, no. Feel free to play one of the several other MMO's out there that offer this balanced type of character "creation".
    thalast1 wrote: »
    Just give free form to everyone for free.

Yes.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Ah. I think this might be on o' them troll threads.

And I'll be honest, when it comes to asking for 'more for free' we're heading in the wrong direction.
  • s3rjus3rju Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    CO is free for all not all for free, stop mixing those two up. grow a pair and move on OP... not happy? start paying for it. simple as that.

My build directory (work in progress)
    Guide list
    Freeform Builds

In loving memory of AngelofCaine.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Not whipping out the ol' measuring stick to compare expenditures on CO (besides, quite frankly, I'm not sure how much I've spent so far - just know I'll be spending more later). Just wanted to point out that the selling point of CO has always been, "Be the hero you want to be."

And OP wants to change that to, "Be the hero I want you to be, so I can beat you up."

Um, no.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • shigeru138shigeru138 Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Freeform is why I play. If I had to go with an archetype exclusively...I wouldn't pay. Where's the creativity?
  • freakstreakfreakstreak Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Friend, it's clear to me that you find freeform complicated.. If you lack the ability to make a decent freeform build, then it's not our problem, it's mainly your own.. You should spend more time in the game, and learn how it works.. We were all in the same shoes when we started the game, but once you master it, you'll see why it's worth the trouble..

You have issues with freeform? Ask, test, change what you don't like.. The powerhouses have battle stations (and dummies) in case you haven't noticed, and you can un-do a power selection freely if you stay there.. That means you'll end up with what you like eventually, and with what feels right for your character.. It's just, that, simple! :cool:

You simply want CO to drop it's strong point, and become something people refer to as "Yet another MMO".. I sense rage in you, Padawan, from the loss of CoX.. I say sit back, and calm down..

Holy Trinity in CO? No thank you.. Not in a million years..

Thanks.
    Erm....... With a single teammate you get an additional 25% bonus on XP, and the bonus goes higher with additional ones......? So unless they changed that very recently, i would say that you've avoided teaming so far, or never paid attention to the mouseovers..

Don't blame freeform for the lack of teaming.. Blame Alerts.. However, i have a solution to this : Simply join the "CoX" channel.. People there are always looking for teammates, and teams are formed for almost everything the game has to offer.. Another solution? Join an SG..

Sounds interesting, doesn't it? :wink:
    witchcraft.jpg

• flechusflechus Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Even better

Remove Archetypes

Give "Limited Freeform" to silvers (some of the powersets that already have Free AT, like Fire, Ice Munitions minus dual guns, Might minus Giant weapons, Telepathy, Celestial, etc,etc)

And let them buy the remaining powersets and future ones.

I support "Sell Z-store items individually" & Japan Zone
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Thanks.

laughingcatanimated.gif

I love when my "joke of the day" e-mail comes early!

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Thanks.

Laughing adds years to your life, thank you for the addition.
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    flechus wrote: »
    Even better

Remove Archetypes

Give "Limited Freeform" to silvers (some of the powersets that already have Free AT, like Fire, Ice Munitions minus dual guns, Might minus Giant weapons, Telepathy, Celestial, etc,etc)

devastatorisnotamused.gif

Devastator dislikes this idea so much that he's opted to kill it with eyebeams.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Its not.
    I am totally serious.

You might wanna inform your friends that Champs is "Pay2win"... at duels. And that is pretty darn well insignificant.

If you're into PvP and you're an Archetype, try restricted PvP. If you like to duel, duel other Archetypes (right click - Show Info, tells you which Archetype the character is).

No other aspect of the game (that is, PvE) is Pay to Win. You can solo most of the whole game, with any Archetype. You can win alerts, you can beat Adventure Packs/Comic Series.

Uninstalling the game because you lost a duel? Had everything they done up until that point when they dueled become invalidated because they lost a duel? Were they having fun before the duel?

Freeform isn't hurting the game. I have over 70 characters and not one of them is a super overpowered build. They're all stupid concept characters. I don't think I'd have stuck around with this game for over three years if all we had were Archetypes.
    biffsig.jpg
  • vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    18567347.jpg
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • freakstreakfreakstreak Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    flechus wrote: »
    Even better

Remove Archetypes

I looooove how you think.. :biggrin:
    witchcraft.jpg

• atompenguinatompenguin Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hah hahah hah

Hah hah

Oh wait, you're serious? Let me laugh harder.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

No.

And since the only other things I could add at this point would probably violate forum conduct and me downright mean-spirited besides, leave it at that.

My reaction. It is this.
    -Campaign: Spells and Coin
    --Part 1: Spells and Coin (NW-DHM3XQVQK)
    --Part 2: A Blind Eye (NW-DI3QTHZGJ)
    --Part 3: Dodo's Dinner (NW-DHPA8O253)

-One Shots
    --The Wizard of Eldeur (NW-DRKQNE4S7)
  • zerojadzerojad Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Duel and PvP, ends up ppl ragequit or butthurt, that's why i don't play those, i just enjoy my game and customizing in Tailor. :tongue:

"Limited Freeform", using powers that you own from the AT you have, sounds okay, if the price is low or free. :biggrin:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@ZetBuster
  • valoreahvaloreah Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited December 2012

I had 23 level 50s in CoH before the lights went out. I leveled all of them from 1 to 50 solo unless running TFs or SFs. I teamed in CoH because I wanted to, not because I had to. CO is no different. I still team with friends and SG mates because it's fun to do so.

If I'm forced to team up, then I'll find another game where I'm not forced into teaming.
    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • perfect0777perfect0777 Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    get of freeform and i become a dc sidekick..as bad as that is..end of story
  • perfect0777perfect0777 Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    :biggrin:
    klitty wrote: »
    Hmmmm, I find this thread interesting, and here is my answer.

HowAboutNo.jpg

What's going to be your next suggestion? To drop the super hero theme and play "Common Office people online"??? Phffttt!!

i remember when P&P D&D had a cartoon with wizards and elves and such around a table and they were playing that great fantasy game "Papers & Paychecks"...LOL...I LOVED it...
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Long time forum users. Might better remember the OP under his old name of NotFamous.
    This is simply another instance of a long string of stupid, suggested by him. It wasn't all that long ago he suggested making CO a shooter like Mass Effect

Its simply best to ignore and move on. Some folks are immune to reason and logic
  • bloodx13bloodx13 Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I bought champions over three years ago for freeform,I subbed champions for freeform, I became a lifetimer of champions because i enjoyed the freeform. Champions slogan was be the hero you want to be not be one of these restricted picks we have for you.Champions was designed with freeform but before f2p we were just champions and had no label.

I'm really tired of alot of silver players(not all) using freeform like a cuss word. I understand everyone has different amounts of money they can use for games but don't be made at someone else for having the full game instead of buying a trial (AT). If you dont understand freeform rather it be how to use it or how it works in general just ask someone.

Too many people rage in game or make forum posts instead of just asking for help.No one in any game starts out an expert we all have to learn the game ether through playing or getting advice and sometimes both. Freeform can be frustrating cause if you want to push your builds it takes alot of meta gaming and math.

Part of the draw of champions is freeform and the ability to mix and match all the powers in the game to make your very own hero. Customization is one of the things that sets champions apart from other mmo's so why take some of that away? Subscriber and lifetimers have already had too many blows given to us with f2p and getting less and less for our money taking away freeform would be the last straw.

If you need help try ether CO Arena or CoPvP they can be very helpful.
  • skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    selphea wrote: »
    So they get Archetypes in the same worth of 50$.
    Champions Online is broken. As an experienced Freeformer you can create Builds
    near at Godmode. Why should i join or play in a team if my Hero is a DD/Tank and Healer and im leveling alone much faster?

The whole gameplay is just a mess.

That's not how it works. Giving people $50 worth of archetypes doesn't negate the fact it would be wrong, and invalidate any attempt at a lawsuit.

It's like being a car dealership, you don't just sell someone a very expensive car worth 1 million, then later take it back and give them $1million worth of cars they never even bought or wanted, and expect not to be sued for such stupid behaviour.

If they buy one car, clearly that's what they wanted, and have a right to expect to keep it without it suddenly being taken and turned into several cheaper cars to make up for the same value. What the hell will you do with so many cars?
  • caycepollardcaycepollard Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well, I think this thread has served its purpose.... Can we get a lock on this, or... y'know... Just forget it was ever even mentioned to begin with? It was a pretty bad idea, and this is coming from someone who admits that "freeforms are complicated". That, however, doesn't mean they need to be taken out of the game. Yeesh. :rolleyes:
  • logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    double-facepalm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.