test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

We Made A Top Ten List!

spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
Though your mileage may vary as to what sort of honor it is.

Hey TT, can we send this article up the chain as more fuel to the fire that Freeform slots might just be overpriced?
tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Not only did we make that list, we topped it.

Boy howdy.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    That's still good press.

Thanks, Massively.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Boy howdy.

We're number 1!
    We're number 1!
    We're number 1!
    We're number 1!
    We're number 1!
    We're number 1!
    We're number 1!
    . . .wait...ohhh...that's bad this time...poo.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,080 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Technically, there is a $68 item, but as written on the list ... yeah, first.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    How's a Freeform character for $58 placed above a single costume piece for $68?
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2012

A costume piece that is destroyed if you happen to be wearing it and get killed? You'd think that would be worse than the FF slot but the writer didn't seem to think so.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    $50 for a character slot that encourages making more characters is a lot more expensive than a monocle that can be passed around.
  • Options
    xaogarrentxaogarrent Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Cosmetics tend to get off easy because they don't usually effect gameplay in any manner.

Also, the monocle is very obviously a joke. While it's still ridiculous, it gets some leeway because of that. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't really expecting it to sell, and largely did this because "lol monopoly man."

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
  • Options
    lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Boy howdy.

YEAH WE MADE NUMBER 1 er....wait, the list is for bad overpriced cash grabs......well, at least...umm...we got press from them?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    xaogarrent wrote: »
    Cosmetics tend to get off easy because they don't usually effect gameplay in any manner.

Also, the monocle is very obviously a joke. While it's still ridiculous, it gets some leeway because of that. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't really expecting it to sell, and largely did this because "lol monopoly man."

I'm not sure what CCP was thinking with the monocle, probably for monopoly guy jokes like you said but the playerbase at the time gave it no leeway. It wasn't uncommon to find people forming fleets for the purpose of hunting down and podding anyone who had the monocle in their character portrait. It was THAT unpopular.
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    xaogarrent wrote: »

Unfortunately this^

The common perception in gaming is that customization doesn't matter and cash shop items are only bad if they're "pay to win". I've had this argument hundreds of times in other game boards (mostly Tera and TSW) and every time someone starts a thread about how cosmetic items are too ridiculously priced there someone has to pop in and remind us that cosmetic items dont affect gameplay so we're crying about nothing. According to them its perfectly ok that the customization crowd has to bear the brunt of financially supporting the company through extra purchases so long as competitive players don't have to pay a dime to do the same.

Still, I agree that FF slots are excessively priced here and are some of the most ridiculously priced cash shop items I have ever seen in a game. So are the Catalysts. Its unfortunate that Cryptic's cash shop had to become famous for their ridiculous prices on these particular items, when they have otherwise some of the best prices for almost everything else in the industry, particularly cosmetic items. No other game company (NONE!) charges less for cosmetic items than Cryptic, and they have reasonable prices for some of their serivices as well.

It's not the 1st time than Massively shows its lack of objectivity for Champs.
    Well, 50$ is something but compared to other mmos and how many bucks you need to gear one toon, etc... I heard some insane 2000+ $$ in a character oO
    So 50$ is rather reasonable... now if it was 25$, sure we may see more FF and maybe more players staying ingame?
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    That list is stupid. Typical of Massively.

$50 bucks for a freeform slot equals a lot more entertainment than $50 bucks for CoD.

It could be argued that spending $50 bucks for anything videogame related offline and on is a waste of money so their list is some what defeatist.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    lexdominolexdomino Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It's not the 1st time than Massively shows its lack of objectivity for Champs.
    Well, 50$ is something but compared to other mmos and how many bucks you need to gear one toon, etc... I heard some insane 2000+ $$ in a character oO
    So 50$ is rather reasonable... now if it was 25$, sure we may see more FF and maybe more players staying ingame?

Even that is too expensive.

Character slots are generally $10 in other games free to play games.

I don't think they're taking into consideration that there are competitors offering much lower prices.

When it comes to free to play you catch more flies with honey, and when your inventory is limitless it makes sense to just dump the honey all over the place for little of nothing.

The reason I don't buy anything in Guild Wars 2 is the price and their prices are much lower than this.

I've bought a lot from the C-store in the past few days but nothing was over $5 each. It's easier to get people to spend more online with small micro transactions than it is with large lump sums over $5.

Anything over $10 is a not so gentle reminder that we're buying things that aren't even real, essentially wasting a lot of money.
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Isn't this the same 'Massively' that Cryptic keeps getting/doing interviews with?

Well.

Cryptic, you're looking like the kid that ruined Christmas right now, because a lot of people don't like you.
  • Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    But... what about the Catalysts? >_>
  • Options
    holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    lexdomino wrote: »

Character slots are generally $10 in other games free to play games.(...)

Ahem, you're aware that here, you get 2 character slots for 1100 Zen (16 $) so that 8$ per slot...
  • Options
    akirasanbeerakirasanbeer Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    keikomyst wrote: »

No kidding. Absolutely NOTSUREIFSERIOUS-face inducing.
  • Options
    amarillonmcamarillonmc Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    keikomyst wrote: »

Actually I'm quite surprised to see Catalysts NOT on that list, since it's more expensive, and the costless way of getting your mod to R9... wait, is that even possible...?:rolleyes:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...the ultimate Contrast Moe (or not).
  • Options
    edited December 2012

And maybe less subscriptions...

Character slots are generally $10 in other games free to play games.

I don't think they're taking into consideration that there are competitors offering much lower prices.

When it comes to free to play you catch more flies with honey, and when your inventory is limitless it makes sense to just dump the honey all over the place for little of nothing.

The reason I don't buy anything in Guild Wars 2 is the price and their prices are much lower than this.

I've bought a lot from the C-store in the past few days but nothing was over $5 each. It's easier to get people to spend more online with small micro transactions than it is with large lump sums over $5.

Anything over $10 is a not so gentle reminder that we're buying things that aren't even real, essentially wasting a lot of money.

You can buy character slots here much cheaper than 10 bucks.

And note that a Freeform slot is also an extra slot for a character. It doesn't replace one you already have.

On top of that, this is a game that you can access all its content for free. Sure, $50 is the price of a new game, but you can play all of Champs for absolutely free.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Ahem, you're aware that here, you get 2 character slots for 1100 Zen (16 $) so that 8$ per slot...

Actually, less than that...

2 Character Slots cost 1400 Zen ($14) which is $7 per slot...

But I still don't have an issue with the $50 Freeform slot...
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Considering they put a horse that costs $25 from Blizzard so low on the list, and just to put it bluntly, they think ligers don't exist (not to mention the rather shady articles they have to begin with) I find it rather hilarious how they even came up with the list. Saying you only get a partial game for $50 bucks... in what way, that you can't color your powers?

Needless to say, Massively continues to prove why they are the laughing stock of the game journalism world, considering they keep sucking off at Blizzard's feet and pretty much snub their nose at everyone else.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ... they didn't say ligers didn't exist, they commented on it as a Napolean Dynamite joke, and 'partial game' in that you get ONE character slot rather than potentially infinite numbers with a Gold subscription (plus all the gold advantages that a silver with a FF slot wouldn't get, including power coloring and emanation points).

It seems a lot of people are being defensive about the game, when just about anyone you ask who actually likes CO thinks the FF slots are absurdly overpriced and gouging.

(Although, personally, I mind things like high price server transfers and the like to be much more annoying)
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I thought SW:TOR's pay hotbars (#6 on the list) should have ranked far higher, possibly #1.

Let me get this straight - you say you're going Free To Play, that I can now make a character (with, obviously, certain limitations) without having to buy a sub - but if I want to use the UI as the designers intended, I have to shell out extra cash???

Yeah, I personally find that far more egregious than letting me play the entire game for free, and only restricting what sort of character I'm allowed to make...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    zahinder wrote: »
    It seems a lot of people are being defensive about the game, when just about anyone you ask who actually likes CO thinks the FF slots are absurdly overpriced and gouging.

That sounds like hyperbole. Have you asked around for people who have bought them? I bet it's more than you think.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Considering they put a horse that costs $25 from Blizzard so low on the list *snip*

You mean 3rd place in a list of 10 items where the 1st and 2nd ranked characters cost $50 and $68 dollars respectively? Yeah, that does seem pretty low... NOT :rolleyes:
    Saying you only get a partial game for $50 bucks... in what way, that you can't color your powers?

No, in the way that it grants a power option for a single character in a game that has far more in it development-wise than just that power option.
    That sounds like hyperbole. Have you asked around for people who have bought them? I bet it's more than you think.

While I do think the list is unorganized, "People buy them" isn't the greatest defense for over priced items. It's like telling a cop you were speeding "because I can".
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    People will buy stuff they believe is overpriced and gouging. This vastly increases their likelihood of frustration, burn out, and saying 'f this game' and never spending anything else because they aren't playing any more.

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    seismeca wrote: »
    While I do think the list is unorganized, "People buy them" isn't the greatest defense for over priced items. It's like telling a cop you were speeding "because I can".

Oh I hope this doesn't start a "no, it's more like this..." analogy war.

People buying them is proof that they're priced right, is what I was saying. You can't deny that. If they were overpriced, nobody would buy them, and Cryptic wouldn't make money off them.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Hundreds ask for the freeform slot in threads past.

Freeform slot arrives, it's rejected by some because it's not exactly like being a gold subscriber.

Note that it's purchased with zen, not a credit card transaction. It is possible for you to obtain it with about 2,000,000 Questionite(turned into zen while 1zen=200Q) and never pay Cryptic a single cent.

Why should it be as fully featured as a direct vote of confidence, the monthly subscription, or a major upfront infusion of money per capita that pays for itself after about a year's time and increases production budget in a burst? These two things are money that Cryptic can count on as a business, not Zen.

A product from the Z store you can grind Q for, ending in partial or no profit? That is not sure money, and money makes a studio go 'round with publisher's confidence in the product's ability to make money.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I don't really pay attention to Massively.
    Most of the stuff written there about CO is, well.... the words speak themselves.
    Like the comparision of character creator in CO and DCUO. Yea, DCUO looks pretty....
    But i guess any kind of publicity is publicity. Good or bad.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Oh I hope this doesn't start a "no, it's more like this..." analogy war.

People buying them is proof that they're priced right, is what I was saying. You can't deny that. If they were overpriced, nobody would buy them, and Cryptic wouldn't make money off them.

I think they are priced Juuuuust right...course I am a Lifer so i would never have to buy one, so i am a little biased.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Regardless of how many people buy FF slots at the listed price of $50, and how many people on the boards plow on with the argument that $50 for a FF slot is somehow a good price when compared to the price of paying a montly sub my feeling on the current price of FF slots is and shall always be, the same as what one guy posted in LoTRO board in regards to the item that inspired this article:
    For $50 I can think of better ways to have fun. Say, purchasing a video game. One whole, brand new video game.

Exactly^
    Personally, I think CCP should have responded to the monocle thing with a gold belt buckle that costs $500k and f you, that's why.

Really. It's a monocle. Don't like it, don't get it.

(My ire is reserved for things that feel necessary but are expensive, or things that are overpowered/pay to win)

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Regardless of how many people buy FF slots at the listed price of $50, and how many people on the boards plow on with the argument that $50 for a FF slot is somehow a good price when compared to the price of paying a montly sub my feeling on the current price of FF slots is and shall always be, the same as what one guy posted in LoTRO board in regards to the item that inspired this article:

Exactly^

You know, this argument also works in favor of the $50 price of Freeform. What if Champs is somewhere on the top of the list of your favorite games? You could buy a brand-new game with that money, or you could enjoy Champs with a freeform character for that money.

For instance, I bought Guild Wars 2 for 60 bucks. I played it for a few weeks (not even a month) before I got bored with it. If I was silver and spent that money on a Freeform slot, that sure as hell would have been worth my $50 bucks a lot more than Guild Wars 2 was.

Champs is a game I've played for years now, and has been around the top of my game list almost the whole time. Guild Wars 2 lasted less than a month for me.

Something to chew on.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Thing is, I can subscribe to Champions Online for about $5 a month. That's 10 months of having 10+ freeform characters, stipends, and lots of other stuff.

I suppose if you absolutely have no interest in more than one ff character, those other elements, and really value having access to a ff powerset for the duration of the game, it makes sense.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Being worth $50 is different than being worth 5000 Zen.

The first is a direct profit, real money. They will always make $50 every time a silver player obtains a freeform slot.

The second is uncertain, and may net partial profit, or none at all, due to the Questionite Exchange.

Giving power coloring to a Zen store product would be a financial liability. Playing a game for x hours, days, and weeks, does not make a guaranteed cent to the publisher or the studio.

That said, how about making power coloration a benefit that unlocks after you transfer a certain number of zen to CO from your zen wallet? That ties the benefit to spending real money or completing peanutlabs surveys, which results in financial gain.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Champs is a game I've played for years now, and has been around the top of my game list almost the whole time. Guild Wars 2 lasted less than a month for me.

Something to chew on.

Sure, if one likes a game then it's worth spending money into this game but does it mean 50$ is objectively the best pricing for the FF slot?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    You know, this argument also works in favor of the $50 price of Freeform. What if Champs is somewhere on the top of the list of your favorite games? You could buy a brand-new game with that money, or you could enjoy Champs with a freeform character for that money.

For instance, I bought Guild Wars 2 for 60 bucks. I played it for a few weeks (not even a month) before I got bored with it. If I was silver and spent that money on a Freeform slot, that sure as hell would have been worth my $50 bucks a lot more than Guild Wars 2 was.

Something to chew on.

If I enjoyed Champs that much I would do what I already did LONG before I blow $50 for a single FF slot without power coloring--I would buy 16 potentially infinite (+1 for every toon I lv to 40) FF slots with power coloring and a buncha other options (including the ability to make freeform characters with every single character slot I ever buy at $14 per two slots) for just 6 times that amount (i.e. I would buy a LTS). And the fact that you personally did not enjoy GW2 doesn't change the fact that you can buy a whole new game for roughly $50 (or that GW2 is freaking awesome a lots of people liked it even if you didn't :tongue:).
    If CO had some of the same content and gameplay as GW2... wow. I'd give them SO MUCH MONEY. (Could you imagine a map nearly as big? Dynamic events? Some version of wvw??? IN a superhero game? TAKE ALL MY MONIES)

• Options
    edited December 2012
    I think the best compromise here is if Cryptic grants people who have transferred 5000 zen to Champions Online from their Zen Wallet power coloring.

If Cryptic has the ability to meter such a thing, and if they have done it since Zen Wallet functionality began, this should retroactively grant power coloring, and will serve as an reachable functionality to those who did the q-grind, and an immediate grant if someone purchased the zen(or did Peanutlabs surveys. Peanutlabs pays PWE for those.) to buy the slot.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    zahinder wrote: »
    If CO had some of the same content and gameplay as GW2... wow. I'd give them SO MUCH MONEY. (Could you imagine a map nearly as big? Dynamic events? Some version of wvw??? IN a superhero game? TAKE ALL MY MONIES)

I've been thinking the same thing ever since I started playing GW2 about a month ago. And some Heroes vs. Villains WvWvW would be freaking AWESOME.

Also, I wish they'd scale open missions to character level here (scary monster tech maybe) so we could use them as some sort of Dynamic events at all levels.
    Sure, if one likes a game then it's worth spending money into this game but does it mean 50$ is objectively the best pricing for the FF slot?

"Best pricing" is debatable to us. Take a look at Cryptic's books for a definitive answer.
    If I enjoyed Champs that much I would do what I already did LONG before I blow $50 for a single FF slot without power coloring--I would buy 16 potentially infinite (for every toon I lv to 40) FF slots with power coloring and a buncha other options (including the ability to make freeform characters with every single character slot I ever buy at $14 per two slots) for just 6 times that amount (i.e. I would buy a LTS). And the fact that you personally did not enjoy GW2 doesn't change the fact that you can buy a whole new game for roughly $50 (or that GW2 is freaking awesome a lots of people liked it even if you didn't :tongue:).

I never said it was a bad game, just that I didn't enjoy it too much. At first it was great, I was playing it over Champs. I spent a bunch of money on gems - character slots, vanity gear, all that junk. But it only lasted three weeks for me, then I found it terribly boring. Yes, other people like the game. Good for them.

My point wasn't about Guild Wars 2 in any way, it's just the most recent game I've bought that I dropped in that quick of a turnaround. Yes, I can buy a million other games for $50 bucks, but that doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy them over playing Champions.

As for buying a Lifetime subscription, there's plenty of people that just can't afford to drop that much money on a game all at once. I know a few people that have subscribed since launch and would love to go Lifetime, but they can't afford it.

So, fifty bucks for a mini-lifetime subscription, I still think is not too bad, especially, as Brou brought up, you can pad that cost with as much in-game currency as you're willing to grind out.

If you've got access to the surveys, even easier. I made 30 bucks' worth of Zen on those in a week... I'd only have to pay 20 bucks for that Freeform.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Seeing as I got my FF slot for free I don't feel I have much right to argue.. BUT I wouldn't pay $50 for one knowing that getting it i'd still have to buy MORE things in the store later just to enjoy said slot.

Then again.. I paid over $400 for Catalysts so .. my opinion may very well be voided.

After paying for over 1000 days of subscriptions and likely over $1000 of C-Store.. I am not playing the game.. at all. They got my money but not my real investment, time.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The section regarding CO's Freeform slot is poorly informed. Justin Olivetti, the article writer (I hope you read this) failed to mention three important points regarding the Freeform slot:

1) You don't make a direct purchase of $50 to get the Freeform slot. The slot is purchased using ZEN points that are in turn obtained from an actual monetary transaction.

2) There is an ingame resource called Questionite that can be earned in various ways and it can be converted into ZEN points.

3) Players are given every opportunity to discount the $50 price with the Questionite-to-ZEN exchange if they wanted, provided if they want to invest time and effort in doing so and don't want the slot right away.

Failure to mention these important points suggests to anyone reading the article who isn't familiar with CO that people are expected to pay a static $50 upfront to get the slot. It's blatant misinformation. But then again, if Mr. Olivetti were truly honest about facts, it would have compromised the validity of CO's entry in that top ten list. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he's just ignorant and has researched poorly. Either way it's bad journalism.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    LOTRO also lets you earn Turbine Points through in-game activities.

But, realistically, the amount of time used to make a serious dent in a $50 purchase is... pretty negligable.

You'd be better off earning money from ... anything (selling a couch, I don't know... anything). Take a lot less time and effort.

Arguably it may be incomplete, but blatant misinformation is a great exaggeration.

• Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    there are competitors offering much lower prices.

I'm not so sure about that. You can get a freeform slot for free. In order for a competitor to offer a character slot for less they would have to pay you to accept one.
    seismeca wrote: »

Actually its the best defense possible. By definition something is not overpriced if the market bears that price.

The only people with access to the sales numbers in order to determine the answer to that question are the very people choosing to keep the price where it is at, read as much or as little into that as you like.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    There is no such thing as "objective value" for an intangible object. A Freeform slot has no intrinsic value, separate from its use in-game. Its value is entirely subjective; and apparently enough people find it subjectively worth 5000 Zen that Cryptic has not lowered the price.

For $50, I could buy, say, Halo 4 for my XBox. And there's no way I'd still be playing it two years later, especially without paying any sub fees. (The Halo games' only real replayability lies in online multiplayer - which requires subscribing to XBox Live Gold.) OTOH, for $50 I could buy a Freeform slot, which I could re-use if I decided to delete the old toon and make a new one, and which I could then play in the online game from now until shutdown without giving Cryptic another penny.

I fail to see the comparison, really.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    There is no such thing as "objective value" for an intangible object.

In general this is true of tangible objects as well.

A $5.99 bottle of imported fashionably branded and packaged drinking water might be worth its weight in flawless diamonds to a man who is dying of thirst...but paying six bucks for a drink of water is silly to me.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    xaogarrentxaogarrent Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ashensnow wrote: »
    In general this is true of tangible objects as well.

A $5.99 bottle of imported fashionably branded and packaged drinking water might be worth its weight in flawless diamonds to a man who is dying of thirst...but paying six bucks for a drink of water is silly to me.

Except it extends further when it comes to digital goods as the cost of producing the actual "item" in question is practically non-existent, meaning that once you've made back R&D costs you're pulling in what is nearly pure profit.

I don't agree with the conclusions Jon Sills draws here (Not Beeg Sooprise), and instead I present this; VALVe abuses this concept regularly with their steam sales, by dropping items to astronomically low prices in order to rake in a market that they wouldn't be getting money from normally. Because the R&D is payed off by this point, there is little to no downside to pricing things at an extremely accessible level once you've made your initial investment back and maxed out most of the profits you can make off early investors and impulse buyers.

If it seemed crazy they'd sell Left 4 Dead 2 for... I think it was 7 bucks? Well, it's not. It's actually quite brilliant.

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
This discussion has been closed.