test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

To All Of Us COH Refugees Who Now Have A New Home

errandrunnererrandrunner Posts: 21 Arc User
A lot of times on the COX channel, I hear how CO doesn't compare to COH in this area and that area. Though I agree with some of them (and I can list a few myself), I wanted to look on the positive side of the differences. So for all those who are COH refugees, what are some things that you find better in this game than COH (not better as in CO is better than COH but better as in CO does this differently than COH and I like it better this way). I'll start off with a couple that I've noticed:

Teliport: My goodness is it so much easier to use here. In COH, you activate it, click where you want to go, you TP there, then you have to start the process over again. Though it is good in some situations, as a travel power, it was annoying (especially how it eats up your endurance). TP in CO is amazing! You vanish right on the spot and then have a few seconds to go to any spot you want. You then phase back in and can TP out quickly since when you phase in, you are somewhat stealth. It also doesn't use energy so you can cross the entire MC without resting.

Customize UI: Unlike in COH, you don't have to go to the talor to customize your powers. You can just go to your power listing and customize them there

So, anyone else would like to point out differences between the games that you have enjoyed?
Post edited by errandrunner on

Comments

• Options
    valasquavalasqua Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    1) You can have a hideout! I always wanted something like that in CoX.
    2) You don't have to go to the trainer to get new powers/upgrades when you level.
    3) Your travel powers are separate from your other power picks.

Also, I don't have a level 25 character yet, but I'm really looking forward to trying out the nemesis system.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited September 2012
    Don't hold your breath at nemesis system.
    Sadly, it's bugged beyond understanding.
  • Options
    arblaquearblaque Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The nemesis system though bugged right now is a nice difference from CoX. I thoroughly like it for what it is. I remember making my nem toons in CoV before CO.
    Formerly known as NewAgeKnight in the Forums of old.
  • Options
    therealtedtherealted Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Freeform character design. I can finally make a streetwise detective who can brawl and fire a gun, or a former thief who is all about martial arts and gadgets (without being a one-trick pony like Stalkers were).

Granted, that third superhero MMO has more character design flexibility than CoH as well, but has the fewest options all round out of the bunch.
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    therealted wrote: »
    Freeform character design. I can finally make a streetwise detective who can brawl and fire a gun, or a former thief who is all about martial arts and gadgets (without being a one-trick pony like Stalkers were).

Granted, that third superhero MMO has more character design flexibility than CoH as well, but has the fewest options all round out of the bunch.

Have you actually set foot ingame, or managed to unlock the full costume creator?

Cause I'll tell you now, DCUO has nothing on CO.
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    bluedarky wrote: »
    Have you actually set foot ingame, or managed to unlock the full costume creator?

Cause I'll tell you now, DCUO has nothing on CO.

He wasnt saying it did, he actually stated it had the fewest options all around. All he said was that it had more than CoH.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    bwdares wrote: »
    He wasnt saying it did, he actually stated it had the fewest options all around. All he said was that it had more than CoH.

no, I don't agree. when you take into account pool powers, patrons/epics, craftable temps, day job powers, and incarnates, what in dc compares? you get a weapon set, a travel power set, and a split variation of a power set, and finally a "patron" powers selection. I felt dcou was more restrictive in every way than coh , the costume creator was intensely limited, there still is a dearth of powersets even after the addition of electricity, hard-light, and earth. and had issue 24 come to pass, things were even getting better with the origin pools and the expanded pools

as for things I like about coh. freeform powers are nice, I'm glad they gave more options for martial artists, and one thing I really like about co is "lunge" attacks like thunderous leap(though the animation, its not that good) for melee players, they help flow between mobs and are great for tagging runners without forcing ranged attacks that are outside of a character's concept.
  • Options
    therealtedtherealted Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    bwdares wrote: »
    I should have been clearer. DCUO's separation of powers vs. weapons allows character types that aren't really possible in CoH (even with power pools and inventions), but both CoH and CO beat DCUO hands down in terms of choices in character development and customization.
  • Options
    kangstorkangstor Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I really tried hard to think something I like better in CO than CoH as you mentioned but couldn't find something outstanding. Maybe and just maybe ability to exchange an ingame currency to money bought one is the only thing I can think off (questionite to zen conversion)

Being that said I don't say CO is a bad game it is actually pretty decent just if CoH was not gongi closure I wouldn't ever return to CO despite having a lifetime since beta.

I checked game when On Alert came out once but I found especially mod and fusion system a total rip off. I could make certain items with my crafting before on alert and I could set different type of bonuses on some of them. My toon was equiped with items that I crafted myself and I was not even griding for materials at all. I could wear two secondary gear instead of one for all three slots which was making variations more easy and fun than current system. I wish they will bring backold crafting system in addition to current mod system but I guess it is just a wishful thinking.

So I think it was old crafting system I would prefer against CoH's invetion system.
  • Options
    n3thergoatn3thergoat Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Two things in CO superior to CoH:

* It deals with mez much better.
    Banging on your Z key > sitting around waiting for the timer to expire, unless you have a break free.

* The Alert! system is great.
    The queue works, the missions are basic & quick and it's a great way to get in a quick team run when you only have a few minutes.
  • Options
    bashannubashannu Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    In no particular order:

Hideouts. I always wished there was an equivalent to this in CoH. Granted you could make a solo SG base and use that (which I did), but it didn't have the same feel to it as here.

Freeform character building. This honestly is the biggest draw of CO for me.

While I know many long time CoH vets don't like the art style over here, I love the costume creator all to pieces. The ability to make asymmetrical costumes and the extra body "points" on the character models is very nice.

Remote training. Some recent arrivals from CoH may not realize this, but that's actually a fairly new feature. We used to have to go all the way back to a Power House to train. Nevertheless we have it now and I love it.

Travel powers. I like the variety we have, and the fact they don't eat up a power pick. And we get two of 'em!

The Power Armor framework. The first time I loaded up my PA character Ordnance I giggled. From the animations to the style of powers in the set I finally feel like I have a true power armor character.

And finally, names. Thanks to the naming system in CO naming a character is not some arduous task involving a thesaurus. I'm honestly surprised more MMO's haven't adopted a feature like this. Yes it means it is possible for me to run into someone else with the same name, but honestly I don't care. My character gets the name I wanted, guaranteed.
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I like the changes in power armor on the wrist guns. previously they didnt really look like they were doing much damage, now they look much more substantial, kudos there, huge improvement.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    kangstor wrote: »
    I really tried hard to think something I like better in CO than CoH as you mentioned but couldn't find something outstanding....*snip*

I will help you with that one.

Fingers we have fingers here.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    I will help you with that one.

Fingers we have fingers here.

And proper arms instead of seal appendages:wink:
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Moonbase.

I have an inappropriate giddiness over the growth powers, especially the potentialities of stacking them. I am sad that the one you spend $9 of real cash to buy doesn't work in combat, that's pure lose right there. But enrage's free growth and the minimizer gadget thingy are pure win and letting them stack is even more win and the fact that the growth option is totally free and you don't have to sacrifice any effectiveness to do it is game over that developer won everyone else can give up and stop trying now.

Knock TOWARD. This is really fun. God I wish CoX had copied that instead of only using knock AWAY.

The sliders in the character generator are mostly better here. The body mass slider is confusing as after 50% going "more" makes your torso bigger and your legs smaller. o.O I don't get that. And the mouth slider again after 50% just changes shape doesn't actually get bigger. But most of the others are very much better. Only other limit is you can't get as short or as tall by default, have to use powers and those are only temporary.

Women with muscles. YAY!

Hideouts act like a personal supergroup so you can share stuff between your alts safely even if they are in another supergroup for socializing. Frikkin' genious.

Multiple different styles of Moonbase.

The Zen to Questionite exchange is a nice idea. It allows players who have cash but not time to get cool stuff by giving the cash to poor players who do have time and they can then get different cool stuff. I think the prices are out of whack, but the concept itself is solid.

Voice acting.

Cutscenes that use a combo of still frames in comic book fashion, voices, and in-game emotes. Generally well done, and a unique experience that blends good stuff from comic books and video into something new.

I think that Aftershock might be better than any Taskforce in CoX. Especially the bit where you actually interact with NPCs via local chat. And how they remember earlier plot choices (ripper trusts you if you were honorable to other viper units earlier and doesn't if you weren't). Plus the creepy factor is way up there.

Monster Island and Lemuria.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Monster Island and Lemuria.

OMFG! A second person who likes Lemuria!

*sniff*

I've been so lonely.
    edited September 2012
    Vehicles FTW.
  • Options
    sidreussidreus Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Freeform. You can make your own character. It does it with such freedom, you don't have to be class/role/AT X to use powers you like.

Nemesis system is another good thing. As they are part of your heroic experience, I see nemeses as semi-PCs. So you have more than one characters created during a toon's life.

Adventure Packs and Comic Series; other than they written and designed so good, you can solo them easily. Yes CoH has Task Forces and Trials which I love but either you can't solo them or need to find people to help you start them.

Travel Powers. DCUO migh have some nifty Travel Power design but CO truimphs both DCUO and CoH with variety of travel powers. Bat Flight, Ooze Tunneling, Rainbow Flight, Rocket Boots, Swinging... we have a travel power for every concept.

Last one is more of a personal taste. CO character models looks very nice... talking about male ones. Still have hard time with female faces but males rock. Only thing CC lacks for male characters is sexiness slider from Saint Rows the Third. :eek: :biggrin:
  • Options
    carlasimone2carlasimone2 Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'd played this game before for a while, and left to return to Paragon for a bit. Coming back again, two things have really stood out for me.

Superstrength and storytelling.

Superstrength (probably the second most iconic superpower after flight) works way better here in Millenium City. I enjoyed playing my SS/Fire Brute in City of Heroes a great deal.

But playing the same character with Might here made me realise how old that powerset was, with its over-reliance on Footstomping enemies into submission.
    The wind up and delivery of a Roomsweeper, and the resulting knockback, is a joy to behold. And picking up and throwing heavy vehicles is kind of cool too :)

The adventure packs and the storytelling in them is excellent too. I played through Whiteout the other day, and it felt more like a comic than any CoX taskforce. I loved the giant Sasquatch for example. And having my Nemesis turn up was a real treat! I seem to spend more time here fighting one or two powerful enemies instead of beating up hordes of minions.
  • Options
    perfect0777perfect0777 Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    what i like..i like size modifiers..finally my toon CHINA can be the size she deserves to be...blasters actually survive and do quite well in this game...i like having a lair...i miss masterminds though..my toon moll cant lead her gang here...sigh
  • Options
    perfect0777perfect0777 Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    also freeform toons..cant believe i forgot that..it cost me a fortune but finally having my toon CONTROLLED FORCE be all she can be..it is VERY nice
  • Options
    pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    what i like..i like size modifiers..finally my toon CHINA can be the size she deserves to be...blasters actually survive and do quite well in this game...i like having a lair...i miss masterminds though..my toon moll cant lead her gang here...sigh

Sure she can, there's summon devices where you can summon baddies, including but not limited to the New Purple Gang.

They're limited use, sure, but you can do it.
  • Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i miss masterminds though..my toon moll cant lead her gang here...sigh

You can build a pet controller type class here. It's a bit tricky and requires dipping into a number of different power sets. But it can be done.

You'll get the most pets by going with some sort of arcane/magic theme. But there's a number of them in the Gagetiering set as well.

Doing a quick look at the Powerhouse, I came up with a build that had 9 different summons powers. Some controlled, some uncontrolled, and I believe you can have most if not all of them out at the same time.

Not sure how many total pets that would be, but at least some of them summon more then one pet, so you'd see 12 or more pets at one time, I believe.
  • Options
    ktm1ktm1 Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    cptvanor wrote: »
    You can build a pet controller type class here. It's a bit tricky and requires dipping into a number of different power sets. But it can be done.

You'll get the most pets by going with some sort of arcane/magic theme. But there's a number of them in the Gagetiering set as well.

Doing a quick look at the Powerhouse, I came up with a build that had 9 different summons powers. Some controlled, some uncontrolled, and I believe you can have most if not all of them out at the same time.

Not sure how many total pets that would be, but at least some of them summon more then one pet, so you'd see 12 or more pets at one time, I believe.

i believe his/her concern is getting all thugs.. sadly theres no humanesque controllable pets in game... that is except for sidekicks. if you have the G they sometimes sell in the auction house, or the zen, they sell for (i think) around 160-200 zen in the c-store. Hardy Davidson would fit the bill for that i think
    space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    ktm1 wrote: »
    i believe his/her concern is getting all thugs..

True. But if the poster wanted to play a Mastermind type, and the concept was open there is ways to do a pet class in CO, even though there's no AT or real framework for Pet Controller.
  • Options
    helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, a Mastermind-type of character is certainly more on the villainy side of things (hence its inclusion in CoV rather than CoH), so it's not a theme you are likely to see here presently.
  • Options
    xgcoxgco Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    As a former CoH player from way back when I just want to say welcome to all the refugees from CoH, I hope you can find some friends and funtimes here in CO. :D
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm probably going to get flameblasted, but I'm starting to like CO a little better than COH. The costume create feature is insanely good. Once you figure out how it works, anything is possible.

And the Freeform system is just nuts! I can't believe it's even allowed. Almost any concept from the comics can be re-created. This includes an almost overwhelming selection of travel powers.

I was a little annoyed with the lack of Free Respecs before level 40. Until I learned you can farm yourself some resources and use those to retcon your toon.

Also, there's the matter of vastness and diversity. I like the different climates and environments I've seen so far (Desert, Jungle, & Winter). COH had a tendency for Zones to be either "light" or "Dark".

I'd like to see a Plant Control powerset added to the game. And I do hope that the control sets get some love. Most of the community seems to have a "Tank & Spank" mentality. But I'm seeing COX refugees doing some crazy fun stuff (pet builds for example). Of course there's issues in this game. But every MMO has issues and bugs.

Overall I'm excited and loving every minute of playing here.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Actually, it's pretty easy to be a pet type with ff, and some folks go nuts with it.
    What's nice is that you can do one or many... I had a heavy weapon angel type with an angel companion.

Lots of cool themes possible, though 'people' isn't available as powers. (Oddly)
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    valasquavalasqua Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'd like to see a Plant Control powerset added to the game.

I'm hoping to see that eventually, too. And maybe a Staff powerset as well. (I loved my Staff/Energy brute.)
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    In the builds there are some ideas on pulling off power sets that don't exist.

For plants, shadow embrace is a great vine-like attack, grasping shadows does a decent 'roots' effect. I also think Earth's Fissure ability looks intriguing when tinged green.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    oneheadedboyoneheadedboy Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So for all those who are COH refugees, what are some things that you find better in this game than COH (not better as in CO is better than COH but better as in CO does this differently than COH and I like it better this way). I'll start off with a couple that I've noticed:

Customize UI: Unlike in COH, you don't have to go to the talor to customize your powers. You can just go to your power listing and customize them there

So, anyone else would like to point out differences between the games that you have enjoyed?

First, amen to teleport. It's pretty sweet. Also, amen to the power customization, and ditto for training. It's nice not to have to go to an Arbiter/Hero to train up and customize my powers.

What I've really liked about CO is how much more fun the game environment is. Not the social environment, just strictly the game. I love how comic booky and campy CO is, from the graphics to the voice acting to the worlds. It really is a beautiful, well designed game with a very high production value, but I'm really fond of the fact that it doesn't appear to take its lore too seriously.

COH suffered from that often, and funnily enough, how seriously COH lore took itself inspired some of my least favorite subsidiary groups within the COH community. Champions is just fun, and that's awesome.

I also love the wealth of customization options. I mean, the travel powers are way cooler here. Swinging!? Hell yeah! I like the general idea of the free form build system a lot, following the same train of thought. It just provides a wealth of customization without restriction, and that's awesome to me.

Next, and probably most importantly to me, is the combat system. Being able to actively break free from mez is something I've always wanted and even suggested in COH. I also love the charge up mechanic, an attack doing more damage the more you charge it, and the powers that drain your energy as you keep them active. Plus, blocking. And having your blocks return energy.

It's just a much more active combat system, rather than COH combat which is essentially played on a spreadsheet (not that I have anything against that... I'm pretty awesome at COH combat.) It's just a nice change of pace, and it feels much more active and much less premeditated to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Try a gamepad and play with the control options.

I like changing my EB to maintain, and turning on "melee can ignore target." Smash things without having to tab.

Takes the game to a whole new world and makes targeting less painful.
  • Options
    ussnighthawkussnighthawk Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The amount of travel powers is pretty much all I can find that I enjoy about CO over CoX. Personal hideouts are nice in that you don't need an SG for one, and I like that you can do a lot of stuff in them like change your costume, access account banks and the crime computer. However, once I got the hang of base building in CoX I really started to enjoy it, and wish we could have that level (or better of customization) for the hideouts here.

Can't say much for everything else though; just not a fan of the combat system, art/animations, or all the camp. The Nemesis System could be much better beyond the bugs, and CO really could benefit from the Foundry. I've said it before, but the Foundry is the only reason I log into STO anymore.

That's not to say this game is bad. It's enjoyable enough for me to hop in occasionally, and probably will be my new home, there's just not much I find better than CoX. CoX >>>>>>> CO >>>>>>DCUO (and by all appearances...) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MUO

No relation to "the" Nighthawk.

Refugee from Paragon City. :(

[SIGPIC]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z297/MetalRacer78/FacesOfNighthawk-ForumSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    grifvindhgrifvindh Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    There's a lot about CO that I'm really starting to like.

1. Flight is a lot more fun in this game than it was in CoH. Movement powers in general, with the exception of superjump which was more fun in CoX, but that's ok. I like that you can have two travel powers by 35.

2. Combat is pretty fun in CO, and pretty much every "role" in game can contribute meaningfully to it. Tanks in CO aren't dps machines but they can wade in and actively participate in hurting things while also tanking and that is awesome.

3. Freeform is quite cool.

4. The costume creator has some really great stuff in it. The duster is what I always wanted CoH trenchcoats to be. The trenchcoat has open and closed versions. Takes a while to get used to the sliders though, and colors in the costume creator don't line up to the way they look in game.

5. Honestly, guys, I don't see the camp coming through as loud as a lot of people. I mean, it's definitely there. There's the Big Trouble in Little China reference, there's the Ron Burgundy reference. The Purple Gang is a mafia gang that wears purple. That's all a little silly. The titles of missions are all puns. But the missions themselves aren't horrible. What they aren't are the later-era mission arcs you got in CoH, but you know what? For the first three years of CoH you didn't really get those either. Anyway, the missions overall aren't horrible. They just don't grab me by throat and shake (I miss the Praetorian arcs...)

Overall I think CO is fun. There are some things about it I really don't care for (I don't like gear modding at all. I don't like that I can't have more than one chat tab visible at a time) but I'm already online and playing more than I should. It's starting to interfere with other things I should be doing instead. :)

I was @Curveball in City of Heroes.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    grifvindh wrote: »

4. The costume creator has some really great stuff in it. The duster is what I always wanted CoH trenchcoats to be. The trenchcoat has open and closed versions. Takes a while to get used to the sliders though, and colors in the costume creator don't line up to the way they look in game.

there is an option in video tab that states "raise settings in tailor" these improve the graphic settings to a better level so you see more detail and better color at the tailor than you do in open game world. you have two fixes to make it so there is no discrepency.

1. turn OFF the raise settings option for the tailor so it looks the same as the open world.

2. find the video options that are resulting in a lessened appearance in open world and increase them (if your computer can handle it AND remember may require restart). lighting and reflection options as well as detail sliders and anti alaising, view high detail objects option.... etc. theres quite a few options that may be affecting it.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    grifvindh wrote: »
    The Purple Gang is a mafia gang that wears purple.

Just a tidbit of FYI...

The New Purple Gang is actually based on a real world gang in Detroit from the 20's called the Purple Gang, hence the New part of the name.

Purple Gang

Also in the Elvis song Jailhouse Rock there's the line "The whole rhythm section was the Purple Gang"
  • Options
    kobolt1kobolt1 Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yup getting a lil' bit of a hook for the game myself...really like the look of the game, love the comic book feel and the char. creator is pretty sweet just alotta stuff to get used to.

I love the "new" Kobolt look and already getting a couple of ideas for a DA artist to do my "new" Kobolt look lol...and the freeform is very nice always wanted Kobolt to have both elec. and ice powers and in CO he can have a balance of both or go with one more then the other.

I can play him like something that is powered by more than one source of power a hybrid to generate electricity for ice...kinda like a frige lol (just new ideas and possiblities).

Yup gonna be calling CO my home for sometime.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mr. Universe: From here to the eyes and the ears of the 'Verse, that's my motto, or it might be if I start having a motto. ~ Serenity

@Kobolt
    My DA Page
    The Legion
  • Options
    c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    pion01 wrote: »
    Try a gamepad and play with the control options.

I like changing my EB to maintain, and turning on "melee can ignore target." Smash things without having to tab.

Takes the game to a whole new world and makes targeting less painful.

Pion is 100% correct. Whilst I don't use a gamepad, the two options make a huge difference to the ease and flow of the game. The 'melee can ignore target option' is very handy if you have mixed melee and ranged powers.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    borg10f9borg10f9 Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I spent 3 years playing CoH, and 1 1/2 years so far, and let me say that for me, I never looked back to CoH (except to miss the awesome community there).

I started playing CoH to attempt to live out the comic book characters. CoH did that for me, until I played CO. CO's characters just feel more "heroic'. Some of it is the physics, some of it's the the powers, some of it's the costumes, some of it's the ability to build to your theme so well.

The Super Jump feels like jumping, not like flying up then down. CO's freeform allows me to create a unique character, whereas in CoH I could only create a character from a template, limiting my options, and making me feel 'clone-ish'. The costume options are all that really separate you from all the other Willpower/SS tanks in the game, at least until you get some IO's slotted.

The power enhancement system is so much easier now with the mods. CoH's token/slot system took a while to understand, and wound up making me grind and grind for hours to try and improve my character. Here, I spend my time playing whatever I choose, and don't feel gimped for not grinding all the time. Comparatively, I spend so little time tweaking my toons... and more time kickin' tail!

Although not as large as CoH's costume choices, CO's selection is still quite large, and is continually getting larger. Champions has fewer but better choices.

Graphics! City Of Heroes was behind the graphics curve from the beginning, and it's only been in the last 2 years that they improved it any. But even with the re-freshening of most zones, it felt less immersive, withe buildings being repeated all over the place. CO has much more variation, lending a more realistic feel.

More integration: I love how CO has everyone on one "server" as opposed to having several. And having more than 50 people on one instance is great for Costume Contests etc.

Cooler travel powers: Swinging? Multiple themed varieties of flying including rocket boots? Tunneling? Love 'em all!

You get a 2nd travel power of your choice at level 35. Because, ya know, sometimes one travel power simply isn't enough for a themed character.

In CoH's favor: I liked the Teleport power better in CoH. It felt like teleporting should feel. CO's TP is like flying invisibly for a few short moments. I also miss the variety of Task and Strike Forces, creating my own missions in AE, and the awesome Supergroup base we had. Teaming seemed simpler, and many of the teams were epic! And the of course the best thing was the people on protector, which though small in number were big hearted and loads of fun.

I went back to CoH the other day to 'say goodbye'. I had many fond memories, many epic battles, but I had no desire to stay (even if there were more than 12 people on the Protector Server). City Of Heroes was a good game, and a great place to hang out. But for my money, Champions is a better game.
  • Options
    errandrunnererrandrunner Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Something else that I notice that I'm actually surprise no one else has mentioned...the NPCs...they actually keep up with you!!!
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Something else that I notice that I'm actually surprise no one else has mentioned...the NPCs...they actually keep up with you!!!

Had a NPC jump all the way up a 6 story building just to say good job.

That be the fabled "magic gene" from Champions lore in action :P
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    knightowlx1knightowlx1 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Echoing what a few others have mentioned, as far as things they like or enjoy better in CO vs. CoH:

Hideouts are very cool, specifically for the fact that they're tied only to my account, and therefore not something that I might lose access to based on whether or not I've logged into the game (as happened with an SG base in CoH).

I like the Nemesis system as a means of fleshing out your own character backstory and history.

Freeform character design, definitely.

In general, the artwork (both character and vista/landscape). The character art feels less two-dimensional than CoH, and the environmental art feels more vibrant and more epic in scope.

On the other hand, I preferred Teleport in CoH, although I had only a few characters that used it as a main TP.

Also, the Chat/multi-tab system in CoH was more versatile/customizable.
  • Options
    oneheadedboyoneheadedboy Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    borg10f9 wrote: »

The power enhancement system is so much easier now with the mods

I know it's probably just because I'm new and I'm very used to COH, but the mods, and tons of other "stat" currencies that COH covered through nothing but enhancements is still overwhelming to me. I'm still working my way through builds- Like, what advantage points, tree points, all that stuff means, and how it works. I'm starting to get the hang of that but I'm afraid to read up on the gear thing. I mean so far I've just been equipping the gear that's dropped for me, aiming for what best matched my super stats.

Apparently my guy is wearing a bunch of invisible clothing that somehow magically alters his powers. But wait! I can put gems in my invisible magic clothes! It all makes sense now.

Shrug. I'll figure it out eventually.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This thread is a very cool read.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well...CO lacks Belly Shirts, that's disappointing. Also lacks supergroup bases.

Sorry, had to start with my two negatives, because I really want them :)

But positives?

Freeform! Assymetrical costumes! I think CO has the potential to have many more concepts fleshed out, due to the freeform system, so I hope they add a few new sets to the mix (maybe possible with the influx of CoH players) like Plant Control, Staves, and what have you.

I always thought CO did somethings right, it's improved since I last played, that's for sure. Much more enjoyable to play imo. Hopefully the influx of players is enough to get a bit more attention, and keep the new players.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    cptvanor wrote: »
    True. But if the poster wanted to play a Mastermind type, and the concept was open there is ways to do a pet class in CO, even though there's no AT or real framework for Pet Controller.

You can get 2 hours of a temporary Canadian Steelhead soldier controllable pet as a guaranteed drop for finishing act 1 of Whiteout. Takes about 5-8 minutes for just act 1.

and there's an UNTIL drop early in Demonflame. You can have both out at once, or at least I managed to the two times I tried. Dunno of that's a bug or WAI but it's working =).

The nice thing is both are scaled to be exactly your level. And you can get them back for free whenever you want. It's not a buff as shivans, but it's far easier to pickup. I love having the backup for escort missions with ambushes. And both are human.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I know it's probably just because I'm new and I'm very used to COH, but the mods, and tons of other "stat" currencies that COH covered through nothing but enhancements is still overwhelming to me. I'm still working my way through builds- Like, what advantage points, tree points, all that stuff means, and how it works. I'm starting to get the hang of that but I'm afraid to read up on the gear thing. I mean so far I've just been equipping the gear that's dropped for me, aiming for what best matched my super stats.

Apparently my guy is wearing a bunch of invisible clothing that somehow magically alters his powers. But wait! I can put gems in my invisible magic clothes! It all makes sense now.

Shrug. I'll figure it out eventually.

You're doing it just fine. Aiming for your super stats is the best place to start. But if you just can't find anything that has TWO of your stats, look for Constitution, Dex and Intelligence as a backup if you get one of your prime stats and one of these three. Con gives you more HP, Dex gives you crits and Int gives you global end reduction and recharge reduction (both) in your powers. So those are handy for almost everyone.

Those gems you mention can shortcut the process by buffing single aspects, like +crit chance or +max HP if there is a specific feature you're looking at getting. Think of them like set bonuses from CoX and you'll figure it out really fast.

Also, DO NOT WASTE TIME CRAFTING unless you specifically enjoy it. There is literally no benefit right now. Nothing requires it. You can sell those gems (mods) for a ton of cash on the auction house, and if you're patient you can buy any mod you want cheaper and easier than crafting one. So really, unless you enjoy it, don't think you NEED to do it. Because you totally don't. Unlike CoX where the invention system "wasn't mandatory" but really it kinda was.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    You can get 2 hours of a temporary Canadian Steelhead soldier controllable pet as a guaranteed drop for finishing act 1 of Whiteout. Takes about 5-8 minutes for just act 1.

and there's an UNTIL drop early in Demonflame. You can have both out at once, or at least I managed to the two times I tried. Dunno of that's a bug or WAI but it's working =).

The nice thing is both are scaled to be exactly your level. And you can get them back for free whenever you want. It's not a buff as shivans, but it's far easier to pickup. I love having the backup for escort missions with ambushes. And both are human.

1- first its for an hour (all sidekick devices are an hour)
    2- you must've bugged or something because they are sidekick devices, and you can only use 1 sidekick device at a time.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Some of the Westside missions drop a "Summon Gang War" device; those have a level, but can be useful even beyond their level both as supplementary damage and a distraction. And they do work at the same time as Sidekick devices; kind of fun to watch a big bad fighting three Purple Gangsters and a Steelhead Soldier while I'm prepping my big attack... :biggrin:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!