test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Third Annual CORP Fest!

thereldinthereldin Posts: 50 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Fan Base Alpha
What is CORP Fest?

CORP Fest is a yearly event that celebrates the anniversaries of both Champions Online and the Champions Online Roleplay community. The celebration is is held for an entire weekend, allowing players to participate in our massive Costume Contest and our epic PvP Tournaments. This is our way of saying THANK YOU for being apart of the CORP Community as well as a huge Thank you for playing the game we all enjoy.

When is CORP Fest?

CORP Fest will begin on Saturday, September 15th at 1 PM server time (that is also 1 PM PST/4PM EST/8PM GMT). Saturday will be the day we host our Costume Contest which will have up to 11 different categories including such themes as: Classic, Fantasy, Mister Millennium and Miss Universe, and more!

On Sunday, September 16th (beginning at 12 PM server time - an hour earlier than Saturday), we will be hosting our PvP Extravaganza! Several tournaments will be going on such as our Singles, Silver Archetype, and 3 vs.3 Team PvP Tournaments.

The Singles Tournament will begin at 12 PM server while the Silver Archetype Tournament will begin at 2 PM server, followed shortly by the Team vs Team Tournament an hour later at 3 PM server.

(These are estimated times and may change depending on how many people sign up! Players are expected to arrive on time and must PM a judge if they cannot make the Tournament.)

Those who participate in our Singles Tournament will be able to sign up for one of two categories: Hardcore (for competitive PvPers) or Casual (for less experienced PvPers and Concept builds). Players will be required to submit their builds in full detail and also test them against our panel of judges in order to be accepted into any of the Tournaments. For more information regarding our rules and regulations, please check out the PvP Section of this thread.

Is CORP Fest In-character?

This may be something you're pondering, right? Well then, to answer your question: it's as much in-character as you want it to be. The whole point of the celebration is fun and you may take as much or as little as you want from the whole thing for your RP.

What kind of prizes can we expect?

As with previous CORP Fests, winners of different categories for Costume Contests will get the chance to earn in-game currency as well as costume pieces and devices!

But that's not all!

The top 3 winners of the "Best of CORP Fest" category will get the chance to win...Art commissions of their characters!

Oooh, but wait! We're not done yet! The winners of each PvP Tournament division will ALSO win art commissions of their characters!

The artists have yet to be determined but stay tuned to find out who will be doing the commissions!

I want to help out by donating!

So you want to donate something do you? Well then! We greatly appreciate any donations that you have to offer since it will help very much for our happy little celebration!

Currently we are taking these donations:
  • in-game currency
  • costume pieces (Uncommon or rare pieces only please!)
  • devices (become devices, magnifier/shrinker devices, Bloodmoon devices or other rare/uncommon items)
  • real world cash donations

Real world cash donations will go towards the funding of the art commission prizes for CORP Fest as well as CORP itself. The total amount we receive for cash donations will determine which artist and what quality we may be able to get for the art prizes.

If you have any in-game items or currency to donate, please contact or send your items via in-game mail with the title ?CORP Fest donations? to:

@Reldin
@thequimper
@leetsepeak

If you have any real world cash donations, please send via paypal to:

r3ldin@yahoo.com

Please Note: When sending money via Paypal, please send the money as personal > gift. This will allow you to send the full amount and not be taxed by paypal.

Contact Information

Should you have any questions regarding CORP Fest, you may send an in-game mail to any of the following people.

If you are planning on signing up for any of the PvP Tournament categories, please be sure to contact one of the following people to submit build information. To make sending build information easier, please use PowerHouse:

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html

You may also send a forum PM!
Post edited by thereldin on

Comments

• thereldinthereldin Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Costume Contest Information:
    • The CORP Fest Costume contest is made up of 11 different categories, one of which will coincide with the "Best of" category.
    • Characters are allowed to participate in multiple categories.
    • Players are allowed to enter multiple characters, suggesting that certain characters do not fit well into specific categories.
    Costume Contest Host:
    • Azunai@Reldin

Costume Contest Judges:

Contest Categories:
    • Best Costume of CORP Fest 2012
    • People's Choice: A returning category for CORP Fest. Players will get the chance to vote for their favorite costume of CORP Fest and submit their entries to one of the contest judges. Please be sure to vote for other people and not for yourself!
    • Best Looking Villain: A new category for CORP Fest. Players will be able to show off their Villain designs!
    • Classic: Includes costumes of Silver and Golden ages.
    • Modern: Includes costumes of modern day heroes, grimdark heroes, and anti-heroes.
    • Technological: Robots, cyborgs, androids and power armor users.
    • Fantasy: Mythical, beastly, other worldly, and legendary icon (gods) costumes.
    • Anthropomorphic: Best looking animal-looking person.
    • Novelty: Includes best homage to a movie, tv, comic book, video game character or best Comedic looking costume.
    • Casual Friday: Show off your character's civilian costumes. It can be very casual or nicely dressed.
    • Mister Millennium and Miss Universe: Most handsome male and sexiest female.

People's Choice Information:

As mentioned, People's Choice is a returning category to CORP Fest's Costume Contest.

Here's how it works:
    • Players will get to vote for THEIR favorite costume for CORP Fest during the "Best of CORP Fest" judging.
    • Players will need to send their vote to a designated judge on who their favorite is.
    • Players may NOT vote for themselves and MUST choose another person to vote for.
    • The person with the most votes for People's Choice will win artwork of their character!

Prize Information:

Best Costume of CORP Fest 2012:
    • 1st place: Artwork (Artist TBA) + more (TBA)
    • 2nd place: Artwork (Artist TBA) + more (TBA)
    • 3rd place: Artwork (Artist TBA) + more (TBA)
    • 4th place: Prizes TBA
    • 5th place: Prizes TBA

People?s Choice:
    • Winner: Artwork (Artist TBA)

Best Looking Villain:
    • Winner: Will receive a very special prize!

Classic, Modern, Technological, Fantasy, Anthropomorphic, Novelty, and Casual:
    • 1st place: Prizes TBA
    • 2nd place: Prizes TBA
    • 3rd place: Prizes TBA

Mister Millennium and Miss Universe:
    • Mister M Winner: Prizes TBA
    • Miss U Winner: Prizes TBA
    edited August 2012
    PvP Tournament Information:
    • Characters are encouraged to be level 40 to participate.
    • There are two divisions of the Singles PvP tournament: Hardcore and Casual
    • There will be a 3 vs. 3 tournament for Hardcore players only.
    • Players will be required to submit their entire build in detail in order to participate. (Please use PowerHouse to submit your build.)
    • A panel of judges will determine which category your character?s build will fit into.
    • Several rules and regulations will be implanted for balance (See details for each category).
    • In order to win a match, you must KO your opponent or have the judges make a call if there is a tie.

PvP Tournament Host:
    • Azunai@Reldin

PvP Tournament Judges:

Hardcore Category: (Single person, Lvl 40):
    • This category is designed for those who are avid PvPers and seek to dominate in the ring.
    • Characters must be level 40 to participate.
    • Players must outline their character build upon tournament sign up. (Please use PowerHouse to submit your build.)
    • Players may not use abilities that stack damage buffs before a duel begins. Forms are excluded from this.
    • Players may not use Perma Stealth builds. Should you enter Stealth too many times, you may be disqualified. The stealth from Evasive Maneuvers IS allowed. Powers such as Smoke Grenade are NOT allowed.
    • Players may NOT use any devices for the Tournament.
    • Players may not use teleport or tunneling travel powers.
    • Best 2 out of 3 matches will win a round.
    • Matches have a maximum time limit of 7 minutes, with a warning at 5 minutes.
    • Should a round end in a draw, judges will judge on: skill, technique, and tactical use of abilities.

Examples of Hardcore Fighters:
    • Players who exclusively use dragon?s wrath.
    • Players who are spec?d to deal a great amount of DPS.

Casual Category: (Single person, Lvl 25+, recommended Lvl 40 ):
    • This category is designed for those seeking to compete in PvP, but are not an avid PvPer.
    • Characters are encouraged to be at least level 25 to participate.
    • Players must outline their character build upon tournament sign up. (Please use PowerHouse to submit your build.)
    • Players may not use abilities that stack damage buffs before a duel begins. Forms are excluded from this.
    • Players may not use Perma Stealth builds. Should you enter Stealth too many times, you may be disqualified. The stealth from Evasive Maneuvers IS allowed. Powers such as Smoke Grenade are NOT allowed.
    • Should a round end in a draw, judges will judge on: skill, technique, and tactical use of abilities.

Examples of Casual Fighters:
    • Characters who are not built to DPS.
    • Characters who are built to be thematic such as growth or mixed powersets.
    • Players with very little PvP experience.

Silver Archetype Tournament

A new addition to CORP Fest. Free-to-play players will be allowed to enter the Tournament with a special bracket of their very own!
    • This category is designed for Free-to-play players.
    • Characters are encouraged to be at least level 25 to participate.

Team PvP Tournament

Another new addition to CORP Fest. Players will be able to take part in 3 versus 3 competitions! This category is for Hardcore PvP enthusiasts only and not for the faint of heart!
    • This category is designed for those who are avid PvPers and seek to dominate in the ring.
    • Characters must be level 40 to participate.
    • Players must submit a list of team members.
    • Each player must outline their character?s build upon tournament sign up. (Please use PowerHouse to submit your build.)
    • Matches have a maximum time limit of 15 minutes, with a warning at 12 minutes.

Prize Information:
    • First place winners of each category will receive artwork of their character(s). The artist has yet to be determined.
    • Second place winners of the Singles Categories (Hardcore, Casual) will receive artwork of their character(s). The artist has yet to be determined.
  • minivarknightminivarknight Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Corp is awesome. If you wanna meet some rockin' and goofy, and good folks, come on and check it out!
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Wow! Now this is a massive undertaking! Bravo for your hard work in pre-planning! (unfortunately it's going to get a lot harder, and from experience people tend to backout when they realize work is involved lol)

If you need help running this event let me know what you need and I'll see if I can find what your looking for or donate my own time to assist in a neutral fashion. I can give you a precise guarantee of what I can commit to 100% by the end of August, and not before. As such I'm glad to see this being announced now, with plenty of time for people to schedule.

PS: Is there an ethics oversight or appeal committee for this event? If not, it would be wise to create one for such a large event.
  • angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This needs to be advertised HERE too :biggrin:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
    edited August 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    Wow! Now this is a massive undertaking! Bravo for your hard work in pre-planning! (unfortunately it's going to get a lot harder, and from experience people tend to backout when they realize work is involved lol)

If you need help running this event let me know what you need and I'll see if I can find what your looking for or donate my own time to assist in a neutral fashion. I can give you a precise guarantee of what I can commit to 100% by the end of August, and not before. As such I'm glad to see this being announced now, with plenty of time for people to schedule.

PS: Is there an ethics oversight or appeal committee for this event? If not, it would be wise to create one for such a large event.

Hehe, yep. We've had folks backout for the PvP tournaments, but they competitors. This is our third year doing it, but we've had perfect attendance for our hosts/judges. As of now we have plenty of folks helping out with the event, but I definitely appreciate the offer!

As for your question, our panel of judges are rather experienced in both the costume and PvP aspect, so you won't see them playing favorites or anything of that sort, especially when it comes down to the costume contest. As for appeals, we definitely take those into consideration for the Tournaments should someone protest for one.

This needs to be advertised HERE too :biggrin:

Awesome suggestion. Just posted there now.
  • forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hey Reldin, I've added both CORP's CC and PvP Tourney to the Contests channel's MotD in-game and Strax has it up on the list here on the forums. Hope I get a chance to be on then!
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
    edited August 2012
    Hey Reldin, I've added both CORP's CC and PvP Tourney to the Contests channel's MotD in-game and Strax has it up on the list here on the forums. Hope I get a chance to be on then!

Thanks!

Also, we have our sign-up list for the PvP Tournament here for people interested in signing up:

http://championsonlineroleplayers.shivtr.com/forum_threads/1199365
  • c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It's events like these that restore my faith in CO. Not Cryptic, just the player base. A big thanks to all those involved, especially since some idiots think griefing RPers is fun and yet despite that, they put all this effort into providing entertainment for everyone. As a non role player, I salute you all. After farming Hi Pan, I have most costume pieces except the belt, send a tell if you need some.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • somethingwitty94somethingwitty94 Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    After struggling long and hard to remember my password, I have come to say:

Yes, please, do come to CORPFest. It'll be fun on the bun.
  • quimplettequimplette Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Giving this a bump. We had a ton of fun the past two years running CORPfest. Swing by and join us for a two day SUPERPARTY.
  • darkblade984darkblade984 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This CORPfest thing is pretty fun.

GO TO IT.
    edited August 2012
    We're still looking for tournament sign-ups! If you want to participate, check out the PvP rules in the first post and check out the sign-up list here:

http://championsonlineroleplayers.shivtr.com/forum_threads/1199365

We're also looking for donations still. If you can help donate, the help would be appreciated!
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited September 2012
    Moving to Fan Base Alpha and stickying. I'll try to be there for at least some of the events, though as a weekend it'll be tricky.
    edited September 2012
    Check out some of the examples we gave as prizes!

These are our first prize winners, drawn by Taclobanon.

http://championsonlineroleplayers.shivtr.com/forum_threads/1021246

And examples of our second/third/people's choice prizes, drawn by Suppa-rider.

http://championsonlineroleplayers.shivtr.com/forum_threads/976645
    edited September 2012
    We're getting closer to this weekend's celebration! Instance and locations will be provided in a few days. Be sure to consider signing up for the big PvP tournament!
    edited September 2012
    Alright folks, the moment of truth is almost here!

For the costume contest tomorrow, we will be hitting up the Millennium City Powerhouse Theater. So stop on by and show off your stuff. It's going to be a big one!

The PvP Tournament for Sunday however...we may have one of two possible locations. The first will be the middle stadium area outside of the Powerhouse entrance in the Ren Center (Instance 7 or any instance that has the least amount of people at the time). The anniversary stuff should be out of the way by then so the area will be open. Should we use the other location (the location we did our very first CORP Fest), it will be a little south-west of the Ren Center. We'll post a map location if we decided to go with the second and we'll let everyone know via the "Contests" channel (for you non CORP-ers) on where to go!

One more mention about the PvP Tournament: We will be taking last minute sign ups on Sunday at noon for about 30-45 mins. We won't officially begin the Tournament until 1PM server.
  • r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited September 2012
    This Contest was ruled by buddy favoritism...

Ive atleast 2 sources who are aware of that...

http://imageshack.us/a/img811/1166/buddyfavoritism.jpg

The Truth is out there !
  • stmothstmoth Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Isn't it always favoritism in costume contests?

edited September 2012
    r9xchaos wrote: »

The Truth is out there !

While we ended up picking a lot of the same people this wasn't due to favoritism. I'm friends with almost everyone in the CORP community. I didn't spend hours farming for prizes to give away and donate 1100 G from my own virtual pocket just for the express purpose of handing it out to my friends. If I wanted to give things to my friends, I would just give it to them. I don't need the pretext of a contest to do it.

The judges picked who had the best costumes for each contest based on their own tastes and then we discussed who we could agree on to win. We did feel bad we picked a few of the same people multiple times but it would have been more disingenuous to just pick people we didn't like for the sake of 'evening things out'. I'm sorry you didn't win anything. I know I fought to get you in the rankings a few times but I'll stand by the final decisions we made.

At the end of the day, we're only accountable to our community and the people who took the time and effort to donate to us. All of our prizes were donations from our own community who trusted the judges enough to make fair and balanced decisions.
  • spacedazeespacedazee Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2012

The Truth is out there !

Saying something like that is pretty much saying "Everyone who won didn't deserve to win."

I won a category and I didn't know anyone from CORP at all. Are you saying I was picked because of favoritism even though I knew none of the judges? Or I just lucked out that round? Or that certain rounds were rigged and others weren't?

-Edit-

On a side note. I wanna say thank you to everyone at CORP. I really did have fun and still couldn't believe it when I saw my name called. Even while I was looking at my name on the screen part of me was very "No way... me?" about it. It was awesome seeing everyone's costumes and great to show mine off.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thesprawlerthesprawler Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited September 2012

The Truth is out there !

We actually debated for a long time between your carnivalesque costume in casual and the other contestant who would take 3rd. I loved that costume but, after the deliberation, we thought, based on our opinions, the other was a teensy bit better. We were deliberately not looking at global names to do our best to avoid any subconscious favoritism.
    At the end, I'd only just realized that the winners of the categories were often the same person. That really makes sense. You'd think that someone good at one particular costume would also be good at another.
    Whether that's fair or not is another matter. I think, considering it, next time, we may well decide on rules to avoid repeat winners, something like being able to only enter two categories and then best in show. Something like that.

I'm deeply sorry if you, or anyone else there, felt like we were playing favorites because we definitely, definitely weren't. Iirc, Veiran was a repeat winner. I don't really know Veiran, but they had some killer costumes. And that's what it came down to. It's what we judges believed was good looking and fitting to the category at hand. If you don't agree that what we chose was good, that's fine. But please don't suggest we chose them because "they were our friends". They are our friends. They also have good costumes. Only one of those was a factor in our decision and it wasn't because I have a laugh with them every now and then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • heathermooreheathermoore Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This is probably, yes, one of the situations in which a group's leadership structure ought to take active steps to avoid even giving the appearance of favoritism, for the benefit of the community as a whole and to foster an environment of encouragement and inclusiveness. Particularly now, with CO experiencing a large influx of new players grieving over their old game and looking to create new social bonds.
    edited September 2012
    Yeah yeah just wait for the pictures... you see how random and boring that costumes looked... compared to the other participants...

take a close look at "Wreckage" who won the "Villain" contest... lol its a joke really...

Hades was looking more evil and than wreckage and also some others looked more like badass villains than wreckage...

then ethere was Atomac who won 2 categories... ( or more ) wich really really bad costume... directly near him there were 2 awesome costumes wich were created with some rafiness... you cant tell me that it isnt suspicious when "close friends" of the organisator win in that contest while using the most awful costumes ive ever seen.. at first i thought it was a bad joke...

the truth is out there , but it needs peopel with open minds to see the thruth...

I wouldnt have said something.. but many peopel talked to me and asked if this was a joke...or just favoritism of buddies...
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yeah yeah just wait for the pictures... you see how random and boring that costumes looked... compared to the other participants...

take a close look at "Wreckage" who won the "Villain" contest... lol its a joke really...

Hades was looking more evil and than wreckage and also some others looked more like badass villains than wreckage...

then ethere was Atomac who won 2 categories... ( or more ) wich really really bad costume... directly near him there were 2 awesome costumes wich were created with some rafiness... you cant tell me that it isnt suspicious when "close friends" of the organisator win in that contest while using the most awful costumes ive ever seen.. at first i thought it was a bad joke...

the truth is out there , but it needs peopel with open minds to see the thruth...

I wouldnt have said something.. but many peopel talked to me and asked if this was a joke...or just favoritism of buddies...

As the player of that Hades Thank you.
    Though I fall int he line of those upset with how things went, and will probably never take part in such again, I do want to atleast thank those of CORP for setting up the event. They put hard work into it.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • strangesidestrangeside Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I have this to say: you say people who were friends were given special treatment, but the examples you pick show how wrong you are. Atomac literally joined less than a month ago I think; Wreckage is also not someone we really hang out with OOC, I believe. (not to say we dislike him, but I personally don't know the guy)

As for the "darkblade.jpg" you have. DB placed in a few categories, DEFINITELY not that many. I think at MOST it was 2 or 3.

Your methods of arguing don't have any solid ground; it's all about how "awful" some characters are versus what you thought was good. That's called personal taste.
    edited September 2012
    Ive seen that coming, an argument like you have just posted .. ive predicted something like that in the other thread...

I expected that people of your community will try to discredit me as soon as i expose your actions...

as in any mafia there is alot of things to do to prepare such conspiracy...from making seperate accounts to brbing people..

viewing the fact that this CORP is collecting donations via paypal i would not wonder what else fishy business hides behind that "community"...

I noticed this already in other CCs too... where 90% or people wondered about the decisions of the judges..and when my sources were login in alt accounts to research about this they found a plenty of facts..

BUT those organisators where not collection cash via Paypal ...

i will not rest at the investigation on this..."CORP case" and there ARE peopel who already joined me... you've just made an enemy with your fishy mafia tactics...
  • leetsepeakleetsepeak Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This is amazing.

We'll talk with our Video Game Button Men and send them over to your Video Game House so you sleep with the Video Game Fishes. Mark my words, you'll wake up with a Video Game Horse in your Video Game Bed.
    Dingleberries.
    edited September 2012
    Ive seen that coming, an argument like you have just posted .. ive predicted something like that in the other thread...

I expected that people of your community will try to discredit me as soon as i expose your actions...

as in any mafia there is alot of things to do to prepare such conspiracy...from making seperate accounts to brbing people..

viewing the fact that this CORP is collecting donations via paypal i would not wonder what else fishy business hides behind that "community"...

I noticed this already in other CCs too... where 90% or people wondered about the decisions of the judges..and when my sources were login in alt accounts to research about this they found a plenty of facts..

BUT those organisators where not collection cash via Paypal ...

i will not rest at the investigation on this..."CORP case" and there ARE peopel who already joined me... you've just made an enemy with your fishy mafia tactics...

... you HONESTLY believe people made SEPARATE ACCOUNTS and BRIBED PEOPLE to win an ONLINE VIDEO GAMES contest. Really?
    edited September 2012

Wait.. wait... WAIT. Are you seriously comparing an MMO guild to a Mafia? And really think there's some hidden conspiracy for a Costume Contest? Who would put that kind of work into it? Do you really think these people went. "I want to get all these people and offer prizes just to give them to my friends!" Some of whom you're complaining about, didn't turn out to be as close of friends as you thought?

Do you think that everyone who won didn't deserve to win? Every single one? If your answer is "No, just a few of them." Then how could it possibly be rigged? Why would they 'rig' just a few of the winners and not all of them? Vivi got Peoples Choice. You telling me that was rigged too? That would have been the easiest to lie about.

All this really sounds like is a bunch of sore losers. "I didn't win, it HAD to be rigged." You were setting yourself in front of people to be judged on their personal preference and ideas, not yours.

I am personally offended by this. I feel you are saying myself, my fiance, my friend and every other winner who won in the CORP CC is just a big fraud and a liar.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who showed up and had fun. Sorry of course to anyone who didn't get picked but we had a LOT of entrants and so many good costumes. For people who stuck around after it all ended, I did try to get out to the crowd and hand out bonus prizes to people who hadn't won anything and stuck around the whole way through. I was happy to see so many new faces and I hope some of you give RP in this game (and CORP) a shot. It's a fun little community and we try to welcome everyone with open arms.
    edited September 2012
    I'm sorry if this has caused any ill feelings for some of you, but I realize there are some rather broad and...'interesting' accusations going on around here. I understand your concerns for our judges playing favorites. However, our winners are people who are both CORPers and Non-CORPers. Some of our winners have barely joined CORP within the past month, so they are fairly new to the whole thing--some have even been coming over from City of Heroes. Yes, some of our winners are our friends, but most of the people on the list our judges don't really interact with on a personal level.

This year we opened the event for Non-CORPers to join--though last year we also posted the event for public view as well. We usually kept this event private for our own small community, but for our third year we wanted others to get in on the fun. And this is the most important thing to remember: fun. We wanted to do this to give back to the community we belong to (both the CORP and CO community). This event--and any past costume contests (non-CORP included) are events thrown by people willing to give their time and effort to allow folks to enjoy themselves and win a possible prize. Nobody is forced to do these things and these events are done out of love for our communities, whichever one we belong to. As for people taking the losses to heart: it's human nature. Personally, I don't blame people for getting upset at not winning some of the categories and I myself, may have chosen different people for winners, but alas, I was not judging unless we needed a tie-breaker.

I do want people to know we are getting some feedback on the CORP forums about the event today and some of it we will be implementing for next year's CORP Fest. So some changes to the event will happen. We have done so for the past few years now with every CORP Fest, so we are not always set in our ways and are willing to make changes to rules and such if there is feedback.

As for the accusation on what we do with the money...WELL...I think these threads will vouch for us:

http://championsonlineroleplayers.shivtr.com/forum_threads/976645

http://championsonlineroleplayers.shivtr.com/forum_threads/1021246

That is what we do with our donations. These art pieces are all commissions we gave our winners for last year's CORP Fest. This year we accumulated $210 for art prizes and we intend to use the money on the commissions for this year's winners. Any left over cash is used to maintain our website so we can keep our forums active and advertiseless.

HOWEVER...

I want to move into a more positive note about the event. We have posted our winners and people may check them out on the following thread:

http://championsonlineroleplayers.shivtr.com/forum_threads/1238648

Congratulations to ALL our winners and congratulations to @Mr.Bushido1991 for taking home this year's "People's Choice" and to @micromax2000 for taking home first place in this year's "Best of CORP Fest" category!
    edited September 2012
    I really do want to thank you guys again. I had a lot of fun. I was there for every category.. even though I knew I didn't stand a change for... most of them. ^~^

It was hectic and wonderful and I do want to apologize for letting the drama on this board get to me. This area should be for the good stuff and the negative can go on the other board that I'm also arguing in about the same subject matter.

You guys are great. Keep up the awesome work. And If you do this again next year (and I don't have to work) I'm gonna be there!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    ... you HONESTLY believe people made SEPARATE ACCOUNTS and BRIBED PEOPLE to win an ONLINE VIDEO GAMES contest. Really?

if they can make real cash out of it? yep...
  • krunkaliciouskrunkalicious Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Under the circumstances, it's not really that surprising that accusations of favoritism are being made. You give that many wins to just a few players, and it's going to happen.
  • veiran2veiran2 Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Howdy!

I've been in the CORP OOC Channel In-Game, and checking the forums now and then since I started playing again maybe 2-3 months or so ago.. Before that I joined in 2010 but only played for like 2-3 weeks. I've yet to grow the balls to step up and jump into RP yet (Long time RPer but haven't done it in so long I'm wary of being horrible and rusty, plus I wanted to just play the game first and settle in).

So basically I don't KNOW anyone in CORP, some names are getting familiar from seeing them chatting in the OOC channel, haven't RPed with anyone, joined anyone's SG, etc (not yet, anyway). Hell I don't even really know who all the moderators ARE..

Yet at the CC I won 5 different times. Is it because I'm buddies with CORP Mods? Uh, I'd think the answer to that would be an obvious no. Odds are the CC was the first time any of them even saw my characters. And I noticed a few that won are people I'd recently seen just join the game from CoH, were they best buds with the judges or moderators? not likely.

Here's the thing, if someone's a good costume designer, the majority of their costumes are probably good.. I don't think I've ever met someone with one AWESOME looking character, and all their other characters look terrible.. Same with someone who really knows how to build a character mechanically.. Odds are all their chars are built well and badass, because doing that is a skill they have. If their char beats yours in a duel will people assume it's because they're buddies with the Devs?

At the end of the day, it's just silliness. Any big CC has this stuff come up, I had to make an identical post in CoH after one of those big Server-Wide CC's, people complaining about judge bias. I won Mr. Virtue on the Virtue server and had to point out that I didn't know any of those guys either.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, it's just for fun. Did any of us LOSE anything from standing there and being judged? It's not like the CC had an entrance fee or something.. We sat around, had some fun, got to look at a bunch of cool costumes, and some people won some extra bonus stuff, no one lost anything. But complaints about CC's happen after every CC, the bigger it is, the louder the complaints are..

Just wanted to point out that if some unknown guy can win 5 times, odds are the CC wasn't all that biased, y'know?

P.S. Oh, and r9xchaos? Yeah one of those categories I won was Best Villain, aka Wreckage.. Sorry if you feel my character is a "Joke", but people have different tastes, yeah? Now go put on a diaper and get outta here, yer butthurt's leakin' on my shoes, son.
    edited September 2012
    it was so clear that something like this will be posted...and tomorrow santa claus gives free gifts to everyone...
    edited September 2012
    Under the circumstances, it's not really that surprising that accusations of favoritism are being made. You give that many wins to just a few players, and it's going to happen.

So people with good costumes shouldn't receive the nomination because they might have one before? It should be "fair" and spread out evenly?

That's wrong. Doing that just makes it a disingenuous win.
  • formerlynefandusformerlynefandus Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yes it is generally clear that people do not like disingenuous assertions being made about their community and will respond in defense of said community when someone makes accusations against them. You have an excellent grasp of that concept.

Honestly I can say there were a number of times I disagreed with the judges, there were a lot of costumes out there. A lot of really great costumes out there. I entered into every category and only placed once. I can count the number of costume contests I've gone to in CoH/V and CO (aside from CORPfest annually) on one hand. If I was to count CORPFest then I would need one hand and two extra fingers.

I like making costumes, often times joke, parody or an IC humourous costume, like something a character would wear to an office halloween party et aliteris.

I was honestly surprised when I was chosen, I always am. The very few contests I've been to for costumes (again discounting CORPfest) I've only placed in one of them, and that was with a character I made tongue-in-cheek to represent an innocuous part of Faerie which no-one in their right-mind would ever treat as a legitimate anything. I have no idea what moved the judges of that contest to choose my absolutely bizarre and ridiculous character.

You can see on the CORP community forum how many times I've placed in total during a CORPFest, along with how many times other people placed. Last year a very large super group called the Ultimate Guardians which largely has nothing to do in the CORP community directly aside from a handful of members who happen to be/have been part of CORP cleaned house pretty well when they were extended an invitation. Those folks have some really creative and interesting uses for the Costume Creator of Champions.

Costume Contests are Subjective, that's a fact. Someone once said "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." And they were right. But the whole point of CORPFest is to cel

And as you should see my name is no longer NEFANDUS.

From now on I am to be called Nefarious. And while CORP has no Mafia nor any Money Laundering, I once ran an In Character Mafia on CoV so I guess I could fit that bill if I had the free time to do so again.

As to the "taking" of money through paypal assertion I know for a fact that no one was getting seriously fleeced. I prefer not to make my contributions public as Reldin can confirm because the whole point is not about who gives what-it's about being a community and showing appreciation for the good times we share. However to alleviate the disingenuous assertions I decided to donate $200.00 for the cause of getting art for people who make good costumes without any expectation or guarantee of anything. You can see what Reldin posted as the entire amount and do the math.

If Reldin did as I asked he was the only person prior to this post to know that. In fact given the nature of my work fueling FRAC (crude oil/natural gas drilling) sites I fully expected to be 50-300 miles away from home for the duration of CORPFest. As it is I was fortunate to be able to attend the First Day of it and I will not be able to attend the Second Day as I will in fact be 139 miles from home in about 6 and a half hours.

I make a better than average living doing what I do and decided that now that I have a little extra money again what better use for it than to support the community of CORP. If you're unfamiliar with how commissioned digital artists work Paypal is the most commonly accepted form of payment and one of the easier and safer methods to process person-to-person transactions over the internet.

I would have rather not made it known because I'd rather people just enjoy what they have and not think about who was behind it but sadly for clarity's sake I had to state this.

CORP is one of the better online communities I've seen, spanning well over a decade of online gaming. Is it perfect, hell no. But it's generally not taking itself too seriously, is quite helpful and more inclined to accepting people than the majority I've seen.

Signed yours truly,
    Nefarius
  • epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Awright, since I'm also one of the players that was called out by the OP...

I've only been plaving Champions Online for a maximum of two weeks, tops, often splitting my time between here and City of Heroes.

Yeah, I can admit that I just so happen to know Reldin (the organizer of the CORPfest) from elsewhere, but he has already stated that he wasn't actively judging and was only needed for tie-breaking votes. There's still three other judges to account for, all of whom I might have engaged in conversation over the CORP channel maybe once over the time I've played-- hardly enough time to get to know someone well enough to pull something as backhanded as what the RP community is accused of.

And that's the thing: you're not just pointing fingers at a small player-base like a super group, but an entire collective of players just like the forum community at large. CORP isn't bound by membership like an SG would be, it's just a larger grouping of the community that happens to be drawn to the same interest. An SG wouldn't even let its own members participate. CORP has run this event specifically for themselves in the past, and this time invited the community at large. Does that mean that only the "outside guests" be awarded for attending. That isn't necessarily fair for CORP, then, given their precedent.

As for my participation in the contest itself, I was first in a category and runner-up in the Best-Of. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that everyone was called back for the last round of judging, I would have thought that a "Best-Of' contest would have simply included the winners of the previous rounds, since that's what it implies.

I was personally surprised to have received the nod for both of my nominations, considering that even I personally felt that the runners up in the Classic category probably should have supplanted me. And those people beside me that "should have been picked" according to the OP? An admittedly good Rocketeer clone and another costume that I can't remember if it even applied to the theme: at that time, a lot of people were lined up on the Theater Stage still even though they weren't wearing "classic" style costumes.

I often enter CCs in City of Heroes and I often here similar complaints to these: "The judges always pick their friends." "Why did that one win? My/his/hers was obviously better." "Only costumes with VIP or exclusive parts seem to win."

My personal opinion, or any other participant's, doesn't matter. The judges' do. It's a simple conclusion that if it's a fact that you don't like, then don't participate in any costume contest, ever. Respect our points of view, and don't force yours on others.

The burden of proof is still on the OP to actually prove that "favoritism" was going on, something that's more-than-likely impossible unless she miraculously manages to get the judges' chat logs themselves from yesterday. And even then? She's already proven to be vindictively manipulative to try and get her point across (with the highlighted letters quote), that it's likely to happen again if she gets any more "proof" to fuel the fire.
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
    edited September 2012
    The judges for today's PvP Tournament decided to change the location for the tournament. The location can be found here at the inventions store:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Reldin/location1.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Reldin/location2.jpg
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A little late to this, but yeah... you folks should have probably limited wins to one per contestant. Accusations are flying all about.

No offense, Rel- but you won't be seeing me at any of these events for some time to come unless it's laid out better. One CORP veteran winning 3 categories is a bit silly.
  • veiran2veiran2 Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So you want fake wins? where people win who's costume isn't the best, but the person who has the best one already won something else so they're disqualified?

Doesn't really sound like what a contest is about.
    edited September 2012
    Far from it. But limiting a person to one win per contest isn't unreasonable. There's no real reason someone should be winning multiple categories with one costume anyway. One prize per player isn't complicated- it's actually pretty common, and I'm surprised that this wasn't the standard for this.

But hey, it's not my organization's reputation.
    edited September 2012
    The only two people who won more than one category for a single costume were Atomac and Soldier Boy, and one of those categories were the best-in-show, for both of them.

Again, best-in-show either implies everyone gets involved again or it's limited to the winners. Are you saying that it's logical that anyone who won any smaller category can't compete in the best-of category, even if they won?

I only had the one character with the one costume, so I kind of don't have a choice to adapt. Others are either able to change costume or alt to other characters. Heck, in City of Heroes, even I've alted to other characters and won/placed in multi-round contests held by groups I'm unfamiliar with, and *no one* has ever made a big deal about it like they have here.

(While I'm thinking about it: maybe people's global names being displayed so prominently in chat and other places my be part of the issue here. People can *know* it's the same player just by looking down. In CoH, it takes a little more work.)

Either way, don't think that notes aren't/haven't been taken here.
    ----
    edited September 2012
    Best in show/best overall/whatever is fine for the 'final win' category. I'm completely aware of how that works. However, it has been to my understanding that a player won around 3 categories.

Oh, wait. I'm arguing with CORP. I'm just going to drop it.
    edited September 2012
    Best in show/best overall/whatever is fine for the 'final win' category. I'm completely aware of how that works. However, it has been to my understanding that a player won around 3 categories.

Oh, wait. I'm arguing with CORP. I'm just going to drop it.

A player PLACED in three categories, winning I think one of them. Get your facts straight before acting passive aggressive.
    edited September 2012
    A player PLACED in three categories, winning I think one of them. Get your facts straight before acting passive aggressive.
    I also said 'it was to my understanding', implying that I wasn't certain. My point was more focused on that part being clear about people winning only one category (aside from the 'Best').

Please calm yourself.

[Edited because the drama isn't worth my time.]
    edited September 2012
    I'll consider pulling up a list of suggestions and posting it here and/or at CORP, for preplanning purposes for next time. Means I'll probably be "too involved" to run in a CORP contest again, but I'm sure there's other CCs I can get into...?

Just about to go on lunch break. It'll be later.
    ----
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Um.....pot, kettle, black........make a sentence:biggrin:
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods